• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017

WASHINGTON — Intelligence officials warned House lawmakers last week that Russia was interfering in the 2020 campaign to try to get President Trump re-elected, five people familiar with the matter said, in a disclosure that angered Mr. Trump, who complained that Democrats would use it against him.

The day after the Feb. 13 briefing to lawmakers, Mr. Trump berated Joseph Maguire, the outgoing acting director of national intelligence, for allowing it to take place, people familiar with the exchange said. Mr. Trump cited the presence in the briefing of Representative Adam B. Schiff, the California Democrat who led the impeachment proceedings against him, as a particular irritant.

During the briefing to the House Intelligence Committee, Mr. Trump's allies challenged the conclusions, arguing that Mr. Trump has been tough on Russia and strengthened European security. Some intelligence officials viewed the briefing as a tactical error, saying that had official who delivered the conclusion spoken less pointedly or left it out, they would have avoided angering the Republicans.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Shocking no one. It's why every single vote matters. Republicans will lie, steal, and cheat their way to victory if we let them. Only by sheer numbers will we be able to overwhelm the attempts to rig the election.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I expect something like a civil war or a revolutionary war to happen if Trump wins again. People everywhere have had enough.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Shocking no one. It's why every single vote matters. Republicans will lie, steal, and cheat their way to victory if we let them. Only by sheer numbers will we be able to overwhelm the attempts to rig the election.
Sheer numbers don't work either. The electoral college system exists to deny democracy.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Telling, unsurprising, and true hellword shit that Trump's main reaction is "Democrats are going to weaponize this" and not "the integrity of our Democracy is important, we should do something"

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
And they'll get away with it too--he'll win the election again.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly there are a bunch of things Democratic lawmakers could weaponize against Trump but when I compare how Republicans acted under both Bush and Obama cmpared to Dems now they simply don't have that tenacity to attack their rival party in the media. They flirted with it for the first 3 months in 2016 and never went back, let alone escalated (aside from the Squad that is)

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Why wouldn't they accept help from Russia again? We heard their chants. Russia is their friend.

How long before we hear about high ranking intelligence officials suddenly leaving after years of service?

Oct 28, 2017
raw

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If your senator or congressman supports Trump in this they're literally betraying the US and there's no nuance or wiggle room on it now.

direct betrayal of the country and the constitution and I don't believe there's a way back for that party so almost every single one of them is going to take the position that they may as well stop pretending.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Why wouldn't they try again? It's not like this administration has done anything to stop it.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well duh, was anyone seriously expecting them to not help? It worked the first time and the stakes are higher for Russia now than they were 4 years ago, so of course they will be interfering again.

Oct 27, 2017
Last election Hillary beat Trump in California by like 4 million votes. They should just get 3 million of those to move to swing states in election years and you've got it in the bag.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Some intelligence officials viewed the briefing as a tactical error, saying that had official who delivered the conclusion spoken less pointedly or left it out, they would have avoided angering the Republicans.
This is quite a take.
Learned helplessness strikes again.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The fuckery can be overcome. They can't just wave a magic wand and make the election go to him.

Turnout will be key. Which means selecting the right nominee to inspire voters to get to the polls this November.
True, but I feel Democrats behind getting us an inspiring nominee. We're coming up on March of the election year and I have no idea if they plan on going with Bernie, Biden, Warren, Bloomberg, or one of the other many options they have there. There isn't a clear cut, strong front runner like we had the years of Hillary, Obama, Kerry, or Gore.

I dunno, maybe I'm jumping the gun or I'm not paying attention, but I feel at least for President, the race is lost and we need to fight hard for more Senate and House seats.

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
Well there weren't any real consequences the first time he did it, not surprised this time. Here's hoping to a gigantic democratic blue wave at the polls. These traitors need to be stopped, and jailed for life.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I mean did anyone think otherwise would happen?
The US is basically controlled by Russia at this point.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Every Republican in the Senate should be strung up for this.
Hey Collins, did Trump learn his fucking lesson you spineless waste?

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't even imagine the insane amounts of foreign dark money being funneled into this. Spending maybe 10s of millions on disinformation to reap billions in deals with a Trump admin? What a return on investment. The whole world knows it's open season on the US election.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
People railing about this were treated as conspiracy nuts back in 2016. Hopefully we've stopped fucking around now.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Honestly there are a bunch of things Democratic lawmakers could weaponize against Trump but when I compare how Republicans acted under both Bush and Obama cmpared to Dems now they simply don't have that tenacity to attack their rival party in the media. They flirted with it for the first 3 months in 2016 and never went back, let alone escalated (aside from the Squad that is)

They don't have a 24-hour propaganda machine in their corner. Nor does their base respond to chest-thumping like the GOP base does.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
Of course Democrats will exploit this news. We knew about it in 2016 and Mitch McConnell was the reason it was covered up.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
in case it wasn't clear, trump canned the acting DNI for allowing congress to get this briefing and he's installing a nazi-boosting twitter troll who has dismissed russian interference in his place