• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why does the US have all these bio labs in foreign countries anyway, why not have them in the US?

Sigh.

Every substantially developed nation has biological labs to study diseases. Not 'USA labs', just fucking labs.

Not weaponization labs. Just fucking science.

Goddamn it, think.

The hypocricy is utterly staggering and the sole reason why I don't take this moral superiority approach of the west vs. Russia seriously.

That's a really bad take and a form of whataboutism. Russia is objectively wrong in invading Ukraine.

YaoGuia

Banned
Jan 19, 2021
Sigh.

Every substantially developed nation has biological labs to study diseases. Not 'USA labs', just fucking labs.

Goddamn it, think.

It was a genuine question that didn't warrant that sort of response.

And you didn't answer the question anyway, the US has a lot of US-funded labs in other countries, why not have those jobs in the US?

Mopr3me

Banned
Jan 10, 2022
That's a really bad take and a form of whataboutism. Russia is objectively wrong in invading Ukraine.

I edited my post so it doesn't appear I'm codoning the invasion, I agree that Russia is objectively wrong. You can agree with that though and still condemn the hypocricy of the west in the sanctioning of misinformation and propaganda.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

And you didn't answer the question anyway, the US has a lot of US-funded labs in other countries, why not have those jobs in the US?

Ah yes the real problem is my insensitive response.

'US funded labs' exist around the world because new strains and variants spawn around the world and not just here. You don't fucking wait until something is on your shores to get a leg up on protecting the global population. That's one of the reasons we were able to help the world's response to Ebola. We have to work together across the globe.

JFC.

We literally need more of this. Trump's defunding of our global response is one of the reasons we were slow to help mount effective strategies to countering motherfucking COVID-19.

None of this has to do with biological warfare which is what the conspiracists are touting to their ignorant followers.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg

You switched from "US Labs" to "US-funded labs" hella quick and with zero acknowledgement of the fact that the US funds research all around the world as do many other western powers. If you find that nefarious or unfair for US researchers, maybe you can explain to us why you are just now stumbling across this fact if you ostensibly care about the topic enough to ask topics in a thread on resetera but not enough to have googled any of this before this moment?

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017

This was a very easy Google search: "US Foreign Research Lab Grants"

NIAID issues grant awards to institutions in foreign countries if the proposed research meets the following criteria:

• It includes talent, resources, populations, or environmental conditions not in the U.S. or that augment U.S. resources.
  • It is relevant to the NIAID mission.
  • It is not being done in the United States.
There are diseases endemic to Ukraine that may not have as much research in the US. As a globally visited country, it is also important to the US that preventable diseases don't spread.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
I edited my post so it doesn't appear I'm codoning the invasion, I agree that Russia is objectively wrong. You can agree with that though and still condemn the hypocricy of the west in the sanctioning of misinformation and propaganda.

Fox News is not a state news source. And they are constitutionally protected because of that.

May 24, 2019
Their business is being on the contrarian side of anything. It's not about belief (other than maybe the viewers' belief in what they say)

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There are diseases endemic to Ukraine that may not have as much research in the US. As a globally visited country, it is also important to the US that preventable diseases don't spread.

"Isn't it a problem that the USA doesn't limit its biological research to its own soil" is some galaxy fucking brain just-asking-questions bullshit and everyone here not a fucking stooge or patsy or 'useful' can see right the fuck through it.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
But…why? Even with an ideology of wanting Russia's government crackdowns in liberal mindsets, it would degrade the very purpose of an America that Republicans live so much. It won't be just Republican with a Russian filter, it'll be literally Kremlin 2.0. How on earth does that tick the box for many Republicans that they would demand everyone just take a step back and maybe forgive Russia for attacking?

American patriotism can be crazy ironic at times.
Don't listen to anyone on this site that believes the conservatives pushing these theories want to turn the US into Russia. Because they don't. What these conservatives do see is a convenient partner who share the same goal…to weaken the current administration for political gain or higher television ratings. They care not for any political ideology. If Biden suddenly became pro-Russia, Tucker would just as suddenly move to Ukraine's bandwagon. This is all about gaining power and money. No more, no less.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
What I'm seeing here is that Tucker's hand is so deep in that Russian cookie jar that even with the writing on the wall he feels he's better off doubling down than trying to cut and run along with everyone with any sense.

The Putin-bought skeletons in his closet must be something else.

Gaucho Power

alt account
Banned
Feb 10, 2021

It's interesting to see house of Fox so divided on this issue. I'm actually surprised there is even a division, considering it seems like many of Murdoch's rags are openly against Putin (well, at least WSJ and Dailymail). But I guess it's all about money, long as Tucker brings dollars in he can spout anything he wants.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly of all the crazy conspiracy theories and Russian propaganda, this wouldn't surprise me if it turned out to be true .

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Sigh.

Goddamn it, think.

I would say every nation with at least one university has one. You need biosafety level 2, possibly even 3 (out of 4) to work with milk and analyze it, because milk can go bad. It's full of microbes and they can get pathogenic and become airborne, because milk is a liquid and airborne pathogens are one of the biggest risks to infect someone. Also, everyone spreads all kinds of diseases in the environment, and you want to protect your specimens from human interference so they don't die. Hence, the need for such a lab.
I would guess that every McDonald's in the world is more dangerous than literally 99,5% of all bio labs, even in industrial production scale.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I would say every nation with at least one university has one. You need biosafety level 2, possibly even 3 (out of 4) to work with milk and analyze it, because milk can go bad. It's full of microbes and they can get pathogenic and become airborne, because milk is a liquid and airborne pathogens are one of the biggest risks to infect someone. Also, everyone spreads all kinds of diseases in the environment, and you want to protect your specimens from human interference so they don't die. Hence, the need for such a lab.
I would guess that every McDonald's in the world is more dangerous than literally 99,5% of all bio labs, even in industrial production scale.

My partner does research on painting with bacteria. She uses a level 2 "lab". You can literally build your own level 2 lab with household appliances.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Ugh, of course Fucker Carlson is in on it. Anything to make a dollar. Then when he gets caught he cries that he is just "a character" and it is an "opinion piece" to weasel out of responsibility. Dude would sell his family to slavery if it meant a dollar.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Don't listen to anyone on this site that believes the conservatives pushing these theories want to turn the US into Russia. Because they don't. What these conservatives do see is a convenient partner who share the same goal…to weaken the current administration for political gain or higher television ratings. They care not for any political ideology. If Biden suddenly became pro-Russia, Tucker would just as suddenly move to Ukraine's bandwagon. This is all about gaining power and money. No more, no less.
Oh that is most definitely obvious, heck I see it a ton here in Australia. Murdoch press has swung in the opposite direction to fire back at ScoMo because he is polling horribly and has mishandled every single disaster we have had under his belt. The people hate him, and in that the Murdoch press hate him too because they want to control what the hivemind think. Purely because, if they control the narrative, they control the purchase mindset and the power of the country. It is disgusting and yet oddly intriguing that we have let these moguls become so powerful.
Honestly of all the crazy conspiracy theories and Russian propaganda, this wouldn't surprise me if it turned out to be true .
Don't do this to yourself. None of these conspiracies are legitimate in any fashion, and they instead hurt legitimate science research.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Stop

This is literally playing into exactly what they want with their propaganda

It's not to convince you it's absolutely true(though if they can, great!), it's to make you think it's plausible and allow that to muddy the conversation and allow people to both sides and downplay the negativity toward Russia.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Same, but also it doesn't really matter and can't be confirmed so it's put in the back with the rest until we have more info personally.

This is such a propagandized time that IMO being certain on anything except the justness of Ukraine's right to survive is up in the air for me. I wouldn't be surprised by any reversal of things "known to be true" until like 10 years after this whole thing ends.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Same, but also it doesn't really matter and can't be confirmed so it's put in the back with the rest until we have more info personally.

This is such a propagandized time that IMO being certain on anything except the justness of Ukraine's right to survive is up in the air for me. I wouldn't be surprised by any reversal of things "known to be true" until like 10 years after this whole thing ends.
Have you bothered to even interrogate this allegation in the slightest? People "feeling" their way to believing things is literally how fake news proliferates, how shit like the OP and Russian propaganda finds lifeblood beyond their captured audience and muddies the reality of events.

That you are aware how much disinformation is out there and you are still doing it is disappointing.

www.bbc.com

Ukraine war: Fact-checking Russia's biological weapons claims

The BBC finds no evidence for Russian claims that Ukraine is developing biological weapons with US support.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
This is projection from Russia about chemical weapons. They probably intend to use them on Ukraine soldiers and civilians or do a false flag on their own citizens. I have no idea what these right wingers think they will gain from spouting Putins lies.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who believes the Kremlin propaganda, please stop. This is all bullshit and you are doing exactly what Putin wants.

Kemiko

Oct 5, 2018
This is projection from Russia about chemical weapons. They probably intend to use them on Ukraine soldiers and civilians or do a false flag on their own citizens. I have no idea what these right wingers think they will gain from spouting Putins lies.

What they gain is the continued grift. Covid conspiracy is no longer the hot topic, neither is election fraud. They move from topic to topic and spread increasingly crazy lies in order to constantly remain relevant in their circles.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
When Mark Levin of all people tells conservatives to stop parroting these nutty conspiracies, you know you've done something wrong.

AzureJet

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Before this thread goes any further, let me ask this: Why is Russia so concerned about labs now? I thought this was about "denazification"? Or was that a BS excuse like saying that Ukraine isn't a legal country?

There's no argument that can be made here, because this is literally grasping for straws at this point. If Russia was so concerned about the labs, they should have made that clear before the invasion.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Nice glad there's a thread for this, I posted the Tulsi + Glenn Greenwald thing in US PoliEra, especially following Tucker about 24 hours before. I think there's more than a coincidence that Kremlin propagandists start pushing this conspiracy theory and then Greenwald, Tulsi, Tucker, all take it up almost simultaneously.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

You know things are bad when I find myself agreeing with Romney.

You can also see the social media bubble in this too, like I had seen some similar comments about Tulsi by other commentators, and most of the replies were along the same line. Clicking into Romney's replies you're opened to this crazy right wing twitter of Trump apologists and Putin defenders. Weird criticism from 50 years ago of Romney supporting the Vietnam draft (...?) and bizarre irrelevant non-sequiturs.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Before this thread goes any further, let me ask this: Why is Russia so concerned about labs now? I thought this was about "denazification"? Or was that a BS excuse like saying that Ukraine isn't a legal country?

There's no argument that can be made here, because this is literally grasping for straws at this point. If Russia was so concerned about the labs, they should have made that clear before the invasion.
They will claim they discovered whole plot after invasion. And if/when they use chemical weapons they will claim that it was those secret labs, not them.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain to me what happened to Tulsi? Like, has she been diagnosed with anything post-military service?

She seems completely insane but I don't remember her always being this way.

She wasn't paid attention to on the left, so she decided to take the Dave Rubin route of getting money and attention. The reason she is being so successful at it is because people on the right like to use her as a "the left is so bad!" example.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Have you bothered to even interrogate this allegation in the slightest? People "feeling" their way to believing things is literally how fake news proliferates, how shit like the OP and Russian propaganda finds lifeblood beyond their captured audience and muddies the reality of events.

That you are aware how much disinformation is out there and you are still doing it is disappointing.

www.bbc.com

Ukraine war: Fact-checking Russia's biological weapons claims

The BBC finds no evidence for Russian claims that Ukraine is developing biological weapons with US support.

The problem, under what I assume is that poster's logic is that media "fact check" that basically comes from "the other side" isn't totally trust worthy. It's war time, I doubt that BBC or NYT would come saying that the US has weapons biolabs while there's a Russian invasion. The consequences of such a story would be disastrous.

I'm really confused about all of this from what I've been reading, including the BBC source, so there was/are biolabs backed/funded by the US in Ukraine, that aren't weapons, but they're still sensitive? and so that's been used as propaganda to say that there are weapons labs?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
She wasn't paid attention to on the left, so she decided to take the Dave Rubin route of getting money and attention. The reason she is being so successful at it is because people on the right like to use her as a "the left is so bad!" example.
Hmm. I see. And I guess now she just makes the rounds on shows like this since she's no longer a Congresswoman?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The problem, under what I assume is that poster's logic is that media "fact check" that basically comes from "the other side" isn't totally trust worthy. It's war time, I doubt that BBC or NYT would come saying that the US has weapons biolabs while there's a Russian invasion. The consequences of such a story would be disastrous.

I'm really confused about all of this from what I've been reading, including the BBC source, so there was/are biolabs backed/funded by the US in Ukraine, that aren't weapons, but they're still sensitive? and so that's been used as propaganda to say that there are weapons labs?
the us doesn't have bioweapon labs because bioweapons are fucking stupid and fundamentally uncontrollable by their very nature. Nobody has bioweapon labs because nobody actually wants to use bioweapons

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
the us doesn't have bioweapon labs because bioweapons are fucking stupid and fundamentally uncontrollable by their very nature. Nobody has bioweapon labs because nobody actually wants to use bioweapons

Sure, what I'm asking is that there are or were labs of other nature and their existence is used as propaganda, or did I read wrong?

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
my brother (we are both German) keeps sending me shit about this.
i always instantly delete any links, videos, pics or whatever he sends me
yesterday he sent some link with a headline like "US bioweapons caused the war in ukraine" and added his own message "the US has been a plague on the world for over 100 years now! they need to be stopped and Russia can do it!"
I am just shaking my head at all this

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
It was only a matter of time until conservatives found a way to be contrarians with this war. They simply can't agree with the "other side" about anything. So tiring. Makes me wonder what would happen if 9/11 happened during this time.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
my brother (we are both German) keeps sending me shit about this.
i always instantly delete any links, videos, pics or whatever he sends me
yesterday he sent some link with a headline like "US bioweapons caused the war in ukraine" and added his own message "the US has been a plague on the world for over 100 years now! they need to be stopped and Russia can do it!"
I am just shaking my head at all this

Ask him if it pays well to be Russian shill, because if he's doing it for free he's dumb as fuck.