• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Why did they wait all this time to announce this? It should have happened a couple of hours at most after Barr came forth with his "conclusions".

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
Why did they wait all this time to announce this? It should have happened a couple of hours at most after Barr came forth with his "conclusions".

Apparently you can be the subject of the President's ire, attacked by him, slandered and libeled by his propaganda mouthpieces on Fox news, and attacked by the whole of the Republican Party for the entire length of your investigation and still be surprised that your results are handled disingenuously by your targets Attorney General.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
If Mueller is truly concerned he should, in the worst case scenario, leak the report (or reasonably redacted parts of it) himself. Yes, he would have exposure but his stature and credibility and the fact that he''s retired, will leave him less vulnerable than any other whistleblower who would be crushed like a bug with defamation and criminal charges.

Unfortunately, his institutionalist instincts will likely get the better of him.

It would be criminal to leak grand jury and/or classified information directly to the public. Especially as a civilian. Barr wouldn't hesitate to pull a Reality Winner on him (she's still got 3 years left, last I checked).

Barr's redactions will inform on where this goes next, as it's obvious his memo was designed to simply control the narrative for one news cycle. If he cuts the sections on conspiracy and obstruction to pieces under the rationale that convictions aren't forthcoming, it will be exceedingly obvious the intent is to hide the appearance of wrongdoing. At the very least, if he doesn't allow the SC's original section summaries to be released unaltered, he's playing games.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
My dad and I have been discussing the whole report thing a bunch and I always said the most transparent thing would've been a summary that was written by mueller himself without any damaging info that could be released. I can't believe he actually did that and that was still covered up. There must've been some really damning information even in those to not release them as well.

I still can't believe the media is so quick to bend over backwards to try and seem unbiased against trump. Polls have been showing that the summary really didn't do much to influence people's opinions though so I'm really curious to see how this stuff does.

Also if there is summaries with no classified info then I hope the second that someone else gets those copies they'll leak.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
WaPo has more!

Limited information Barr has shared about Russia investigation frustrated some on Mueller's team

Some members of the office were particularly disappointed that Barr did not release summary information the special counsel team had prepared, according to two people familiar with their reactions.

"There was immediate displeasure from the team when they saw how the attorney general had characterized their work instead," according one U.S. official briefed on the matter.

Summaries were prepared for different sections of the report, with a view that they could made public, the official said.
The report was prepared "so that the front matter from each section could have been released immediately — or very quickly," the official said. "It was done in a way that minimum redactions, if any, would have been necessary, and the work would have spoken for itself."

Mueller's team assumed the information was going to be made available to the public, the official said, "and so they prepared their summaries to be shared in their own words — and not in the attorney general's summary of their work, as turned out to be the case."

Oct 25, 2017
You know, for being really smart people the Mueller team comes across as super naive.

WHO COULD HAVE PREDICTED that a republican hack would protect the republican president.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
If you don't want your years of hard work undermined, don't decline to make a call on obstruction despite your evidence and leave it up to Trump's DOJ to interpret how to present that to the public. I don't doubt some are frustrated, but it just strikes me as incredibly naive that they expected anything different.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
You know, for being really smart people the Mueller team comes across as super naive.

WHO COULD HAVE PREDICTED that a republican hack would protect the republican president.

They probably did. That's probably why they made it incredibly obvious the report was meant for public. Then Barr's caught with his pants down. I mean what else can they do? He was essentially their boss and these are incredibly professional people.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
They probably did. That's probably why they made it incredibly obvious the report was meant for public. Then Barr's caught with his pants down. I mean what else can they do? He was essentially their boss and these are incredibly professional people.
Yep.

I still have faith in Mueller. He is a legal genius who thinks several moves ahead, and you can bet your house he knows Bill Barr better than anyone else in the public sphere. Mueller's team either are not aware of the long-game Mueller is playing here, or they are deliberately leaking particular ideas to shift the narrative. Maybe even both.

But whatever is happening, Mueller is guaranteed to have considered its probability thoroughly.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017

It's important to note that since the investigation has wound up a number of people on the team have now left the DOJ. In doing so, they are no longer beholden to the rules of the DOJ provided they do not release classified information.

Regardless of perceptions of their naivety, they still must conduct themselves professionally. You can't just have Barr release a summary, then come out and say it's bullshit. It's not the order of things. It will come out in time. If any of them were to go "rogue" it would just feed into the partisan witch hunt narrative.

Direct your anger at Barr and the Trump administration. They've tried to get out and control the narrative wrongfully before the report gets released through the proper channels. Legally, there is nothing the Mueller team could have done differently, it has to go through the AG.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep.

I still have faith in Mueller. He is a legal genius who thinks several moves ahead, and you can bet your house he knows Bill Barr better than anyone else in the public sphere. Mueller's team either are not aware of the long-game Mueller is playing here, or they are deliberately leaking particular ideas to shift the narrative. Maybe even both.

But whatever is happening, Mueller is guaranteed to have considered its probability thoroughly.
This kind of thinking got us into this mess. I want to believe, though.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
From a WaPo writer:

One thing that struck me. Our sources say Mueller team really upset that Barr hasn't shared full story on the obstruction evidence they gathered.

Also, Rudy last night:

vs Rudy Mar 24th

We're right back where we started.

Yep.

It's safer to assume that old guard Republicans still operate under the assumption that nebulous things likes "checks and balances" and "basic decency" will keep blatant criminality at bay. Comey is still publicly deferring to Barr. I wouldn't put it past Mueller to genuinely believe that a former DoJ colleague wouldn't twist his words to help a corrupt president.

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Advocating violence, history of similar infractions.
Hang them all. Build the gallows on the White House lawn.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Not really sure it has worked, Trump hasn't gone up in polls at all. I think he can still be damaged by this quite significantly.

Maybe, but it may also show that the report, no matter what it says, won't dramatically change minds. We should still know the truth, it just may not be worth the brain cells wondering how it affects his approval.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
It would be criminal to leak grand jury and/or classified information directly to the public. Especially as a civilian. Barr wouldn't hesitate to pull a Reality Winner on him (she's still got 3 years left, last I checked).

Barr's redactions will inform on where this goes next, as it's obvious his memo was designed to simply control the narrative for one news cycle. If he cuts the sections on conspiracy and obstruction to pieces under the rationale that convictions aren't forthcoming, it will be exceedingly obvious the intent is to hide the appearance of wrongdoing. At the very least, if he doesn't allow the SC's original section summaries to be released unaltered, he's playing games.

I realise it's criminal (that's why I mentioned exposure) but I didn't assume it would be leaked in its entirety or directly to the public - I was assuming a leak to Congress so it's still as close to SOP as possible while serving under a corrupt government. I also postulated that someone of Mueller's stature is a different kind of whistleblower than Reality Winner (which would be the reason why everybody under Mueller is on background.)

That Barr is playing games is already obvious based on his confirmation hearing vis a vis his behaviour in recent weeks.

It's frustrating that the good guys keep putting their faith in checks and institutions that are actively being dismantled around them. The US is going the way of Italy, Brazil and Indonesia while everybody is passively waiting on some magical system kicking in to halt the descent into corruption - that didn't work out too well for those other countries.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I for one am pretty bitter about this. I can only get so angry at Trump, but the people we put our trust in, these mueller investigators are the ones who have let us down. For 2 years they raised our hopes and found nothing to charge him with. How do you look at someone like trump for two years and find nothing. the guy is as corrupt as you can get. we all saw him obstruct justice on live tv. he literally said he fired comey for the russia thing. what more do you need?

you know hes a pathalogical liar, interview him and get him to lie. do something. no, they sent questions so his lawyers can answer them. they spent two years trying to get pawns like Manafort and Papadoplous and couldnt get them to turn on trump. same goes for Stone. they spent two years digging into his finances and couldnt find a single thing to charge him with? That could mean two things; trump is clean or these guys on Mueller's team fucking suck at their jobs. they have no right to bitch about how Barr didnt include the incriminating details in his summary because they themselves didnt do anything with those incriminating details and they had two years to do so. And while i would love to be relieved that our preisdent isnt a traitor, i dont think trump is clean. he wouldnt have acted like a guilty person for two fucking years if he was. i bet he was shocked their didnt find anything.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
It's safer to assume that old guard Republicans still operate under the assumption that nebulous things likes "checks and balances" and "basic decency" will keep blatant criminality at bay. Comey is still publicly deferring to Barr. I wouldn't put it past Mueller to genuinely believe that a former DoJ colleague wouldn't twist his words to help a corrupt president.

Basically. Mueller's team had one job, and they've allowed a Trump crony installed to manipulate their findings into a narrative that favors Trump to... do exactly that.

It's a little optimistic to expect there's some sort of 4D chess at work here by Mueller, when Comey, his disciple, was similarly naive. That's not to say that good things couldn't happen, the full report be released, or Mueller's team combat Barr's narrative, but damage has been done and public preconceptions formed.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Basically. Mueller's team had one job, and they've allowed a Trump crony installed to manipulate their findings into a narrative that favors Trump to... do exactly that.

It's a little optimistic to expect there's some sort of 4D chess at work here by Mueller, when Comey, his disciple, was similarly naive. That's not to say that good things couldn't happen, the full report be released, or Mueller's team combat Barr's narrative, but damage has been done and public preconceptions formed.

The puzzling thing about that read is that Mueller himself warned eloquently of 'iron triangles', the confluence of corrupt government, amoral business and organised crime as a clear and present danger.

If he felt that strongly about the risks, surely he would recognise it in the shape of the Trump administration and all it drags along?

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Not really sure it has worked, Trump hasn't gone up in polls at all. I think he can still be damaged by this quite significantly.
It's not directly about the polls, it's about the report itself, which can affect poll numbers.

If they have convinced a large enough segment of the population that the report is a settled issue, then it will look like the Democrats are grasping at straws to them.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
You mean the guy who has been in the job for a month because Trump fired the previous guy because he recused himself from the investigation and who has a history of cover-ups and got the job by sending an unsolicited letter proclaiming he doesn't believe a president should be indicted is...not being honest with an investigation involving the president???

Don't forget William Barr's Son-in-Law Just Landed a Job Advising Trump on "Legal Issues" too.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
NBC News:

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/04/mu...ated-sophisticated-russian-intel-op-nbc-news/

New details are continuing to trickle out about findings in special counsel Robert Mueller's report on Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election.

One day after some members of Mueller's team began leaking their displeasure with Attorney General Bill Barr's summary of their work, sources close to the investigation have told NBC News that Mueller's report offers a disturbing picture of President Donald Trump's campaign's interactions with Russian agents.

In particular, NBC News' Ken Dilanian reports that "some on the Mueller team say his findings paint a picture of a campaign whose members were was manipulated by a sophisticated Russian intelligence operation." They note, however, that "some of that information may be classified" and thus might not get released in the final report.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017

Clearly Trump projects an "aura of confusion" that makes anyone who gets too close to him or observes his activities too closely an incompetent mess.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
That was clear from the start.
Barr is there for one reason only.

They're not releasing it in full becasue there is a lot of damaging material in there.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Well this is interesting. I wonder if Mueller regrets the way he approached handing over his report? I'm not sure how all of this really works though.

Mueller is very by-the-book.

If a doctored copy of the report is released, he would comment. But otherwise, he'll let the system play out. It's not his role to make his own report public. If Congress asks him to testify though, he'd likely show up without hesitation.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Then that to me looks pretty good for Trump. Yes he was maybe manipulated, but he did not know that. So I don't think the report will do anything. And also Mueller wrote that Trump didn't do any collusion. So what are we still trying to get?

I'd still want to know why everybody of consequence on Team Trump was meeting Russians on the regular and consistently lying about it. Especially after being warned about these activities by the FBI.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
The media has really shown us that they are truly incompetent to handle someone like Trump. They were so quick to print huge headlines of him being exonerated with zero concern of it being false.

They didn't take into account his lies in regards to situations like this in the past? Pathetic and irresponsible reporting all around. Call Trump out.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Then that to me looks pretty good for Trump. Yes he was maybe manipulated, but he did not know that. So I don't think the report will do anything. And also Mueller wrote that Trump didn't do any collusion. So what are we still trying to get?

The "he's too stupid to know he was being used" defense looks good? It's not criminal, but it's also not a good look for a leader.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017

This right here lines up with exactly what I have thought all along. Mueller isnt an idiot. I knew his team provided a pre-redacted report. Or in this case, a report that was already ready for the public with very few redactions to be made if any.

This is a fucking take over of our democracy, folks. We are seeing it in real time. Democrats in power are not attacking this hard enough. They are either spineless or they too are caught up in this report somehow. There seems to be no eagerness to get this out there from either side and its scaring the shit out of me.

Jadusable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here we go again.

I'll find out on this forum if there is something substantial, but you're not getting me to tune in again

hitme

Oct 26, 2017
The media has really shown us that they are truly incompetent to handle someone like Trump. They were so quick to print huge headlines of him being exonerated with zero concern of it being false.

They didn't take into account his lies in regards to situations like this in the past? Pathetic and irresponsible reporting all around. Call Trump out.

.. but but my WH press pass!

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
If you guys honestly think this headline is anything other than stealth backtracking from major outlets, you're being played. The report is out, now the media gotta hold this L for awhile. This is just petty.
I too would like to be on this short list to see the report. I do enjoy exclusivity, I don't even eat at a restaurant unless I have a reservation.

Finalrush

Dec 7, 2017
This right here lines up with exactly what I have thought all along. Mueller isnt an idiot. I knew his team provided a pre-redacted report. Or in this case, a report that was already ready for the public with very few redactions to be made if any.

This is a fucking take over of our democracy, folks. We are seeing it in real time. Democrats in power are not attacking this hard enough. They are either spineless or they too are caught up in this report somehow. There seems to be no eagerness to get this out there from either side and its scaring the shit out of me.
The reality is that they can't handle this the way you want them to, they're going about this the right way.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
If you guys honestly think this headline is anything other than stealth backtracking from major outlets, you're being played. The report is out, now the media gotta hold this L for awhile. This is just petty.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Posts like this are laughable. Let me see the report. You have a link?

The reality is that they can't handle this the way you want them to, they're going about this the right way.

You might be right, but there is no precedent for how to handle something of this magnitude. We have the AG lying about the report to cover for trump and his cronies. We have the special counsel coming out and saying that Barr's summary downplayed the seriousness of their work. The Dems dont need to act out of character, but I would like to see a tad more urgency from them given the seriousness of all of this.