• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I think he's really shot himself in the foot with atempting a coup. No way anyone will let anything slide. Dems and some Reps want to see this guy behind bars.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
How is this even a possibility? It's like the US allows their president to act like a king. That is not democracy.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this somehow works, all Biden has to do is get some people to act as if Trump wasn't pardoned, hold a trial, and mete out whatever imprisonment is determined by the court.

Is that illegal? No problem. Biden can simply pardon himself and the others involved.

This is a joke, to be clear. Unless...

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
How is this even a possibility? It's like the US allows their president to act like a king. That is not democracy.

Republicans have to play every move like a sleazy political chess game to keep their fragile and volatile base from canceling them and supporting a different (R). So there's a lot of placation, dodging questions, and thoughts like oh nothing like that will happen. It's finally blown up to epic proportions.

Oct 31, 2017
If this somehow works, all Biden has to do is get some people to act as if Trump wasn't pardoned, hold a trial, and mete out whatever imprisonment is determined by the court.

Is that illegal? No problem. Biden can simply pardon himself and the others involved.

This is a joke, to be clear. Unless...

Yeah I don't think it's a precedent that even this supreme court would want to set.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Ironically I feel like a self-pardon would make him more likely to be charged with something than just fucking off quietly. Nobody wants that precedent to be set.

Oct 25, 2017
Republicans have to play every move like a sleazy political chess game to keep their fragile and volatile base from canceling them and supporting a different (R). So there's a lot of placation, dodging questions, and thoughts like oh nothing like that will happen. It's finally blown up to epic proportions.
This. The party has no shot in high level office positions by playing fair game. 2024 is gonna be a shit show

data

Oct 25, 2017
Impeach the fucker. GOP party has been running completely rampant without the rules. It's time.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Can someone explain what this would entail?
So like, from my understanding this would absolve him of various nondescript "Crimes" he may or may not have committed as president/during the presidency, right? And states like NY, etc would still be able to nail him on state crimes?

Or does this just blanket cover everything?

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
So like, from my understanding this would absolve him of various nondescript "Crimes" he may or may not have committed as president/during the presidency, right? And states like NY, etc would still be able to nail him on state crimes?

Pardons only cover federal crimes. State level is another world and he is still hopefully fucked there.

Oct 27, 2017
In Trump's warped mind he is justified in doing this because everyone is out to get him and the burden will be on them so may as well make it as hard as possible. He doesn't think he has done anything wrong and so he doesn't understand that if he does this any last political support (meaningful anyway) will abandon him even harder than they already have. Victimisation is the most prominent pillar of narcissism. We should actually hope he tries this tbh.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017

It's not an absolution, a pardon simply forgives the crime, so no punishment is given. The conviction still occurs, and is on the subject's permanent record.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
After today he'd be challenged to hell and back, it'd be overturned and be used to say he's lost the right to plead the 5th

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
It's not an absolution, a pardon simply forgives the crime, so no punishment is given. The conviction still occurs, and is on the subject's permanent record.

It's highly unlikely that there will be any attempted prosecution of someone who has been pre-pardoned for the crime. That may happen for Trump because of the open question about self-pardons but when he pardons his kids that will be the end of federal prosecution of them up to the date of the pardon.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
If he makes it to the 20th this will definitely happen. I have no faith that the 25th will be used just seems the latest of false hopes the left is clinging to. Impeachment and barring him from running for federal office is more likely as my understanding is that requires just a majority of votes. No idea how long that would take and I doubt removal will happen at all because of the senate. My money is that he is going to do it and it will be tested in court. It would be a terrible precedent for a president to be able to make themselves above the law, so i hope the courts rips the idea to shreds.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
We've known this for months. It's uncharted legal territory, and I've said, it would throw one more wrench into any prosecutions. He can use it to help run out the clock, just like he did with his tax returns.

One more reason to remove him, and quickly. No more pardons, of himself or anyone else.

Iamcenok

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the argument you could have to say that he does have the power to do this.

How can you be your own judge and juror?
To have such power would signify you are above the law absolute*

*States rights notwithstanding.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Can you pardon someone who isn't actually convicted of anything yet? I suppose as a non-American I might not quite understand how pardons work, but I would imagine it's not a carte blanche but instead tied to a specific charge?

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
A self-pardon couldn't possibly hold up in court.

You would think so, but who knows with the Supreme Court. It is accepted that one cannot be the judge in his or her own trial and also you get into the situation that if Trump can pardon himself it would mean the President is officially above the law and more akin to a monarch.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017

It's just one more part of the Constitution that isn't worded explicitly. It says the president can pardon people. It doesn't list exceptions. It doesn't go into detail.

Any judge with a functioning brain and knowledge of history would rule against it. I mean, the founders were specifically trying to construct a system where the president is NOT an "elected king".

But we've seen before: conservative judges will rule on intent one time, and on unspecific language another time. And many conservatives love the idea of an untouchable executive.

We'll see. It would be nice if an effect of all this would be a limit on pardons (no family, no admin personnel) and also throw out the Justice Dept's stupid "can't touch the president" rule.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Can you pardon someone who isn't actually convicted of anything yet? I suppose as a non-American I might not quite understand how pardons work, but I would imagine it's not a carte blanche but instead tied to a specific charge?
Yes, he can. It is pretty much carte blanche and can be used that to pardon even potential crimes where there aren't even any charges yet.

Now, whether or is an admission of guilt to accept that kind of pardon is still unclear, but he can totally do that.

The pardon power, however, cannot be used in matters relating to impeachment, so that's one reason they should get on that.

Raiku

Oct 25, 2017
California, USHeyHey!
DependableGreenKoi-max-1mb.gif

Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't the same guidance that says a sitting POTUS can't be prosecuted also say that they cannot pardon themselves?

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
The US allows the incumbent President so much power, that they're effectively kings for four years. It's incredibly undemocratic.

The only reason this hasn't come into play since Nixon is that most Presidents are good at saying the quiet part quietly.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
A self-pardon has to be the most anti-Democratic, anti-Judicial act I can think of.

So yes, Trump will do it. Absolutely. He may have done it already for all we know.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
My hunch is that a self-pardon will be found illegal in Court.

It's just blatantly against the spirit of the Constitution.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
The very idea of pardoning yourself for crimes being legal is the most ridiculous human idea in the world.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
He would have to admit he committed crimes in order to pardon himself.

He hasn't even been charged with anything yet.

He might actually be setting himself up for jail time if he admits he committed crimes and then the court throws out his pardon.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
He would have to admit he committed crimes in order to pardon himself.

He hasn't even been charged with anything yet.

He might actually be setting himself up for jail time if he admits he committed crimes and then the court throws out his pardon.

Yeah, this is probably how it would play out... and most of his crimes probably have a state crime component.

He'd probably do a blanket pardon, but that similarly needs to be tested in court.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot where I read it, but by pardoning yourself, does that not mean you are also admitting you did something bad in the first place? Lol.