• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Makes me wonder if he's planning even crazier shit for the next two weeks, and then finish it off with a pardon.

Can a presidential pardon be undone by another president?

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
But according to him he hasn't done anything wrong so there shouldn't be a need for a pardon right? šŸ˜‰
Here's hoping Pence pulls a Claire and ignore his ass until the inauguration.

mernst23

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
If he issues a slew of blanket pardons, 6 to 3majority or not,, the Supreme court is going to put an end to it real fast. So, fuck around and find out?

ivantod

Oct 27, 2017
It's basically a race against time at this point, if they will manage to remove him before he pardons himself and everybody else.

Although, even if the removal happens, I'm sure he'll have at least some forewarning, so not sure what's stopping from just doing in then in the last hours before it's made official.

To be honest the prospect of mass pardons for himself and his cronies is the one thing that annoys me the most and unfortunately I know that there is 99% chance it won't be possble to stop it, or do anything about it even afterwards.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I think it would be hilarious if he did it, and then it was determined not to be a legit pardon and he got wrecked afterward.

He'd be better off just resigning on the 19th or 20th and having Pence pardon him instead.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Good. Do it so we can make certain that the action of pardoning oneself is unconstitutional and will never hold up in a court of law.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Imagine the mental gymnastics that any shameless Trump supporters will do to defend a president pardoning himself, his family, and his scumbag lawyer. If he does it, I hope they are empty, powerless words. I want it to be his final, weak cry. Scumbag shit.
hes trying to save himself from the unfair and very mean democrats that will make up crimes to come after him. hes only doing this because he has to!

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm actually surprised he's "discussing" this at all and not just doing it immediately.

The guy just staged a coup. Why in the hell is he weighing the legality of him pardoning himself?

I do wonder if he has done all his pardons already and they just get revealed at whatever time they choose or something. It would be a bit risky to not do them and you get removed from office, incapacitated or die.

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
You can retroactively pardon yourself from future convictions?

edit: Preemptively, I meant.
Yes.

This would also imply that you are guilty, and basically asking the next AG to investigate you. Which would inevitably come before the Supreme Court whether self-pardons are constitutional.

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
Please do it.
Even if he escapes prosecution (which is quite likely anyway), this would set a critical precedent, where each current Supreme Court member would have to vote.. on public display.

Unfortunately, he still have the much savvier option of just granting pardons to his cronies, and then accept to renounce, in condition of being cleaned by Pence.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I think Pence is too gutless to invoke the 25th. He saw how the cult was acting yesterday.
I think you are right. But at the same time I hope he realizes that his life was very literally put in danger by Trump himself. He would have not even blinked an eye if those terrorists strung up Pence in the Senate chamber.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

This would also imply that you are guilty, and basically asking the next AG to investigate you. Which would inevitably come before the Supreme Court whether self-pardons are constitutional.

Which will be an interesting case to follow. Aside from ACB who is just flat out unqualified, most conservative justices are fairly strict constitutionalists. If the founders had wanted the president to be able to pardon himself they'd have made it explicitly clear he could. I doubt any court wants to be the one that says that the president can simply pardon himself whenever he gets into hot water.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
I think Trump has already made the decision to pardon himself and family but will wait until the week of or day before 20th so that there is no time for a potential impeachment or removal from office.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
The scary thing is that once he does this, and he will because he's Trump, that's a Rubicon crossed. No president going forward is going to limit their own expanded power; the presidency just moves on within those expanded bounds as it has in the past

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Michael-Scott-I-Declare-Bankruptcy.gif

He'll literally yell it from the White House windows

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
I think Trump has already made the decision to pardon himself and family but will wait until the week of or day before 20th so that there is no time for a potential impeachment or removal from office.
He made the decision to pardon himself on January 20th, 2017.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't he needs to be trialed and convicted first? Else it would be preemptive immunity or something?!

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.

Yes, but only if the crime was conducted in the past from the point of the pardon. If you're pardoned, then go on to commit more federal crimes, you can be charged and convicted if guilty. Trump and his spawn are incapable of stopping committing crimes, particularly white collar (financial) crimes. Their entire existence is wrapped up in financial corruption. They could be pardoned for all the shit they've done up to the point of pardon, but then get nicked for continuing to act in a criminal manner, which they 10000000% cannot stop doing.

PhoenixDawn

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It would be the surest way to make sure he faces consequences and also probably the easiest way to get a clear precedence/ruling that it is NOT how it works at all. It's obviously a travesty, but I couldn't see even the craziest of the crazy judges ruling that it is within his right to declare himself above all laws.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Pardon yourself from what, Don? You only need a pardon if you committed a crime. Got anything you want to tell us?

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017

It's been done before but I don't think it's actually ever been tested in court. Johnson pardoned people in the confederacy and Carter pardoned vietnam war draft dodgers but it's never been tested.

This video does a great job going over it:

Sonicfan1373

Nov 24, 2017
Wow...this POS is really determined to completely break US democracy.

I bet fascist wannabes in the US are looking at all the pathways this dumb-ass is creating for them.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm fine with this he was never going to be prosecuted FEDERALLY and it will force us to reckon with this power. It's far too broad.

Sep 29, 2020
No. He doesn't have to admit anything.

Ok, I'm not really following how he can pardon himself then. In advance? How would that even work? Doesn't he have to face charges to be pardoned from?

edit: I see now that my question was a bit fuzzy from the start. I didn't mean admit to a crime as much as be cetrain that he would be prosecuted for one.