• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Perry Simm

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
User banned (permanent): troll account, defending sexual misconduct
I think everything that has happened since proves that the dude was and is a massive fucking piece of shit. And I have concerns about boiling sexual assault and being a massive creep with no boundaries as "simple, understandable, and a very human mistake" that just got "overblown".
Whoa whoa whoa. Which of his actions did you think were understandable exactly?

Come on, "sexual assault", are you serious? Reading signals wrong, and immediately apologizing and pulling back upon realizing hardly consitutes an unforgivable crime. Like we are all unfailable saints. That's exactly what Obama was talking about.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
So what did Obama do with the grassroots coalition that got him elected?

Homeboy and Dems had complete control of the government for two years iirc. No excuse. Obama is a half-stepper, he's always had one foot comfortably on the white ruling class's welcome mat and did not want to bother them too much.

Lol is this even a question? He bailed out the economy from a recession and passed sweeping bank regulations. What part of the white ruling class loved that?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what did Obama do with the grassroots coalition that got him elected?

Homeboy and Dems had complete control of the government for two years iirc. No excuse. Obama is a half-stepper, he's always had one foot comfortably on the white ruling class's welcome mat and did not want to bother them too much.
1 year. ted kennedy died in august only 7 months after he took office. scott brown won his seat a few months later. that left them with 59 votes in the senate. by then it was too late to pass obamacare through proper channels and they had to settle for reconciliation.

the first year was essentially wasted trying to pass the Obamacare and the $800 billion American Recovery and Reinvestment act. you could argue he couldve done more in the first year, but those were insane times. we were still losing 600k jobs a month and he had to step in to save the auto industry which couldve plunged us into depression if he hadnt bailed them out and saved tens of millions of jobs.

besides, no one couldve forseen ted kennedy dying 8 months in and then MA electing a republican senator. he basically had 1 year to do stuff and he was too busy fighting fires to do anything of lasting value. the fact that he got obamacare through somehow is an achievement of its own.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah people no longer engage with the idea because everyone's fighting over usage rules, or just doing "lol pronounciation"
That's fair. But I'd argue those people wouldn't really be engaging in meaningful discourse anyways.
The brand prevalent today destroys peaceful discourse and polarizes people to a side. Sometimes for some issues, its justified taking a hard stance. Alot of times its not.
i guess so, but I'd say the benefits of calling people out faaaar outway the negatives still.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
That's fair. But I'd argue those people wouldn't really be engaging in meaningful discourse anyways.

i guess so, but I'd say the benefits of calling people out faaaar outway the negatives still.
I don't. Internet toxicity has degraded society tremendously. And the only thing gained is that the really shitty people have gone underground to where we can't easily find them.

1 year. ted kennedy died in august only 7 months after he took office. scott brown won his seat a few months later. that left them with 59 votes in the senate. by then it was too late to pass obamacare through proper channels and they had to settle for reconciliation.

the first year was essentially wasted trying to pass the Obamacare and the $800 billion American Recovery and Reinvestment act. you could argue he couldve done more in the first year, but those were insane times. we were still losing 600k jobs a month and he had to step in to save the auto industry which couldve plunged us into depression if he hadnt bailed them out and saved tens of millions of jobs.

besides, no one couldve forseen ted kennedy dying 8 months in and then MA electing a republican senator. he basically had 1 year to do stuff and he was too busy fighting fires to do anything of lasting value. the fact that he got obamacare through somehow is an achievement of its own.

No one cares about the facts. Im pretty sure most people here would know how much Obama had to fight even in those first two years.

greenhadoken

Oct 28, 2017
Obama is so dead on the money here. If this god-forsaken presidency has taught me anything it's that nothing is black and white, and a bad deed doesn't negate a good one. Applaud for the good and criticize for the bad, but don't ignore all the good for the bad

Advance_Alarm

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Sure, I'll admit I'm guilty of that. I will also say that I disagree somewhat fundamentally with the rest his statement, not just when he said "nobodys perfect". I think he's being a bit too forgiving to people in positions of power or wealth that end up abusing those privileges. Why should we forgive people who do awful things? Why should people not publicly respond negatively to actions they find harmful or abusive?

I agree about not letting people off the hook who abuse privleges. I did not see Obama saying to do that, at least not in the 2 minute clip linked in the OP. Nor did he say not to call people out, he says that calls out are "not enough."

Not directed at you personally/only, but so many of the defensive reactions in the thread seem to not have even read or listened to what he said. They read the headline about "woke callouts" and immediately started shit-talking and trying to get clap-backs and only furthered his point.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man, Biden must have some serious skeletons we don't know about.
Also, this is exactly the sort of spineless shit that I expect from Obama.

It's actually 3.3x the median income.
The numbers that you're going to see with a quick search are always household numbers which are meaningless because of how much the number of earners in a household can vary.

Ah ha! I knew I got the wrong number. Thanks!

And the only thing gained is that the really shitty people have gone underground to where we can't easily find them.

Fucking good. We already know deplatforming works. If it's harder for us to find them, it's also harder for the general public to find them as well forcing their shitty views to stay with them.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
I
I agree about not letting people off the hook who abuse privleges. I did not see Obama saying to do that, at least not in the 2 minute clip linked in the OP. Nor did he say not to call people out, he says that calls out are "not enough."

Not directed at you personally/only, but so many of the defensive reactions in the thread seem to not have even read or listened to what he said. They read the headline about "woke callouts" and immediately started shit-talking and trying to get clap-backs and only furthered his point.
I agree with everything you're saying here and admit that I'm sort of taking what Obama's saying here to talk about more than just "call out culture". I'm definitely guilty of using this as a means to talk about a bigger issue (people abusing their power, privileges).

I don't really like what he says about call outs being "not enough". I think it's kind of uncool to say that an individual isn't doing enough when they often don't have the power to do much in the first place.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
Ah ha! I knew I got the wrong number. Thanks!

Fucking good. We already know deplatforming works. If it's harder for us to find them, it's also harder for the general public to find them as well forcing their shitty views to stay with them.

Good for you maybe. Deplatforming only works for people who had a platform to begin with. The average POS doesn't and them outing themselves on social media is among the few tools people have to identify them.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
I

I agree with everything you're saying here and admit that I'm sort of taking what Obama's saying here to talk about more than just "call out culture". I'm definitely guilty of using this as a means to talk about a bigger issue (people abusing their power, privileges).

I don't really like what he says about call outs being "not enough". I think it's kind of uncool to say that an individual isn't doing enough when they often don't have the power to do much in the first place.

There's people who don't have the means to do more and people who do but are satisfied with doing the bare minimum and feeling good about themselves.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
There's people who don't have the means to do more and people who do but are satisfied with doing the bare minimum and feeling good about themselves.
Yeah, I guess I just don't really care about those people personally. Let them think they're doing something good, it doesn't really matter.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good for you maybe. Deplatforming only works for people who had a platform to begin with. The average POS doesn't and them outing themselves on social media is among the few tools people have to identify them.

And unless they're out there spouting off their shit, it's not an issue is it?

Once a POS outs themself, then what do you think happens? They're magically locked up in some jail? Nah. They now can reach other people with similar views or convince others who don't hold those views. Or maybe they go quiet and hide because of "cancel culture"

If they never out themselves and are forced to keep quiet then they are doing no harm outside of being a shitty person with bad views and are basically doing the same thing as if they had been outed.

so again I fail to see the issue with deplatforming (because it is, a space to talk and share shitty views is still a platform) POS people.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
And unless they're out there spouting off their shit, it's not an issue is it?

Once a POS outs themself, then what do you think happens? They're magically locked up in some jail?

The often go viral and lose their jobs for one.

I don't buy the "they can't reach other people" angle. No decent person can be turned into say a racist from online discussions.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The often go viral and lose their jobs for one.

I don't buy the "they can't reach other people" angle. No decent person can be turned into say a racist from online discussions.

cool. They fucked up and lost their jobs. As it should be. If they don't ever do the thing that would cost them their job, they're effectively not adding harm into the world. So, nothing is lost or gained. Once again, deplatforming wins again.

Also you don't know enough about teenagers apparently. If someone is able to make a smart enough sounding argument they will usually listen. I would know I used to work with teens.