• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
I only just cracked into the third episode, but James Earl Jones sounds great here compared to his work in "Rogue One". He sounded very much his age in the movie, but here he sounds pretty much like his OT self. After "Rogue One" I was worried he had got to an age where doing the Vader VO had finally passed him by. I was also worried they were going to let Hayden do the lines and then try to do some post work to make it sound as close to Jones as possible.

任天堂ファン

Alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2020
Wow, that's pretty impressive that you can see through the eyes of a Star Wars character. You got me! Regardless of what you're "pretty sure" about it's not unreasonable that most people would try to open the gate first before trying to attempt going around.

Yes, I am pretty sure as a human being I can understand Obi Wan's ability of sight.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I only just cracked into the third episode, but James Earl Jones sounds great here compared to his work in "Rogue One". He sounded very much his age in the movie, but here he sounds pretty much like his OT self. After "Rogue One" I was worried he had got to an age where doing the Vader VO had finally passed him by. I was also worried they were going to let Hayden do the lines and then try to do some post work to make it sound as close to Jones as possible.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Vader's voice was completely AI generated? I agree it sounds good.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't get why Bail Organa was all "one day princess you'll be s senator!"

You're essentially serving under the nazis, there is a dictatorship in place, there shouldn't even be a senate at that point. Plus I never understood why Naboo just abolished the monarchy? Did Padme not have family? Are Luke and Leia not the heirs to the Naboo Throne?

Why is this princess also supposed to become a senator?

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You're essentially serving under the nazis, there is a dictatorship in place, there shouldn't even be a senate at that point. Plus I never understood why Naboo just abolished the monarchy? Did Padme not have family?

The Senate still exists at this point in the timeline. The Emperor only abolished it during ANH (off-screen obviously but mentioned by the characters).

Leia and Bail live on Alderaan, not Naboo.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Plus I never understood why Naboo just abolished the monarchy? Did Padme not have family? Are Luke and Leia not the heirs to the Naboo Throne?

Naboo elected their Monarch so there was never a bloodline. It went so far as to the person campaigning for the role of monarch changed their name before they began running. According to lore the monarch ruled for 2 years and was able to serve a 2nd term. Also, why it was a young woman, "The people of Naboo often elected young women, believing they possessed a form of pure, childlike wisdom that the adults lacked." Though there had been Kings of Naboo from the quick cannon lore dive I took on Wookiepedia.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Vader's voice was completely AI generated? I agree it sounds good.

Turns out it seems to be a combo of both his voice and AI tech called "Respeecher" which is what they use for Luke's voice in "Mando"/"Boba". Jones read the lines so we got an actual performance from him, but they used his old voice roles and other computer audio trickery to punch up the end product we got in the show. I included the article I found about it.

Why Vader's Voice Sounds More OT In Kenobi Than Rogue One

Last edited:

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Turns out it seems to be a combo of both his voice and AI tech called "Respeecher" which is what they use for Luke's voice in "Mando"/"Boba". Jones read the lines so we got an actual performance from him, but they used his old voice roles and other computer audio trickery to punch up the end product we got in the show. I included the article I found about it.

Oh nice. I liked it a lot. But I did not like the Luke voice in Mando.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The article says it's unknown at the moment if he recorded the dialogue for the series and that dialogue was processed through Respeecher, or if the dialogue was 100% AI-generated and he's only credited out of respect

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

You're essentially serving under the nazis, there is a dictatorship in place, there shouldn't even be a senate at that point. Plus I never understood why Naboo just abolished the monarchy? Did Padme not have family? Are Luke and Leia not the heirs to the Naboo Throne?

The Senate was still a thing up until the launching of the first Death Star. Palpatine took over the Republic at the end of The Revenge of the Sith, but it took him years to solidify his grip on power and go full fascism.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Senate still exists at this point in the timeline. The Emperor only abolished it during ANH (off-screen obviously but mentioned by the characters).

Leia and Bail live on Alderaan, not Naboo.

I know they don't live on Naboo but that doesn't explain anything about how the monarchy was abolished and Leia will also become senator for some reason.

Anyway I'm sure it's all in comic books.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know they don't live on Naboo but that doesn't explain anything about how the monarchy was abolished and Leia will also become senator for some reason.

I don't know if the monarchy of Naboo was abolished, but that's irrelevant, is it not? Leia is the princess of Alderaan not the princess of Naboo.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

At this point in the timeline I think Bail it still trying to work for change within the government while seeing his options outside of it. Leia becoming a senator is more a family tradition thing, like Bail is a famous elected senator and he's expecting Leia to follow in his footsteps.

After the OT it should have mattered. What happened to Padme's family, Leia and Luke's grandparents?

I think we last saw them at Padme's funeral? I don't imagine they know about the twins being alive, and I don't think anyone in canon has written a post ROTJ story about Luke and Leia going to Naboo to find them (though they should!)

Naboo's senate/queen thing is weird. I could be wrong but I don't think it's a traditional monarchy but two different titles. I think the 'elect' queens and senators are separate things (otherwise Palps and Jar Jar couldn't be senators).

b-dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
After the OT it should have mattered. What happened to Padme's family, Leia and Luke's grandparents?
The kids literally got sent to places nobody would think to look for them. Sending her to Padme's family would have been a real dumb move, especially considering that's Palpatine's homeworld.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching the latest episode now, and could someone explain to me how there are female stormtroopers? Did I miss a canon explanation for this? Clones of Omega from Bad Batch?

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It's kinda impressive how every single sentence is wrong on so many levels.

b-dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching the latest episode now, and could someone explain to me how there are female stormtroopers? Did I miss a canon explanation for this? Clones of Omega from Bad Batch?
The Empire stopped using clones after the Clone Wars because clones are expensive and take a long time to make. Also the guys that make the clones tried a rebellion.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It was weird that a clone trooper would beg for money, while still wearing his armor. You'd think he'd have sold it, or it would have been stolen. It's as weird as seeing a Storm Trooper begging for money.

At this point in the timeline I think Bail it still trying to work for change within the government while seeing his options outside of it. Leia becoming a senator is more a family tradition thing, like Bail is a famous elected senator and he's expecting Leia to follow in his footsteps.

I think we last saw them at Padme's funeral? I don't imagine they know about the twins being alive, and I don't think anyone in canon has written a post ROTJ story about Luke and Leia going to Naboo to find them (though they should!)

Naboo's senate/queen thing is weird. I could be wrong but I don't think it's a traditional monarchy but two different titles. I think the 'elect' queens and senators are separate things (otherwise Palps and Jar Jar couldn't be senators).

Right I forgot the real take over happened in AHN. Makes sense.

The kids literally got sent to places nobody would think to look for them. Sending her to Padme's family would have been a real dumb move, especially considering that's Palpatine's homeworld.

No I just mean it's weird that:

1- The monarchy is seemingly abolished on Naboo, for no apparent reason at all, and that Padme had no family. What kind of queen was she to begin with then? Feels like it never made sense.

2- You'd think that AFTER the OT, Leia would have been known as who she really was, which is the daughter of Queen Padme, heir to the throne of Naboo. But because of #1 that was never a thing. Luke just disappeared, but in principle he would have been some sort of heir too. If LF originally wanted to GoT-ify SW (clearly why they hired D&D) that could have worked out.

3- It is weird that just as Queen Padme suddenly became a senator, princess Leia is expected to one day also be a senator, but I guess for whatever reason the Organa royal family are also politicians... like Padme was.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017

Stormtroopers are all volunteer and conscription human forces. Clones were phased out by this time. Having Temura play a homeless clone vet was a great touch of storytelling to give you an idea of what happened to them. The Empire cast them all aside as their war machine swelled.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

In Bad Batch the Empire starts filtering out Clones soon after the war is over, assuming considerably cheaper and blindly loyal soldiers would be better. So most, if not all stormtroopers by this point are just regular people.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017

The royalty of Naboo are elected; it's not a monarchy in the sense that one family keeps passing the throne down. So, neither Luke or Leia are heirs to anything on Naboo. There is already a new Queen of Naboo in Attack of the Clones who is not related to Padme.

b-dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
It was weird that a clone trooper would beg for money, while still wearing his armor. You'd think he'd have sold it, or it would have been stolen. It's as weird as seeing a Storm Trooper begging for money.

1- The monarchy is seemingly abolished on Naboo, for no apparent reason at all, and that Padme had no family. What kind of queen was she to begin with then? Feels like it never made sense.

2- You'd think that AFTER the OT, Leia would have been known as who she really was, which is the daughter of Queen Padme, heir to the throne of Naboo. But because of #1 that was never a thing. Luke just disappeared, but in principle he would have been some sort of heir too. If LF originally wanted to GoT-ify SW (clearly why they hired D&D) that could have worked out.

3- It is weird that just as Queen Padme suddenly became a senator, princess Leia is expected to one day also be a senator, but I guess for whatever reason the Organa royal family are also politicians... like Padme was.
Bail is a Senator, it's how he met Obi-wan.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The royalty of Naboo are elected; it's not a monarchy in the sense that one family keeps passing the throne down. So, neither Luke or Leia are heirs to anything on Naboo. There is already a new Queen of Naboo in Attack of the Clones who is not related to Padme.

Man I didn't even remember that. Can't blame me though, AotC was so awful.

Would have actually made sense for the monarchy to get abolished and turn Naboo into a republic after TPM actually, to share power with the Gungans.

Bail is a Senator, it's how he met Obi-wan.

So Bail Organa is a royal and a senator, and princess Leia is expected to also be a princess and a senator, but Padme stopped being a queen to be a senator...

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

What are you even talking about. Queens on Naboo were elected. There was a new queen in Episode II and Padme was a senator. Her children wouldn't have any claim to a throne.
Like, pay attention instead of inventing things.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Who said the monarchy is abolished on Naboo? Anyway, as someone else mentioned above, it was an elective monarchy to begin with, so Padmé's descendant doesn't automatically become her successor. When a King/Queen dies they elect a new one.

Also, Leia being DARTH VADER's kid wasn't hugely known after the OT, they kept that a secret at first because that would ruin her political career. According to a novel her political enemies revealed it some time before the ST and it damaged her reputation.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
This is just reminding me how much I want a "Leia going to Naboo" book. I think it's been touched on here and there in comics and other stuff, but not even the excellent Bloodlines book really dwelled on it. You'd think it wouldn't be that hard for Leia to find contemporaries of Padme, especially if the ROTS deleted scenes with her and Mon Mothma are considered canon. It'd certainly be easier to find than contemporaries of Anakin (only Ashoka is really left).

I really hope they do a post-ROTJ Han/Luke/Leia cartoon at some point, cause there's no way the tech is good enough to give us as good a Ashoka/Leia/Luke scene as we need on screen otherwise in something like Mando or the Ashoka show.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
In Bad Batch the Empire starts filtering out Clones soon after the war is over, assuming considerably cheaper and blindly loyal soldiers would be better. So most, if not all stormtroopers by this point are just regular people.

Stormtroopers are all volunteer and conscription human forces. Clones were phased out by this time. Having Temura play a homeless clone vet was a great touch of storytelling to give you an idea of what happened to them. The Empire cast them all aside as their war machine swelled.

Thanks. I knew I must've forgotten something.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Who said the monarchy is abolished on Naboo? Anyway, as someone else mentioned above, it was an elective monarchy to begin with, so Padmé's descendant doesn't automatically become her successor. When a King/Queen dies they elect a new one.

Also, Leia being DARTH VADER's kid wasn't hugely known after the OT, they kept that a secret at first because that would ruin her political career. According to a novel her political enemies revealed it some time before the ST and it damaged her reputation.

So why was Padme no longer a queen? She didn't die. She stopped being a queen to become a senator?

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Man I didn't even remember that. Can't blame me though, AotC was so awful.

Would have actually made sense for the monarchy to get abolished and turn Naboo into a republic after TPM actually, to share power with the Gungans.

So Bail Organa is a royal and a senator, and princess Leia is expected to also be a princess and a senator, but Padme stopped being a queen to be a senator...

Queens in Naboo have terms, the crown is won by an election. The Royal families of Naboo put out a candidate for Queen and the populace decides.

Padme decided not to run for reelection

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Queens in Naboo have terms, the crown is won by an election. The Royal families of Naboo put out a candidate for Queen and the populace decides.

Padme decided not to run for reelection

I see, so Leia is still the descendent of a royal family but I guess it means nothing really, they're just rich people or something.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see, so Leia is still the descendent of a royal family but I guess it means nothing really, they're just rich people or something.
The Alderaan monarchy works differently than on Naboo. It's a hereditary monarchy (like England, right down to Bail being a prince consort and not the ruling king, because he married into the royal family). Leia could have become Queen except that Tarkin nuked the whole planet lol

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Alderaan monarchy works differently than on Naboo. It's a hereditary monarchy (like England, right down to Bail being a prince consort and not the ruling king, because he married into the royal family). Leia could have become Queen except that Tarkin nuked the whole planet lol

Right, with the empire in place and a senate still operating it actually makes sense that a royal family's only actual authority would be through being elected or handed the title of senator, allowing the empire to slowly erode monarchic power to impose their own dictatorial authority, undermining local government power structures and erasing cultures.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
vader voice definitely sounded like bits and pieces were lifted directly from lines from the OT. same exact delivery style.

obviously his voice is a lot easier to fake than ROTJ-era luke skywalker. I didn't mind it here, while luke's voice in boba bothered me.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017

Eh we've seen clone troopers holding onto their armor further in the time line (rebels). The actual weird thing is the fact he didn't recognize kenobi. He's wearing 501st armor so that trooper worked alongside Anakin.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The AI will be smart enough to at least use iconic star wars themes for iconic star wars characters.

Elevating your 3/10 scenes into a solid 5.

I can't imagine the levels of hubris I'd have if to possess if I were working on the music for this show and chose to not even break out a sliver of the Imperial March with Vader walking through the town or making his first appearance. The absence of these themes is so strongly felt that I'm actively wondering if it's Disney not wanting to cut a royalty check to John Williams (if that's a thing) or something along those lines.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Clones are highly trained and bred to be nothing but the most capable soldiers. I seriously doubt the trauma he's gone through would let him forget his general's master. Drunk or not.

I'm hoping he did recognize kenobi and it comes back around.

I thought they were bred to only serve a couple of years, and would then rapidly deteriorate after that? In addition to being drunk, he was likely not in good health due to his nature, IMO

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
I thought they were bred to only serve a couple of years, and would then rapidly deteriorate after that? In addition to being drunk, he was likely not in good health due to his nature, IMO

We see three clones in rebels which takes place only a few years before ANH. They only look a little fatter and older, they're still excellent soldiers. Rex is also shown to be on Endor in one of their animations. Some of the clones come out with defects, but as far as I'm aware they are only aged up to maturity, after that they age like normal or near-normal enough. Boba just got no modification.