• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
You might think that TV's most famous painter sold the paintings he made. Some of them were donated to local PBS stations for their auctions. In fact, many of them are stored in cardboard boxes in a large Virginia warehouse. They are owned by Bob Ross Inc., operated by his former producers the Kowalskis. After his death, they were left with full ownership of the company along with his originals.

There is also an accompanying article: Bob Ross Painting Mystery

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd buy a Bob Ross. Not for a lot of money, but if the price were right it's a great conversation piece.

It could really tie the room together.

OP
OP
Wulfric

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Can you imagine how much money those could make? People would throw money at those things.

The NYT article had some info on this. With so many imitations and fakes, the seller really needs rock-solid provenance behind the piece.

How much does one cost?

In the rare cases when a Bob Ross painting does surface, it depends who is buying. Joan Kowalski, president of Bob Ross Inc., said she has seen authentic Ross paintings sell online for $8,000 to $10,000 in recent years.
After we set out on our quest, a three-panel painting described as a "Bob Ross Original Oil Painting Triptych Mountain Landscape" surfaced on eBay. It is listed at $55,000:

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
I want someone to count how many happy clouds in total have been painted across all his work.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Watch the episode with Ben Stahl to see the difference between a great artist and a fraud like Ross
he wasn't a fraud because he was not nearly pretentious enough to claim to be a "great artist." he was an entertainer and a hobby instructor, your potshots at him as an "artist" are pedestrian

Edit: added quotes around "artist" for clarity

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
I watched this a few days ago with my wife. I think they should sell off a select handful to fund a foundation and museum/gallery that can then be used to fund philanthropic arts education programs.

He's quite possibly the most famous and well known American painter amongst the average person in the country.

I asked my 13 year old nephew about his knowledge of Ross, Warhol, Pollock and Rockwell. The only one he knew anything about was Ross. He'd heard of Warhol but didn't know what works are his, no clue about Pollock and Rockwell.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The hot takes are terrible here

Bob never passed himself off as a great painter or a talent. His show is called the joy of painting

He.loves to paint and opened the craft to many others

If your first reaction is to shit on him, don't post.

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
User Banned (1 Day): Trolling Over a Series of Posts
I'm not a hater, just calling a spade a spade.

Also, wasn't he a Full Metal Jacket type drill sergeant before he began talking like a child and putting little animals on his shoulder?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I always like seeing familiar storage solutions. Acid free and buffered materials are for snobs, he says watching everything deteriorate around him

It's a little odd to me that they haven't capitalized more on it, simply producing licensed painting supplies seems like a limited approach and one that isn't fully in tune with his messaging. Given the way that wine and paint classes have exploded in recent years it seems like perhaps a missed opportunity to not establish a more public facing outlet, but perhaps the recent rebirth of interest in him will help provide the funding necessary for such a move forward.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

"Traditionally, art has been for the select few," Ross said. "We have been brainwashed to believe that Michaelangelo had to pat you on the head at birth. Well, we show people that anybody can paint a picture that they're proud of. It may never hang in the Smithsonian, but it will certainly be something that they'll hang in their home and be proud of. And that's what it's all about."

-Bob Ross

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

Also, wasn't he a Full Metal Jacket type drill sergeant before he began talking like a child and putting little animals on his shoulder?
What does that have to do with the quality of his work? Calling his stuff shit is just factually wrong.

Oct 29, 2017
"Traditionally, art has been for the select few," Ross said. "We have been brainwashed to believe that Michaelangelo had to pat you on the head at birth. Well, we show people that anybody can paint a picture that they're proud of. It may never hang in the Smithsonian, but it will certainly be something that they'll hang in their home and be proud of. And that's what it's all about."

-Bob Ross

Yep. I studied art and art history for years, and I greatly respect Bob Ross' perspective and accomplishments in spreading the...well, joy of painting.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Bob Ross was about making painting simple. He may have been a simple artist, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a great one. Besides painting was his second art, his first art was making people happy and making them believe in themselves. It just so happened to reflect onto his first art.

And that alone makes his art great and worth many monies.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Bob Ross was about making painting simple. He may have been a simple artist, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a great one. Besides painting was his second art, his first art was making people happy and making them believe in themselves. It just so happened to reflect onto his first art.

And that alone makes his art great and worth many monies.
That was deep. And I'm not being sarcastic. Well said.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Watch the episode with Ben Stahl to see the difference between a great artist and a fraud like Ross

He had a good understanding of the concepts of painting and had the essentials of the craft down pat. He was not a shitty painter.

No he wasn't and not only are you hating, you don't even have a solid grasp of what you're hating on.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I always heard the paintings were sold for charities.

It sounds like a number of them were, including for PBS fundraisers and the like, but considering he painted in triplicate for each episode (as mentioned at the start of the article) and there are about 400 episodes, and not counting things like live demonstrations at mall appearances and such... that's a lot of paintings to account for.

Dec 22, 2017
I never thought i'd actually see a Bob Ross hater. But here we are.

My father was an artist and hated Bob Ross. Said he only painted made up scenes and doubted that he could replicate an actual landscape in person or from a photo.

There are probably chefs who criticized Julia Child too. I think it's an issue of not wanting their art/craft/whatever "dumbed down" for the general public.

NOTE: I do not share this opinion at all, just saying that the haters are indeed out there lol. I love what public television has exposed people to, and I think Bob Ross is a national treasure.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Wait, people are hating on Bob Ross? Jesus man, this place. Lets also hate on Richard Simmons, he wasn't a real hardcore fitness instructor. Or Mr. Rogers... stupid fake teacher. Most of these kinda "fakes" are the ones that open up the masses the most to their craft. They instill more love and interest in what they do than all the pretentious "real artist" put together.

Oct 25, 2017
It's art, people. If someone thinks it's shitty that's just as valid as someone thinking it's great.

That said, Bob Ross was the man.