• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017

Link.

President Trump has suggested to aides he wants to pardon himself in the final days of his presidency, according to two people with knowledge of the discussions, a move that would mark one of the most extraordinary and untested uses of presidential power in American history.

In several conversations since Election Day, Mr. Trump has told advisers that he is considering giving himself a pardon and, in other instances, asked whether he should and what the impact would be on him legally and politically, according to the two people. It was not clear whether he has broached the topic since he incited his supporters on Wednesday to storm the Capitol in a mob attack.

No president has pardoned himself, so the legitimacy of prospective self-clemency has never been tested in the justice system and legal scholars are divided about whether the courts would recognize it. But they agree a presidential self-pardon could create a dangerous new precedent for presidents to unilaterally declare they are above the law and to insulate themselves from being held accountable for any crimes they committed in office.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
4022.jpg

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
He's done this out in the open. This shit isn't surprising. Remove the fucker already!!

He needs to be imprisoned.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
No better way to make sure the AG comes after your ass than to try pardoning yourself.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I honestly can't even fathom just how awful this dude was as president. one or the worst modern presidents ever

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I think Pence is too gutless to invoke the 25th. He saw how the cult was acting yesterday.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
It won't stand and it absolutely will be challenged. It should be assumed that he will attempt this if allowed.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He does it, the GOP are going to look even worse for not removing his guilty ass when they had the chance. So do it, Donny. Make it known how big of a crook you really are and bring down the party that helped enable you these last four years.

It's not like a self pardon's gonna stop New York from going after you and your family.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
To show you how crazy this ride has been, we've literally been talking about this moment for four fucking years.

www.reuters.com

Would Trump self-pardon end Russia investigations?

The Washington Post reported Thursday that President Donald Trump is talking to advisers about issuing pardons to aides, family members and even himself in order to undermine Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s widening Russia investigation. Trump outside counsel John Dowd...

And that's the first random 'old' article I could look up in ten seconds.

So yeah, gonna say...this is not unexpected.

Oct 25, 2017
a president should not even have that power, and if he tries it then the courts should make an example out of him for future presidents by setting the precedent that it is not a thing
it's a limit that's never been tested before because no one has stooped that low, but if he does it will be time for that test to finally get graded
courts couldnt allow such a precedent to be set, and the attempt could bring all his pardons into legal question

Last edited:

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
Before yesterday I would have gone either way with how the current SCOTUS would rule on this, but now I don't think there's a chance they would uphold a self-pardon.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually surprised he's "discussing" this at all and not just doing it immediately.

The guy just staged a coup. Why in the hell is he weighing the legality of him pardoning himself?

Protein

Oct 27, 2017
Prison. Make an example out of this stupid assclown and his ilk. Doing anything less than this is openly inviting it to happen again with a more competent asshole.

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
Lmao no, go to jail, go directly to jail you traitor. Fuckin die in jail miserable and alone. Fuck off into hell buddy. Rest in orange piss. Amen.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Can't pardon yourself from state crimes, you fuck. NY still coming for you.

Oh, yeah, threads merged

I wonder how specifically he will define his pardon. Will it include sedition, emoluments violations, lying to federal officials, collusion? Or will it just be a blanket, "I did it, but I don't deserve prison. What's "it"? Who's to say."

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine the mental gymnastics that any shameless Trump supporters will do to defend a president pardoning himself, his family, and his scumbag lawyer. If he does it, I hope they are empty, powerless words. I want it to be his final, weak cry. Scumbag shit.