• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Yep. Streaming is something that, while looking cool on the outside, seems like an absolute nightmare to make your full time occupation.
A lot of creative outlets are a nightmare atm. Want to be an artist or writer, particularly one who is self-employed and runs a Patreon? Expect to be working very long weeks - longer still if you're not one of the lucky ones who can support themselves on their creative endeavours alone.

Social Media means you have to be putting out a constant stream of content or risk falling into irrelevance, because there's always somebody else willing to pick up the slack and take your place.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
At one point do you stop giving a shit about your follower count?

I think this guy is clearly elevated himself to a point where he doesn't need to worry about losing X number of subscribers if he goes dark for a week.
I guess that's kind of mentality you need to distinguish yourself in current streamer market.

I know of a minor streamer who maintains his schedule daily, streams 8+ hours a day for a year... and constantly worries whether his content will attract the viewers; he still only gets ~100 viewers in average.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I feel like most people in this thread know little or none about money management.
Would you quit working FOREVER if you had 10 million dollars?

Some of you are ridiculous
Quite honestly yes. I absolutely would quit my job immediately if that much money was in my bank account. I could easily live off that the rest of my life.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I mean, agree with him or not but being away from a stream for a long time can have major drops in viewership. When he said he was away for a week for his honeymoon and said it was a calculated risk, he's absolutely right. It's not like a website with multiple writers or a YouTube channel that you can just toss content onto in advanced. You have to have a presence all the time.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Then get more sleep?

These streamers making a ton of money should invest and automate their income so they do not have to worry so much about losing viewers. He will never achieve LeBron James level of fame--LeBron can sit out an entire season and still be famous as fuck no problem, so he shouldn't sacrifice aspects of his personal well being to do so. Losing 300 followers? Who cares? Your health comes first and you besides Fortnite and Twitch, are the product. You are a millionaire, invest in real estate or some shit or find more streams of income besides streaming so you can better do it on your time on your own terms.

Also, why do people unsub to people who do not stream for a day or two? Is it literally to clamp them by the balls so they can continue to stream? If so that's quite terrible.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
Guy was asked a question and answered it. GAF-Reset is really on some shit sometimes.

I'd imagine he's aware of how tenuous his position on top is and it's not going to last forever. He clearly feels like he needs to make his money while he can and not take it for granted.

Look around here, gamers are fickle garbage. They'll flip over anything and his fans aren't going to be more understanding. Every minute he's offline he's not making that money.

People wouldn't respond like this about anyone running their own business.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I'd probably go insane if I have to play the same game on his schedule. Even as a job, that would really suck the joy out of playing a videogame. I hope he at least saves a butload of his money for when he begins to crack under the pressure XD

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. There isn't a scientific consensus. People have different circadian rhythms and durations for sleep stages, and for someone 7 hours is optimal while for someone else 8 or 9 or 6 or 5 is perfect to leave them feel refreshed.

I believe there is a scientific consensus based on numerous studies that most people fall in the the category of on average needing 7-8 hours of sleep.

Some people only need 4. Some only need 6. There's a reason 7-8 is the recommended amount, and it's because of averages.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
I would take 5 hours straight, interrupted sleep (or whatever is normal for people because I don't know) than the 8 I currently don't get and wake up every hour. It was also much easier to stay up and sleep less when I was younger.

I don't think he's got much to worry about yet, the fickle nature of twitch doesn't seem to have lasting ramifications for him.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I were in his position I'd quit now and live a life of luxury. I wonder what his game plan is in terms of how much money he wants to accumulate before he stops. That's the only question I wish someone would ask him.

Why? Many actors make millions with every movie and they keep acting. Professional athletes keep competing long after they acquired a fortune. At some point, the money they make is nice of course, but it's not the main reason people keep doing what they love.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Quite honestly yes. I absolutely would quit my job immediately if that much money was in my bank account. I could easily live off that the rest of my life.

Problem here is that you'll never get to that type of money if you have this type of attitude. Where would you have stopped? 1 mil? 2 mil? 5 mil?

What makes 10 mil that magic number?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's actually how it works, though. Twitch viewers are fickle, especially if a schedule gets derailed.
Then who cares about those people? Commit to a schedule that works for you and don't worry about the people who quit when there's a hiccup. Dude can probably spare to lose the ultra-fickle people......many of whom will probably come back at some point anyway.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
I gotta assume he can't just hire someone to stream under his brand so they can do it in shifts? Would that cause the whole thing to tumble down? Usually you come up by yourself, but then you bring others in to lessen the burden. If that's not viable in the streaming world, then somethin has to give eventually.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
I feel like most people in this thread know little or none about money management.

If I take in to account how much I've earned so far and take a conservative guess at how much I would make to retirement I would have to live to over 300 to make that kind of money. Yes, I could live off that for the rest of my natural life. How damned spoiled are you to think otherwise? In what world is that not enough? Sounds like someone with too much money and spends way too much to make it sustainable.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
You can live very comfortably on $100,000 a year. $1 million is ten years of that. $10 million is a hundred years of that.

So, yes, even without investing like a maniac, you could get $10 million and live very cozily for the rest of your life without ever working again.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Why? Many actors make millions with every movie and they keep acting. Professional athletes keep competing long after they acquired a fortune. At some point, the money they make is nice of course, but it's not the main reason people keep doing what they love.

Ninja took a 6 day honeymoon that was calculated and made him worry he'd lose viewership. If that viewership isn't about the money, then he'd rather be streaming than enjoy time with his wife just because he likes it. If that's the case that's his perogative. I don't doubt there are people who make millions and love what they do for a living. However when someone like Ninja wishes he could get more sleep, he can afford to get more sleep. There's a bit of a psychological question that comes into play where one has to ask, how much money is to much money? Then greed reels it's ugly head for many people who are in the position to keep collecting large checks. So like I said, if I were in his shoes I'd stop. But I'm the kind of guy who doesn't need much in life to be content. I just wonder what Ninjas monetary goal is. Keep going till he either can't or his fans move on? Or is there a number he wants to reach before he considers himself able to retire.

Oct 27, 2017

10 million is more than enough to live very comfortably for a lifetime. Heck; he could easily invest in a little business with that kind of capitol and invest himself in that while also having a healthy home life.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
A lot of creative outlets are a nightmare atm. Want to be an artist or writer, particularly one who is self-employed and runs a Patreon? Expect to be working very long weeks - longer still if you're not one of the lucky ones who can support themselves on their creative endeavours alone.

Social Media means you have to be putting out a constant stream of content or risk falling into irrelevance, because there's always somebody else willing to pick up the slack and take your place.
I'm currently running a youtube channel that's gotten somewhat popular since I started (7k subscribers over 3 months) and I realized quickly that I never want to start a patreon because as soon as people give you money for a hobby, it becomes much more of a obligation and way more unfun.

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
All of his concerns are legit for most streamers because most streamers aren't millionaires. But him? Give me a fucking break. Tell it like it is man.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Problem here is that you'll never get to that type of money if you have this type of attitude. Where would you have stopped? 1 mil? 2 mil? 5 mil?

What makes 10 mil that magic number?
Lol it's true, and I'm not a driven enough person to ever make that much money. I was just asked if I had 10 mil would I stop working forever. And hell yes I would stop.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
Gets asked: "Would you like more sleep?"
Replies: "Yeah I'd like more sleep."
ERA: Quit crying you fucking baby! Welcome to the adult world! Surprised you can sleep at all with all that guilt on your conscience!

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Probably not a popular opinion, but I do feel bad for him. His job is playing the same game every single day for the entirety of the day. That can't be healthy on the mind.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus. But why though? At this point he could easily take off a couple of hours. He doesn't need anymore money, surely.

There is likely a big part of this that kind of becomes an obsession over numbers. Taking a vacation for any streamer basically guts their sub count, the less you're on the more the number drops. So it kinda encourages marathon sessions, little downtime, etc. The more active you are, the more eyes see you, the more subs you get.

Ninja specifically is an odd case since yeah, he's loaded, but I guess when you're in that spot you still want to maintain it and rake in as much as you can.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
All of his concerns are legit for most streamers because most streamers aren't millionaires. But him? Give me a fucking break. Tell it like it is man.
This is exactly why he gets no sympathy. People here complain era is hard on Ninja but it makes sense to me that he's treated the way he is.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't envy that lifestyle and I don't want that lifestyle either. He's clearly at risk of burnout, like a lot of high profile streamers.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus. But why though? At this point he could easily take off a couple of hours. He doesn't need anymore money, surely.

He makes 500k a month, and he says taking time off loses a lot of subscribers. I think a big part of why he does it is because he wants to keep the heat going.

What me and a marketing friend from Ubisoft were discussing is why he doesn't hire staff to assist in the more stressful work. We feel like he could be getting more sleep if he had less friction.

Oct 25, 2017
You can live very comfortably on $100,000 a year. $1 million is ten years of that. $10 million is a hundred years of that.

So, yes, even without investing like a maniac, you could get $10 million and live very cozily for the rest of your life without ever working again.
Pretending taxes arent a thing and that he doesn't want to do anything for family. Or pretending that his living standards haven't increased. Picture sending a kid to college in 18 years.

Use your head Era.

It's a lot of money, yes, it's not, no worries for the rest of your life money.

Oct 27, 2017
Tbh, I get why he's doing it. Squeezing every drop out of this gig while he can is pretty genius - it'll set up a nice lil fortune that will make the rest of his life much more comfortable. The Fortnite bubble will probably pop eventually, so geting as much money out of it as possible seems ideal.

IXI FalcoN

Oct 27, 2017
Ninja knows he struck gold and he's mining it for all it's worth. Fortnite won't stay relevant forever, so make some sacrifices now and ride the gravy train all the way to the station. I would definitely just buckle down and grind for the next few years if I was in his shoes. He's making set for life kind of money.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

LOL

I mean, if I was bored of streaming, sure. He could invest 5-6 million of that and grow it to a substantial amount. If he doesn't want to stream as much, he could easily stream 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week take extensive vacation and easily make a few hundred thousand a year just playing video games and keeping an audience entertained, and a few hundred thousand is a very conservative estimate, you could make that much with 5,000 concurrent viewers.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The dude makes like $400k a month just off subs alone. I'd probably do it for a few more years or until the Fortnite craze dies. After that I'm retiring.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I would be a horrible celebrity .. as soon as I made 3 or 4 million you would never see me again. Lol