• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
The real answer is Batman V. Superman. That film actually did what people like to pretend TLJ did. An expensive box office and critical disaster that actively alienated large swaths of the general audience from their core brand(s). The ramifications of which are still being felt and most likely will continue to be for a long time
Yup. Every time DC tries to go dark now, people are gonna wonder if they're going back to the Snyder Age, even if the dark aspect is entirely different than how he did it.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Yup. Every time DC tries to go dark now, people are gonna wonder if they're going back to the Snyder Age, even if the dark aspect is entirely different than how he did it.
Yeah, they also kinda inadvertently created a whacked-out online cult that's gonna be hanging around in the background of all their projects for...a very long time, honestly. So that'll be fun for them to deal with.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I think this show isn't very good, and isn't very well written, but I think all the context for this is in the show, and most of it is in that scene. We see younglings under assault during Order 66 at the very start of the show - it's pretty contextually obvious one of those kids is going to be Reva. Then in the scenes with Leia in episode 4, she talks about knowing what it's like to be in Leia's position, and to have everything taken from you, etc etc. These are the exact crumbs you're getting at, imo. A lot of that is down to Ingram's performance, but it's there.

I get that this show is badly written but that's dialogue, and weird plot holes (the fucking trenchcoat!). I think the show has made pretty clear what Reva is. Even without the external context, the Order 66 flashback, repeated talk of the Empire abducting force sensitive children who are never seen again, Reva's dialogue referring to her own suffering and even her intense reaction to seeing the Jedi Order symbol/crest all create a repeated theme and point to what her deal is. Sometimes stories ask you to read between the lines, and inevitably this is going to be resolved when Reva (probably) turns at the end of the season. But I do think the crumbs are there.

There's loads of problems with this show, primarily I feel with the way Obi-Wan is acting and with Vader's weird letting him go and then letting Reva survive, but I think Reva is working.
Yeah, I the younglings bit at the start telegraphed Reva's connection.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I thought the beginning was really weird (the flashbacks in the bacta tank were great but then it kind of acted like Obi had known all of these people for awhile) but I loved the rest of the episode. It felt very 'classic' Star Wars to have him run around a base fighting storm troopers, the grave was unsettling, Leia continues to be A+, and I like Tala enough know that the fact they can kill her off whenever they want gives some extra danger to everything (especially when she was talking to various villains).

Oct 25, 2017
if you are not going to even pay attention to the episodes, why bother watching them?
It's well established that strong willed people are harder to read. If Leia did actually use the Force to resist Reva then the show has created another problem. It's completely implausible that the Inquisitors wouldn't investigate and hunt down Leia once they realize she's a strong Force user. Her cover is still intact leading into ANH so clearly that hasn't happened. It's actually important that she doesn't use the Force around them.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I interpreted Leia's intuitive demeanor to be Force-sensitivity *at first*, but then I realized she was just guessing about Obi Wan. It's not implausible that she resisted Force-interrogation without manifesting the Force itself, as Hermit notes several people have done this throughout the films. And if she were outed as a Force user, Vader of all people would've never placed her under such light security in ANH.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
On the plus side - they finally gave Leia a role of something else than being an Audience sounding board, and the actress is really kicking ass tbh - it makes the likes of Anakin in Ep1 look real bad.
Also videogame references galore, or should I say - outright ripping off cut-scenes in places, I wonder if this was the Fallen Order cameo they hinted at - it'd be a nice troll if so.

On the not so plus side - it's still written like a saturday morning cartoon from the 80ies, especially the villains. Everything here wouldn't feel out of place in classic MoU.
Though on flipside they are now really telegraphing Reva will turn, or may have been plotting against Vader/empire the whole time. But that might work better if her and the rest of inquisitors weren't so completely one-dimensional.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
The implication is that Leia is passively strong willed thanks to the force, not that she is actively using it however the two are established throughout he films as one and the same.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Has it been discussed how this episode took so much from Fallen Order? It was almost identical in setting and action, but less exciting.

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
It's surprising how mediocre this show is. This show should have everyone involved firing on full cylinders but it all just feels so pedestrian.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Reva put a 10 years old in a sophisticated torture chamber because she couldn't break her, lol
OMG this is so bad 🤣🤣🤣🤣
A reminder, the empire are space nazis who kill children. We literally saw what would've happened to Leia when they showed a showed a dead youngling in the tomb.

Has it been discussed how this episode took so much from Fallen Order? It was almost identical in setting and action, but less exciting.
It's literally the exact same location from Fallen Order. With a slightly more complicated infiltration method since in FO the empire had the balls to just leave the base easily enterable from the water compared to needing an officer to unlock hatches.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
A reminder, the empire are space nazis who kill children. We literally saw what would've happened to Leia when they showed a showed a dead youngling in the tomb.

It's literally the exact same location from Fallen Order. With a slightly more complicated infiltration method since in FO the empire had the balls to just leave the base easily enterable from the water compared to needing an officer to unlock hatches.
The base had actual guards in FO. Security became worse after Cal broke in, Inexplicably.

Now Tala can just loudly talking to Kenobi while in a room full of Imperials with one right next to her and nobody notices

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The implication is that Leia is passively strong willed thanks to the force, not that she is actively using it however the two are established throughout he films as one and the same.

My understanding was always that Leia was so skilled at what her job actually was that the Force was a nice little bonus present as opposed to something significant to her skill set. Had she been trained in it early sure, she could have escaped a few times by herself, but her actual strong suit is in leadership which she had all on her own (just like Padme and Bail). Without the Force, Luke is just a good pilot. Without the Force, Leia is still Leia.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The base had actual guards in FO. Security became worse after Cal broke in, Inexplicably.

Now Tala can just loudly talking to Kenobi while in a room full of Imperials with one right next to her and nobody notices
She wasn't talking loudly she was clearly whispering but we as the audience can hear her clearly, same as something like breaking bad. Also for comparison's sake I went back and watched how it played out in Fallen Order, not only is there more security detail and more patrols, the base is harder to get into too.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
She wasn't talking loudly she was clearly whispering but we as the audience can hear her clearly, same as something like breaking bad.
Comparing this show to BB is insulting. Shit comparing it to FO is insulting. Both those things at least know how to frame there shots so that people actually look like there trying to be quite.

Not sure even going to bother pretending things like Tala staying with the body for multiple minutes or the light slap knocking a man out are good writing or cinematography

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
Oh I know others like it.

But I really don't get why people don't like it.
Just asking. Did you find Ice Cube jr's one minute face turn to actually be believable or well written in any way?

Did the chase scenes with Leia seem well thought out and shot to you?

Did you give a single fuck about Wade?

Like come on. The issues are pretty in your face and I was okay with the show before this episode

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
I'm literally comparing the you know, identical way that we as audiences are supposed to perceive conversations in this specific instance.
Not really, BB does that thing called cinematography to sell it. Kenobi just shows her sitting right next to people loudly whispering.

Just cause they use a similar idea doesn't mean the execution isn't vastly different and worse.

Case in point, this episode being one giant Fallen Order rehash done way worse

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As much as I think it is full of weird bits, this show has been far more enjoyable than Boba Fett IMO. It's on the level I expected for post-OT SW really.

Rogue One still my favorite non-OT movie.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just asking. Did you find Ice Cube jr's one minute face turn to actually be believable or well written in any way?

Like come on. The issues are pretty in your face and I was okay with the show before this episode

lets apply this logic to ANH

just asking, did you find that dude not destroying the escape pods because "there is no life forms" actually belieavable or well written in any way?

did Han running towards stormtroopers and then they tunning away from him because reasons well thought and shot to you?

di you give a single fuck about Porkins?!

ket

Jul 27, 2018

See I recognize these things as flaws but they didn't ruin the show for me. At most, I'm like, "Well that doesn't make sense lol" and just move on.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017

just asking, did you find that dude not destroying the escape pods because "there is no life forms" actually belieavable or well written in any way?

did Han running towards stormtroopers and they because reasons running away from him well thought and shot to you?

Yea

Han running was actually funny and meant to be so.

Porkins death isn't focused on at all. The status he has is all memes based off name and appearance. The actual movie just treats him as another pilot going down, one of many he gets no special focus

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

I am not sure who you mean by Ice Cube jr? Do you mean the Rebel cell leader? He didn't face turn, he was never a heel. He wanted Kenobi to leave because it was a threat to his cell. When he was reminded of what the Empire was capable of he decided to do the bare minimum to help. As many rebel characters in Star Wars pre-New Hope.

The first Leia chase scene was silly. The second one had her changing directions and running under and through stuff that only she could get through thus slowing her persuers down. I was fine with it.

I don't have to give a shit about Wade, the other characters expressed why his death matter. You know empathy for other peoples pain is a thing? It was a well acted scene so I felt their sorrow so I felt bad too.

I was even making jokes about Wade minutes before that scene.

Oct 28, 2017
I sometimes feel like I'm the only one who legit loves this show.
The show is excellent. Fun as hell, so many memorable moments already, has the right amount of nostalgic feels while still telling its own story and having new interesting characters. Reva is the standout obviously. Everything about her is so good. I pray she doesn't die. Young Leia is brilliant completely unexpected.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
See I recognize these things as flaws but they didn't ruin the show for me. At most, I'm like, "Well that doesn't make sense lol" and just move on.

Yeah, it takes a lot and I do mean A LOT for me to go "No fuck this, I can't even think of a quick dumb in universe reasoning for this bullshit"

Only SW product that has ever got that out of me is TROS.

"They sold you to a slaver to protect you"
"They were no one...BY CHOICE"
Leia the Secret Jedi the Whole Time

Y'know, things that actually work against the characters and their story rather than "contradict" one vague line in 40 year old movie

Anything not on that level and I just smile and move on

Oct 25, 2017
Outer Heaven

did Han running towards stormtroopers and then they tunning away from him because reasons well thought and shot to you?

Storytelling/filmmaking has evolved in 45 years.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017

Haha, well, we don't know why you like it either 😆

I…actually wasn't as mad at this last episode as I was with Part 3.
Episode 4 didn't get under my skin until the end with the attempted trench coat get away along with a major installation of the Empire not having more actionable defenses against two rebel ships.
That and Obi Wans confusing escape from Vader in part 3 just tells me that whoever wrote this, just didn't give as much of a fuck, and that disappoints me.
Yes. Those 'tiny' things me and others can't just lol about and move on. We bitch because we love and grew up with these stories and expect someone to put a bit more thought and effort into something we see as obviously broken. We watch these shows to escape reality for just a bit. Not to be reminded that this is just another show with actors, and dumb writers who forgot that Darth Vader can force pull a person through fire, who somehow think it's possible in any reality (unless you are in a Yosemite Sam cartoon) on any military installation to walk by soldiers with a little girls feet and a massive bulge in a huge coat to walk around unnoticed While the installation is under alert, not walk around a laser fence, etc etc.
Or a toothless, wet fart of an encounter (besides the flame torture) between two characters we've been waiting and wondering to see interact since Revenge of the Sith and years of Clone Wars/Rebels episodes. We KNOW it can and could have been better. It's just becoming obvious that the writing and directing werent capable of delivering.

That's why we dislike it. We know we should be getting better, because we've seen better.

And we don't know why You all aren't more critical of something you love and enjoy when there are obvious flaws throughout.
I had a poster here tell me I was "media illiterate" because I didn't see the poetry behind Vader's obvious intent to let Obi Wan go to torture him…better…or something. That kind of defense force for this content will keep getting us sub par content. We complain because we pay money for this shit and want them to get it right.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
As bad as that episode was, the worst part for me was when Obi-Wan was running from the tidal wave of water, not a single drop made it through the other side of the door. It was literally right on him. How do they make the action scenes so drab and boring?

Have him slide through all wet, jump through last second with water gushing in etc. Literally anything other than what they choose would have made a better and more visually exciting scene.

It's all so underwhelming and flat.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
The show is excellent. Fun as hell, so many memorable moments already, has the right amount of nostalgic feels while still telling its own story and having new interesting characters. Reva is the standout obviously. Everything about her is so good. I pray she doesn't die. Young Leia is brilliant completely unexpected.
THANK YOU! That actor is amazing and I hope it's a start of a long career!

Storytelling/filmmaking has evolved in 45 years.
Yes it has.

It had been 41 years between the original Flash Gordon serials that inspired George Lucas and his original Flash Gordon reboot script that eventually became Star Wars.

Some ideas are eternal, some storytelling elements are eternal.

There is a reason Casablanca, Nosferatu and Godfather all still work to a modern audience.

For TV: I Love Lucy, Cheers, and Friends.

Comparing Kenobi to Breaking Bad is always going to be unfair. They have different goals and are telling different kinds of stories.

Star Wars is and always will be pulp fiction. From the directing, the acting, the effects, etc.

We are here, I assume, because we all love Star Wars. Warts and all.

I'm so old-school I still have the oversized Marvel Comics of the first movie.

Yes Kenobi can be silly at times! And there are things I don't like (Release the Vader with Red Lenses cut Disney!)

But I'm just letting myself enjoy the ride and not nitpicking to death!

As Murtaugh once said "I'm getting to old for this shit"

16bitnova

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how Ewan feels about a season 2 being greenlit. I would have to assume he felt like this was nice because it was a premium one off special event type of thing. But now it kind of takes away from the specialness of it if there is another season. And the thought of getting an alternative, more cliffhanger type of finale, instead of what was originally planned, because of this also doesn't sit well with me. I guess we'll see.

Also curious to see if they have Vader interact with Leia. That would be something.

lone_stranger

Aug 24, 2018
The last episode had a bunch of issues, but I'm a fan of the show overall. I hope it sticks the landing, but it feels like it's in a weird place given that only 2 episodes are left.

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020

Episode 4 didn't get under my skin until the end with the attempted trench coat get away along with a major installation of the Empire not having more actionable defenses against two rebel ships.
That and Obi Wans confusing escape from Vader in part 3 just tells me that whoever wrote this, just didn't give as much of a fuck, and that disappoints me.
Yes. Those 'tiny' things me and others can't just lol about and move on. We bitch because we love and grew up with these stories and expect someone to put a bit more thought and effort into something we see as obviously broken. We watch these shows to escape reality for just a bit. Not to be reminded that this is just another show with actors, and dumb writers who forgot that Darth Vader can force pull a person through fire, who somehow think it's possible in any reality (unless you are in a Yosemite Sam cartoon) on any military installation to walk by soldiers with a little girls feet and a massive bulge in a huge coat to walk around unnoticed While the installation is under alert, not walk around a laser fence, etc etc.
Or a toothless, wet fart of an encounter (besides the flame torture) between two characters we've been waiting and wondering to see interact since Revenge of the Sith and years of Clone Wars/Rebels episodes. We KNOW it can and could have been better. It's just becoming obvious that the writing and directing werent capable of delivering.

That's why we dislike it. We know we should be getting better, because we've seen better.

And we don't know why You all aren't more critical of something you love and enjoy when there are obvious flaws throughout.
I had a poster here tell me I was "media illiterate" because I didn't see the poetry behind Vader's obvious intent to let Obi Wan go to torture him…better…or something. That kind of defense force for this content will keep getting us sub par content. We complain because we pay money for this shit and want them to get it right.

I'm enjoying the show overall but I have to co-sign all of this. It's painfully mediocre and there's a general lack of care and artistry being put into it, made worse by the fact that the show focuses on three of the franchise's most iconic characters. This really should have been much better than it is (so far). Both this and Boba Fett feel like the creatives involved just had ZERO ambition and opted to coast on the goodwill of the franchise and popularity of the characters, but that goodwill only extends so far and it's in shorter and shorter supply with each half-assed project that gets released.

On the flip side, I'm enjoying Star Wars Explained's reviews/recaps of the series. Overall he has a positive view of the series and does a better job of telling the story than the actual show has.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
I am not sure who you mean by Ice Cube jr? Do you mean the Rebel cell leader? He didn't face turn, he was never a heel. He wanted Kenobi to leave because it was a threat to his cell. When he was reminded of what the Empire was capable of he decided to do the bare minimum to help. As many rebel characters in Star Wars pre-New Hope.

The first Leia chase scene was silly. The second one had her changing directions and running under and through stuff that only she could get through thus slowing her persuers down. I was fine with it.

I don't have to give a shit about Wade, the other characters expressed why his death matter. You know empathy for other peoples pain is a thing? It was a well acted scene so I felt their sorrow so I felt bad too.

I was even making jokes about Wade minutes before that scene.
He changed his opinion in under a minute. While being told by a guy who hasn't really dealt with the empire that he doesn't know what the empire is capable of despite leading a sell actively against it.

It's all just so contrived and lazy

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017

Honestly, yeah. I agree with this quite a bit. It's the little details that matter.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Leia doesn't use the force in this episode.
Yes she does. She's used it in every episode in fact. Her extreme of perceptiveness given her age is her involuntarily using the force.

It's well established that strong willed people are harder to read.
Reva very specifically has the force mind probe, the only people who have been shown to resist it are people who're force sensitive.

Last edited:

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017

I think a lot of people were hoping for something on the level of Mandalorian in terms of action set pieces, and Clone Wars in character arcs and emotional beats. Exploring what happened to Obi-Wan Kenobi and Darth Vader in between the Animated Clone Wars, Revenge of the Sith, and a New Hope. Those are the two people I went in expecting the show to focus on, "A day in the life of Ben" and "a day in the life of Darth Vader" were episodes I wanted. I really, really enjoyed episode 1 showing Ben cutting fish, being cut off socially, and watching the Skywalker ranch. THAT was fantastic stuff that told me about his life.

What was Obi-Wan doing on Tatooine for 19 years? What did he eventually feel about his part in the rise of the Emperor, Darth Vader, and the fall of the Jedi Order and the Republic? Likewise, Darth Vaders feelings on those things. Maybe a few flashbacks to clone wars, live format, so we see a younger Ahsoka before her new show in the glory days. How did Obi-Wan reconcile creating a monster in Darth Vader with him putting all his hopes and dreams into Luke Skywalker? Why was Obi-Wan at peace with entering the force when he meets Darth Vader again in ANH?

How has the world managed with The Empire taking over the galaxy over 10 years? Are most people resigned, are there pockets of resistance, do most people not care and just live their normal lives? Are things better for many people? The republic as we saw in the clone wars was sometimes a pretty terrible place for some people.

Maybe we'll get that, maybe we won't, but so far we've mostly gotten 2 baby Leia saves and 1 capture, Inquisitor Reva unable to question a 10 year old child, and of course some cool background places like Cyberpunk city, a strip mining planet (which oddly looked desert-pastoral?) and neat sets and scenes on Mustafar and the water prison planet.

There are definitely very cool scenes, but I don't really feel like I know a lot more about Obi-Wan. I know almost nothing about Reva other than she is smart and has some goal but I cannot understand what it is. If the show was titled Inquisitor Reva's Adventures I probably would never have watched in the first place.

We have seen literally only 10 seconds of Hayden Christensen (stunt actors play Darth Vader) in nearly 3.5 hours of TV. There are still 2 more episodes so I'm not going to fully judge the show until I see it all, it could get amazing. The last 2 or 3 episodes of Boba Fett elevated the show a lot, but then again they sort of did a character swap there.

The sentiment is definitely shifting though, the Midnight Boys (Ringer) and Double Toasted both liked episodes 1-3 and both were down on episode 4.

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how Ewan feels about a season 2 being greenlit. I would have to assume he felt like this was nice because it was a premium one off special event type of thing. But now it kind of takes away from the specialness of it if there is another season.
"Would I like to make another one? Yeah, I would like to make another one. I had such a great time working with Deb, and the actors that we had in this were so great to work with, and the crew are just... I can't tell you. It was so wonderful to work on. I couldn't wait to get to work every day, and on a long shoot like this, that's something. Right to the end, I just loved the experience of it."
-Ewan McGregor May 2022

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
Yes she does. She's used it in every episode in fact. Her extreme of perceptiveness given her age is her involuntarily using the force.

Reva very specifically has the force mind probe, the only people who have been shown to resist it are people who're force sensitive.
If Leia was using the force Reva would know. And then Leia being free for another 10 years of being allowed to become a senator makes no sense at all because of the Empire would kidnap her.

Also you don't need to be force sensitive to resist the probe. Hera and Rex among others have been able to

16bitnova

Oct 28, 2017
"Would I like to make another one? Yeah, I would like to make another one. I had such a great time working with Deb, and the actors that we had in this were so great to work with, and the crew are just... I can't tell you. It was so wonderful to work on. I couldn't wait to get to work every day, and on a long shoot like this, that's something. Right to the end, I just loved the experience of it."
-Ewan McGregor May 2022
And there it is. Thank you. Well I guess Season 2 it is.