• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Might be new.

But why can't Instagram just add it feature, like scheduling a photo.

And if the Pic is trash, just delete? The thought of a less curated dump of photos sounds fresh though. You know the 4 pictures of food in a restaurant had 6 hours of thought behind the setup, and which to share.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Photos and social media are like Pandora's Box. Once the culture becomes saturated with the instant gratification of rapid photography and editing there's kind of no going back. The novelty factor of this will wear quick after the initial influencer media blitz after which point it will bleed users due to the delayed nature of receiving the photos.

As a short term scheme I see the appeal though.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Peak novelty —any other photo app on the market could replicate as a 'feature' if it becomes popular.

I didn't know that guy was as big in the social media space as he is. And turns out he is a horrible person. Go figure.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Cool idea but can't see this catching up in the long run with all the "beautiful" influencers on social media that usually take hundreds of pictures of the same scene/pose before settling on their favorite one that then they edit and analyze with a magnifying glass for any imperfections before posting like it was a casual thing. Unless it's easy to fake a "spontaneous" picture in this app by uploading a carefully curated one somehow.

Oct 27, 2017
Im not sure how many different levels of wtf this is on but more power to them

people can't juststart inventing fake nostalgia for things other westerners experienced, it can only be done for things like japanese city pop

OP
OP
wingkongex

wingkongex

Aug 25, 2019
I can actually imagine its use at some events, like a wedding or bar mitzvah....but that's about it and even then I'm not clear how you'd set it up. Make an account people can all log into? No clue.

I believe someone would then be able to create a 'thread' of pictures that people at the event would submit to, so basically like using a wedding hashtag on IG or something.

I've been to plenty of weddings that put disposable cameras on every table, so I can definitely see something like this for those situations.

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I hope they've actually got some dev/design hires coming up because holy shit is the UI bad at the moment

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Not a chance it reaches IG levels.

IG is on over 1 billion devices on Android alone.

It has a chance if they cash out to some megacorp though. Isn't Clubhouse on its way?

painey

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a fun novelty, especially for a night out or a party, but how does it make money?

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a true disposable camera experience unless you can barely make out what you're taking a picture of, and the frame around the viewfinder is a mere suggestion of what you'll actually be capturing.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure you could. It wasn't Hipstamatic but it would have been around then. It looks like there were several dozen Polaroid style apps though and it's all muddled together now. I specifically remember a waiting period for your photo to be "delivered" though.
Lost to time I guess.

The free version of HUJI still functions like this.

Zero chance this replaces Instagram, and to be brutal it's also an app that lives and dies with how social you are. It's a fun idea in the context of a party, but we aren't exactly having those right now (read: shouldn't be, I know people don't give a shit) and even as someone who considers themselves relatively outgoing, the 2-3 social events a week I was attending before COVID are nothing compared to the daily use case for Instagram.

Oct 25, 2017
These venture capitalists sure are enjoying pumping up these random apps. Guess hype is the only business in town at the moment.

They actually kind of don't enjoy pumping money into these kinds of apps, at least not for the last decade or so. Since Facebook bought Instagram in 2012 there has been a chilling effect on investment in any sort of competing social media apps. All of the established tech giants have such unassailable positions that they have almost completely scared off any sort of serious competition. Investors moved on to throwing money at boxed mattresses, pod-based food machines, and health and fitness gadgets.

neemmss

Oct 27, 2017
This app is 4+ years old according to the App Store. Feels like they just got some funding and pushing articles to the press and various aggregators to create some traction. Let's see where this goes I guess.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Novelty probably because most people and the big posters don't want ugly pictures.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
How is it interesting or "in" to take a picture of yourself and wait till the next day to see it? WTF is this shit? I really don't understand people.. "Oh look, I took a selfie. Now I have to wait for the next day to see it. Isn't this just the fucking best?"

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
One positive thing I will mention that I just noticed... you can't upload photos. I love that all the content will be coming straight off phones and not from an edited DSLR

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
I wonder if there will be any significant new paradigms in tech/media before I die, or is it just going to be this kind of stuff with social media apps. It sometimes feel like the acceleration of media tech has kind of peaked in the last decade and we're in a stagnant phase right now where people rely on relatively conservative models to work off of.

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I wonder if there will be any significant new paradigms in tech/media before I die, or is it just going to be this kind of stuff with social media apps. It sometimes feel like the acceleration of media tech has kind of peaked in the last decade and we're in a stagnant phase right now where people rely on relatively conservative models to work off of.
Just imagine when VR/AR hits.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Cool idea but can't see this catching up in the long run with all the "beautiful" influencers on social media that usually take hundreds of pictures of the same scene/pose before settling on their favorite one that then they edit and analyze with a magnifying glass for any imperfections before posting like it was a casual thing. Unless it's easy to fake a "spontaneous" picture in this app by uploading a carefully curated one somehow.
19459.jpg

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
This is literally an ad article. Also the app is old, they're just trying to pump out buzz for the "big" 2.0 release, getting blue checkmark Twitter accounts asking "DOES ANYONE HAVE A DISPO INVITE..." No one cared about Dispo 1.0 in 2019 and no one cares about this now. I hate this dude and the tech industry. So transparently vile.

"Some are calling it the next Instagram"
"Here's what you need to know about the Instagram killer everyone is talking about"

manufactured buzz. 🙄

Oct 27, 2017
This is literally an ad article. Also the app is old, they're just trying to pump out buzz for the "big" 2.0 release, getting blue checkmark Twitter accounts asking "DOES ANYONE HAVE A DISPO INVITE..." No one cared about Dispo 1.0 in 2019 and no one cares about this now. I hate this dude and the tech industry. So transparently vile.

"Some are calling it the next Instagram"
"Here's what you need to know about the Instagram killer everyone is talking about"

manufactured buzz. 🙄

Seriously. How was this published?

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
Sounds dumb and meme-like. Something to mess around with for a day or two and then you drop it. I don't think it will get any close to Instagram.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You know somethings up when a New York Times article can be read all the way through without logging in.

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
All I know of this guy is my friends on Instagram reposting a picture of him standing in front of 5 Tesla cars.

nexes

Mar 16, 2018
Seattle, WA
One positive thing I will mention that I just noticed... you can't upload photos. I love that all the content will be coming straight off phones and not from an edited DSLR

I can all but guarantee that if it became popular, someone would release an app that pretends to be a camera and allows you to throw whatever you want up into the viewfinder.

Influencers aren't going to give up the manufactured image quite so easily.