• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Novoitus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the two episodes but man the chase scenes were bad. And Obiwan somehow making it down on the street after that rooftop gunfight right away was jarring. Seems like something bad happened on set and they just scrapped shit and said they'd fix it in post.

Also the actress playing as the third sister doesn't seem to be a very good actress. Hopefully she gets better over the course of the show.

Oct 26, 2017
Although I thought the first couple of episodes were rough, I think it may be more of the show having trouble getting its bearings than damning for the rest of the series. The potential for flashbacks, Vader dealing with the inquisitors, and some more world building and Clone Wars/Rebels integration is promising.

I enjoyed the two episodes but man the chase scenes were bad. And Obiwan somehow making it down on the street after that rooftop gunfight right away was jarring. Seems like something bad happened on set and they just scrapped shit and said they'd fix it in post.

Also the actress playing as the third sister doesn't seem to be a very good actress. Hopefully she gets better over the course of the show.
She seems like a fine actress, but she hasn't been able to sell herself as intimidating yet. Script hasn't given her many opportunities either. Like why was she so gentle with Kumail? That would have been a great opportunity to show how ruthless she is, like how she cut off that woman's hand in the first episode. But even then, having her then threaten a character we know is fine by ANH really undercuts any tension that builds intimidation.

Novoitus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Although I thought the first couple of episodes were rough, I think it may be more of the show having trouble getting its bearings than damning for the rest of the series. The potential for flashbacks, Vader dealing with the inquisitors, and some more world building and Clone Wars/Rebels integration is promising.

She seems like a fine actress, but she hasn't been able to sell herself as intimidating yet. Script hasn't given her many opportunities either. Like why was she so gentle with Kumail? That would have been a great opportunity to show how ruthless she is, like how she cut off that woman's hand in the first episode. But even then, having her then threaten a character we know is fine by ANH really undercuts any tension that builds intimidation.
Yeah I've been going back and forth w/ acting vs writing. The more I think about it, the more I think she wasn't written very well for these two episodes.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the Inquisitors can just extract info with mind reading why bother intimidating anyone? It was awfully forced to have Reva single out Owen too.

Also don't understand why Obi Wan wants to train Luke at all when he said just moments before that the war is lost and the Jedi are no more.

It also seems like Leia is much more suited to being trained as a Jedi than Luke at this point so it'll be interesting how they manoeuvre out of that.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a child of adoption, but all the Leia/Bail stuff was really sweet.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

There are definitely some performances here that are questionable. I think a lot of it is poor writing but then you have Nari? and any time he would speak I was immediately taken out of it. I hope it's just these first two episodes on shaky footing.

Oct 26, 2017
The problem, to me, are those who insist Star Wars (particularly the OT) is some sort of high art.

Star Wars is a young kid story about space wizards that clumsily touches heavy themes sometimes. It's at it's best when it embraces what it is. It literally has the same structure and themes of a Shonen anime.

The reason why the only pieces of SW Media I truly dislike are TFA and TROS is because they seem to be embarrassed of what came before and tried to erase parts of it.

Fuck it, go crazy. Do Luuke for all I care, just make it fun
No one is saying it's high art. The OT (or ANH and ESB at least) are very well made and written films. They had a lot of originality, heart, and authenticity, as well as themes/ideas that could appeal to all. They were never intended to be kids movies, maybe with some stuff in TPM being an exception. Not a good excuse for a mediocre script.

What's really happening is Star Wars has transformed from something genuine into a product. That was always its fate after it got so large, and we saw it happening with Lucas too, but so much of this show reeks of producer interference and pressure to appeal to the lowest common denominator of a global audience. I think that's why the series has struggled to attract talent, outside of other factors like the fanbase's reaction to TLJ.

Ssyem

Banned
Mar 15, 2022
I feel like this is going to wind up being something truly special after it's all done but it doesn't lend itself to episodic release, felt like just the opening act of a long movie.

Amazing to see Ewan again.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
If the Inquisitors can just extract info with mind reading why bother intimidating anyone? It was awfully forced to have Reva single out Owen too.

Also don't understand why Obi Wan wants to train Luke at all when he said just moments before that the war is lost and the Jedi are no more.

It also seems like Leia is much more suited to being trained as a Jedi than Luke at this point so it'll be interesting how they manoeuvre out of that.

I imagine mind reading works like mind tricks, where it's not always possible dependent on the subject. It makes sense in and out of story for her to pick Owen, since he's the most immediately guilty person in the vicinity and they likely wanted to do more with him early on.

I feel like this is going to wind up being something truly special after it's all done but it doesn't lend itself to episodic release, felt like just the opening act of a long movie.

Amazing to see Ewan again.

I think that's why they've been doing double episode releases, each show has used its first episode as a true intro, which is fine in movies but in a show it would mean you don't really see the plot until episode two.

Oct 26, 2017
I imagine mind reading works like mind tricks, where it's not always possible dependent on the subject. It makes sense in and out of story for her to pick Owen, since he's the most immediately guilty person in the vicinity and they likely wanted to do more with him early on.

Yeah that's strange, if she was suspicious of Owen then why not just read his mind? She would have found out about Luke and that Obi-Wan was standing like 50 feet away. Seemed to be a fairly easy process with Kumail. Maybe he was "strong willed," but if he was resisting her probing his mind, wouldn't that make her even more suspicious and resort to more dramatic tactics? Po was a strong willed guy and look at what Kylo had to do to him to wrench out the information he needed.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019

He feels a particular responsibility for Luke because he blames himself for Anakin. And he was reluctant even to go after Leia. He was content to just live a simple life outside of watching over Luke.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
That Leia chase was comical, but I find myself liking the actress playing her.

Hasn't annoyed me yet although she doesn't really speak like a child.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Halfway through episode 2 and overall enjoying the show, but good lord the chase sequences are awful. I hope someone with more talent than I edits failed QT event button prompts into the forest chase.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
I think Obi Wan's main motivation is that he won't be around to protect Luke forever. Eventually, Luke is going to have to know how to protect himself.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
Overall loved the first two episodes. Filling gaps that I hadn't even recognized existed.

Only draw back so far has been some hokey-ness that I hope they address in later episodes. The chase scenes in particular - the goons chasing Leia, and the overly dramatic chase by the girl inquisitor with flips and twirls in the second episode chief among them.

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
Just finished watching the 2 episodes. Really enjoyed it! So glad to have Ewan back.

Funny thing, I watched it with my girlfriend who had never see anything related to Star Wars before. (She knew the name Darth Vader and Skywalker, that's all)
I was worried, but 2 videos of recap of the prequels on Youtube + the small recap at the beginning was enough for her to follow and she enjoyed it.

I did not wanted to skip the prequels, even if I hate I and II but love III, it just that we did not have time to watch them before the episodes release and I could not wait...

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Immediately before that, Owen was glancing over at Obi-Wan, which is probably a pretty typical behavior that she would be looking for and pick up on.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, at this point I can chalk it up to some awkward table-setting. I still like what we got, though, and I'm excited to see where it goes.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Ewan has been the only saving grace of this show so far, as with the ending tease from the second episode.

Sat on it a few hours, still just baffled at how bad some of this stuff is? I've watched a few episodes of Mandalorian here and there, none of Boba Fett. The former was of much higher quality. This is a massive step down from Clone Wars and Rebels.

Like this is an Obi Wan series, why does it feel so cheap with such a weak script?

It seems that content from the first two episodes make up most the trailer so here's hoping for a massive improvement from next week.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
When Bail told Obi that Leia is just as important as Luke, I had a laugh because Obi Wan's conversations with Yoda in the OT suggests that he seriously thinks otherwise.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
And i remember why weekly episodes suck. First two were alright but I just want to binge this. Really hate this move back to weekly.

FantasyFreak07

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it enough. The chase scenes were extremely goofy, though. Leia and her actress are great, and I like Obi-Wan's characterization. Hopefully, it'll get better.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Someone needs to tell the producers over at Lucasfilm that they need to just stop doing chase sequences XD

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
1st episode is pretty boring, 2nd is way better once they get off Tatooine. But good lord the writing is all over the place. They tried to make her seemingly more ruthless, yet didn't kill Kumail. And her running on the roof towards the firefight doing all those unnecessary flips only for the fight to be over before she arrives were hilarious. And then the scene where she suddenly scream out of nowhere threatening to kill Owen is just so fucking bad.

And then the chase scene in the forest oh god. Those obvious tree branches being planted on the ground to make the mercenaries having a hard time navigating through it and the head bump. Lots of moments that make the production feels so sloppy.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I really feel like they should just reboot Star Wars at this point and have huge creative freedom with the TV shows (that doesn't mean remake the OT, put down the pitchfork) they are really pushing it with retcons right now.
Could have a season season with Obi-Wan training Leia and more encounters with Vader/other Sith etc, they are incredibly limited by the OT. Leia not originally being a Skywalker and not being trained as a Jedi is a flaw in the OT and it really seems Lucasfilm wants to change this but there is little they can do if they follow the OT.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA

I'm watching the 2nd episode now and I'm not sure if I missed something or not. He went from gunfight on roof to ground in a second like nothing was happening.

Sayers

Oct 28, 2017
SURELY they aren't going to retcon out that it was Kanan who defeated the Grand Inquisitor right?

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
I really feel like they should just reboot Star Wars at this point and have huge creative freedom with the TV shows (that doesn't mean remake the OT, put down the pitchfork) they are really pushing it with retcons right now.
Could have a season season with Obi-Wan training Leia and more encounters with Vader/other Sith etc, they are incredibly limited by the OT.

I thought the same thing. I think that they're going to remake the original trilogy sooner or later.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
My wife and I enjoyed these episodes a lot. The Leia bits were unexpected, but totally welcome. And Flea got to bite it as a Star Wars baddie! Everyone knows that reality is boring, so we make up stories that aren't boring, film them, then people complain that they're not realistic.

Nedjoe

Feb 6, 2019
Thought this was terrible 😑

I made it maybe 3/4 of the way through. Everything felt very flat, from the characters to the camera work.

It's such a harsh jump coming from shows like Severence and Better Call Saul. You would think a *star wars* show could at least be interesting.

Oct 25, 2017
They would have to do it carefully and not call it New Hope, Empire etc. Those movies are treasures.
Jedi sucks though

I could never say that. It has the Throne Room scenes. It's not on the level of the other two. But those were some damn good moments that really elevated the movie for me and seeing the clear internal struggle from Vader.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
My guess is they are going to bring him back in like a final episode teaser for the Ashoka series, given it is set prior to the OT (I don't know if it is or not).
It feels odd to me that he wouldn't come back in some way in this show. Like, if his only purpose for being in this show was a couple of spats with Reva then why have him in at all? Idk, that just seems odd to me. I think he's for-sure serving a greater role here that we'll see later, and meant for more than just a final episode setup for Ashoka.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
eh, I just enjoyed this with a big goofy grin- a mandalorian sized grin, not a half grin stifling a yawn like Book of Boba eps with Boba in it.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
The Grand Inquisitor just did the Hans Landa monologue from the beginning of Basterds 😮

They would have to do it carefully and not call it New Hope, Empire etc. Those movies are treasures.
Jedi sucks though

It's mostly bad, but Luke redeeming Anakin through nonviolence is one of Lucas' finest choices.

kcp12304

Oct 27, 2017
Kid Leia is the best part of this show but man, do we need another "guy becomes a proverbial dad by having to baby sit the kid" star wars show.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kid Leia is the best part of this show but man, do we need another "guy becomes a proverbial dad by having to baby sit the kid" star wars show.

Yeah, can't imagine a lot of people looking forward to this were expecting that to be the plot. Maybe Leia won't end up another baby yoda but it feels she'll be with Obi Wan the entire series :/

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
For people hoping it gets better, I only ask :

Do you trust the people who made episode 1 and 2 to somehow handle Darth Vader's make up, de-aging, and action scenes, well ?

Because personally the reason I'm so bummed is the anticipation of the garbage coming.

What have they done to my poor boy Hayden ....

Man Filoni better save him in Ahsoka.

"We rewrote the original story because we didn't want Obiwan to watch over Luke as that felt too similar to the Mandalorian story".
This is literally what was said.

It's on par with "We didn't want a "savior story" so we decided to kill John Connor. So here's Dana, the new main character, she becomes the leader of the resistance in the future !".

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
It's such a harsh jump coming from shows like Severence and Better Call Saul. You would think a *star wars* show could at least be interesting.
Its a bummer all round. How did Better Call Saul manage to be more visually interesting than Star Wars? Ewan is still great in the roll but everything around it...

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished. It's alright so far, stronger start than Mando from what I remember, and definitely better start than Boba Fett. I didn't expect the hook to be Obi babysitting Child Leia, but sure that works

Ewan is... ok? Some occasional bright spots here and there, but for the most part he comes off as so stiff to me, I expected more tbh

Child Leia is great though, I have a soft spot for sassy precocious kids, and she is already top tier so far.

Agreed on the chase scenes being pretty goofy, how did that merc run into that tree branch he could see a mile away lmfao?

I like the actress playing Reva. A little hammy, but she works for me so far.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
And the director directed an episode of BSC too. Kinda feel like the production was rushed to hell.
Yeah the city felt empty, like Obi Wan was just strolling through some sets. The choreography was just bad in the hand to hand scenes as well. Ewan is usually great in fight scenes, but he did not look like a Jedi master, even with 10 years out of the game.