• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I detected no lies. Could be broadly applied to many a discussion here on Era, including some taking place at this very moment.

The unwillingness by some to read between the lines, observe nuance, and/or allow people to make mistakes and grow is a disgusting culture that needs to die in a fucking fire. You're not perfect. Neither is anyone else. What matters is the direction people are going in, not whether they can answer every question and make every decision according to your perfect head canon.
truth.

TiC

Banned
Jul 12, 2019
Ben Shapiro is a bad actor though. We shouldn't give him the benefit of the doubt because he's proven many times over to be Islamaphobic, homophobic, transphobic and has shown no intention to grow or change.
Shapiro is garbage, but Obama has killed more people than Shapiro ever will, so in a material way Obama is an even worse actor

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Shapiro is garbage, but Obama has killed more people than Shapiro ever will

Only because Shapiro will never be president. I am in no way a fan of Obama's pro-military industrial complex, there are a number of things to criticize Obama about but I still think the general concept of being more accepting and fair to people that are on your side that may say something wrong is important. It's fine to be critical or inform someone who is doing something wrong but places like twitter can be super toxic.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I detected no lies. Could be broadly applied to many a discussion here on Era, including some taking place at this very moment.

The unwillingness by some to read between the lines, observe nuance, and/or allow people to make mistakes and grow is a disgusting culture that needs to die in a fucking fire. You're not perfect. Neither is anyone else. What matters is the direction people are going in, not whether they can answer every question and make every decision according to your perfect head canon.

Preeeach.

To think people are meant to be faultless is going to cause you a lot of anxiety. Life is way more complicated and comes in way more shades of grey than black and white. Yes there are easy targets (murderers, racists, and all that whatnot) but to grab pitchforks and go off for every single bad thing about a person is aiming for an unattainable standard.

Hopewell

Jan 17, 2018
Shapiro is garbage, but Obama has killed more people than Shapiro ever will, so in a material way Obama is an even worse actor
Not according to these YouTube videos where Shapiro ANNIHILATE and DESTROY all these people.

On a serious note I think Obama's right. And I don't think there's an American President without blood on their hands. But some definitely more than others.

BanGy

Oct 25, 2017
So many unintentionally hilarious comments in this thread.
On a serious note I think Obama's right. And I don't think there's an American President without blood on their hands. But some definitely more than others.
It's literally impossible to do the job without blood on your hands.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017

Very well said.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Actually he is kinda right too in the context he is in talking about.. perhaps.. but i myself am different in a way that i know some people have flaws, but i love to call out them mostly because i am happy to see them live in miserable way

(and to all other people in general.. but this one is of course another story)

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What a shocker that a man who bombed thousands of civilians, is now asking people to not judge others.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's right.

People in this thread will say "he killed people though" as if there is a way to be a US president and not inevitably get people killed. Probably best to be like them instead and not achieve anything so as to not be responsible for such decisions or positions. That's the ticket right there. *eyeroll*

Don't @ me

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only because Shapiro will never be president. I am in no way a fan of Obama's pro-military industrial complex, there are a number of things to criticize Obama about but I still think the general concept of being more accepting and fair to people that are on your side that may say something wrong is important. It's fine to be critical or inform someone who is doing something wrong but places like twitter can be super toxic.

Obama is not on my side though. So why should i be any more accepting of his schtick than Shapiro's?

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017

This.

And examples of it can be seen in this very thread.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I don't want to name names but I'm buddies with a prominent online figure who's life was ruined by becoming famous on the internet and making a mistake in the public eye. Literal death threats, lost job opportunities, his family and friends being harrassed... He's gone now from any public eye and in no way looking to return, just trying to live is life... but now he still gets messages, and has the odd youtube video blow up about him by someone looking to score a few views and he has to message them to beg them to take him off so shit doesnt start up again. He literally lives in fear of being recognized.

Now, this is just an example, but you did ask for it. I won't give more details for obvious reasons. The saddest part is that my friend is literally the NICEST person I've ever met, and insanely caring and giving person, but one public mistake altered his whole life. Granted that mistake didn't have to do with actively hurting anyone, that's not something I'm condoning.

Now in general...I think that yes, there's an importance for calling people out. People like TJ Miller, or other fuckers who are accused of hurting people... the allegations need to be taken seriously, there's no doubt about that. There's always going to be a fuzzy line for what appropriate outrage and action is, and for too long, especially when it came to people abusing poc or women or others, the line swayed way way way too fucking far in the wrong direction. But I can't lie that I see more an more people just ready to blast someone's life apart for something redeemable and never let them live it down (to be clear, I'm not talking about like Louis CK shit). It does feel fair in some regards that it swings in that direction, at the people in positions of power and privilege, it almost feels cathartic to see it happen. But, in my opinion at least, there needs to be some room for learning and redemption. There's plenty of people who are very vocal about that not being the case,now amplify that by the exponential power of the internet... it leads to some pretty harsh punishment.

Now this is all hard to talk about in vague big picture statements, but that's really all that Obama is saying too, vague big picture statements. Without a concrete scenario, I think people are just completely kidding themselves if they think Obama of all people is going to not endorse caring and empathy as a default. It's what people loved about him and got him elected.

Buzzman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's right.

People in this thread will say "he killed people though" as if there is a way to be a US president and not inevitably get people killed. Probably best to be like them instead and not achieve anything so as to not be responsible for such decisions or positions. That's the ticket right there. *eyeroll*

Don't @ me
Do you ever listen to yourself? "You can't be a leader in our country without being mass-murderer involved in drone striking thousands of innocent civilians and propping up dictators. That's just part of the job."

Transport that mode of thinking to ANY other country in the world and you'll realize that your country is abject fucking evil.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its all situational. Calling people out when they deserve it is a good thing. With that said:

1. People do jump the gun and dont wait for evidence. Its crazy and stupid.

2. People get called out on some stupid shit fairly often and that needs to stop as well. There are absolutely people just looking to be outraged and its pathetic.

PtM

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
I don't want to name names but I'm buddies with a prominent online figure who's life was ruined by becoming famous on the internet and making a mistake in the public eye. Literal death threats, lost job opportunities, his family and friends being harrassed... He's gone now from any public eye and in no way looking to return, just trying to live is life... but now he still gets messages, and has the odd youtube video blow up about him by someone looking to score a few views and he has to message them to beg them to take him off so shit doesnt start up again. He literally lives in fear of being recognized.

Now, this is just an example, but you did ask for it. I won't give more details for obvious reasons. The saddest part is that my friend is literally the NICEST person I've ever met, and insanely caring and giving person, but one public mistake altered his whole life. Granted that mistake didn't have to do with actively hurting anyone, that's not something I'm condoning.

Now in general...I think that yes, there's an importance for calling people out. People like TJ Miller, or other fuckers who are accused of hurting people... the allegations need to be taken seriously, there's no doubt about that. There's always going to be a fuzzy line for what appropriate outrage and action is, and for too long, especially when it came to people abusing poc or women or others, the line swayed way way way too fucking far in the wrong direction. But I can't lie that I see more an more people just ready to blast someone's life apart for something redeemable and never let them live it down (to be clear, I'm not talking about like Louis CK shit). It does feel fair in some regards that it swings in that direction, at the people in positions of power and privilege, it almost feels cathartic to see it happen. But, in my opinion at least, there needs to be some room for learning and redemption. There's plenty of people who are very vocal about that not being the case,now amplify that by the exponential power of the internet... it leads to some pretty harsh punishment.

Now this is all hard to talk about in vague big picture statements, but that's really all that Obama is saying too, vague big picture statements. Without a concrete scenario, I think people are just completely kidding themselves if they think Obama of all people is going to not endorse caring and empathy as a default. It's what people loved about him and got him elected.
That's sad to read about your friend.

But I don't think this is necessarily about MeToo-style allegations, more like calling out things that are out in the open, specifically ostracism vs. reeducation, is my reading.

Last edited:

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Hostility
Do you ever listen to yourself? "You can't be a leader in our country without being mass-murderer involved in drone striking thousands of innocent civilians and propping up dictators. That's just part of the job."

Transport that mode of thinking to ANY other country in the world and you'll realize that your country is abject fucking evil.

I'm not from the US you absolute fucking moron.

Don't know why I'm responding though, you clearly can't read and just assume whatever you want, there's no meaningful discourse here.

Edit: yikes, guess we can't be mad at false news being posted about other members now. How very free and equal, thanks mods 🙄

Last edited:

Kilic95

Oct 25, 2017
Chireiden
He's right.

Don't @ me
Scrub says as he gives Obama a high five, and then smears the blood off his hand.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I mean ERA is prime example of this. I mean there a dozens of example where people actually do good stuff ( after being shitty ) and they get no chance to show redemption in here because they fucked up once. Once a shit person, for ever a shit person.
That sentiment is wrong at so many levels it's crazy.

You can do shitty things, repent and strive to be someone else. It really is possible. This is the most important thing. Not only telling people they are stupid and doing stupid things, but also telling them how to do it right. Last part is missing a lot in here.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I agree. With him. People should be considered in the light of the good and the bad they do/did. But we should never expect people to be perfect.

I'm sure even Fred Rogers sometimes lost his shit.

Oct 25, 2017

Wish this could be pinned on every damn discussion on Era.

Some of yall are lost

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Agreed, and most of the people who do this are completely unaware of their own faults.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, where does this specifically apply to someone real? With a name and a history?

Throw out an example

Brian W Foster stating that he didn't 100% identify with 100% of liberal or conservative ideologies and then being called a homophobic, mysoginistic transphobe on twitter even though he's been very vocal about his LGBTQ+ support in the past?

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i wish Obama was specific and I really wish he didn't invoke the college campus boogeyman while making this statement

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Andrew Yang being literally called fascist on PoliEra because some people on 4chan also like his policies? The list goes on and on.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Andrew Yang being literally called fascist on PoliEra because some people on 4chan also like his policies? The list goes on and on.

What about everyone having a go at the director for The Joker because he said something about woke culture? Everyone was saying that the movie would inspire an alt right uprising but then the movie came out and it turned out that didn't happen.

Sometimes I try to imagine if certain people were at a party and how would they react if they heard a crude joke at 1am made by some drunk attendee. Would they just scream "**** out of here with that ****" and cause a scene? Would they chase them from room to room demanding that they explain themselves yet refuse to hear their response? Would they immediately equate the drunk with the nastiest of individuals?

What about Joe Rogan? Everyone seems to detest him here so I checked his Wikipedia page and couldn't find a "controversy" tab. In fact he seems to have pretty progressive view like supporting same sex marriage.

Last edited:

Deleted member 55795

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 9, 2019

Yes, leading your countries Armed forces comes with the job.

And that comes with the judgement call to order drone strikes and send armed personnel into war zones. Sorry but that's reality of the position. Someone needs to make these decisions which is why we hold elections and put people into office.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, leading your countries Armed forces comes with the job.

And that comes with the judgement call to order drone strikes and send armed personnel into war zones. Sorry but that's reality of the position. Someone needs to make these decisions which is why we hold elections and put people into office.
You talk as if those were the only two alternatives. Shows how normalized American imperialism has become in the American psyche. Not killing people in foreign countries either by means of ground forces or drone strikes is also an alternative.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So like. All y'all agreeing with him...

Who have we actually "cancelled" because of a "mistake" or a "wrong verb"? Lemme know, 'cause this entire thread has no damn examples, yet a tonne of people trying to jump on the Obama Train for this take.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Eh. If you see it as whining that's on you. As I said I can totally understand why a native American may take umbrage with someone using parts of their culture in a memey internet way. At the same time I think there a many misfires when it comes to calling out cultural appropriation and this comes off as one of them.

It was a polite conversation with the person taken note politely.

To which you decried #wokeness!

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, but I do wonder how many people are actually like that and how much is simply the impression one gets from reading a bunch of comments from different people? Like, if you read the entire post history of one person, how many would fall in this "holier-than-thou" category on every topic?

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017

Who have we actually "cancelled" because of a "mistake" or a "wrong verb"? Lemme know, 'cause this entire thread has no damn examples, yet a tonne of people trying to jump on the Obama Train for this take.
There are examples in the few posts right before yours.

Gibbo

The Fallen
Nov 20, 2017

Really good post and very applicable to this forum. This place has been quite frustrating to read as of late. Take the hong kong protest thread for example. You can't have the view that you support the cause which they are protesting for, but disagree with some of the protestors methods. It's all of nothing With quite alot of the posters here

Oct 25, 2017

It's the same Ellen bullshit. The elite have a class solidarity that we'll never have. Instead they work to to promote this tired "cancel culture" narrative implying that we're consuming our own and we should "be better." Let's all say it together. Cancel. Culture. Doesn't. Exist.