• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Your opinion on Obama-Biden Fanfic?

• It’s Cool

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • It’s Ok

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • What?

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • I don’t know

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Cringe

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Maybe?

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

TheAndyMan

Banned
Feb 11, 2019
Utah
Parodist Andrew Shaffer has just added a new entry to his enjoyably ludicrous Obama-Biden series, which launched last year with Hope Never Dies and features the duo solving mysteries together. The second entry, published in July, is called, you guessed it, Hope Rides Again. Indie director Adam Reid's gonzo graphic confection, The Adventures of Barry & Joe, which styles Obama and Biden as time-traveling superheroes, was released this past spring. It is here to, if not to save the day, then at least demonstrate the life-changing magic of putting our heads under the covers and pretending it's 2015.

Now, to Uncle Joe. Hope Never Dies (Quirk Books), the first of the Shaffer mysteries—Hardy Boys-style with a YA version of the Dashiell Hammett narrative voice, but goofy—was released before Biden had announced his presidential bid; the second, Hope Rides Again, came out not long afterward. Like many an Obaman, Shaffer's Biden opens the first novel frozen in time, just after the 2016 election, gorging on Ben & Jerry's. This bothers Jill, Joe's wife. In both Shaffer novels, Joe and Jill (and Barack and Michelle) are comparable to lovable, forgettable CBS sitcom duos of a decade ago: Everybody Loves Raymond, King of Queens. The dude is a charming galoot; the wife has his number.

But the real One True Pairing here—let's not kid ourselves—is gonna involve Barack, whose communiqués Joe initially awaits like a schoolgirl scorned. "After Jill was sound asleep, I scrolled through old text messages Barack and I had exchanged a lifetime ago," Shaffer writes. "It was an exercise in futility. If I kept picking at the wound, it was never going to heal."
Joe encounters thugs, a grenade, near-disaster on an airplane. And he and Barack do, it's true, end up, "huddled together, arms twisted like a couple of pretzels"—but they're in a hole the size of a washing machine in the hull of a ship. By the time the police helicopter arrives for them, unfurling its rope ladder, they've finished off the bad guys and are ready to fly away, like Obama leaving the White House on January 20, 2017. Sniff.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
M1fmEJT.png