• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SEE THREADMARKS FOR UPDATES / ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Executives at The New York Times scrambled on Thursday to address the concerns of employees and readers who were angered by the newspaper's publication of an opinion essay by a United States senator calling for the federal government to send the military to suppress protests against police violence in American cities.

Near the end of the day, James Bennet, the editor in charge of the opinion section, said in a meeting with staff members that he had not read the essay before it was published. Shortly afterward, The Times issued a statement saying the essay fell short of the newspaper's standards.

"We've examined the piece and the process leading up to its publication," Eileen Murphy, a Times spokeswoman, said in a statement. "This review made clear that a rushed editorial process led to the publication of an Op-Ed that did not meet our standards. As a result, we're planning to examine both short-term and long-term changes, to include expanding our fact-checking operation and reducing the number of Op-Eds we publish."

The Op-Ed, posted on the Times website Wednesday, carried the headline "Send In the Troops." It was written by Tom Cotton, Republican of Arkansas. "One thing above all else will restore order to our streets: an overwhelming show of force to disperse, detain and ultimately deter lawbreakers," the senator wrote.

www.nytimes.com

New York Times Says Senator’s Op-Ed Did Not Meet Standards (Published 2020)

After a staff uproar, The Times says the editing process was “rushed.” Senator Tom Cotton’s “Send In the Troops” essay is now under review.

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You can't just say "didn't read lol" and keep your job

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And people in the other thread were saying it was perfectly normal for NYT to publish such an op-ed...

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
802d648b6ebbfe351455c3cb5e5f7fc0.gif

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Then fucking resign.

"Whoops under my watch we advocated for using the military against our readers lol" doesn't really cut it.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I'm tired of upholding the NYT's reputation as the paper of record when their own editors won't.

I've been unsubscribed, and now I'll encourage everyone I know to do the same.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do find it very amusing that NYT's teams are so separated that the news section can run an investigative piece on the Op-Ed management.

Op Ed management needs to be fired. Fucking christ.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
They're saying a rushed editorial process led to the publishing of an article without it having being vetted by the editor, but anyone with common sense would literally just need to read the headline of the op-ed to determine that it was fascist garbage that's unfit for print.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In general I don't like calling for people to be fired or whatever, but like, dude, this is literally your only job. How is "whoops didn't actually read it!" your defense here?

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
An editor who doesn't even read pieces submitted to them.

He's definitely earning every penny of his salary.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
God my hope is that all of this blowback will lead to less of people like Brett fucking Stephens writing for the NYT. His writing makes me physically gag.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
The NYT's just trash in every regard, but their OPED section is by far the worst. Everyone on that section should lose their jobs, not just this idiot.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they lost subscribers galore over this shit.

They were so busy ballwashing Tom Cotton and the GOP they didn't even read it?

Or maybe he did read it and that's his excuse for not having to defend it.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I would be toast if my team shipped fucked up assets and when leadership came to ask me about it my response was "I didn't review them."

Toast.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Oops! Don't you guys just hate it when you do a fascism without even noticing?

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
They clearly learned a lot from the "This Clears Trump!" shit that they ran pre election. Fuuuuck them.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
They should have shredded anything coming out of the mouths of known bigoted sycophants to start with. They should be so hardline that Cotton wouldn't have even mailed it in because he'd know I'd be a waste of time. But he did have the gall to send it in because he knows NYT is so slavishly devoted to the "both sides" bullshit they think makes them neutral and unbiased.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
So who did read it and allow it?

He should resign. So should whoever solicited or allowed it.

They should probably start fresh from the top down with their opinion side.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
1) He DID read it. Of course he fucking read it. He just couldn't figure another way to deflect from the idea that he tacitly endorsed it.

2) In a world where he did not read it, which again - isn't this one, he neglected to do like the one thing he's hired to do and should be replaced by someone who could do that job.

He should be replaced anyway mind you.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
For those asking why he would admit to not doing his job, consider the alternative...

Called out over this bullshit, do you:

a) Admit that you read this shit it and gave it the thumbs up
or
b) Say "woopsy daisy", and pretend that you didn't read it

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
The editor of the newspaper did not read the article they were publishing... Either it's bullshit or he neglected his duty. Either way, fire the guy, he is not fit to be an editor.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
So he chose to be known as a complete moron instead of terrible at his job... but also terrible at his job? Odd choice.

PS Wow he's fucking terrible at his job.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
"Aw shucks, my bad. :( Anyway, here's a white supremacist on why reinstating Jim Crow would be ennobling for minorities..."

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
1) He DID read it. Of course he fucking read it. He just couldn't figure another way to deflect from the idea that he tacitly endorsed it.

2) In a world where he did not read it, which again - isn't this one, he neglected to do like the one thing he's hired to do and should be replaced by someone who could do that job.

He should be replaced anyway mind you.

Of course he read it. Guaranteed.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck you James Bennet. I really hope he gets fired, but more importantly learn how it's like to be endangered. When I read the essay yesterday I was so angry. And then this fucking man goes on twitter making up excuses about both sides. Like are you fucking kidding. Again fuck you James Bennet.