• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
In an ideal world SW would be like Final Fantasy: new characters, new stories and completely new aesthetics in almost each entry.
The world needs the SW of Stranger of Paradise. It'd atleast be more entertaining than what Disney's done so far.

Disclaimer: I have not played SoP, I've only seen the memes.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
What's up with the grand inquisitor. How are they going to explain that... and the execution of the scene sucked, he would have killed her on the spot.

Put him in bacta for the rest of the season so that reva gets to shine. She'll likely lie about about how he got stabbed and put that on obi wan.

Giga Power

Apr 24, 2021
Really didn't like the first episode very much but the second one won me over. Really hope it ends up being good overall because I'm not going to lie I'm a sucker for anything that bridges the PT and OT eras. I won't try to argue that episodes 1-3 were good movies but goddamn do I love that time period in the lore.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
IMO Ewan fucking carried the prequels (along with McDiarmid), but I don't know about this one. He just looks dazed and confused all the time. He wasn't kidding around when said he's not the same guy anymore. They are essentially two characters.

Also, I've seen so many rooftop chases in the last few years of media. It's not exciting.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
The difference is that Tolkien engaged in other serious aspects of his framing of good vs evil. Additionally, we have letters of himself admitting that he's not comfortable with his "All orcs are evil" depiction and has struggled with his writing of them as such. So, Tolkien engaged with this and while at the time he was alive he didn't want anyone else messing with his world, it shows he was open to it as a concept that his story needed to address.

Tolkien went deeper into the language and, thematically, engaged on the various impacts of industrialization encroaching on fertile, untouched land, a subject which the movies largely sweep to the side. Whatever his struggle was, he still wrote a very basic black and white story and that basic story was adapted by Jackson. Nobody ever has a scintilla of empathy for the orcs and arguably shouldn't, and that's fine, because at its heart it's a very simple mythical good vs evil story.

If you want to write an LOTR story about Aragorn burying his face in his hands and lamenting the fact that he has to obliterate an entire race that was born into forced labor, it might be interesting, but that was obviously never the intention.

The better example of that is Zack Snyder's 300.

As in, the actual military showed it's soldier's that movie to hype them up about killing brown people in the Iraq War.

So, yeah.

That's a far worse example. 300 is naked and completely intentional us vs them propaganda and so was the comic, written by a guy who doesn't even try to disguise his bigotry. A billion of those movies came out post-9/11.

LOTR is completely different. The idea there is that it was completely unintentional but still had an impact on otherizing a large group of people, particularly at that time. I'm not even saying I agree with it, but I do think it's a far more notable example of what you were talking about earlier. Plenty has been written about it.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Tolkien went deeper into the language and, thematically, engaged on the various impacts of industrialization encroaching on fertile, untouched land, a subject which the movies largely sweep to the side. Whatever his struggle was, he still wrote a very basic black and white story and that basic story was adapted by Jackson. Nobody ever has a scintilla of empathy for the orcs and arguably shouldn't, and that's fine, because at its heart it's a very simple mythical good vs evil story.

If you want to write an LOTR story about Aragorn burying his face in his hands because he can't stand that he has to obliterate an entire race that was born into forced labor, it might be interesting, but that was obviously never the intention.
Tolkiens belief in an absolute good and absolute evil came from his Christian beliefs, and he wrote letters on orcs stating he was uncomfortable writing a race that was irredeemably evil.

My point here being is that when he wrote a tale of black and white evil that didn't invite sympathy for the orcs, it came from his sincere deeply held personal beliefs, which I don't think is the case with star wars.

Its story of good and evil comes from convenience and unwillingness to grapple with the morality of inconvenient things. I obviously do not share Tolkiens worldview or beliefs, but his story isn't born out of the sheer ideological laziness SW has settled in. As I said, he took his storytelling seriously.

That's a far worse example. 300 is naked and completely intentional us vs them propaganda and so was the comic, written by a guy who doesn't even try to disguise his bigotry. A billion of those movies came out post-9/11.

LOTR is completely different. The idea there is that it was completely unintentional but still had an impact on otherizing a large group of people, particularly at that time. I'm not even saying I agree with it, but I do think it's a far more notable example of what you were talking about earlier. Plenty has been written about it.
I'm not following what your disagreeing with me about here. If we're talking about movies that are meant to instill an othering effect on people, 300 is definitely the stronger example of that. I don't know about intentionality, but it accomplished the effect your describing much more effectively than LOTR did.

As far as LOTR goes, I think the idea that there is just a race of evil people is absolutely going to push people towards othering, sure. I don't disagree there. I just think most media does this when they make these sorts of 'evil' races and Tolkien is not unique in this.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
I need to rewatch Korra tbh, see how it holds up

I loved Korra at the time (even though it made me cringe at the same moments some people just plainly hated), but I've been surprised just how positive it's been recieved over the last 10 years on reaction channels and other places after both ATLA and Korra after they were uploaded to Netflix. The overall consensus from people who didn't have years of nostalgia from ATLA is that Korra has some flaws but it doesn't deserve the outright hate it got from a lot of places online and the fandom and was impressive in its own ways.

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
Not sure what it is but all the Disney+ Star Wars shows have a fanfic\amateur feel to them...like it's still a step above the CW shows but not by much. I guess the problem is that these shows are just created to fuel fanservice and don't have any interesting stories to tell. Still somewhat entertaining but...
Yep. They're back to using young child actors (who according to the script are to smart for their age) . This was one of the reasons why episode one was such a poor movie and they're doing a rinse and repeat here again.

I just completed Boba Fett and it was definitely of CW quality in parts.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yep. They're back to using young child actors (who according to the script are to smart for their age) . This was one of the reasons why episode one was such a poor movie and they're doing a rinse and repeat here again.

I just completed Boba Fett and it was definitely of CW quality in parts.

no offense to jake lloyd, but lil leia does circles around him acting wise

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
We should be thankful that they didn't just demand to see Carrie Fisher's childhood pictures for a computer to scan and created some inhuman CGI abomination of her. I wouldn't put it past them at this point.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I thought young leia was fine. The only problem i had with her was when she started asking obi to use the force to make her float even though they were trying to escape her kidnappers. That and running away because Obi had a bounty on him came across as pretty forced.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I don't even know why I frequent the D+ show threads here, it's nice to have a community to chat with but I think this just negatively affects the experience for me overall.

Yeah I've started to avoid them - especially the MCU show threads. My opinion always diverges with people on era. Like people in here calling the D+ shows cheap, couldn't disagree more

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
I really like the show, but like Boba Fett it feels poorly paced and plotted at times (though hopefully not as bad). You'd think Lucasfilm would get the time /money to really get it right.
Also don't love the look of the show. Compared to the movies, tatooine looks very flat and dull, wonder if overuse of the volume has something to do with some of the aesthetic issues? Like someone said earlier in the thread, Andor looks much better.
Still quite like it though, stoked for Wednesday.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've started to avoid them - especially the MCU show threads. My opinion always diverges with people on era. Like people in here calling the D+ shows cheap, couldn't disagree more
I'm honestly shocked at how negative it's been in here. Anecdotal evidence and all that, but my family, friends, and I all came away having greatly enjoyed these episodes. And it's not like we all blindly love anything Star Wars. We all have different levels of investment and likes/dislikes across the material.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I'm honestly shocked at how negative it's been in here. Anecdotal evidence and all that, but my family, friends, and I all came away having greatly enjoyed these episodes. And it's not like we all blindly love anything Star Wars. We all have different levels of investment and likes/dislikes across the material.

Yeah Im surprised by the negative online reactions too. I thought this was good but not great. *shrug*

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
I really enjoyed it but both a few examples here and other places online I've had to be careful with the some of the reactions. They tend to piss me off, but thankfully I can just take a break and do something else...

It's been from some of the really outright racist and crude commentary on the character Reva (sadly I expected that), to some REALLY weird and overly aggressive attacks to a kid actor. That's a kid.... -_-

Like I remember way back when I was part of the NiGHTS community in 1998-2001 there would be people who constantly would make fun of the kids version of the credits song and I think nowadays I prefer that version just because it comes off so cute and fitting with the game. Just my view.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I really enjoyed it but both a few examples here and other places online I've had to be careful with the some of the reactions. They tend to piss me off, but thankfully I can just take a break and do something else...

It's been from some of the really outright racist and crude commentary on the character Reva (sadly I expected that), to some REALLY weird and overly aggressive attacks to a kid actor. That's a kid.... -_-

Like I remember way back when I was part of the NiGHTS community in 1998-2001 there would be people who constantly would make fun of the kids version of the credits song and I think nowadays I prefer that version just because it comes off so cute and fitting with the game. Just my view.
That's not unexpected but still disappointing. I thought Reva's actress (and the acting in general) was fine. It was the writing that was crappy.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
How come Stranger Things can have all that gore and violence and language and sexual content and drug use with it's TV-14 rating, but Obi Wan Kenobi only gives us a chase, a kidnapping and someone losing a hand and it's also TV-14?

Is Stranger Things under-TV rated? Or is Obi Wan Kenobi over-TV rated for age?

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
My only nit-pick about Leia is that she's supposed to be 10, but the actress looks maybe 6 or 7? She definitely didn't look like she would be the twin of the 10 year-old Luke we saw earlier.

Ah well, she's great in the role so I'll get over it XD

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
How come Stranger Things can have all that gore and violence and language and sexual content and drug use with it's TV-14 rating, but Obi Wan Kenobi only gives us a chase, a kidnapping and someone losing a hand and it's also TV-14?

Is Stranger Things under-TV rated? Or is Obi Wan Kenobi over-TV rated for age?

Does the rating involve just the given episode or the whole series?

I'd imagine the hanging Jedi with slash marks on him, Order 66 scene, guy going into a lightsaber blender, the impaling, and the drug references prevented it from being just PG?

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean…what did you expect? Obi-Wan just ignore Luke and Leia while he goes planet hopping? Surely he's be around the kids to protect them? Don't mean to come off as mean, so apologies if I do. Just wondering what would you have liked to seen?
Obi-Wan did leave Tattoine in the old EU and didn't involve Luke or Leia though.

to some REALLY weird and overly aggressive attacks to a kid actor. That's a kid.... -_-
I'm not surprised sadly, specially how this fanbase treated Jake Lloyd after TPM.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
My only nit-pick about Leia is that she's supposed to be 10, but the actress looks maybe 6 or 7? She definitely didn't look like she would be the twin of the 10 year-old Luke we saw earlier.

Ah well, she's great in the role so I'll get over it XD

It's funny because she turns 10 in a couple days lol.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

i went to the star wars night at angels stadium on friday

people LOVE Star Wars

like love love star wars

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Then you have the hardcore fan. These people I see on here and on twitter. They get "chills" when they see a character from some obscure SW source appear or "tear up" when Luke shows up at the end of Mando. These people love anything SW they don't even see anything as being bad because "space wizards for children " is the go to justification every single time. Throw in a character from clone wars and they are over the moon. This is fine but it's not enough for every tier of the fanbase.

Also just to go back to this for a moment, those are the exact people who hate on this the most.

The ones so obsessed by "lore," by "continuity," and just absolutely cream themselves when Ahsoka shows up. Squeal in delight when CGI Luke shows up to save the day.

They're not the ones coming out in support of this stuff. They're the ones most vocal about how they think it's shit until they're spoon-fed a helping of fan service. Then it's just yum yum.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Same. I think she did a wonderful job, she just straight up feels like kid Leia. She actually feels more Leia than the animated older versions we got in Rebels and Resistance.
She's pretty great as an actor. It's just a shame that she's not well served by being in action sequences. At least, how the sequences we're shot, anyway.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what it is but all the Disney+ Star Wars shows have a fanfic\amateur feel to them...like it's still a step above the CW shows but not by much. I guess the problem is that these shows are just created to fuel fanservice and don't have any interesting stories to tell. Still somewhat entertaining but...
People say this, but honestly, if the goal was to just create fanservice and not try to think of interesting stories to tell, they could be saving themselves a lot of work. Boba Fett is a perfect example of this. Whether you thought the show worked or not, it was trying to tell a story of that character being reborn into someone new. Was "adopted by Tuskens and fashioning himself into a benevolent godfather type" on anyone's Boba Fett bingo card? Pretty sure everyone figured that a Boba Fett series would be about him bounty hunting and kicking ass. I personally think the show is less than the sum of its parts, but at the very least you can't say they took the obvious route to making a story.

Also just to go back to this for a moment, those are the exact people who hate on this the most.

The ones so obsessed by "lore," by "continuity," and just absolutely cream themselves when Ahsoka shows up. Squeal in delight when CGI Luke shows up to save the day.

They're not the ones coming out in support of this stuff. They're the ones most vocal about how they think it's shit until they're spoon-fed a helping of fan service. Then it's just yum yum.
lol, yes, the ones who film themselves crying about Luke are the same people who are making videos about the Kennedy vs. Favreau/Filoni civil war in Lucasfilm (complete with red-glowing-eyes Kennedy thumbnails).

Kreim

Dec 6, 2017
It is kinda funny that Ewan got everybody excited for the show.

Like for years the idea of bringing Obi-wan back was this big pull. Ask just about any star wars fan and they would agree.

That's my boy Ewan, he'd never do us wrong. Well except the three movies we all sorta hate.

*tunes in to Obi-wan and the winter soldier*

itysl-what-the-hell.gif

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
It is kinda funny that Ewan got everybody excited for the show.

Like for years the idea of bringing Obi-wan back was this big pull. Ask just about any star wars fan and they would agree.

That's my boy Ewan, he'd never do us wrong. Well except the three movies we all sorta hate.

*tunes in to Obi-wan and the winter soldier*

itysl-what-the-hell.gif
What?

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I just finished watching the 2 available episodes and kinda surprised about the negative reactions here.
It was fine. I'll tune in for the rest.

The kid playing Leia is also fine, I thought she did a good job.

This feels more of an extension of the prequels, which is exactly what I was expecting.
I will say I have no attachment to the leader Inquisitor character, I haven't watched the animated series, so I can't comment on how he was handled. He didn't do much.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I just finished watching the 2 available episodes and kinda surprised about the negative reactions here.
It was fine. I'll tune in for the rest.

The kid playing Leia is also fine, I thought she did a good job.

This feels more of an extension of the prequels, which is exactly what I was expecting.
I will say I have no attachment to the leader Inquisitor character, I haven't watched the animated series, so I can't comment on how he was handled. He didn't do much.

He was handled fine, his demeanor in Rebels is extremely similar.

I just wish he wasn't written out so soon

Sambumbia-PR

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
Good lord this is shit. Expensive looking shit. Annoying kid, stupid sith parkour, bad dialogue, that rooftop scene was disjointed as fuck. Mandalorian is the only decent thing from Disney+.

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw the 2 episodes in tandem:

*Alderaan was just ok? Somehow, the perspective of the skyscrapers didn't communicate its size properly.
*Bail Organa was good, but think he hammed it up a tad more than needed, early on.
*Surprised on how much I liked the Leia's actress. Her voice and inflections do remind me of the adult version.
*Really liked the concept of making her wise for her age, and being able to look past the exterior.

Unfortunately, a portion of her dialogue and scene writing was bad (and so the 'persecution' scenes)
-No regular kid (nevermind a smart one) would insist on keep referring to Obi as "Jedi" in the open, knowing their past and their situation.
-At that age, a kid would actually made a strong point for both of them to cover their faces with masks/costumes, and stay away from multitudes.
-While I'm sort of ok of her having doubts about Obi Wan, any kid in serious danger would be both more distressed, and trying to either genuinely hide or
get help from the public by showing herself to the "authorities".

*The Third sister actress is also fine. Her intensity was portrayed ok, but the dialogue is pretty basic and thus didn't help to add gravitas.
Guess she will become at least partially good by the end. Didn't mind the descending parkour, but that back jump when she was crossing the beam was ridiculous and unnecessary.

*The Gran Inquisitor's clothing looked clunky and weightless. He didn't move with grace, royalty or in a menacing way.
Liked his accent, but his reactions and dialogue makes him feel farcical and not in control.

*Expected Obi to live even farther. Also, weird he has a day job that involves traveling.
He is leaving Luke pretty much defenseless for half a day, during day.
*Odd he didn't get worried the Clone would recognize him. He was in the Jedi Council, meaning he was a famous military figure.
And for all he knows, they all still have the prerogative to hunt him down.

All in all, these 2 episodes didn't left a strong impression, other than Leia.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
*Odd he didn't get worried the Clone would recognize him. He was in the Jedi Council, meaning he was a famous military figure.
And for all he knows, they all still have the prerogative to hunt him down.

(Preface by saying I LOVED the 2 eps)

this is made even worse because it looked like the clone was wearing 501st armor, which means he would've been serving under anakin himself.