• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Haha, well, we don't know why you like it either 😆

I…actually wasn't as mad at this last episode as I was with Part 3.
Episode 4 didn't get under my skin until the end with the attempted trench coat get away along with a major installation of the Empire not having more actionable defenses against two rebel ships.
That and Obi Wans confusing escape from Vader in part 3 just tells me that whoever wrote this, just didn't give as much of a fuck, and that disappoints me.
Yes. Those 'tiny' things me and others can't just lol about and move on. We bitch because we love and grew up with these stories and expect someone to put a bit more thought and effort into something we see as obviously broken. We watch these shows to escape reality for just a bit. Not to be reminded that this is just another show with actors, and dumb writers who forgot that Darth Vader can force pull a person through fire, who somehow think it's possible in any reality (unless you are in a Yosemite Sam cartoon) on any military installation to walk by soldiers with a little girls feet and a massive bulge in a huge coat to walk around unnoticed While the installation is under alert, not walk around a laser fence, etc etc.
Or a toothless, wet fart of an encounter (besides the flame torture) between two characters we've been waiting and wondering to see interact since Revenge of the Sith and years of Clone Wars/Rebels episodes. We KNOW it can and could have been better. It's just becoming obvious that the writing and directing werent capable of delivering.

That's why we dislike it. We know we should be getting better, because we've seen better.

And we don't know why You all aren't more critical of something you love and enjoy when there are obvious flaws throughout.
I had a poster here tell me I was "media illiterate" because I didn't see the poetry behind Vader's obvious intent to let Obi Wan go to torture him…better…or something. That kind of defense force for this content will keep getting us sub par content. We complain because we pay money for this shit and want them to get it right.

I'm sorry that a funny trench coat gag took you out of the fictional universe of Star Wars and reminded you that you're watching the fictional universe of Star Wars.

The show's not perfect by any means but the anger people have for it is utterly baffling to me. I liked Book of Boba too but I could at least understand the complaints there. There's a difference between "this show isn't as good as I wanted" and "no one who made this cares."

As bad as that episode was, the worst part for me was when Obi-Wan was running from the tidal wave of water, not a single drop made it through the other side of the door. It was literally right on him. How do they make the action scenes so drab and boring?

Have him slide through all wet, jump through last second with water gushing in etc. Literally anything other than what they choose would have made a better and more visually exciting scene.

It's all so underwhelming and flat.

That was weird but water was actually seeping through the door in the background, so they didn't ignore it completely. I imagine it's possible it wasn't supposed to be as gaining on him as it was but the scene played better with it getting closer and they didn't have time to reshoot with him wet.

I wonder how Ewan feels about a season 2 being greenlit. I would have to assume he felt like this was nice because it was a premium one off special event type of thing. But now it kind of takes away from the specialness of it if there is another season. And the thought of getting an alternative, more cliffhanger type of finale, instead of what was originally planned, because of this also doesn't sit well with me. I guess we'll see.

Also curious to see if they have Vader interact with Leia. That would be something.

I imagine it'll depend a lot on the story they go to for second season. As much as I enjoy the show, I don't think they can pull off the Qui Gon stuff in the two remaining episodes, so they could have a more soul searching/flashback S2 than S1 if they wanted.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
If Leia was using the force Reva would know.
Quigon didn't sense that Anakin was using the force. He could only tell via context clues before verifying it with his blood.
And then Leia being free for another 10 years of being allowed to become a senator makes no sense at all because of the Empire would kidnap her.
You're assuming that Leia being force sensitive would be information that the empire itself is privy to, if Reva herself finds out.
Also you don't need to be force sensitive to resist the probe. Hera and Rex among others have been able to
Hera did not resist the mind probe

and Rex was never mind probed? Are you thinking of Jesse? The guy who failed to resist it.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
Quigon didn't sense that Anakin was using the force. He could only tell via context clues before verifying it with his blood.

You're assuming that Leia being force sensitive would be information that the empire itself is privy to, if Reva herself finds out.

and Rex was never mind probed? Are you thinking of Jesse? The guy who failed to resist it.

Ventress probed him in the movie. He faked it to warn them by calling him Anakin.

Regardless you don't need to have the force. Several canon novels make that clear

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
"Would I like to make another one? Yeah, I would like to make another one. I had such a great time working with Deb, and the actors that we had in this were so great to work with, and the crew are just... I can't tell you. It was so wonderful to work on. I couldn't wait to get to work every day, and on a long shoot like this, that's something. Right to the end, I just loved the experience of it."
-Ewan McGregor May 2022

"And I like money." Although he may not say that part out loud.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Ventress probed him in the movie. He faked it to warn them by calling him Anakin.

Regardless you don't need to have the force. Several canon novels make that clear
That was a mind trick, not the mind probe.

The mind probe is a very specific thing that goes deeper than a mind trick.
starwars.fandom.com

Mind probe (Force power)

Mind probe was a powerful ability of the Force that allowed the user to sense or even sift through the thoughts, emotions, and memories of the victim, seeking useful information. Most Force-sensitives were capable of detecting and interpreting the immediate, surface level thoughts, memories, and...

and so far, the only people shown to successfully resist it, are a handful of force users. And even multiple force users have fallen prey to it, including Luke Skywalker himself in ROTJ.

"And I like money." Although he may not say that part out loud.
Somehow I don't think Ewan Mcgregor is all that concerned about money.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm not even sure I want to finish this show. Episode 4 was easily the worst yet.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
That was a mind trick, not the mind probe.

The mind probe is a very specific thing that goes deeper than a mind trick.
starwars.fandom.com

Mind probe (Force power)

Mind probe was a powerful ability of the Force that allowed the user to sense or even sift through the thoughts, emotions, and memories of the victim, seeking useful information. Most Force-sensitives were capable of detecting and interpreting the immediate, surface level thoughts, memories, and...

Somehow I don't think Ewan Mcgregor is all that concerned about money.

I know what the difference is. Regardless nowhere in that article is is stated that you need the force to resist. Just that it helps

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weirdest thing is it feels like they are rushing things. Feels a lot like the later seasons of GOT in that respect.

But this is only 6 episodes so it's weird why it feels so eager to get things over with.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I know what the difference is.
Then why did you bring up Rex when it never happened to him❓

Regardless nowhere in that article is is stated that you need the force to resist. Just that it helps
We've never seen someone who isn't a force sensitive successfully resist it. Even Luke couldn't when Darth Vader was in the room, leading to the discovery of Leia as his sister. It's one of those OP force powers that only a small number of individuals have fought off.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Weirdest thing is it feels like they are rushing things. Feels a lot like the later seasons of GOT in that respect.

But this is only 6 episodes so it's weird why it feels so eager to get things over with.

I noticed that rushed feeling with the beginning of this past episode, but I think otherwise the show has done ok with it. Each episode being on a specific planet helps. Obviously I wouldn't complain if we got 5-10 extra minutes each episode of Obi reflecting on stuff.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

Isn't... wasn't this supposed to be just one off series, hence the rush to wrap up whole thing up?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't... wasn't this supposed to be just one off series, hence the rush to wrap up whole thing up?

Wouldn't that lean towards letting the episodes breathe a bit more since it was supposed to be a one and done affair?

Doesn't help that a lot of things feel sloppy and slapdash too, from writing to acting and even the directing.

I noticed that rushed feeling with the beginning of this past episode, but I think otherwise the show has done ok with it. Each episode being on a specific planet helps. Obviously I wouldn't complain if we got 5-10 extra minutes each episode of Obi reflecting on stuff.

It's weird how we're planet hopping yet this is very close to Book of Boba in terms of quality and entertainment at times.

Marz

Oct 30, 2017
I don't understand what the point of this show is if it's just 6 episodes of Kenobi meandering around a couple planets. Pretty disappointed in all of Disney's Star Wars offerings

LauraLaMer

Banned
Dec 5, 2021
The show feels like it got rewritten at some point when they were told they were doing more and had to drag out the plot.

Super-Volt

Apr 19, 2021
United States
What was Obi-Wan doing on Tatooine for 19 years? What did he eventually feel about his part in the rise of the Emperor, Darth Vader, and the fall of the Jedi Order and the Republic? Likewise, Darth Vaders feelings on those things. Maybe a few flashbacks to clone wars, live format, so we see a younger Ahsoka before her new show in the glory days. How did Obi-Wan reconcile creating a monster in Darth Vader with him putting all his hopes and dreams into Luke Skywalker? Why was Obi-Wan at peace with entering the force when he meets Darth Vader again in ANH?
I enjoyed your post, this part in particular resonated with me. You're not wrong. I wish this show reached higher in all of these areas. I'm entertained by what we're getting, but with the full knowledge they could have done much, much more. Maybe it'll surprise me before it's over, but keeping my hopes low. Been hurt before.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I don't understand what the point of this show is if it's just 6 episodes of Kenobi meandering around a couple planets. Pretty disappointed in all of Disney's Star Wars offerings

What? At what point was he meandering? The show also seems to be intending to showcase this Path thing, which I don't recall being in canon before and is likely the focus of the next two episodes. The show could have ended after episode 2 if they'd booked transport straight to Alderaan, but then there'd not be much of a show.

The show feels like it got rewritten at some point when they were told they were doing more and had to drag out the plot.

It feel really weird seeing some people on here say the show is rushed while others say it's being dragged out.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It feel really weird seeing some people on here say the show is rushed while others say it's being dragged out.
Because the show is so directionless. Lots of things happen quickly with little time for planning, letting things breath, etc. Yet we're two thirds of the way done and the 'point ' of the show is a complete mystery. What story are they trying to tell? Show is going no where, but doing it fast.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
we're two thirds of the way done and the 'point ' of the show is a complete mystery.
Broken man gets unbroken because circumstances lead him to believe in the idea of hope again:
FUtyraqVUAIHW1y

Based on this show Obiwan would've been cutting that exact same slice of steak and living in a cave for the rest of his days if he wasn't reminded of what he's supposed to be fighting for in the first place.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Broken man gets unbroken because circumstances lead him to believe in the idea of hope again:
FUtyraqVUAIHW1y

Based on this show Obiwan would've been cutting that exact same slice of steak and living in a cave for the rest of his days if he wasn't reminded of what he's supposed to be fighting for in the first place.
While I find the execution of said 'point' to be pretty bad. I suppose you are right.

Though in episode 1 he still had every intention of training Luke (which honestly just seems weird now).

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
While I find the execution of said 'point' to be pretty bad. I suppose you are right.

Though in episode 1 he still had every intention of training Luke (which honestly just seems weird now).
I think he was putting on a front for Owen because the very next scene after the argument is him encountering a jedi, telling him the fight is over, and to bury his lightsaber in the desert. We are then shown an episode later that he genuinely struggles to use the force. And that he's clearly someone who's no match for Vader because he's completely shut himself off. If he had continued to stay in that mindset until ANH Luke would've been fucked.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So the jedi in the amber is all to setup a future releasing of hundreds of jedi or more for the next ST movies right? They don't want to have Rey train jedi for years until she's all old and such, so they'll just have them all get freed from the amber and the STs will now have hundreds or thousands of jedi overnight. Baby Yoda must have been stuck in there too.

"General Kenobi. Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire…". So heartfelt.

One of my kids still loves Star Wars so I suffer through all these shows for him. My other kid is now sick of Star Wars. He says there is too much of it. He is right.

That quote though doesn't make it fit with what is happening in this show though. She says General Kenobi, and says he served her father during the Clone Wars, so it's all a reference to events that have nothing to do with this show. It would have worked if she had been involved in the plot without knowing it was him and instead just some jedi, or just don't have her involved at all since it isn't needed whatsoever.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
So the jedi in the amber is all to setup a future releasing of hundreds of jedi or more for the next ST movies right? They don't want to have to have Rey train jedi for years until she's all old and such, so they'll just have them all get freed from the amber and the STs will now have hundreds or thousands of jedi overnight. Baby Yoda must have been stuck in there too.
That place is a tomb. The jedi featured there are dead. A morbid display of trophies.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
It's really weird, the first 2 episodes, especially episode 1, were quite cool and managed to introduce the story well but then these last 2 episodes felt super weirdly paced and written, like they are at the same time rushing and slowing down the show.
I don't think this is straight up bad or anything, it still has many enjoyable moments, but I find hard to see them nailing the ending and I think it didn't reach its potential which is the most disappointing part, I expected this to happen with Bobba Fett but not Obi Wan!
Well 2 episodes to go I guess, at least I can be surprised.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
Episode 4 is even worse than epsidoe 3. I did think the shot of Ben"s lightsaber going off in the dark room was sick. But i just cannot stand the little kid acting. Also how the hell can you out run water like that?! And how the hell did no one hear the spy talking to obi wan on the little walkie talkie thingie??? Its a dead silent room!

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I really, really didn't like this episode.

Again asking too much of a child actor, and the interrogation scene was some of the most unreasonable, irrational, cringe shit I've seen this year. Like, you're going to get answers out of a baby with torture? lol come the fuck on. I'd inspect an Imprerial Inquisitor to actually be good at their jobs. Smooth-talk that info out. Bait her in with trust. Reprogram her droid and get her to conifide in it, then report back to you. Anything but, "welp, time to waterboard this baby. that'll do it!"

I'm getting frustrated thinking about it. Hopefully the remainder of the series is better than this start.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I really, really didn't like this episode.

Again asking too much of a child actor, and the interrogation scene was some of the most unreasonable, irrational, cringe shit I've seen this year. Like, you're going to get answers out of a baby with torture? lol come the fuck on. I'd inspect an Imprerial Inquisitor to actually be good at their jobs. Smooth-talk that info out. Bait her in with trust. Reprogram her droid and get her to conifide in it, then report back to you. Anything but, "welp, time to waterboard this baby. that'll do it!"

I'm getting frustrated thinking about it. Hopefully the remainder of the series is better than this start.

I really think this is to setup a Leia tv show, so they have to convince the audience she can already use the force without realizing it. She might well end up in Endor, helping start the rebellion.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Well they all look ready to be « healed » and brought back to life.
Bringing back even one of them would literally kill Rey. I doubt it was ever even remotely suggested during the creative process that Rey would find that tomb 40+ years later to build a new jedi order. That's putting a lot of stock in the idea that the base would even survive in the first place. When we know for a fact that by ANH all the inquisitors had "mysteriously disappeared" after serving their purpose. That base is probably as active as the cloning facility on Kamino.

Last edited:

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
And how the hell did no one hear the spy talking to obi wan on the little walkie talkie thingie??? Its a dead silent room!
This is my only real gripe with this episode. There was even a shot with another worker like 5 feet from her lol. She was barely even trying to keep it down. Just a bizarre choice. Should have just pulled up the Imperial text to speech app.

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017

Man, Siege of Mandalore was peak Star Wars.

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
That quote though doesn't make it fit with what is happening in this show though. She says General Kenobi, and says he served her father during the Clone Wars, so it's all a reference to events that have nothing to do with this show. It would have worked if she had been involved in the plot without knowing it was him and instead just some jedi, or just don't have her involved at all since it isn't needed whatsoever.

Sorry. I should have been clearer. That was sarcasm and I agree with what you are saying.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
I'm sorry that a funny trench coat gag took you out of the fictional universe of Star Wars and reminded you that you're watching the fictional universe of Star Wars.

The show's not perfect by any means but the anger people have for it is utterly baffling to me. I liked Book of Boba too but I could at least understand the complaints there. There's a difference between "this show isn't as good as I wanted" and "no one who made this cares."

Funny trench coat gag? Is that what that was supposed to be? It wasn't funny, and I doubt anyone wants slap stick gags in this show. I bet 0% of Star Wars fans are watching it, expecting the funnies. Maybe a good end to this show for ya'll would be Grandpa Jar Jar Binks himself showing up to help Obi Wan and Leia?

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I think he was putting on a front for Owen because the very next scene after the argument is him encountering a jedi, telling him the fight is over, and to bury his lightsaber in the desert.
You got that backwards, Obi-Wan met the guy in the desert telling him the Jedi are over and then the next scene is him talking to Owen about how Luke must be trained when he gets old enough and trying to give Luke toys to spark a curiosity that there is a galaxy beyond the farm.

I don't know how your headcanon makes any sense with what we are shown since the two attitudes seem contradictory.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
You got that backwards, Obi-Wan met the guy in the desert telling him the Jedi are over and then the next scene is him talking to Owen about how Luke must be trained when he gets old enough and trying to give Luke toys to spark a curiosity that there is a galaxy beyond the farm.

I don't know how your headcanon makes any sense with what we are shown since the two attitudes seem contradictory.

There's not point trying to reconcile these things. Characters behave the way they do because the sequence of events demands it. Not because it makes sense.

Obi-Wan being rescued from Vader is a perfect example. He has to be rescued because there are still three episodes left. The scene itself doesn't make any sense.

Ssyem

Mar 15, 2022

He said that to the Jedi who found him because he didn't want to draw attention to Luke, who he believes is the true Chosen One after Anakin fell to the dark side. I guess he believes Leia might be too, hence why Bail says "she's just as important as the boy."

Not that it's what was planned in ANH, where it seems Obi Wan brings Luke along on a whim. But that's how it's been retroactively made.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I'd still argue that his whole "train Luke" thing is a front because he genuinely isn't the Obiwan we know at the end of ROTS. Like he wouldn't be able to teach Luke even if he wanted to because he himself struggles(d) with the force. Refusing to help another Jedi because he doesn't wanna draw attention to Luke would read as, well sociopathic tbh.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
There's not point trying to reconcile these things. Characters behave the way they do because the sequence of events demands it. Not because it makes sense.

Obi-Wan being rescued from Vader is a perfect example. He has to be rescued because there are still three episodes left. The scene itself doesn't make any sense.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

This show is the worst kind of prequel because we know that ultimately the status quo of the world is set and nothing of value is going to change because all the key characters involved already have their fate set in stone by the movies, and all the side characters are clearly going to disappear or become irrelevant and they've been given no depth to make them worth caring about anyway. So inherently every time they try to create some tension it falls flat. Everything else is a status quo preserving diversion. The PT got around this by creating a wide world and going through unpredictable paths to ultimately get at the conclusion we arrived at, but this show keeps a really narrow world and there is no interesting place for the characters to end up in. "How did anakin become Vader" is interesting to explore, but "how did Vader continue to be Vader" is not. Nor is "how did obi wan start exiled in a desert and end exiled in a desert". What happened before the show was already set in place for episode 4 to start so there is nothing left to explore here.

Kenobi:
Before show: exiled in the desert watching over luke
Ep4: exiled in the desert watching over luke

Vader:
Before show: bitter husk of a jedi
Ep4: bitter husk of a jedi

Leia:
Before show: adopted daughter of bail organa living the life
Ep4: adopted daughter of bail organa living the life, also a rebel

There's just no room to do anything with these characters other than setting leia up to be a rebel, I guess. But she's too young for her to have meaningful character development imo. That just means that the show has to be carried by the development of reva as she is the only character who has any room to grow, but her writing is terrible and she keeps being forced to look like an idiot for the plot to just keep going around in circles.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness

I feel like they put that line about training Luke in just for Owen's snarky reply. Especially since said line made it into the trailer. It's the sort of careless line you'd normally excise in a rewrite or edit, even if it sounds cool. "Kill your darlings," and all that.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
So the jedi in the amber is all to setup a future releasing of hundreds of jedi or more for the next ST movies right? They don't want to have Rey train jedi for years until she's all old and such, so they'll just have them all get freed from the amber and the STs will now have hundreds or thousands of jedi overnight. Baby Yoda must have been stuck in there too.

are u deadass

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
after e4 this show is really starting to lose me
what a shame. everything about the entire production feels rushed or sloppy or amateur, or some combination of those