• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On election night, Hasan Piker, 29, was dressed in a navy blue "Bernie 2020" sweatshirt and a "Democracy Now!" baseball hat when he plopped down in a chair to address his digital audience.

"I told you guys like a hundred times that places in the Rust Belt have a lot of mail-in ballots they're not counting immediately," he said. "What you're seeing right now is incomplete data!" The words that followed were peppered with expletives.

Since then, Mr. Piker, a progressive political commentator known for his frenetic onscreen presence, has been the most-watched streamer on Twitch. He spent more than 80 hours this week in front of his camera, with tons of tabs open on his computer, reading out news and providing analysis for his left-leaning millennial and Gen Z followers. Many say they find his candid, slightly chaotic style more relatable than that of buttoned-up cable news anchors.

"Everywhere you went on the internet, accelerated by Fox News, the left was seen as hysterical, emotional, blue-haired social justice warriors," he said. "They turned the concept of fighting for social justice into something negative."

"'SJW' is considered a pejorative," he added, referring to the abbreviation of the term "social justice warrior." "That's crazy to me. The thing is, those people have a righteous cause, they have the right to be emotional and frustrated, but unfortunately, the right has been able to create a very successful narrative."

Sara Clemens, Twitch's chief operating officer, said Mr. Piker's stream was one example of how Twitch has diversified its content beyond video games over the past year. She said his stream reached Twitch's "core" viewership: millennials and Gen Z."It's a really powerful way to engage with that audience," Ms. Clemens said.

More at the link!

www.nytimes.com

How Hasan Piker Took Over Twitch (Published 2020)

The 29-year-old progressive political commentator has risen to the top of the platform after 80-plus hours of live election coverage.

Last edited:

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For those wondering where the left's answer to Ben Shabibo, Rubin, and Peterson, etc are, well it's starting with this dude.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
He's a big man.

I started watching him a few months ago when his clips started to pop up on my Youtube feed. Really like the guy, he's ridiculously entertaining.

For those wondering where the left's answer to Ben Shabibo, Rubin, and Peterson, etc are, well it's starting with this dude.

Yep, absolutely. I think the fact that he's already streamed with AOC means he only gets bigger from here on out.

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
100k+ viewers on election night, 43k now

pretty great growth

how long until someone comments on how hot he is though

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
His no nonsense calling out and use of memes is probably going to make him a strong force for the left. Usually on social media, the left is more interested in analytical videos and examination. Not many people straight up going in on Trump copium.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing him react to news and tweets was surely more entertaining than seeing CNN en Español anchors going: "OKAY WE'RE GOING TO EXPLAIN HOW THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE WORKS. AGAIN".

Earned a sub right away.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dude's literally older than I am, but I still feel ancient trying to watch his stream.

It's a no from me dog but good for him, worse ways to get rich and famous.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I enjoy Twitch, but the Twitch format for covering elections is not my thing. I tuned into his stream for a few and couldn't get into it.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I watch a lot of Hasan's content, and it is rad to see this type of growth. I did a 30 hour shift here between Tuesday and Wednesday last week (I had a nap and a few breaks). I had Hasan on the background for most of his Tuesday's stream, and then caught a lot of his Wednesday stream too. It was quite a day.
You're such a big man, Hasan.
He's a deranged pervert.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I mean he's not bad looking at all
I had never heard of him until someone mentioned him in the Election OT and I tuned in every night of his coverage.

I mean he do look good...

-Valak-

Oct 22, 2020
I started watching his stream about a month ago. It's pretty entertaining. I like when he has guests on.

Deleted member 13015

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish Twitch wasn't such a toxic, childish environment. I'd watch him more if it didn't involve the chat and the Twitch community.

Good for him and I'm glad he's exposing so many people to the more progressive side of politics.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Twitch wasn't such a toxic, childish environment. I'd watch him more if it didn't involve the chat and the Twitch community.

Good for him and I'm glad he's exposing so many people to the more progressive side of politics.

It's all part of the fun. Watching him yell at 14-year-olds is half of the appeal, lol.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

The chat isnt that bad. Theyre mostly all a bunch of memers. Its actually one of the better twitch chats out there. Besides without the chat there wouldnt be any little pet chuds to dunk on. And he do be dunking on them all the time.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017

Pretty much. I've watched him before and find his commentary to be entertaining on occasion, but man, just seeing that chat spam random crap at 1000x a min...

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I really need to get more into Twitch - maybe he will be my avenue in!

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
He's a bit too memey for my tastes but he's a great force for the Left to have in the online social media environment. Terrific counterweight to the likes of Shapiro and Crowder, his presence is welcome.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan

His stream is great, his chat might be one of the worst on the platform (not because it's toxic, but because it moves a mile a second and is filled with spam)

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
The left needs to elevate more media personalities that push good progressive politics online because the right just dominates the online space and radio broadcasts. Everyone of note on liberal leaning tv networks waffles and yields so much to the center they are practically useless.

If anyone is new to Twitch and wants to start watching his broadcast a little then make sure you download BBTV for your browser. It will enable you to follow the chat better. I have his stream on in the background like a podcast mostly though.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny thinking about how streamers who at their peak got like 1/10th as many viewers as Hasan used to constantly try to push him to put on that whole detached internet guy persona. Begging him to stop yelling at his chat to treat him like a human being, etc. I dunno, looks like there's a large audience for streamers who don't put on a sociopathic mask over everything they do.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
"took over Twitch"? He's following the same trajectory as anyone who hit a big part of their content in that he peaked and slowly falling. Can he retain it? Most likely not. So, as the OP title suggests: he did not take over Twitch. In fact, people are starting to tune into XQC more and that's not the greatest spot for politic coverage.

I suspect it will get even lower considering Twitch has a more conservative base than anything, or people believe they are progressive but they enjoy the humor of problematic individuals.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
"took over Twitch"? He's following the same trajectory as anyone who hit a big part of their content in that he peaked and slowly falling. Can he retain it? Most likely not. So, as the OP title suggests: he did not take over Twitch. In fact, people are starting to tune into XQC more and that's not the greatest spot for politic coverage.
it's the title of the NYT article. to you get a kick out of being so insufferable?

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Hasan is amazing. Best stream on Twitch right now and it's refreshing to have someone like him on the left.

Also, his emotes are fucking hilarious.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017

I suspect it will get even lower considering Twitch has a more conservative base than anything, or people believe they are progressive but they enjoy the humor of problematic individuals.

What a weird take, of course he peaked with the election but a look at the numbers shows a clear growth in the last 6-12 months.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
it's the title of the NYT article. to you get a kick out of being so insufferable?
What do you want me to say? The day Joe Biden was confirmed as President his viewers has dropped day after day. Where it will land is up to whoever sticks around. The point is he didn't actually take over Twitch. That's like like "Twitch Plays X" took over Twitch. It didn't cause it fizzled pretty fast.

I think a lot of people are hyping the progressive movement on Twitch a whole lot and don't fully realize the bigger players on Twitch. Yes, Hasan got a lot of viewers but he didn't even crack some psycho-loud-mouth returning to League of Legends or a man (Sodapoppon) who really doesn't even like anything outside male and female watching YouTube videos for donations.

We need to keep things in perspective and understand that Twitch has a long, long way to go.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
What do you want me to say? The day Joe Biden was confirmed as President his viewers has dropped day after day. Where it will land is up to whoever sticks around. The point is he didn't actually take over Twitch. That's like like "Twitch Plays X" took over Twitch. It didn't cause it fizzled pretty fast.

I think a lot of people are hyping the progressive movement on Twitch a whole lot and don't fully realize the bigger players on Twitch. Yes, Hasan got a lot of viewers but he didn't even crack some psycho-loud-mouth returning to League of Legends or a man (Sodapoppon) who really doesn't even like anything outside male and female watching YouTube videos for donations.

We need to keep things in perspective and understand that Twitch has a long, long way to go.
People generally don't like it when you rain on the hype. Applies to almost any personality or product.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
He used to be happy with 5k viewers during game time, now he's maintaining 20-25k and that's still a drop off from where he normally is 40-50k the past few weeks, it's crazy how big his channel has gotten.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess the Twitch generation wants their own millennial unqualified taking heads rather than the Gen X / Boomer unqualified ones on cable news. I respect that.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
I am glad that he uploads his videos to Youtube for us oldies who are scared of the twitch.