• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of people who are sitting safely at home yet feel a war with Iran wouldn't be a huge problem (not only for Iranian civilians but the whole region and even western country) is so damn disturbing.
Those people are fucking morons. Just look at the shit that happened with Iraq and Afghanistan two wars we are still fighting. Iraq led to the rise of ISIS. Those two wars have caused thousands of deaths. And now people want to add a 3rd. They have to be out of their minds.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
As an Iranian right now living in Iran, reading some of the stuff here is just unfathomable. I mean this place is one of the more levelheaded community on the web and we have stuff like wanting more sanctions or easily entertaining the idea of entirely obliterating a fucking nation.
Humanity is fucked.

I feel you man. I'm a European and I've visited Iran in 2016. Never felt as safe and I've never met and talked to as many kind people as I did in Iran.

Oct 27, 2017
Those people are fucking morons. Just look at the shit that happened with Iraq and Afghanistan two wars we are still fighting. Iraq led to the rise of ISIS. Those two wars have caused thousands of deaths. And now people want to add a 3rd. They have to be out of their minds.
Agreed with you.

I mean even before those two, you can trace many of problems we have today to the first world war. Crazy to think about but it is the truth.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Definetly.

First two that come to mind is Kurdistan and Palestine. There are probably even more than those if I look it up.
Pretty much the entire region.

First it was cutting up Africa then they moved to the Middle East once oil was discovered and the Ottomans were gone.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
The amount of people who are sitting safely at home yet feel a war with Iran wouldn't be a huge problem (not only for Iranian civilians but the whole region and even western country) is so damn disturbing.
I haven't seen any posts saying this. What are you talking about?

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Mass* Occupation wouldn't be in the military's strategy. They only need to crush key military strongholds and disrupt the flow of government. There are so many ways to do this to Iran its silly to think you need to pack millions of troops on a border and march. Its archaic.

Shock and awe worked so well last time.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mass* Occupation wouldn't be in the military's strategy. They only need to crush key military strongholds and disrupt the flow of government. There are so many ways to do this to Iran its silly to think you need to pack millions of troops on a border and march. Its archaic.

Repeat after me.

If you don't occupy Iran after a massive bombing campaign, they will have a nuclear weapon.

There is no universe where the US, Saudi Arabia or Israel are chill with Iran getting a nuke after the US validating why they needed to be nuclear equipped in the first place.

If you launch a massive strike on Iran, you're committing to indefinite occupation.

End of story.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
That doesn't make it justifiable. Many Iraqis in US and Iraq cheered for war and topple saddam . How did that work out
They weren't justifying it.... what are you reading. And I like how you blame Iraqi civilians for the American indefinite occupation and failure to build a formiddable government.

Oct 25, 2017
So what do you think would happen if the US engages in all out conflict with Iran? Do you think China and Russia just watch? Never let a great crisis go to waste.
The same thing the USA did when Russia invaded Georgia and Ukraine,
act tough, support opposition but stay out of it directly.
Iran certainly isn't worth WW3 to Russia and China either.

Thats the downside to MAD, any lesser targets/allies in the end aren't going to be worth the WW3 fallout.
thankfully at this point it hasn't come into play at a large scale though.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018

Thats the downside to MAD, any lesser targets/allies in the end aren't going to be worth the WW3 fallout.
This. Russia wouldn't do shit beyond talk. Exactly the same as the US when Russia invades European counties.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Everyone who was pro war was to blame and is to blame. It's not that hard to understand
Iraqi civilians who wanted their authoritarian dictator to be toppled are not to blame for the US military and administration failings no.

But more than that the original ResetEra poster you guys quoted wasn't justifying any war, just talking tactics and theoreticals.

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting that some will describe the US as having withdrawn from the agreement but Iran will be described as "having violated" it.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
wtf does this even mean?
Most sanctions are pretty immoral because they hurt the poor and vulnerable of society the most, and Iranians have already suffered from sanctions. Implementing more sanctions because the Republicans are too dumb or racist to like the nuclear deal would quite literally be starving people to own the libs.

Deleted member 57378

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Id say war IS coming. My wife works for a military contractor. She says they started ramping up production like crazy, adding new equipment and producing "fake" ammo that doesnt have primers. Stopped making commercial ammo and set everything to full military.

The_hypocrite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Flyover State

You are thinking in US terms, they aren't the US. China probably goes for Taiwan, Russia probably goes for another landgrab. Within the Chaos they'll look for ways to capitalize.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
The US intercepts way before the aircraft enters American airspace, not 30 km away, let alone the clusterfuck that would occur if something entered the airspace.

My point being that flying strategic bombers towards another country's airspace is perhaps more provocative than a Navy reconnaissance drone that is designed to watch the waters of a (depending on who you ask) critical shipping lane. Taking things kinetic is also very provocative. You can certainly make a case if the Global Hawk went into their airspace, though the Pentagon is adamant it didn't. But that's basically what makes this shipping lane such a powder keg, it's very narrow, and Iran claims a fair chunk of it.

They were smart not to shoot at the P-8 tho. A. that's a trickier plane to actually take down as it has countermeasures and B. the senate and house would quickly fall in line behind a much larger response if they killed American servicemen.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
This administration will cook up any reason to start a military conflict with Iran. It's not like shooting down a drone can compare with Pearl Harbor or 9/11. Nobody wants this dumb war.

L.E.D.

Oct 27, 2017
Id say war IS coming. My wife works for a military contractor. She says they started ramping up production like crazy, adding new equipment and producing "fake" ammo that doesnt have primers. Stopped making commercial ammo and set everything to full military.

War will never stop, too insanely profitable, and you have a huge swarm of individuals who will put their life on the line so some dudes get fat paychecks. Its not about protecting America, it's about money. At 18 I was making stuff that I knew would be used to kill people, and I knew how much we got payed for each part, and I'm so glad to be away from that stuff.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
War will never stop, too insanely profitable, and you have a huge swarm of individuals who will put their life on the line so some dudes get fat paychecks. Its not about protecting America, it's about money. At 18 I was making stuff that I knew would be used to kill people, and I knew how much we got payed for each part, and I'm so glad to be away from that stuff.
Let's not go crazy with the divorce. The money is about America.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this whole situation isn't cooked up to be his own nuclear missile crisis to help with the polls. I wouldn't put it past the sick fuck.

It doesn't help him, not a conflict over a drone. Americans are tired of war and he ran as an isolationist anti war candidate. He's actually stuck to it but at the same time wanting it both ways by saber rattling and cornering himself with his idiotic deal making tactics. He keeps dealing with international affairs as if he's deal at a flea market over an old pair of sneakers.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
It doesn't help him, not a conflict over a drone. Americans are tired of war and he ran as an isolationist anti war candidate. He's actually stuck to it but at the same time wanting it both ways by saber rattling and cornering himself with his idiotic deal making tactics. He keeps dealing with international affairs as if he's deal at a flea market over an old pair of sneakers.
My point is that I can see the orange turd on a podium in a day or two talking about his great resilience and what a hero he is for not sending our young people to die over a completely idiotic dispute he created and how if it a Democrat they'd actually do it just for fun but not him he's a good guy.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017

Is the isolationism actually that big a deal? All he has to say is "war is good," and have Fox repeat that and his base will all believe they've never been isolationist and always wanted a war. They're not going to remember their own feelings on the matter once Trump tells them what their feelings are supposed to be. I mean, the rest of America doesn't want war, but Trump doesn't care about the rest of America, only his base, and his base will feel whatever he tells them to.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Is the isolationism actually that big a deal? All he has to say is "war is good," and have Fox repeat that and his base will all believe they've never been isolationist and always wanted a war. They're not going to remember their own feelings on the matter once Trump tells them what their feelings are supposed to be. I mean, the rest of America doesn't want war, but Trump doesn't care about the rest of America, only his base, and his base will feel whatever he tells them to.
Remember that time Republicans touted the Iraq War as Mission Accomplished until they had a loud white man on a debate stage tell them it was a mistake and their opinion flippped overnight.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As an Iranian right now living in Iran, reading some of the stuff here is just unfathomable. I mean this place is one of the more levelheaded community on the web and we have stuff like wanting more sanctions or easily entertaining the idea of entirely obliterating a fucking nation.
Humanity is fucked.
any era thread on venezuela: listen to the people of venezuela! we need to intervene!

any era thread on iran: don't listen to the people of iran! we need to intervene!

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Today's BBC Global News Podcast mentioned that Iran was warned 'through an intermediary' as the planes were in air. Any idea about that?

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
You are thinking in US terms, they aren't the US. China probably goes for Taiwan, Russia probably goes for another landgrab. Within the Chaos they'll look for ways to capitalize.

This is what scares me just as much as an invasion. Russia and China will look at new U.S. war tactics to justify their own ventures in the region, or in their backyards.