• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Actually thought this one worked better then the others cause the city backdrop. Hope they don't lose that and keep this type of story going.

Also because Leia actually like, moves around and talks and stuff.

For the most part Bebe Yoda was basically a cute stuffed animal who would occasionally try to murder people.

Incredibly violent character.

Ewan is usually great in fight scenes, but he did not look like a Jedi master, even with 10 years out of the game.

Well that was just 100% intentional. Obi-Wan is meant to be super rusty.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly there's only so much you could do with a series without outright breaking the canon in half lol. It's going to be the safest shit ever. With that being said I'm enjoying it a lot.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
its so weird seeing people in here comparing a star wars show to Severance, Better Call Saul, etc

i don't even know what to say, did the goofy ass poop and fart humor of the prequels make you think you were watching cinema verite?

these are shows aimed at kids and families, steeped in a lot of nostalgia. They are not prestige adult TV dramas lol

I totally get why the show won't work for some people, I think you have to be a huge fan of the prequels (like you grew up around it and stuff) to REALLY love it but still... "Its not as good as Better Call Saul" is the weirdest TV take I've seen this week.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Staying out of this topic. I thought it was fun. You people know what that is, right? Not everything need be perfect (most of Star Wars isn't). So it's tiring seeing people pick this or that apart as if they're auditioning for cinema sins.

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
its so weird seeing people in here comparing a star wars show to Severance, Better Call Saul, etc

i don't even know what to say, did the goofy ass poop and fart humor of the prequels make you think you were watching cinema verite?

these are shows aimed at kids and families, steeped in a lot of nostalgia. They are not prestige adult TV dramas lol

I totally get why the show won't work for some people, I think you have to be a huge fan of the prequels (like you grew up around it and stuff) to REALLY love it but still... "Its not as good as Better Call Saul" is the weirdest TV take I've seen this week.

1. The Wire
2. Sopranos
3. The Shield
4. Curb
5. Mad Men
6. Office
7. Veep
Obi Wan Kenobi

Discuss.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Like I said, there's a delusion that the OT is some high art kino that must be kept pure and untainted when in reality it's about as deep as a shonen anime.

DubleDuce

Jan 15, 2018
I think some people are incapable of enjoying anything Star Wars at this point.

This is a good, fun show. Turn off your brain and enjoy the space wizards.

Oct 26, 2017
It feels odd to me that he wouldn't come back in some way in this show. Like, if his only purpose for being in this show was a couple of spats with Reva then why have him in at all? Idk, that just seems odd to me. I think he's for-sure serving a greater role here that we'll see later, and meant for more than just a final episode setup for Ashoka.
Probably to have her be taken seriously and try to make her look unpredictable/intimidating. She stabbed her boss, Disney don't care about the small percent of viewers that actually watched Rebels.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I really feel like they should just reboot Star Wars at this point and have huge creative freedom with the TV shows (that doesn't mean remake the OT, put down the pitchfork) they are really pushing it with retcons right now.
Could have a season season with Obi-Wan training Leia and more encounters with Vader/other Sith etc, they are incredibly limited by the OT. Leia not originally being a Skywalker and not being trained as a Jedi is a flaw in the OT and it really seems Lucasfilm wants to change this but there is little they can do if they follow the OT.

Uhhh I think you're reading into things that aren't there.

I'm watching the 2nd episode now and I'm not sure if I missed something or not. He went from gunfight on roof to ground in a second like nothing was happening.

He's a Jedi, he jumped down.

Yeah the city felt empty, like Obi Wan was just strolling through some sets. The choreography was just bad in the hand to hand scenes as well. Ewan is usually great in fight scenes, but he did not look like a Jedi master, even with 10 years out of the game.

Are you talking about the city full of dinosaur bounty hunters and giant sloths?

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019

I laughed at that too but I didn't want to say anything. Don't want to just reply to all of the criticisms especially cause this sure as shit wasn't perfect. But it's hard to resist cause man, some of these comments are goofier than the Leia chase scene.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017

Like I said, there's a delusion that the OT is some high art kino that must be kept pure and untainted when in reality it's about as deep as a shonen anime.

Posts like this are weird. It's not about being as good or excellent as an award winning show, it's about being competent considering the talent and budget involved. Shit like those chase scenes, character writing and atmosphere were amateur hour or CW tier shit ----- and the later have like 1/20th of the budget. Deborah Chow directing credit is solid and include BCS even, not like she doesn't know quality.

You think they filmed good scenes and then Disney went "Oh no, this looks too good. Please make it worse, it's just Star Wars" or something?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

This is condescending to anyone that DOES like Star Wars lmao. "its just space wizard, turn your brain off!"

I liked Visions (the animated anthology), Mando (mostly season 1), Fallen Order. Its just a few tv shows im not feeling and it has nothing to do with turning my brain off. Shit, Lego Star Wars was pretty fun co-op too and that's intentionally stupid.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Posts like this are weird. It's not about being as good or excellent as an award winning show, it's about being competent considering the talent and budget involved. Shit like those chase scenes, character writing and atmosphere were amateur hour or CW tier shit ----- and the later have like 1/20th of the budget. Deborah Chow directing credit is solid and include BCS even, not like she doesn't know quality.

You think they filmed good scenes and then Disney went "Oh no, this looks too good. Please make it worse, it's just Star Wars" or something?

Usually I can at least understand the criticisms, but the show was so solid this kinda stuff just baffles me. I have no idea what people are talking about. It's like we watched totally different shows.

She did a back flip while jumping forward between buildings lol

I'll admit that was incredibly goofy.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Ewans acting next to these cornball villains is something

qj2fbx8tudi31.jpg

resultant

Banned
Nov 3, 2020
Parts Unknown
I don't understand you're line of thinking.

Are there not incredibly thoughtful and artistic shonen? Why should Star Wars be some sort of exception? Have you ever stopped to think about what makes something "high art"? Why do you compulsively exclude anything that has to do with Star Wars from being capable of being something with purpose or that drives emotion?

This is an incredibly elitist view point that something simply can't be thought-provoking purely because of the subject matter. No doubt, in the right hands literally anything can be "high art".

I know that Star Wars is rarely in the "right" hands to achieve this (and even when someone tries like with TLJ they are still typically wired down and stifled) but to knock fans who are hoping to see that is again, very elitist.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Last night after watching the first two episodes it was all optimistic in here.

Tonight it is doom and gloom.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019

There are plenty of criticisms you can make, the problem being that 99% also apply to the franchise as a whole.

It's ridiculous to start comparing a show like this to prestige dramas. The audiences are completely different, the intention is completely different. They aren't trying to make The Wire over here. At least pick realistic points for comparison. It always stings the fanbase for some reason, but yes, this is a family-oriented franchise and is in fact largely geared towards kids. Yeah even Clone Wars and its "adult themes" or whatever people want to say to make it sound more meaningful than it is.

Also really the writing in Star Wars movies especially the dialogue is legendarily bad. But it's charming bad. It's overly broad and some lines are just plain clumsy, but there's a heart to them and they fit the relatively simple story in the center . The OT did coin a number of iconic phrases but they would have been either forgettable or just howlers if they weren't in ultimately great movies and then memed to death. The thematic complexity is non-existent.

But I'm okay with that. Outside of certain exceptions like the KOTOR games, I actually want my Star Wars writing like this. Goofy and a bit obvious, where the good guys say flowery pseudo-spiritual stuff and strange platitudes and the baddies like to prance around and growl, and it's all just gloriously theatrical. We don't need a philosophical treatise here.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
I just can't get over the idea of not catching up with a kid running away. It's absolutely ruining my day. I'm glad to see post after post in here talking about it so I know I'm not alone. It is the worst thing I've ever seen in a high budget tv show.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Usually I can at least understand the criticisms, but the show was so solid this kinda stuff just baffles me. I have no idea what people are talking about. It's like we watched totally different shows.

Exactly, one can spot a shoddy scene or two in any show, but to just jump into words like "Amateurish" is so incredibly snobbish for what Star Wars is that it's hilarious.

There's stuff like TROS that completely falls apart and there's just no way to ignore the issues. But stuff like dumb parkour or shoddy chases to accomodate an 8 year old actress is so nitpicky for what SW aims to be it hurts.

Gyz7.gif

"Look at this amateurish choreography, I had to stop and do a double take, this is just mind numbingly bad, like actual CW budget, it's a fundamental misunderstanding of how action choreography works, I can't believe this the best they could get out of George Lucas! I'm the Nostalgia Critic, make sure to subscribe"

Last edited:

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the two episodes with my sister and I have to say I enjoyed them a lot more the second time around. I wasn't focused on thinking about my nitpicks and just let it wash over me. It's good fun.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I really did not like episode 2. Leia is the fuckin' worst. I would have left her there once I realized what a bratty shit she is. Most unlikeable child character I've seen in a while.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

I really did not like episode 2. Leia is the fuckin' worst. I would have left her there once I realized what a bratty shit she is. Most unlikeable child character I've seen in a while.

Funny.

I thought episode 1 was basically unwatchable dog shit but episode 2 at least kept my interest despite the hokeyness. Some good scenes and I thought Leia worked a lot better in 2 than 1. In 1 her writing was absolutely terrible and none of her delivery worked ("must be space pirates", or her roasting her cousin feeling like a self insert of a 40yo saying what they wish they could say in hindsight you know, VS her just being smart and perceptive for her age like episode 2).

Last edited:

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I just can't get over the idea of not catching up with a kid running away. It's absolutely ruining my day. I'm glad to see post after post in here talking about it so I know I'm not alone. It is the worst thing I've ever seen in a high budget tv show.

That's been a trope since time immemorial, I'm not sure why people have a problem with it. Like, it's her forest that the show established she hangs out in all the time, meanwhile the pirates are trying to capture her alive.

Unless you're talking about the city chase, where Obi is trying to catch her without drawing attention. Which… he's trying to catch her without drawing attention.

Also, in both instances, in freaking Princess Leia.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
The third sister doing hella parkour only for that to go nowhere is how I feel about this show to some extent.

Just goofy ass sequences for the sake of having a scene. Disappointing. Same with how she stabbed the grand Inquisitor. What a weirdly edited scene. "Watch and learn", extend hand out, she comes in from the side? And stabs him through the front. Just weirdly executed. Don't get me started on Leia running around. Just looked goofy.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Enjoying the show so much already. Leia is great... really enjoying her character as a kid. People have to realize she's a 10 year old and they aren't going to believe Obi Wan is a Jedi straight away, lol not to mention Anakin saw Qui-gon and Obi Wan as a kid as jedis... while Leia has not seen any.

I guess my only problem with the show so far is how fast
the Grand Inquisitor was killed off. I hope it was just a fake
but I really am enjoying the lady Inquisitor as a character. Honestly thought the show flowed really well but that might be because I rewatched episode III this week to get a quick recap even though I already knew everything. What a joke though when you look at the Knights of Ren in episode IX that had NO DEVELOPMENT and these Inquisitors already did more than any of them. Just proves to me how much of a joke IX was.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Exactly, one can spot a shoddy scene or two in any show, but to just jump into words like "Amateurish" is so incredibly snobbish for what Star Wars is that it's hilarious.

There's stuff like TROS that completely falls apart and there's just no way to ignore the issues. But stuff like dumb parkour or shoddy chases to accomodate an 8 year old actress is so nitpicky for what SW aims to be it hurts.

Gyz7.gif

"Look at this amateurish choreography, I had to stop and do a double take, this is just mind numbingly bad, like actual CW budget, it's a fundamental misunderstanding of how action choreography works, I can't believe this the best they could get out of George Lucas! I'm the Nostalgia Critic, make sure to subscribe"
As long as it looks better than Episode 2 and 3 it's okay for me, fuck those films look like video games.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
That's been a trope since time immemorial, I'm not sure why people have a problem with it. Like, it's her forest that the show established she hangs out in all the time, meanwhile the pirates are trying to capture her alive.

Unless you're talking about the city chase, where Obi is trying to catch her without drawing attention. Which… he's trying to catch her without drawing attention.

Also, in both instances, in freaking Princess Leia.

I'm honestly just taking the piss. It's like every other post in here and it just doesn't matter.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
I more or less enjoyed the first 2 episodes, especially when compared to the Bobba Fett series. However, it feels like the acting is all over the place. None of it is terrible, but it's like there are characters from 4 different unrelated movies in these episodes.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019

Gyz7.gif

"The stormtroopers conveniently miss every shot despite being 10 feet away so the heroes can magically escape. Plot armor! Unwatchable."

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I liked it but didn't love it, could go either way, if it ramps up over the next few episodes it'll all look good in hindsight

Didn't realize it was gonna be Leia focused, makes sense, better angle than Luke focused. The child chase scenes did seem goofy tho

Grand Inquisitor death a fake out I assume? My understanding is it messes with Rebels (not that that matters) and potentially Jedi Survivor

Would be shocked if we don't see Liam Neeson and Natalie Portman cameos with everything so far, I'm down for Cameron Monaghan too

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017

It's not about the questioning the logic of how adults can't catch up to 10 years old kid (now who's not paying attention), it's how they sell that logic. They could've make those mercenaries a bunch of unreliable bunch with goofy atmosphere, but they didn't. They instead try to make it seems like Leia is familiar with the forest and skilled at navigating, only to fail at complementing that with proper setups and shoddy camera works.

Baby's Day Out has more believable chase scene and that was with a baby.

Last edited:

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I liked…but not that great so far
Obi is so weak…like he got caught by some street thugs, got surprised by a child and if he face a inquisitor he would have been killed in 2 seconds.
Really hope he steps ups his game because he's one of the coolest and badass Jedi we ever had
Edit: i know he is supposed to be rusty…but it think is a little too much

Ssyem

Mar 15, 2022
I liked it but didn't love it, could go either way, if it ramps up over the next few episodes it'll all look good in hindsight

Didn't realize it was gonna be Leia focused, makes sense, better angle than Luke focused. The child chase scenes did seem goofy tho

Grand Inquisitor death a fake out I assume? My understanding is it messes with Rebels (not that that matters) and potentially Jedi Survivor

Would be shocked if we don't see Liam Neeson and Natalie Portman cameos with everything so far, I'm down for Cameron Monaghan too

Rebels is some of the best Star Wars in recent memory and is a lynchpin of the Disney+ shows, it definitely matters lol.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
It's not about the questioning the logic of how adults can't catch up to 10 years old kid (now who's not paying attention), it's how they sell that logic. They could've make those mercenaries a bunch of unreliable bunch with goofy atmosphere, but they didn't. They instead try to make it seems like Leia is familiar with the forest and skilled at navigating, only to fail at complementing that with proper setups and shoddy camera works.

Baby's Day Out has more believable chase scene and that was with a baby.

The actress was 8 while filming, which is why I said "Accomodate an 8 year old actress"

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
It's not about the questioning the logic of how adults can't catch up to 10 years old kid (now who's not paying attention), it's how they sell that logic.

There's this really intense music playing which means its meant to be taken seriously, then the green alien cant see this huge tree branch from a few seconds away, clotheslining herself in the face with an "oof" grunt. It was really, really funny.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Yeah the chase scenes are silly, but otherwise this is actually pretty good? I already liking it more than Boba Fett by far. Ewan McGregor is really selling a wore down Obi Wan, and I like Reva a lot.

I actually liked The Grand Inquisitor, despite still looking a bit goofy, but too bad he is out till maybe the end I suppose.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
The forest chase was a lot more than just the bad guys being incompetent.

The chase could have been shot a lot better but it lasted like 10 seconds and she was caught anyway. It was campy nonsense, but that's what I come to this franchise for! It reminded me of silliness like, I dunno, Home Alone 2 or something, with a small kid implausibly managing to escape adults. Even a bit classic Star Trek, if I may be sacrilegious (both ways?). :P

There's never going to be any dramatic tension with any these characters anyway because we know what their trajectory is and where they end up. Every action scene with any of these characters can only really end up a certain way. If someone is chased, they'll either get caught or not, and if they are, they'll either escape or be rescued. Nobody is dying or getting severely injured in any fight. If Leia jumps off a building, someone's gonna save her cause she never dies until she does, much later in life.

I am curious how they approach the inevitable Obi-Wan/Vader clash. Cause nothing there is actually gonna happen, so it'll be interesting to see how they work that out.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
The chase scene was obviously bad, but it was also a chase scene with a 10 year old and this is star wars. I don't understand why this fandom in particular is so fixated on visual fidelity in the strangest ways given this is a franchise where bad looking stuff is almost a distinctive element of the IP.

What bothers me more is how unbelievably badly they write Leia. The whole psychological takedown of her cousin was one of the least believable dialogue scenes I've ever seen, and this is a franchise with stiff competition in that regard. And they are trying to play both sides where she's smart for her age where they have her act and speak like an adult in some scenes, but then they revert her to kid mode at the worst times like how after she's rescued, she's oohing and aahing about being in on a new planet even though she's just been kidnapped and people are still looking for her.

That said, this has been the most promising of the SW shows I've seen because Ewan can really act well and he does a good job playing Obiwan. I am hoping they can do something good with him. We shall see.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The chase scene was obviously bad, but it was also a chase scene with a 10 year old and this is star wars, I don't understand why this fandom in particular is so fixated on visual fidelity in a franchise where bad looking stuff is almost a distinctive element of the IP.

You can't dismiss peoples criticisms with "its Star Wars so its meant to be poorly directed and edited!"
That's not its visual identity. Some scenes and dialogue are just poor, regardless of how silly you think Star Wars is.

Oct 26, 2017

Funny.

I thought episode 1 was basically unwatchable dog shit but episode 2 at least kept my interest despite the hokeyness. Some good scenes and I thought Leia worked a lot better in 2 than 1. In 1 her writing was absolutely terrible and none of her delivery worked ("must be space pirates", or her roasting her cousin feeling like a self insert of a 40yo saying what they wish they could say in hindsight you know, VS her just being smart and perceptive for her age like episode 2).

Cute kids, hope that Luke's actor gets some screen time at the end. Safe bet.

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
Why is it that every Star Wars games I've played, like 50 of them, all use John Williams music from the original trilogy? And for some reason none of these TV shows do?
I give the Mandalorian a pass because the music was really good, but this is Ben, Leia, Luke, friggin lightsabers, using the force, and you can't switch to the relevant original themes?

For instance this should've been played when introducing Leia and family:

This should've been played when Ben opened the light saber box:

I swear its like these people who make these shows don't remember what the movies were like.

Last edited: