• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
From NZ Herald:

A World War II heroine who used her harmless appearance to gain the trust of Nazis before executing them has died in The Netherlands, aged 92.

Freddie Oversteegen was born in Haarlem, near Amsterdam on September 6, 1925 and raised by her communist mother.

She was just 14 when she joined the Dutch resistance, the Daily Mail reports.

Together with her older sister Truus and their friend Hannie Schaft, she blew up bridges and railway tracks with dynamite, smuggled Jewish children out of concentration camps and executed as many Nazis as she could, using a firearm hidden in the basket of her bike.

The trio had a routine: first approach the Nazi men in bars, and, having successfully seduced them, ask if they wanted to 'go for a stroll' in the forest, where, as Freddie herself put it, they would be 'liquidated'.

"We had to do it," she told one interviewer. "It was a necessary evil, killing those who betrayed the good people." When asked how many people she had killed or helped kill, she demurred: "One should not ask a soldier any of that."

Freddie died on September 5 - one day before her 93rd birthday. She was the last surviving member of the Netherlands' most famous female resistance cell, who dedicated their lives to fighting Nazi occupiers and Dutch "traitors" just outside Amsterdam.

72ASGL6KIRGVLCM2BCERWKOJEA.jpg

Rest in peace to a great woman, who knew the truth that the only good nazi is a dead nazi.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was an inspiration for Anya in Wolfenstein right? What a legend.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
True hero... It takes some immense courage to do what she and her resistance cell did.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What a hero and honestly her conviction to what is moral is definitely an inspiration.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is literally one of the coolest things I've read. She sounds awesome. They should make a movie about this.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
What an amazing lady, she stood proudly among the likes of Nancy Wake, Anne Margreth Strømsheim, Simone Segouin, Natalia Peshkova, Pearl Witherington, Virginia Hall and many other women who took down Nazism piece by piece. May her legend live on.

jp319

Oct 27, 2017
I want a Netflix series about this hero now. And I want every bitchy white supremacist manbaby on earth in total agony over it.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
She killed all of those men? But but shouldn't she have tried to reach across the table to these Nazis first or tried to understand their perspective? /s

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
She killed all of those men? But but shouldn't she have tried to reach across the table to these Nazis first or tried to understand their perspective? /s
Lol She understood their perspective just fine, and it's the reason why the brave soldier did what she had to do. Why needed a biopic about her like yesterday. RIP to an amazing woman and human being.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been totally in awe of this story ever since I first heard it years and years ago. What a legend.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I remember reading all these stupid YouTube comments (yeah yeah that was my first mistake) after Battlefield 5 was shown and all these dirtbags came out of nowhere saying "Women did not fight or do anything in WW2" and the most ridiculous thing "Women fighting is propaganda". Watching them stew in their own ignorance was an absolute delight. These women were more fearless than most people nowadays, especially knowing what was at stake. The French Resistance, the SOE, The Warsaw Uprising, The Italian Resistance and many more had thousands of willing female fighters, many of which were honored for their sacrifice. My other favorite stupid comment was "They were a minority". So? We should not throw the pot out with the soup. Keyboard warriors are hilarious.