• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
This was a policy at the private catholic school I went to, but it wasn't really enforced. Well at least I hadn't seen it be enforced. It was probably contingent on the parents of the person who was rejected to complain about it, which I can't see anyone in their right mind doing...

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yup, teaching boys not to accept no for an answer is exactly what we should be doing.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is mindboggling to me. I taught 6th grade for a little while and the school dance was basically just the kids running around in the gym while music played. It was like recess.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
"This is to prevent feelings getting hurt"

*Girl's feelings get hurt*

"Well, uh, that was different"

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
As a kid who had extreme image issues and being told no from every girl in class for our forced dance classes because I was fat and had dandruff and spent most of my teens with suicidal thoughts and confidence issues I say this is ok. The reverse is ban the dances altogether because in the end someone gets hurt.

I guess it's a little different because for us it was mandatory dance classes like once a week in PE and I think mens mental health is something that is overlooked a lot and it starts in school. Breaking down and crying and been told to 'behave' and stop acting silly by teachers when I was only 8 and constantly rejected by my peers.
Moral of this story is school is fucking torture for everyone.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a kid who had extreme image issues and being told no from every girl in class for our forced dance classes because I was fat and had dandruff and spent most of my teens with suicidal thoughts and confidence issues I say this is ok. The reverse is ban the dances altogether because in the end someone gets hurt.

I guess it's a little different because for us it was mandatory dance classes like once a week in PE and I think mens mental health is something that is overlooked a lot and it starts in school. Breaking down and crying and been told to 'behave' and stop acting silly by teachers when I was only 8 and constantly rejected by my peers.
You think forcing girls to dance with you while they shot death glares at you would have been part of the solution?

I can see the PE teacher assigning students to dance together for a class. But definitely a big no for dance events.

Order

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now think about the little girls who just want to go have a good time being forced to dance with creepy kids.

is that still ok?

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA

Now take those feelings and apply it to the girls.

I'm not downplaying your experience. It's awful to be in that situation, but the solution isn't to make even more awful situations.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I thought this was a bump of the old thread. Is that school STILL doing this?

wait... MULTIPLE SCHOOLS IN UTAH have this same stupid school dance policy?

The towns are less than 100 miles apart too. I don't know Utah that well, but maybe they're in the same county?

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
You think forcing girls to dance with you while they shot death glares at you would have been part of the solution?

I can see the PE teacher assigning students to dance together for a class. But definitely a big no for dance events.
I don't think putting kids in situations that can completely destroy their morale and self worth is a smart thing to do in the first place. If it can't be divorced from equating it to something sexual or physically romatic where you only want to dance with people you find attractive then even doubly so it doesn't belong in a school enviroment.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think putting kids in situations that can completely destroy their morale and self worth is a smart thing to do in the first place. If it can't be divorced from equating it to something sexual or physically romatic where you only want to dance with people you find attractive then even doubly so it doesn't belong in a school enviroment.
I don't disagree with you, actually.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Women should be taught it's okay to say no to someone, and men should be taught it's okay to be told no. That's all there is to it.

You clearly needed help and guidance back then. But, that's not on your classmates (short of them being fucking assholes, which I have no doubt some were). The problem wasn't girls telling you no. The problem was that you didn't know how to cope with that. And that's not to blame you for your problems, again, you needed help. But, the young women in your class were not, and should not be, tools used to help fix you.

I assure you that forcing some girl who was going to glare at you the whole time and then walk away and talk shit about you to everyone wasn't going to help your self-esteem and coping skills.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not downplaying your experience. It's awful to be in that situation, but the solution isn't to make even more awful situations.

As someone who was the kid who was told no by everyone, I agree that not allowing girls to say no is an awful solution to this problem.

But, the young women in your class were not, and should not be, tools used to help fix you.

So much this. Women already have so much emotional labor placed on them. They don't need all this shit to start at 6th grade.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Can't say no if a boy or girl wants to put their hands on you to dance. What if someone is molested while dancing and they try to leave?

This makes me want to punch the principal in the face with everything I have.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Or how about teaching kids about real life concepts like consent and rejection, which are kind of essential to understand if you want to be a functioning person when you grow up.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
This everybody deserves to win or be included no matter what bullshit that gets taught to kids today is frightening. This is basically the participation trophy world kids live in now, gone horribly wrong.

This is why so many young adults today can't deal with real life when they get out of school.

Juna

Nov 26, 2017
What kind of self esteem do they think they're building. The kids know perfectly well that the girls don't want them. But the school forced them.
The whole things breaks down like a house of cards if you only apply a bit of thought into it. Even if you don't care about the girls at all.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Their good intentions completely neglect the reality that (a) girls should always have the right to say no in such a situation and (b) boys need to taught consent and to process rejection in a healthy way.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
My parents always hammered it into me that if any girl ever asked me to dance, that it's very rude and mean not to even if you didn't like her so I always did.

Formalizing this as school policy, though, at a middle school dance isn't right and I think sets the wrong idea.

But also... like... daytime dances....... Utah man.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Creepy as fuck. Certainly teaching a valuable life lesson here that you won't get rejected in the real world at all. Ever.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
no
I've got two lil boys who started learning very early on that no means no. Can't imagine a stupid school's stupid policy having any hand in undoing that. Fuck them.

I get what they're trying to do, but it's unacceptable, and I'm also not sure what good it does a kid eventually finding out the person you like danced with you because they were forced to. It's just gross all around.

Juna

Nov 26, 2017
My parents always hammered it into me that if any girl ever asked me to dance, that it's very rude and mean not to even if you didn't like her so I always did.

Formalizing this as school policy, though, at a middle school dance isn't right and I think sets the wrong idea.

But also... like... daytime dances....... Utah man.
Naw your parents were wrong too about that. Boys have the same right to say no that girls do. Politeness means the ability to reject people and accept rejections gracefully.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Naw your parents were wrong too about that. Boys have the same right to say no that girls do. Politeness means the ability to reject people and accept rejections gracefully.

I wasn't saying they were right, and yeah, I won't raise my daughter that way. I think we've taken things that were considered the "polite thing to do" (whether wrong or right) like everybody getting a valentine on valentine's day, and formalized them into policy.

But of course, this is also Utah, and I should remember it's definitely not the norm.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
(Ballroom style pair) Dance shouldn't even be a unit in gym. Nobody likes it and it doesn't apply to how people dance in the real world.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017

source.gif

Hi Kip.

Nov 17, 2017
Maybe the school just shouldnt do dances for 11 year olds during the school day.

Or is 11 the right age to make the unpopular kids very very aware of that fact in a public and embarrassing way? Ya gotta assume the impetus was to keep kids from being crushed having everyone say no. Dumb "solution" though, that's for sure.

0f9bb4b1-c6f2-4d19-be82-f963db36f503.jpg

I wonder how many other schools have this policy...
I swear I heard a similar story last year or something.

Edit: Oh and see in this thread there was an old thread about this

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I wasn't saying they were right, and yeah, I won't raise my daughter that way. I think we've taken things that were considered the "polite thing to do" (whether wrong or right) like everybody getting a valentine on valentine's day, and formalized them into policy.

But of course, this is also Utah, and I should remember it's definitely not the norm.
Yeah, there's a line there to be sure.

I don't think this is a good policy, but I think many kids and even adults could stand to understand a little more about courtesy and kindness. I'm not saying that in cases of actual uncomfortableness, bullying, negativity, or any other forms of abuse should you be FORCED to do something or even obliged to, but at the same time, you don't have to just be a cold, heartless person when it's just something casual and harmless. I get it though, most men are pretty entitled and even showing a bit of courtesy is often taken as some sort of unwritten contract or something and that's just messed up too.

Nobody is owed anything, let me be clear, but we could all learn to be a little less heartless from time-to-time on an entirely voluntary level of our own conscious choosing. The other side of that coin though is of course that we shouldn't expect to be owed anything in return and somebody being nice to you doesn't give you carte blanche to do whatever the hell you want either.

TL;DR: Just don't be shitty people all around.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You see? Whenever I think a Democrat is going to win the Presidential Election, I read stories like this and remember that I don't understand the vast majority of this country nor would I ever purposefully associate with them. This policy is completely unethical and ass-backwards. Even the most basic of people should see why it's wrong.

We are a nation of imbeciles.

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Did the teachers just leave you to dance alone? Seen weird if the classes were forced to just leave kids without a partner.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spqcejaws post is the most frightening one here. It just shows how mental health here isn't taken anywhere even close to as seriously as it should and this country just wants to sweep everything under the rug.

You weren't the most attractive and had suicidal thoughts, how does forcing someone against their will help anyone? That dance isn't going to take you out of depression and it'll probably push your victim towards it.

Friendly reminder to anyone who needs it, women aren't free therapists.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder if this would change at all if dance partners were assigned by the teacher.