• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Did Pepe ever actually win over the cat? I can't remember, my memory is only of him being a creep rapist and the cat never relenting to him.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
Did Pepe ever actually win over the cat? I can't remember, my memory is only of him being a creep rapist and the cat never relenting to him.
If I remember right, he eventually did yes, or the tables got turned and the cat suddenly went after him in a creepy way and scared him off—which is also terrible.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
I never thought Pepe got the cat? He was always doing too much and no cat ever fell for him. The joke was that nigga was everywhere. Like you could cut the string holding an elevator then it fall and explodes but here this fucking dude come waltzing in with BBQ.

edit: i think i do remember the time when they did the flip above. I liked that one.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I always thought Pepe Le Pew was a piece of shit, even as a kid. It didn't help that his cartoons were boring.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
On behalf of all skunks, I formally apologize for Pepe Le Pew's behavior. We're actually all kind of sick of that motherfucker.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
It's embarassing to say, but I def believed at a young age that no from a girl was just an invitation to keep trying as some sort of game to get them to say yes, and that this was normal courtship.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's embarassing to say, but I def believed at a young age that no from a girl was just an invitation to keep trying as some sort of game to get them to say yes, and that this was normal courtship.

This idea is or at least was perpetuated a LOT for a long time and I want to say the 90s into the 2000s I stopped seeing it really be prominent, but that idea was pushed on to me by my Dad and brother and I'll openly admit I fell into that trap really early on in my dating career and immediately felt awful after even suggesting it.

Frankly had this experience with a lot of the shit my dad and brother tried to instill in me growing up...

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't it this sort of humor but more threatening, harmful? Less self aware

Society obviously tolerated the pervin' male character way too long. The harmless/redeemable peepin Tom (animal house, bttf), the tsa check guy (snl skit), pepe le pew. It's good we question characters like this nowadays instead of hand them movies

Speedy on the other hand is a character made by a bunch of white guys of the time. But was also huge with Mexico in general, which points to representation mattering. He was also very Bugs Bunny and a proverbial winner, using his skills to outwit

Definitely have to question Slowpoke and other characters though, with no Mexican crew's involvement. He is more culturally insensitive moments though, and less Pepe

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
My understanding is the Speedy character, while problematic in his own ways, isn't really seen as the primary driver of racist stereotyping in his cartoons, but moreso his supporting cast, like Slowpoke as already mentioned. When Speedy shows up outside of that "context" by himself he's generally seen as less of an issue.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think this is just Pepe Le Pew though. If you look at other cartoons (and even live action shows and movies) in history, the punchline and trope was always the guy who's head over heels for the love interest, and will usually persist even when rejected multiple times until eventually, they end up getting the girl (often times the creepy part is that the girl concedes simply because the guy asked multiple times, thus never really giving the girl a voice).

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
It's been a while since I've watched some Looney Tunes but I feel like Slowpoke Rodriguez was a bigger issue than Speedy.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm Mexican, speedy is awesome. He is a hero who not only wins because of his speed but because he usually outsmarts his opponents.

KimonoNoNo

Oct 26, 2017
I recently watched the original Ghostbusters and felt really uncomfortable with Venkman flirting with his female student during the telepathy research scene. Ghostbusters is a beloved movie, but there's no way a scene like that would fly nowadays.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Mexican here. Nobody hated or felt insulted by Speedy or Lento Rodriguez (Slowpoke).

In fact I can remember people being disappointed when they even stopped airing the reruns that involved Speedy and his friends.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah.. I think I vaguely remember Pepe from when I watched as a kid. Damn, that's really fucking creepy now, especially the locked door scene

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
You also have to consider that Slowpoke was a purposeful comedic contrast to Speedy

Pelican

Oct 26, 2017
Seems the old camps are still holding up.

-Pepe's creepy
-Speedy set up white savior traps

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Pepe was an extreme version of it but even characters in popular (with kids) shows like Urkel and to maybe a lesser extent Screech were examples of this. The persistent (yet actually creepy) nerd who was constantly rejected by the pretty girl was positioned as almost a sympathetic figure.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Honestly, I have zero interest showing my kids old WB characters. There are much better programs for them to watch, and I really wonder how popular this brand is among younger generations.

Do they even know they exist?

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I mean those aren't even opinions, they're just factual observations. Slowpoke Rodriguez was definitely my first exposure to the "sleepy Mexican" stereotype as a kid.

Honestly, I have zero interest showing my kids old WB characters. There are much better programs for them to watch, and I really wonder how popular this brand is among younger generations.

Of course. There have been multiple Looney Tunes shows on TV in the last 10-20 years and just about everyone born after 1980 has seen Space Jam and Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020

My kid is eight and knows bugs bunny, but that's about it.

On a slightly different note, I wonder if Popeye has issues as well. I have a weird urge to show him Popeye cartoons.I was obsessed with them as a kid

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Many people struggle with accepting that something that they grew up consuming & enjoying was actually pretty messed up when you view it through a lens of what is acceptable today and what was acceptable in the past. Rather than acknowledging that Pepe pursued the cat in a way that normalizes rape culture, many people just want to fight the opportunity of having a moment of personal growth. I dunno. Some people are just so staunchly resistant to changing themselves that they'll defend anything that goes against any given memory they have in their heads. It's Pepe Le Pew. It means nothing if we burn Pepe Le Pew. But people gotta act like it's worth salvaging this cartoon character because 0.00001% of their personal identity is tied to it.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
Uh yeah, there's a bunch of Popeyes around WWII that had racial jokes and tones("You're a Sap Mr Jap!").
Ah yes of course, I should have realized that. Oh well, I've learned over and over I don't have to shove my childhood down my kid's throat. At least he loves Mario, so that's a win

masud

Oct 31, 2017
Yes, but it still glorifies the behavior.
How do you glorify something while making fun of it? I don't think the imagery is fit for modern consumption but I dont think Pepe was supposed to be a role model. Didnt the women always end up dropping an anvil on his head or something?

Also I don't think Pepe or Speedy need to be "canceled" just reimagine the characters. All of the Loony toons have been in problematic cartoons if we're being honest....

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
How do you glorify something while making fun of it? I don't think the imagery is fit for modern consumption but I dont think Pepe was supposed to be a role model. Didnt the women always end up dropping an anvil on his head or something?

Also I don't think Pepe or Speedy need to be "canceled" just reimagine the characters. All of the Loony toons have been in problematic cartoons if we're being honest....
Well, I see where you're coming from, but personally I'm not sure kids will see the distinction. Pepe is the protagonist, the hero of the cartoon, questing for his prize. Being a parody of French doesn't factor in as much, and neither does the outcome of losing.

And, yes, maybe re-imagination could work, that's a whole different discussion though

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
I can't think of single person who liked Pepe. It was always creepy and trash.

"Lovable perv" is a character type you see in plenty of anime/video games. The character who doesn't respect boundaries and gropes/creeps on the female characters, gets slapped or beat up but never really gets called out or faces serious consequences and their casual sexual assault is treated as harmless or a joke. Same vibe as Le Pew.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I can't think of single person who liked Pepe. It was always creepy and trash.

as a kid I thought Pepe was hilarious, he was one of my faves. I found him funny.

no idea why really. Never approached women with a 'Pepe' attitude, not sure why I enjoyed the character so much.As an adult, yeah, the character is creepy to me

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I always thought of him as a sort of villain, comparable to Elmyra. It's clear that everything he does is wrong. As a kid I didn't think of things like rape but he definitely seemed like a torturer and almost horror movie monster.

Last edited:

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
There's a drunk and lethargic Mexican stereotype in modern times? This is one ive never heard of outside of old cartoons.

I also always thought that Pepe le pew was supposed to come off as a creep anyway.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Slowpoke wasn't drunk, he was high. I'm 99% sure he literally says "marijuana" in one of his versions of "La Cucaracha"
That's the original lyrics of La Cucaracha.

EDIT: Upon looking again, it's apparently from a version that was popularized during the Mexican Revolution, although there were earlier versions.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Even as a kid I felt almost intolerable vicarious discomfort from the experience of the black cat.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always though the intent of Pepe what he was doing was meant to be seen as wrong because it was mocking French men. Not there's not issues of just eliminating of the womens view and seeing them just as a prop.