• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Former President Barack Obama on Wednesday offered up his advice for clear decision-making in the Oval Office -- avoid TV and social media, which only "clouds your judgment."
"What you have to do is to create a process where you have confidence that whatever data is out there has been sifted, sorted and the core issues that are going to be important to your decision, you're able to see it around," Obama said during an interview onstage at a technology conference in San Francisco.
"And that requires not just a good process but making sure you have a team that's got a diversity of opinion. The other thing that's helpful is not watching TV. Or, you know, reading, you know, social media," he said to a cheering crowd.
More at the link

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quitting Facebook and Instagram has benefited me immeasurably. Strongly considering quitting Twitter too, but it's pretty good for news.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Whatever the fuck does the President needs to watch TV for?
That person should have briefings to get the latest news before anyone else anyway.
And social media? Why the hell should the President waste their time on something an intern can take care off?
And I'm not even talking about the US President here.
That the US president have time to watch tv and goof off on twitter is insane.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He is 1000% right about TV News.

Social Media has to be curated regardless of who's using it.

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
The primary reason I had to cutback my social media use is because of how much it clouds my judgement. I think people would be shocked at how much differently they behave away from it.

It's hard to be conscious of it when it becomes habitual. Admittedly, I feel that void with ERA I often find which I try not to do too often.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I log on Twitter and Facebook probably once every 3 months. At one point Twitter was my "front page of the internet" but not anymore.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
Strongly agree.
I think a majority of Americans would also agree given its the main problem I hear about Trump in Trump Country

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
8xfkNau.gif

Implying the people sifting and sorting the current data are at all competent

Then, it's important to make sure you are putting capable people in those positions.
That's why there used to be a lot of scientists and data-minded people in charge of critical government agencies.
Michael Lewis's The Fifth Risk goes into depth about what happens when government loses interest in the stewardship of the data and information it collects.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Says the man who never interacted or was accessable to his constituents.

Trump is THE MOST ACCESSABLE PRESIDENT EVER! Thank you!

/s

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Did you hear that, President cheeto? Oh yeah, cheetos don't have ears. Nor brain.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a sensible opinion.

I'm a year and a half removed. The first two weeks was really weird, but then this calm washed over me. I also started texting and calling friends more, and eventually seeing them more. Really strange how that happened. Anyone else have a similar experience?

What if you don't have friends? :'v

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a year and a half removed. The first two weeks was really weird, but then this calm washed over me. I also started texting and calling friends more, and eventually seeing them more. Really strange how that happened. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Yep! I've been off Facebook for about the same amount of time. I have a couple of close friends I talk to/see regularly and that's more than enough for me.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
I think Obama is really going to be a boon once the primary is decided and the general election really gets going. He's staying a bit distant right now b/c I think he doesn't want to endorse any particular candidate for strategic reasons, but once that's decided I think he's going to be out here way more than he has been since he's been in office, and dude is popular. Probably honestly more popular now than whatever his height was when he was in office.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
I only use facebook to buy used stuff of the marketplace. No one on my friends list uses it anymore.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Look at obama telling others what 'clouds your judgement on decision making' in politics. Yeah, sorry bud, you dont get to talk.

Not to say i dont agree with people in general turning off corporate media and social media. But as one of main people of the last few decades most affected by outside influences, he should not be talking about conflicts of interest or bias in any fashion.

If you want to talk about something creating bias, you should look at the bias of Washington and how corruption and conflicts of interest really are created when governing, something Obama is clearly aware of.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao. Obama should have taken his own advice when he fired Shirley Sherrod and had Van Jones resign due to Breitbart and Glenn Beck's trolling.

Orin_linwe

Nov 26, 2017
Malmoe, Sweden.
It's impossible to not see this as Obama subtweeting Trump, and it's just exhausting to see former heads of state, and current heads of states being essentially just as petty as any online random, anonymous dumb-fuck.

There's literally no difference, and it's kinda nightmarish - in a way - to get these glimpses of "oh, the people behind the shape of this world are actually, on some level, just me at 3:am being drunk and impotently spiteful".

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Let me say it clearly, Trump's garbage isnt because he watches TV or reads social media. AOC does the same and has good decision making skills. The problem is that he is a corrupt son of a bitch who has tons of corrupt people around him, and everything he does is based on people who agree with that worldview and stroke his ego about it

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think there needs to be a balance. Like you need a minimum of social media interaction with your constituents or you risk falling out of touch.

Executive time is too much though...