• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Alicia Hobson's 11-year-old daughter, Azlyn, was counting down the days until the Valentine's Day dance at her Utah middle school.

"She was so excited she could barely sleep," Hobson told TODAY Parents, noting that the sixth grader picked out her outfit a week ahead of time.

"It was supposed to be the best day ever," Hobson, 37, said.

But it wasn't.

That afternoon, when Azlyn got home, she had an "emotional explosion" in the kitchen, while recounting how a boy who makes her uncomfortable had asked her to dance.

"She politely said, 'No thank you,'" Hobson revealed. The problem? At Rich Middle School in Laketown, Utah, it's against the rules to say "no," and principal Kip Motta allegedly intervened when he heard Azlyn decline the invitation at the dance.

"He said something like, 'No, no. You kids go out and dance,'" Hobson revealed. "He basically shooed Azlyn and the boy off onto the dance floor."

Azlyn told her mother she "hated every minute" and was "so relieved" when the song finally ended.

Motta and Rich School District Superintendent Dale Lamborn did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment. But Motta stood by the school's policy in a letter to Hobson.

"We do ask all students to dance. It is the nice thing to do and this will continue to be our policy," Motta wrote on Feb. 15. "There have been similar situations in the past where some students have felt uncomfortable with others, and, as stated prior, the issues were discreetly handled. This allowed all students to feel welcome, comfortable, safe, and included."

Motta added that Hobson always has the option to check Azlyn out of school during dances, which are held in the daytime.

www.today.com

School policy forbids kids from saying 'no' when asked to dance

One mom is fighting back on behalf of her 11-year-old daughter.

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe the school just shouldnt do dances for 11 year olds during the school day.

Or is 11 the right age to make the unpopular kids very very aware of that fact in a public and embarrassing way? Ya gotta assume the impetus was to keep kids from being crushed having everyone say no. Dumb "solution" though, that's for sure.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Next time say "negative" or "never".

Or maybe run away or ignore the person.

I dunno. There has to be a loophole.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are only preparing these girls for the inevitable future, we should thank them!

/s

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
That's a weird and inappropriate policy. I get the spirit behind it but that should never be enforced. Totally tone deaf written policy

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great instead of teaching boys about consent they are just teaching them that they can have whatever they want if they just take it. Great lesson your teaching them. 🤮🤮

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
I sort of get what they think they're trying to do - ensure a kid doesn't get humiliated by having people reject them - but it's completely unworkable and open to cause even more humiliation. A bully asks their victim to dance and the victim can't say no? Come on now school board/principal/whoever made this call, think this shit through, it's so open to abuse. Disregarding one person's in favour of another is just ridiculous, especially when it comes to things like dancing, effectively forcing them into contact with someone they don't want to be around. That's fucked up.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
Yeahhh, this policy isn't going to last for them now that it's getting reported on.

Idiots

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
How in the hell the morons didn't see how fucked up this is and how bad this would look ?

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember school dances, A. had parental chaperones in addition to faculty/admin, and B. didn't actually start until middle school.

I feel both old and like I went to public school on a different planet.

11?

Fucking seriously?

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Complete lack of consent is what every developing young boy needs in today's society /s

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Now if a boy asked another boy to dance, they would've shut that down with the quickness

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
This kind of thing sets a terrible precedent for consent. Kids should absolutely be able to say no to something like that.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
We have been through this before

www.resetera.com

Kids at one Utah Elementary must say yes if another kid asks to dance

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/nation-world/national/article199747849.html#fmp As a parent there is no way that this would be okay. It’s like they took inclusiveness to a whole other level [Mod edit: title changed for accuracy, original title (grabbed from link) was: "Girls at one Utah...
I thought this was a bump of the old thread. Is that school STILL doing this?

Kanesville Elementary dance in West Haven, Utah

At Rich Middle School in Laketown, Utah

wait... MULTIPLE SCHOOLS IN UTAH have this same stupid school dance policy?

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017

www.resetera.com

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/nation-world/national/article199747849.html#fmp As a parent there is no way that this would be okay. It’s like they took inclusiveness to a whole other level [Mod edit: title changed for accuracy, original title (grabbed from link) was: "Girls at one Utah...

[

Yeah, I thought this sounded familiar....

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
Its amazing how wrong school policy can get when teaching children life lessons.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017

www.resetera.com

[
I was just thinking that i've heard this before.

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
What's wrong with them to force kids to do stuff? My 11 year old self would have started screaming in a similar situation... This is so wrong...

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Probably from the same adults that think that a grown man asking children sexual questions behind closed doors is okay.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I'm assuming this obviously applies if the roles are reversed but in this day and age what a stupid message to send to boys. You should get what you ask for and if a girl turns you down get a big white guy to force her to do what you want no matter how uncomfortable it makes her feel.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I see what they're doing here, but...no. No, it's dumb. Because see, when you get out into the real world you're going to get rejected. A lot. So you might as well get used to it young.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
So some cyber bully or asshole harasser can make anyone dance and the teacher will side with them if they don't know what's happening amongst the kids

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
"It is the nice thing to do."

I don't know what exactly it is about this that pisses me off so much, but it pisses me off so much.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
What is it with Utah Schools making little girls dance against their will:

www.resetera.com

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017

www.resetera.com

[
I thought the headline seemed familiar.