• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
After failing repeatedly in court to overturn election results, President Trump is taking the extraordinary step of reaching out directly to Republican state legislators as he tries to subvert the Electoral College process, inviting Michigan lawmakers to meet with him at the White House on Friday.

Mr. Trump contacted the Republican majority leader in the Michigan State Senate to issue the invitation, according to a person briefed on the invitation. It is not clear how many Michigan lawmakers will be making the trip to Washington, nor precisely what Mr. Trump plans to say to the lawmakers.

The White House invitation to Republican lawmakers in a battleground state comes as the Trump campaign has been seeking to overturn the results of the election in multiple states through lawsuits and intrusions into the state vote certification process, and as Mr. Trump himself has reached out personally to at least one election official in Michigan, a Wayne County canvass board member, Monica Palmer.

www.nytimes.com

Presidential Transition: Georgia Completes Full Recount, Reaffirming Biden’s Win (Published 2020)

The Georgia secretary of state’s office confirmed the results after six days of hand counting, as president Trump also sought to insert himself into vote-counting in Michigan. And Mitt Romney characterized President Trump’s maneuvering as an attempt to “overturn the election.”

Stage a coup if old.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Pathetic.

Oh and I believe the word they were looking for was "steal."

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Joe Biden better focus on codifying laws and election security in his 4 years, because he definitely won't get a second term if blatant shenanigans are left to fester.

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty hooked into politics but this has got me scratching my head a little bit. What exactly can be accomplished with the Michigan lawmakers that could change election results?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
200.gif

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is all so disgraceful.

I'm really not too worried about the results, just more about the precedent and what it will invite from the crazies.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
but guys, we need unity and to interview the shy trump voters in Ohio for the thousandth time so we can UNDERSTAND them.

I understand them just fucking fine.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
That is election interference which is a felony. Once hes out he can be arrested and tried for this.

What a fucking idiot.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm pretty hooked into politics but this has got me scratching my head a little bit. What exactly can be accomplished with the Michigan lawmakers that could change election results?
From my understanding of the situation, states have a certain amount of time to certify the results of the vote. If they fail to do so, it goes to the state's Senate to essentially decide who wins the state, regardless of the vote.

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017
The hope is that they'll refuse to certify the results, throw out the vote, and then have the (Republican) state legislature appoint their own set of electors, who would naturally vote for Trump.

It should be noted that the Republican leadership in MI has said that they will respect the will of the popular vote.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why would you even attend.

Even if they do, what is going to do, threaten them?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They won't overrule their state's vote and the loser needs a lot more than just Michigan

Still dangerous though

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
From my understanding of the situation, states have a certain amount of time to certify the results of the vote. If they fail to do so, it goes to the state's Senate to essentially decide who wins the state, regardless of the vote.
The hope is that they'll refuse to certify the results, throw out the vote, and then have the (Republican) state legislature appoint their own set of electors, who would naturally vote for Trump.

It should be noted that the Republican leadership in MI has said that they will respect the will of the popular vote.

This makes sense, thank you for the clarification.

Protein

Oct 27, 2017
Rona: "Those are some nice lungs there. Would be a shame if something happened to them."

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
With a Democratic governor and secretary of state, good luck with that. It will be certified correctly. Also, any lawmaker that agrees with this 'plan' should be sent straight to jail.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Republicans say a lot of things. Not that I think Trump is going to succeed in the end. But, it is terrifying that we have a president so openly corrupt. These next two months are going to be long.

JHoNNy1OoO

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
If by some miracle Democrats gain majority in the Senate they need to go scorched earth on preserving our democracy. Remove filibuster and go ham on passing laws where "norms" used to get the job done. We're a freaking boiling frog at this point if nothing is done.

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017
Republicans say a lot of things. Not that I think Trump is going to succeed in the end. But, it is terrifying that we have a president so openly corrupt. These next two months are going to be long.
It should also be noted that they're bound by law to select electors that reflect the popular vote. But Trump's plan is to try to get them to declare the election tainted, or just throw out Wayne County.

game-biz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LOL

Whatever. Biden won the election and will be named president. Trump is definitely trying to keep his base loyal though with all these shenanigans. He is definitely going to try to be a stone in Biden's shoe in next few years. It'll be interesting to see how successful Trump will be at that. Hopefully he'll be too busy facing lawsuits.