• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Katori

Oct 30, 2017
So the jedi in the amber is all to setup a future releasing of hundreds of jedi or more for the next ST movies right? They don't want to have Rey train jedi for years until she's all old and such, so they'll just have them all get freed from the amber and the STs will now have hundreds or thousands of jedi overnight. Baby Yoda must have been stuck in there too.
They say in the episode that they are dead and it's a tomb. So…no?

Otherwise Obi-Wan (and other Force sensitives) would still sense them in the Force.

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Episode 4 made it click for me but it seems like every episode pulls some sort of inspiration from the first 6 movies:

Episode 1: Tatooine action / kid Leia similar to kid Anakin / By the end, Obi-Wan pushed into taking care of someone
Episode 2: ObiWan detective action
Episode 3: Duel with Anakin, one of them gets slightly BBQ'd
Episode 4: Infiltration inside Empire base, Leia interrogation

So I assume Episode 5, lil bit of Obi-Wan training and Episode 6 final duel with Vader, glimpse of hope on him being redeemable?

Jan 3, 2018
Episode 4 made it click for me but it seems like every episode pulls some sort of inspiration from the first 6 movies:

Episode 1: Tatooine action / kid Leia similar to kid Anakin / By the end, Obi-Wan pushed into taking care of someone
Episode 2: ObiWan detective action
Episode 3: Duel with Anakin, one of them gets slightly BBQ'd
Episode 4: Infiltration inside Empire base, Leia interrogation

So I assume Episode 5, lil bit of Obi-Wan training and Episode 6 final duel with Vader, glimpse of hope on him being redeemable?

Interesting, in that case I wonder if Obiwan visits Degobah. Or would it break their budget to get the Yoda puppet out of storage? They'll probably opt for a disembodied QuiGon voice.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean.. this ep was better but still not great.

There are hints of a great show here, but it's not all coming together. Reva seems like such a poorly written character, with so much promise but just.. wasted. I feel like there are a couple other Inquisitors that haven't even spoken yet?

Another thing that bugs me.. where the heck are all the Capital Ships? Shouldn't they at least be patrolling the space around these planets? The "escapes" are so comically easy it's almost insulting.

I get if Reva alone was chasing down a lead she probably doesn't have the pull to dispatch a whole Imperial Navy taskgroup.. but if fucking Vader is on the ground with concrete info about Obi-Wan Fucking Kenobi.. why wouldn't they have the sky littered with Star Destroyers?

It ends up just making everything feel very small, and Star Wars is not about feeling small.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
It ends up just making everything feel very small, and Star Wars is not about feeling small.

I feel like this is a problem with Star Wars in general? It's shouldn't feel small but it absolutely does. Every show and movie is about the same few people and bloodlines. They're afraid to move away from known characters and places. There's a whole literal universe to explore but it always comes back to the Skywalker's or whoever in the end. But it'll probably never happen when there's lucrative nostalgia to mine.

I wish they jump forward in time by 1000 years and give us brand new characters and stories.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I feel like this is a problem with Star Wars in general? It's shouldn't feel small but it absolutely does. Every show and movie is about the same few people and bloodlines. They're afraid to move away from known characters and places. There's a whole literal universe to explore but it always comes back to the Skywalker's or whoever in the end. But it'll probably never happen when there's lucrative nostalgia to mine.

I wish they jump forward in time by 1000 years and give us brand new characters and stories.

With Old & High republic stuff they're getting away from this habit but a lot of SW media has this problem.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017

Acolyte will be the first thing to be out of the skywalker saga's time frame. Should be fun.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I mean.. this ep was better but still not great.

There are hints of a great show here, but it's not all coming together. Reva seems like such a poorly written character, with so much promise but just.. wasted. I feel like there are a couple other Inquisitors that haven't even spoken yet?

Another thing that bugs me.. where the heck are all the Capital Ships? Shouldn't they at least be patrolling the space around these planets? The "escapes" are so comically easy it's almost insulting.

I get if Reva alone was chasing down a lead she probably doesn't have the pull to dispatch a whole Imperial Navy taskgroup.. but if fucking Vader is on the ground with concrete info about Obi-Wan Fucking Kenobi.. why wouldn't they have the sky littered with Star Destroyers?

Yeah, I agree with all of this. I liked the episode but these things just bother me.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

There are definitely times when it does, though not always. I think I liked the Mandalorian so much because for a long stretch there.. it was just out there, doing its own thing without needing to be directly involved. (of course even that doesn't last)

I feel like a lot of times they're making shows/etc for what people think they want, without giving enough thought to if it makes a compelling show.

All that being said, I was as excited as anyone for the further adventures of Ben Kenobi, and there is absolutely an opportunity to tell an amazing story, they just kinda failed at that I guess.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
There are definitely times when it does, though not always. I think I liked the Mandalorian so much because for a long stretch there.. it was just out there, doing its own thing without needing to be directly involved. (of course even that doesn't last)

Season 1 of Mando was the best thing Star Wars had done in decades (well, up until the last few minutes of the final episode) and then season 2 fucked it & just kept introducing existing characters and brought it all back to the Skywalker's again.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
I've been generally enjoying the show so far, but felt that Ep4 was pretty messy - the root problem being the entire premise of the episode. You're already having to tiptoe around certain things, so having to sneak into a highly secure Imperial facility - while also apparently not wanting Obi-Wan to fight Reva (or yet, at least) - on top of that all means you're really starting to stretch.

Especially in this context - sneaking into Imperial bases isn't exactly new and unheard of, but when it's been numerous close calls for Obi-Wan so far and then he gets in an out of a facility that's probably not doing much but trying to locate him specifically, it just felt like a bit much lol.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
No lie I loved the shot of those airspeeders zooming pretty fast into the Imperial hanger, their crappy little lasers pewpew'ing and then...nothing. Like from the angle and speed they both would have crashed into the back of that hangar lol.

My wife looked at me like I was a crazy person as I laughed at how bad that bit was.

On the other hand, the small, reptile-brain part of me who watched ANH at the age of 4 felt a legit thrill of "oh shit" when Vader stormed into Reva's chamber. That was some excellent "SO FULL OF FUCKING SITH RAGE" body language from Christiansen.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Ugh.

I really don't like the show despite being quite hyped for it, and it's a real shame. As my partner said, "what is the plot?" - just seems to be Obi Wan saving Leia and characters are otherwise threadbare (seriously, the sad scene after Wade died was hilarious because honestly who was that?)

It's missing something. It just doesn't feel like any of the scenes carry any emotion. The writing is off. Far too much focus on Reva as the villain when surely people are watching this for Vader.

To us, the biggest missed opportunity is that the show is supposed to be showing us how Anakin became Vader. But this Vader seems like the same Vader from A New Hope. Why aren't we seeing him talking to Palpatine now he's his puppet? Why isn't he talking about Padme and how much he misses her? He would have been much more interesting a character in this show if he wasn't total Vader yet - you still saw SOME of Anakin in him, and you see how he becomes the Vader in A New Hope.

Obviously just my opinion, but it just feels like a massive missed opportunity. To us, they've taken what should have been a really interesting bit of plot to fill in (what happens between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope) and have made it as boring and safe as they possibly could have. We aren't feeling anything.

Really hope the last 2 episodes do something interesting because this is weak.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Suggesting that people critical of the show are the same as bigots harassing an actress on twitter really sucks

It's a joke about those guys specifically, hence using the character that's literally a Trumper reference.

They ALWAYS go for "The character is the problem"

They're doing the same for Iman Vellani and Xochitl Gómez Right now

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I was talking to my dad about the most recent episode and he noted how he was getting really sick of "save X from the Imperial base" plots, having just recently watched all of Rebels for the first time. I agree, though the novelty of live action Obi Wan doing it had me not notice it personally as an annoyance, even though I've been sick of that plot in the past.

Funny trench coat gag? Is that what that was supposed to be? It wasn't funny, and I doubt anyone wants slap stick gags in this show. I bet 0% of Star Wars fans are watching it, expecting the funnies. Maybe a good end to this show for ya'll would be Grandpa Jar Jar Binks himself showing up to help Obi Wan and Leia?

I can't tell if this is serious or not. You are aware that Star Wars has had jokes and slapstick forever, right?

To us, the biggest missed opportunity is that the show is supposed to be showing us how Anakin became Vader. But this Vader seems like the same Vader from A New Hope. Why aren't we seeing him talking to Palpatine now he's his puppet? Why isn't he talking about Padme and how much he misses her? He would have been much more interesting a character in this show if he wasn't total Vader yet - you still saw SOME of Anakin in him, and you see how he becomes the Vader in A New Hope.

Was this supposed to be the plot? Vader always seemed presented as a "and also we're bringing Vader back so the two actors can work together again" as opposed to it being a Vader-central story. I'm not opposed to seeing more of the transition, but he's been at it ten years by this point so I'd imagine a lot of the transition has already happened.

I think the whole Jedi searching thing is a smaller part of the Empire. I'm sure Vader could grab a few Star Destroyers if he saw it necessary, but I'm not sure how he could justify it to anyone to give him all that military might over one guy. Vader hates him and I'm sure Palps probably wants him dead too, but neither know about Obi and Yoda's plan so it's more a loose end than an actual danger to the Empire.

Ok well wait till someone decides to kiss them all.

Anyway, I just find it too convenient, the writers must have done that for a reason.

I'm curious about this too. Something similar happened in Rebels, where they were using them as a way to send other Jedi into traps. I think it's a creepy thing so I'm intrigued to see where they go with it.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
SW always these kind of silly scenes and situations, and I thought it was a funny gag Obi Wan escaping with Leia hidden in the coat.

I guess people nowadays expect Duna writing level for SW material? IDK, ANH and ESB are not much better than this, IMO (and ROTJ is more flawed lmao)

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ulegdHU.gif

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
SW always these kind of silly scenes and situations, and I thought it was a funny gag Obi Wan escaping with Leia hidden in the coat.

I guess people nowadays expect Duna writing level for SW material? IDK, ANH and ESB are not much better than this, IMO (and ROTJ is more flawed lmao)
If that sequence was meant to be funny, they sure found an odd way to present it.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars fans complaining about Star Wars fans complaining about Star Wars while defending Star Wars using the argument that it was always just a children story (as if nobody ever wrote good children stories) and it is all just mediocre if you scrap under the surface. This thread fully delivers.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
Star Wars fans that complains about Star Wars complaining about Star Wars fans that complains about Star Wars fans which complains about Star Wars. Ok lol

TBH I've never been that much fan of SW, or maybe some of the material (OT is good but not sacred, didn't enjoy much of PT and animated series and I've been enjoying Disney material except TROS and some of Bobba Fett)

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
im kinda glad im dumb and i can enjoy dumb things

Could we just not past judgement on the people who like or dislike this series at all? Even in this supposed self deprecating way? Like you're free to enjoy it and good for you. Others are also free to dislike it (or dislike parts of it). Liking it or disliking it doesn't define any of us as humans in the big scheme.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Could we just not past judgement on the people who like or dislike this series at all? Even in this supposed self deprecating way? Like you're free to enjoy it and good for you. Others are also free to dislike it (or dislike parts of it). Liking it or disliking it doesn't define any of us as humans in the big scheme.

honestly im not even talking specifically about star wars.

there a bunch of other things that i do genuinely enjoy and i know they're dumb,

also i was talking about me, not defining anyone else at all

Oct 26, 2017
You and I both know that's not what that tweet is suggesting especially knowing the kind of person that character is suppose to represent.
I misinterpreted it because I've seen bad faith grouping before. I don't care for Reva as a character so I thought it was saying I'm like that trumper mole for thinking that

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
i would think that, but then here comes Veelk with such insightful post and reminds me that i am indeed, dumb lmao

me-star-wars.gif

I know I'm doubleposting, but I didn't want you to miss my response, that I edited in, but realized it was too late and you might miss it.

I feel like my criticism of Obi-wan has been relatively constrained, at least compared to the people who are spitting on it here. I even mentioned liking some parts. Plus, some parts I genuinely like in a backhanded sort of way. Like, the scene of Obiwan escaping because Vader cannot find it in himself to put out a small fire and his troops can't go around it, it's genuinely funny to me. I know that it's not good that it's funny because the scene is supposed to be tragic and serious, but I can't say that I wasn't entertained.

I can't say that I like the show as a serious work of art as I don't and I find it compromised, and I find it frustrating that so much of the SW fandom seems to like how compromised SW is in general, how reliant on fanservice, how it seems to all but outwardly apply totally different standards to it than they would any other story because it's Star Wars.

But I would never say that someone isn't supposed to like a story they do. Or, if I did, that was me getting away from myself and being an asshole and I am sorry for that. Straight up, if you like something, I don't think that's wrong, but it's always worth asking why you like it and would you like it if such and such was different, and trying to find out what you really get out of it, and what not. I say that to all works of media, be it Stars Wars or One Piece or whatever. I think that's what makes art worthwhile, worth taking seriously, and what it can reveal about ourselves or what kind of soceity we live in or just new life experiences. That's what I try to encourage with my takes (when I'm not shitposting, obvsly)

I don't think your dumb for simply enjoying what Obi-wan has to offer. I'm sorry if you feel isolated considering that the thread is largely negative, but it's worth acknowledging that this doesn't reflect on you at all and a lot of people do enjoy Obi-Wan along with you, both in the wider internet and even in this thread. I can't apologize for just sharing my own opinions, as I feel that's what I'm fundamentally permitted to do in a discussion board, but that doesn't mean I want you to feel less or alone for it. I respect you having your own opinion and taking joy in the show.

And who knows, maybe in some far flung future, there will be a SW show we all enjoy.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
She's absolutely awful in the role. While I think the entire show/production has opportunity, this casting was a complete blunder.

She's fine and I know she can act based off of seeing her in Queen's Gambit, it's the script that's letting her down first and foremost