• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

WASHINGTON — A former associate of Rudolph W. Giuliani, President Trump's personal lawyer, said on Friday that he had turned over to congressional Democrats a recording from 2018 of the president ordering the dismissal of Marie L. Yovanovitch, the United States ambassador to Ukraine at the time.
The associate, Lev Parnas, who worked with Mr. Giuliani on the effort to oust the ambassador and to pressure the Ukrainian government to pursue investigations to help Mr. Trump, located the recording on Friday after its existence was first reported by ABC News, said Mr. Parnas's lawyer, Joseph A. Bondy.

Mr. Bondy said it "is of high materiality to the impeachment inquiry" of Mr. Trump, which House Democrats are presenting in the Senate. He said the tape had been provided to the House Intelligence Committee, whose chairman, Representative Adam B. Schiff, is leading the House impeachment managers in their presentation of the case against Mr. Trump to the Senate.

The recording emerged as Democrats are pressing the Senate to call more witnesses and seek additional evidence for the trial, saying there is more to be learned about the pressure campaign against Ukraine.

Democrats argued on Friday that the recording bolsters their argument that there may be relevant evidence that has yet to be considered.

This dude is going to mysteriously fall off a balcony.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Is this another dinner firing tirade as the last one, or is it the same one?

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
Wait is this a different tape then the whole "get rid of her" tape from earlier?

Apologies if im missing something

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Wait is this a different tape then the whole "get rid of her" tape from earlier?

Apologies if im missing something

ABC said they have a tape but they didn't say who it was from. It basically backed up Lev's stories.

Then Lev comes out and says he has audio of the same thing.

We don't know if Lev provided the tape to ABC.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I get the feeling if Trump doesn't get re-elected he is off to somewhere without an extradition treaty.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone please explain to me what is incriminating about this? I'm not doubting that it is since it is being treated like a big deal in the media but Trump does have the authority to fire an ambassador and he's not getting impeached for wanting to fire Yavonovitch. It does thoroughly kill any lies about Trump not knowing Parnas though.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Can someone please explain to me what is incriminating about this? I'm not doubting that it is since it is being treated like a big deal in the media but Trump does have the authority to fire an ambassador and he's not getting impeached for wanting to fire Yavonovitch. It does thoroughly kill any lies about Trump not knowing Parnas though.

It wasn't just him trying to fire the ambassador, but if he said exactly what was quoted, it sounded like he wanted her gone gone.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Yes, he could fire her but he is telling non government officials to get rid of her which they have no authority to do unless he meant six feet under.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017

1) supposedly in the conversation/tape Trump didn't just want her fired, he wanted someone to 'take her out'.
2) The people he is relaying this info have on record been illegally tailing the Ambassador and even talked about how they could put a hit on her.
3) none of the people he appeared to talk to have any legal means to get rid of the ambassador, aka he wanted someone else to do his dirty work.
4) Trumps biggest defense against Lev Parnas is he didn't know him, or conversed with him, he simply took pictures with him because he does that for everyone. Tape supposedly shows him talking with them in a private setting talking about personal things for his presidency.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
When Trump says he doesn't know someone, it's very clear he knows him on a personal basis.

Every fucking time.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't just him trying to fire the ambassador, but if he said exactly what was quoted, it sounded like he wanted her gone gone.

Yeah but I just can't see that being an argument anyone is willing to make based on this alone. Reporting that the President was requesting to get a US ambassador whacked is such an extreme charge that I can't see any reporters or Congesspeople willing to float that possibility based on this alone.

Big Boss

Oct 27, 2017

trump said he didn't know Parnas. Never met him. Tape has him giving them direct orders. And they aren't federal employees so how can they "get rid of her"

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but I just can't see that being an argument anyone is willing to make based on this alone. Reporting that the President was requesting to get a US ambassador whacked is such an extreme charge that I can't see any reporters or Congesspeople willing to float that possibility based on this alone.

Its not on 'this' alone. We have Text messages stating the intent, to THESE people he is talking to between each other who were tailing the ambassador.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I wish some people from The Apprentice would start leaking shit too. Be patriots.

I don't disagree but you could really screw up your life by

a. Getting sued and spending hundreds of thousands of dollars in litigation
and
b. Becoming an immediate target by Maga scum who will ruin your life and your family.

That's what makes the people who do come out so fucking brave. Senator Blackburn yesterday was trashing Vindman for coming forward. The man is an American hero and she is a vile piece of shit.

Yesterday, she repeated an attack against Vindman that originated in the dankest conspiracy swamps of the right-wing internet. She went on to call him "vindictive" and to claim he had leaked information against the president — a claim Vindman denies, and one that wouldn't change the damaging content of his testimony anyway.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017

Thursday on The Rachel Maddow Show, Lev Parnas said President Donald Trump attempted to fire former U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch multiple times, but was unable to do so via regular channels.

"The president kept firing her and she wouldn't leave," Parnas said, "so nobody could understand what was going on. He fired her to my knowledge at least four or five times. He even had a breakdown and screamed, 'Fire her' to Madeleine [Westerhout], his assistant or secretary before he fired her. And she said, 'Mr. President, I can't do that.'"

"I don't know how the conversation came up but I do remember me telling the president that the ambassador was badmouthing him and saying that he was going to get impeached, something to that effect," Parnas said. "At that point, he turned around to John DeStefano, who was his aide at the time, and said, 'Fire her.' There was a silence in the room. He responded to him and said, 'Mr. President, we can't do that right now because Pompeo hasn't been confirmed yet."

According to Maddow, Pompeo had in fact been confirmed at the time of the dinner in question but had not been sworn into office.

"[Trump] fired her when he gave an order to Mike Pompeo once, which he didn't do. Secretary Pompeo didn't fire her," Parnas explained. "Then Rudy [Giuliani] came back and [Trump] told him, 'Go speak to Pompeo." Rudy didn't speak to Pompeo."

"Then they had another meeting at the White House where he told [former national security adviser John] Bolton to fire her," Parnas continued. "Bolton didn't want to fire her. He told Pompeo to fire her. Rudy got into it with all of them."

Because he used criminal means and criminal goons to force her out in order to facilitate a criminal abuse of power (forcing Ukraine to "investigate" Biden), rather than wait for his croneys to do it legally.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I just don't see what Trump would have hoped to gain by assassinating the ambassador when he could just fire her.

Intimidating her into quitting, yes. But not actually killing her.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just don't see what Trump would have hoped to gain by assassinating the ambassador when he could just fire her.

If he believed his 2nd term depended on it, maybe. What has come out may help stop Trump from being re-elected.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe but it's hard for him to go around saying he didn't know who the ambassador or Parnas was when he has been caught on tape saying he wanted her out. And also there were messages of people following her.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands

The assassination plot might be a way to expedite her removal, just creating a credible threat that would force the State Department to act as they did in bringing her back to the US.

Yavonovitch testified under oath that she believes these measures, on top of the firing, were needed to quell dissenting voices within the administration. There is also the possibility that she was being positioned as a corrupt official helping Hunter Biden evade Ukrainian law later on. Trump could then later claim he didn't just replace her but threw her out as part of his anti-corruption crusade or whatever.

This narrative was never developed because the whistleblower came forward way before the election and that brought us to where we are today.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I think it's pretty unlikely Trump literally meant he wanted her assassinated. It seems far more likely he talks like that because he's a doofus. IMO immediately going to heavy accusations about Trump calling for hits comes off poorly and distracts.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
The Parnas tape is an hour long:

It is apparently the same one that ABC reported on... but Parnas was not the source for ABC according to his attorney. The leak this afternoon prompted Parnas to find his own recording.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's pretty unlikely Trump literally meant he wanted her assassinated. It seems far more likely he talks like that because he's a doofus. IMO immediately going to heavy accusations about Trump calling for hits comes off poorly and distracts.

He is telling this to people who have collectively been texting each other about trailing and intimidating and even talked about getting rid of her. In the end it doesn't even matter if he was joking in this conversation or not, THEY seem to take it as something more, people who have been around him since before his father died. His family has also been neck deep working with facets of the Russian mob over the years but nothing concrete to say he is working for them or with them. Anyone with that kind of history talking with those kind of people should NEVER be allowed to think it can be considered a joke.

Sota4077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I get the feeling if Trump doesn't get re-elected he is off to somewhere without an extradition treaty.

I've said that to a few people now. If he loses the election I think I could see him flying away in Marine one to Andrews or wherever they go. Then hop on his Trump plane to "go on a vacation after 4 brutally tough years" and then just sort of go off the grid for the next decade. Either that or he is real fucking ballsy and he comes back to run for another term in 2024.

game-biz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Trump was gonna have someone whacked (for his own personal reasons), well I think it'd almost be impossible for Trump to find anyone that (1) would even entertain this idea, (2) could actually pull it off and (3) would stay quite and/or lie (for Trump's benefit), no matter if they're captured or not.

At any rate, Trump suffers terribly from an enormous ego that ultimately does not serve him
well. He wanted Yovanovitch fired and humiliated. This happened with McCabe as well, although he did not freaking track him.

This behavior eventually just bites him in the ass. No legal repercussions, but juvenile, ugly behavior from a US President has the tendency to get people asking questions and here we are. At the very least it might help slow down Trump's political agenda somewhat.

Osu 16 Bit

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
If the full thing is "Get rid of her! Get her out tomorrow. Take her out. Do it." then it doesn't make sense as a request for murder. Who would say "Get her out tomorrow", that obviously means get her out of the job or position. Get rid of her and take her out sound like a hit, but you can't just ignore the other part. Again, what is more likely, he's ordering assassinations like this or he talks like a dumbass?

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
If the full thing is "Get rid of her! Get her out tomorrow. Take her out. Do it." then it doesn't make sense as a request for murder. Who would say "Get her out tomorrow", that obviously means get her out of the job or position. Get rid of her and take her out sound like a hit, but you can't just ignore the other part. Again, what is more likely, he's ordering assassinations like this or he talks like a dumbass?

Again he is talking to people who are on record as stalking her and being aware of her security detail, he isn't talking to people who have any legal authority to do anything about her other then to intimidate or kill her. THAT is the issue.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll let Amanda Carpenter (Who in this fucked up reality has become a voice of reason. Let THAT sink in) explain it.

Last edited:

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

to parnas?

Osu 16 Bit

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Who knows who he was specifically talking to, we hear the nonsensical way he speaks all the time, he was probably ranting into a void about who should fire her, not literally telling Parnas to do it. I am looking through this now and nobody seems to be saying it was Trump directly talking to Parnas. Even Parnas isn't saying this was a hit, it's that it's a recording of him demanding she be fired.

Again, IMO the focus should be on it backing up his claim and being another example of Trump lying about working with people.

steveovig

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, who really cares? None of this is going to be held against Trump and he won't be held accountable for jack squat. I'm being a little dramatic but really, this won't matter to the 40+% of voters who are going to vote this guy in again.