• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah the simple fact is they cheaped out on the Grand Inquisitor Makeup for one reason or the other and it stands out even worse now with the species showing up in other media in its true style

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Just watched both episodes back to back. I already like it more than Mando and Boba Fett! Loved the clone war vet in episode 2, and Leia's ability to assess people in a really withering away. Wasn't too fond of her running away like an idiot for so long, but it is what it is... think it's gonna be good!

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
The action is just laughably bad in the last few Star Wars shows. Both Leía chases, like was mentioned, but also all the fight scenes felt very fake and feel very slow.

Reva just standing there at the end with a FULL LIT lightsaber within reach of the transport and she didn't jump on, or try to stop it some other way? It's just weird. The story is good though.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
If there's anything to expect from general public Star Wars content, it's hate.
Star Wars has one of the most miserable fandoms ever.

They nitpick shit to death and then act like the most minor things they didn't like are complete travesties.
Yeah, I guess I'm not surprised. The only time they've been right is with the hatred towards Rise of Skywalker. I'm just gonna stay out of this thread like I do for every SW thread.

Sep 6, 2020
This is the best Star Wars has been since the acquisition. Love seeing little Leia and I LOVED seeing Kumail. He's hilarious and then kind of amazingly loyal and brave. Reva is a fantastic villain, truly menacing, and I was shocked they had her kill the inquisitor. Please don't disappoint me, show— I'm getting a Star Wars feeling I haven't felt in a long time.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I actually thought the Grand Inquisitor looked way better than he did in the trailers.

Absolutely love the surprise of getting Leia in this. And they've been writing her great. Really excited to see where all this goes.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Man that was rough. Really thought Lucasfilm would bring their A game for this.

If I didn't have any nostalgia for the prequels I don't know what would keep me watching.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Still, though -- the fact that a Pau'an in a video game can end up looking so close to their depiction in RotS, while live action Grand Inquisitor is over here looking so cheapo, is pretty jarring.

The grand inquisitor has to be mixed race. This is now the only explanation we can accept because of how bad he looks.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I actually thought the Grand Inquisitor looked way better than he did in the trailers.

Absolutely love the surprise of getting Leia in this. And they've been writing her great. Really excited to see where all this goes.

Yeah, the Inquisitor looked fine. The face makeup went a long way in selling his vibe.

Like, no, it's not 100% lore accurate, but whatever.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Yeah, I guess I'm not surprised. The only time they've been right is with the hatred towards Rise of Skywalker. I'm just gonna stay out of this thread like I do for every SW thread.

"I think the chase in TLJ was boring and didn't do much for me, cool scenes with Rey tho"

If you apply the Star Wars Era Criticism Filter™ becomes

"That was an EMBARRASSING, AMATEURISH, excuse for a chase, like my eyes were in disbelief at just how bad it was, it's just a FUNDAMENTAL MISUNDERSTANDING of how chase sequences operate, the Rey stuff was okay I guess"

And every single one of us has used the filter at some point. It is inevitable.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
The best scene has to be Obi Wan giving to the beggar veteran from the 501st, knowing what they had done a decade earlier.

chiller

Apr 23, 2021
How did Obi-Wan let her parents know that Leia was safe if all signals are blocked on the planet? Did I miss something?

I liked it so far. It's campy. I can understand why people seem down on it though.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Temeura cameoing as a homeless vet was a surprise (but a welcome one to be sure).

The kid they've gotten for Leia is a great find.

Yeah, Grand Inquisitor looks like a potato head in wide shots, but in close ups the makeup looks better.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Well, this is my first Disney Star Wars show (I don't watch a lot of current TV, but Ewan's Obi-Wan and the sort of cultural re-assessment of the prequels got me intrigued -- it's been a few years as I dipped out pretty hard when Rise of Skywalker ended up being an incel dump). Despite being massively into Star Wars as a kid, I approach it from a pretty removed and curious place nowadays. So far, I think this show is a mixed bag that I'm enjoying in a kind of high-calorie, low-nutritional-content kinda way. I can see right through the mechanics of the emotional beats, but I'm still having enough fun to be affected by them.

Stuff I like so far:
  • That prequel recap was so well edited, it made the prequels look like sci-fi Lord of the Rings
  • Ewan's Obi-Wan has always been money, he still is
  • Even though it's kind of silly that Star Wars has become this series where you must see every single character when they were baby children, little Leia is a treat -- the kid has chops and the characterization is on-point
  • I actually like the gravity that the Leia rescue mission and the Alderaan stuff lends to A New Hope in a few different ways (despite it being a little cagey with the wording of Leia's distress message in that movie)
  • Some of the returning supporting cast is fire. Bail and Owen both turn in great performances
  • While his performance at first seemed aesthetically out of place in a Star War, I really came around the Kumail Nanjiani's character. It does a lot to recontextualize what the Jedi have become in the cultural mythos at this point, and I thought that him essentially being
    a big Jedi fan boy
    was affecting
Really, I'm not going to dock the show too much for some of its goofy shit, because Star Wars is goofy shit. Apart from some clunky dialogue (again, that's pretty Star Warsian), the main thing that pulls me out is that I'm finding that a whole lot of the supporting cast turns in shockingly sub-par performances. It's so refreshing when someone delivers a line that doesn't sound amateurish (like the ticket taker lady at the end of the first episode; nearly everyone else who just has a few lines is so bad that I thought she was going to be a significant character because her delivery was so good). Flea is as bad as he is distracting, Mushroom Hat Sith Guy just sneers forever. And I really hate to say this because I love her character (including the not-subtle racial themes that I hope they expand on) and I want her to succeed in spite of the toxic Star Wars community, but man, I think Reva's actor is extremely bad. I feel like I should be feeling something like the sense of intimidation or awe-of-badassery you get when Darth Vader first walks on screen, but it's like a flat pulse. I get no sense of rage simmering under the surface, I don't feel her urgent need for ambition, I just get nothing. I'm really taken aback by it, but I'm glad it seems like others are really into her.

Last edited:

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
So is Leia's ability to read people like that supposed to be linked to her force abilities or is she just a perceptive kid?

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
How did Obi-Wan let her parents know that Leia was safe if all signals are blocked on the planet? Did I miss something?

I liked it so far. It's campy. I can understand why people seem down on it though.

The signals for tracking ships, communication, like the bounty hunters getting the request to hunt Obi is possible

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Yeah, the Inquisitor looked fine. The face makeup went a long way in selling his vibe.

Like, no, it's not 100% lore accurate, but whatever.

Yeah I think he still looks cool. It's not 1:1 to animation/ROTS but I still dig him. The other Inquisitors look cool and they gave us a dinosaur bounty hunter, I'm loving it. The action figure they made for Grand Inquisitor looks sweet too.

Unrelated to that, but thinking about the shoe again, the bit about Padme hit me way harder than I expected it to.

So is Leia's ability to read people like that supposed to be linked to her force abilities or is she just a perceptive kid?

I think it's the latter. She's getting raised by Bail and has the blood of Padme in her, plus she was always really on top of things in the OT. I don't think it's a force thing, Leia never needed it to be good at what age does.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Damn that opening was especially dark

Other than that this show has wayy better musical score then Mando. and I'm way invested in the story too .

But agree the leia chase scene x2 was cringe and grand inquisitor is a funny man

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I just wish I had more places to talk about the show. Finally I've gotten to a point where I've just been genuinely happy about some dumb Star Wars just embracing being dumb Star Wars and then Darth Killjoylius somehow returns

Morbius fandom is more fun.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
The action is just laughably bad in the last few Star Wars shows. Both Leía chases, like was mentioned, but also all the fight scenes felt very fake and feel very slow.
Agree completely. It's weird, but all the Disney Star Wars live action shows feel the same....if that makes sense. And not in good way.

They just feel cheap and bland. The writing, direction, acting.....none of it is good.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I just wish I had more places to talk about the show. Finally I've gotten to a point where I've just been genuinely happy about some dumb Star Wars just embracing being dumb Star Wars and then Darth Killjoylius somehow returns

This is kindest place on the internet to discuss it currently.

You probably really want to avoid Twitter and broader places.

Maybe dedicated forums are nicer ? Not sure.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019

Well I think ultimately both since Leia's just always been a perceptive character in every story and I don't think it's always the Force (or maybe?), but I do they're trying to build on her Force powers being a bit dormant and then slowly starting to emerge, maybe accelerated now that she's on the run and in danger.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Had a tough time enjoying the first bit of the show----after opening with a jedi elementary school shooting. And their teacher even dies.

Terrible timing. No content warning. They should have cut it.

But, also, a scene like that wasn't needed in the first place.

And it certainly did nothing to enhance the story. Especially since it's not really even visibly connected.

Yeah, this was very unfortunate timing. I felt physically ill watching it, after processing this week.

I agree with this. I'm not even American (if that matters) and I felt super uncomfortable watching that scene after the news this week.

And even if the story ties back into it later, it felt really out of place for the rest of the first two episodes. They'd just shown us Order 66 stuff in the "previously on" bit so there wasn't really much need for it, and it wasn't referenced at all in the rest of the episodes. I feel like they could have done a last-minute cut and it wouldn't have changed things at all.

Terribly strange they didn't think of this sooner, but they're… working on it:

deadline.com

Disney “Working” On Adding Violence Advisory To ‘Obi-Wan Kenobi’ Series Due To Similarities To Texas School Shooting; ‘Star Wars’ Show Currently Has “Upsetting” Warning On Streamer Landing Page – Update

UPDATED with Disney statement: Similarities between a horrible mass shooting at a Texas elementary school this week and a Jedi school massacre in Disney+’s new Obi-Wan Kenobi series has seen a succession of warnings added to the Ewan McGregor-led show. “There are certain scenes in this fictional...

"In light of recent tragic events, we recognize there are certain scenes in this fictional series that some viewers may find upsetting and a content warning has been added to the show page," a Disney spokesperson told Deadline today. "We are also working to add an advisory in front of the series as quickly as possible," the rep added.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

The problem, to me, are those who insist Star Wars (particularly the OT) is some sort of high art.

Star Wars is a young kid story about space wizards that clumsily touches heavy themes sometimes. It's at it's best when it embraces what it is. It literally has the same structure and themes of a Shonen anime.

The reason why the only pieces of SW Media I truly dislike are TFA and TROS is because they seem to be embarrassed of what came before and tried to erase parts of it.

Fuck it, go crazy. Do Luuke for all I care, just make it fun

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

I didn't actually take that as Obi being honest. I thought it was just him trying to convince her to keep going.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Hey all, I posted a few times here, but I was thinking of rewatching all the necessary SW content - movies, animated series, and Disney+ shows. Was wondering if anyone can provide a good order to watch? Thanks!

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
"General Kenobi, you fought along side my father during the Clone Wars, and also you saved me that time when I was 10 and we had an adventure together. "

Meh.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Hey all, I posted a few times here, but I was thinking of rewatching all the necessary SW content - movies, animated series, and Disney+ shows. Was wondering if anyone can provide a good order to watch? Thanks!

For Obi Wan specifically, Phantom Menace > Attack of the Clones > The Clone Wars > Revenge of the Sith. Once the show is done, following it up with Rebels > Rogue One > A New Hope would be the ticket.

Bad Batch and Solo are set in the same time period, but so far there hasn't been anything super relevant in either that's shown up in Obi Wan.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
"General Kenobi, you fought along side my father during the Clone Wars, and also you saved me that time when I was 10 and we had an adventure together. "

Meh.

If it bothers you as much as it bothers me, tell yourself that in the rush she just didn't get that people called him "obiwan" and she still thinks his name is Ben.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
I like Bail Organa. And his interactions with Leia.

I liked that scene where Obi talked to Leia about Padme.

Dec 16, 2017
I wish I liked this, but the quality just isn't there. I shouldn't be able to find better Star Wars action scenes in YouTube fan films than an official Obi Wan show.

chiller

Apr 23, 2021

They're squinting real hard from Alderaan.

The signals for tracking ships, communication, like the bounty hunters getting the request to hunt Obi is possible

I thought of it as absolutely no kinds of communication in / out of the planet, but internal-to-internal stuff like the bounty going out to everyone was fine. Star Wars tech is usually flexible to what the story needs in the moment, though.

I didn't actually take that as Obi being honest. I thought it was just him trying to convince her to keep going.

Okay, yeah. This makes the most sense to me, and adds an interesting little bit of characterization too.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Agree completely. It's weird, but all the Disney Star Wars live action shows feel the same....if that makes sense. And not in good way.

They just feel cheap and bland. The writing, direction, acting.....none of it is good.
Idk how to explain it better than… the action feels like it's at the speed of a stage show rather than an action movie

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
I've only watched the first episode, but can't say I'm feeling it. Enjoying McGregor's performance, at least.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
My guy at this point we know they randomly picked Obiwan content and it will have 0 bearing on the show itself.

giphy.gif