• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
there is a ignore function you know. if you hate their shitposting, either deal with it, or ignore the user posting it. there are legitimate concerns for many on the left eager to push Biden to be more Progressive.

Sure, but complaining on threads about drone strikes and "war criminals" when these positions have nothing to do with that is just pointless and derailing.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Sound like solid choices, though echoing others ICE needs to be razed to the ground and its duties shuffled into other Agencies. Since that's unlikely to happen, at least needs some proper oversight and a deep dive investigation into all the horrors it and its members are responsible for.

DHS needs an immense overhaul as well. It was a rushed reactionary creation in the first place and needs reform.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
In the first five minutes of this thread, the following posts were made:

This thread is about the head of Intelligence and the Department of Homeland Security, which each have little to no bearing on drone strikes. Great criticisms! I would absolutely consider that reductive as fuck and not valid constructive criticism of the topic on hand.
What is the criticism then? There hasn't been a single post in this thread criticizing the merits or policy positions of these picks.

because the criticism isn't over anyone's policy positions. the "policy position" of whoever heads the dhs is a foregone conclusion. what IS being criticized and mocked here is some people's absurd notion that anyone being picked for this ghoulish job deserves praise. the dhs is evil, and the only way to improve it is to dismantle it. that wouldn't happen day one even in a dream administration, of course, but i would hope liberals would at least have the common sense to at the very least not applaud a dhs nomination. there is no merit to any pick.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
It is weird to me that people don't know John Kerry engineered the Paris accords. You guys think Obama wrote that himself? lol

Kerry is arguably the greatest secretary of state we've had in many decades.
Kerry's tenure is a bit mixed. Yes, the Pairs accords were a landmark achievement, but he also oversaw the deterioration in Syria. To be fair, I don't think it would have been possible to salvage a "desireable" outcome there, but there's no doubt the Obama administration was caught off guard on Syria and seemed to lack a focus, with plenty of mistakes made.

But yeah, Kerry was a better SoS than many, many others who've held that title, imo.

Absolutely agree with this. There's a time and place for everything, but dropping into unrelated threads and trying to criticize these people for drone strikes that they will have no involvement in is just pointless. I hope the mods step in because I actually do want to discuss the positions/experience of these people.
National Security positions have nothing to do with Drone Strikes? What?

Again, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Biden's appointments to more or less be in line with his world view and policy inclinations.

If these appointments support policies/reforms that break from Biden's own positions, I'd be very interested in hearing that.

Deleted member 83122

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 15, 2020
I'm really not sure what some people around here expect. You can't very well lob bombs into these massive bureaucracies and systems and hope for the best. There's too many moving parts, too much on the line, and too many to coordinate and get on the same page. Changing America is like turning a massive trailer. You don't want to jacknife that shit because too much is on the line and that's just not how the system works. You need people who have experience in the systems so that they're credible and knowledgeable about how to even change them in the first place! You need someone that would know the repercussions, and someone credible enough to lead through those. There are too many fires to put out to worry about creating another one.

And that's not even accounting for the fact that these are all senate confirmed positions. Picks likely need to go through Mitch McConnell most likely and even in an absolute best case scenario they'd still need to be voted for by red state democrats.

These look on a surface level like pretty good picks for just that sort of job. They need to regain credibility, rebuild these institutions, and lead to progress.
Damn good post, I'm all for diversity and these picks need to go through quite a bit of Republican vetting. I'm not sure purity tests apply here after the last four years of the mind-boggling upheaval of the traditional processes. We need professional anything at the moment, and Biden will hopefully bring that with his position. Also, thanks to the Mods, this is not easy for you guys and I appreciate your time.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a good pick.

This forum is just a straight up turd sometimes and this topic is a prime example.

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
I'm so out of the loop -- can someone briefly describe what these drone strike posts are about? I'm aware that the Obama administration has been criticized for the role drone strikes played in killing innocents but what does that have to do with the incoming Biden administration?
Strategic bombing has been a cornerstone of US foreign intervention since the Vietnam War. Many of these bombings have been conducted in territories that the US is not actively at war with and have often targeted civilian centers and infrastructure based on nebulous intelligence, resulting in catastrophic loss of life. As the technology has improved, first via missiles, "smart" bombs, and recently drones, these bombing campaigns have increasingly reduced the risk to American personnel and materiel and decreased the political cost of carrying them out.

Since the beginning of the war on Terror, the scope of the US drone war has increased every year regardless of the party in power, and every President has authorized attacks that many consider to be war crimes and even terrorism due to the specific targeting of civilians, often in places that the US is not at war with.

Biden has shown no signs that he would stop this policy and so many posters are signalling their disdain for the hypocrisy of supposedly more peaceful adminstrations that continue a campaign of illegal terror with as much vigor as their Republican counterparts.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Sound like solid choices, though echoing others ICE needs to be razed to the ground and its duties shuffled into other Agencies.

DHS needs an immense overhaul as well. It was a rushed reactionary creation in the first place.
Our immigration system in general needs a top to bottom overhaul, including enforcement. It seems like the legislative white whale, though...something almost got passed in 2013 IIRC but John Boehner declined to bring to the House floor, even though it had bipartisan support and he knew it would pass.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well I'm not sure any kind of organizational change will get the goons in ICE and CBP to ever stop thinking about immigration as a vehicle for terrorism. I do think there's probably value in breaking up DHS. To the extent that it was supposed to be consolidating intelligence and control, it seems to have basically just overwhelmed and bloated the bureaucracy responsible for these functions.
ICE was created in the same bill that created DHS and we can and should disband it too (it has a couple of useful functions that should be rolled back to their original departments, but I really think america can survive without the "papers please" secret police.
As for CBP, we need some sort of border and custom officials, but I think if we strip them of their their duty and legal right to search people inside the US borders then they're mostly fine.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of people not realizing that unless we win both Georgia runoffs, McConnell has veto power over these nominations, so you aren't going to get people who are openly very progressive in these spots. With Trump messing up the transition you need experienced folks in all these positions.

Also breaking up DHS would require a law being passed.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Is the word "ghoulish" currently up on the flavor of the week printout or something?

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
I don't know Kerry's climate bona fides but having a seat on the NSC for climate is great.

My major gripe would be the way addressing climate change is almost always couched in marshal and militaristic language. It's always framed as a threat to be mitigated and defended against, not fucking solved. And from a National security perspective, the focus is always on "how can we protect US assets and capital", while still continuing the activities that hasten the problem to begin with.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Are these senate-confirmed positions? If so, Biden's choices might be somewhat limited.

I'm glad climate change will get a more prominent role.

game-biz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank god that Biden is choosing qualified individuals. Such a nice change of pace.

Also, christ the trolling on that first page is so cringe. Enough with the shitposting.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Kerry's tenure is a bit mixed. Yes, the Pairs accords were a landmark achievement, but he also oversaw the deterioration in Syria. To be fair, I don't think it would have been possible to salvage a "desireable" outcome there, but there's no doubt the Obama administration was caught off guard on Syria and seemed to lack a focus, with plenty of mistakes made.

But yeah, Kerry was a better SoS than many, many others who've held that title, imo.
I think Kerry was generally not aligned with some of Obama's maneuvers on Syria, though did carry them out since ultimately he was the boss. To the extent that the Syrian civil war was happening under Kerry's tenure (though didn't start; it began while Hillary was SoS) then yeah, Kerry oversaw the deterioration of Syria and certainly didn't resolve that situation! But like you, I'm not sure what desirable outcome there is there. Diplomacy failed, there is no appetite for military intervention (and no guarantee that wouldn't also be a failure). Obama's red line ultimatum was a mistake, though Kerry was still able to leverage it to force Assad into surrendering a lot of chemical weapons so maybe it wasn't, though clearly Assad still had some reserves of gas leftover so maybe it still was. I don't know. I feel sort of similarly to Afghanistan, where there is clearly no good ideas left to do about short of just up and leaving the country, but at the same time that shouldn't be an excuse for any SecDef overseeing that war either.

In any event, Kerry's new job is entirely climate focused lol. So the part of his SoS record that would be germane here is relievingly good.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018

voicing disdain for the U.S's drone strike program and history of war crimes is not shitposting. And I'm okay with the choices Biden is doing, but that does not mean others aren't.

ICE was created in the same bill that created DHS and we can and should disband it too (it has a couple of useful functions that should be rolled back to their original departments, but I really think america can survive without the "papers please" secret police.
As for CBP, we need some sort of border and custom officials, but I think if we strip them of their their duty and legal right to search people inside the US borders then they're mostly fine.

Eh, while DHS needs to be disbanded, I do want immigrant enforcement and border patrol isolated to one agency each assigned to the task, simply cause it makes it easier to identify federal personnel operating under the mission of deportation, and two, it would make it easier to target for reform or cuts, and three, in the case of say a violent criminal who needs to be deported, you need a agency to handle taking custody of them federally from local or state entities.

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't like people's opinions you can just label those opinions drive-by trolling. :)

EDIT:

I understand some of the posts on the first page, but the alternative is to not put PoC and women in positions of power. So.

This is good news. Moreso that actual qualified people will be in these roles, unlike the current administration.
The choice doesn't seem to be whether or not you choose a PoC or woman for a position of power.

The choice seems to be to not mention our warmongering ways when people are trying to celebrate the latest appointee to the warmongering post, or get banned.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
I understand some of the posts on the first page, but the alternative is to not put PoC and women in positions of power. So.

This is good news. Moreso that actual qualified people will be in these roles, unlike the current administration.

Aug 12, 2019
Lots of people not realizing that unless we win both Georgia runoffs, McConnell has veto power over these nominations, so you aren't going to get people who are openly very progressive in these spots. With Trump messing up the transition you need experienced folks in all these positions.

Also breaking up DHS would require a law being passed.

Just install acting Department heads, it's what Trump did for years even with a Republican Senate. Dems can either learn to fight or continue whining the system is unfair and not take the few actions within their power to do so. Normalcy is already out the window and there is no returning to it, Dems can either figure their shit out or continue bleeding support as a collective party in regards to fighting back against Republicans who are clearly not only fine with violating every norm, but are actively encouraging it. There is nothing to be gained from taking the high road any longer.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Hey I'm not arguing against it, just noting that the cultural inertia of the rank and file across these agencies won't disappear overnight, or maybe ever.

Are these senate-confirmed positions? If so, Biden's choices might be somewhat limited.

I'm glad climate change will get a more prominent role.
Kerry's climate czar role would not require Senate confirmation. The rest do.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
because the criticism isn't over anyone's policy positions. the "policy position" of whoever heads the dhs is a foregone conclusion. what IS being criticized and mocked here is some people's absurd notion that anyone being picked for this ghoulish job deserves praise. the dhs is evil, and the only way to improve it is to dismantle it. that wouldn't happen day one even in a dream administration, of course, but i would hope liberals would at least have the common sense to at the very least not applaud a dhs nomination. there is no merit to any pick.
That's a valid point, but it doesn't make sense here because none of these takes were made in response to other people's reactions. Who's applauding these picks? No one here thinks that these picks will solve our problems, no one thinks they're ideal, they're just miles better than what we've had for the last 4 years.

Oct 25, 2017
How about we abolish the DHS, which is younger than almost everyone on this board instead.

lmao Mayorkas was a Cuban who moved to the US in '60. Of fucking course.

Wonder what his family was up to during the Batista regime.

they-say-the-next-ones-will-be-sent-by-a-9562107.png
We đź‘Ź need đź‘Ź more đź‘Ź women đź‘Ź drone đź‘Ź pilots đź‘Ź
Yep. Typical liberal nonsense to make symbolic moves for diversity while bombing brown people and imprisoning black people in your backyard.
Wow, now Hispanics like me can drone strike people in the Middle East! That's really inclusive.
So many little girls are going to grow up believing they too can be war criminals! ♥

What the hell is up with these bans? Not one of them was "drive by trolling; they were direct responses to the topic.

Oct 25, 2017
In the first five minutes of this thread, the following posts were made:

This thread is about the head of Intelligence and the Department of Homeland Security, which each have little to no bearing on drone strikes. Great criticisms! I would absolutely consider that reductive as fuck and not valid constructive criticism of the topic on hand.

Sorry I'll try to be more positive about a minority heading up a department created to spy on American Muslims after 9/11.

Yay for progress?

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
If you don't like people's opinions you can just label those opinions drive-by trolling. :)

EDIT:

The choice doesn't seem to be whether or not you choose a PoC or woman for a position of power.

The choice seems to be to not mention our warmongering ways when people are trying to celebrate the latest appointee to the warmongering post, or get banned.
Does that position inherently have to be "warmongering?" Who is to say it won't be different with a different perspective in the role?

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
The fifth column tries in vain to derail yet another thread, but will not sully the rightful next government of the US.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Shit post =/= criticism.

"The DHS needs to be dismantled, hiring a POC to oversee it does nothing for the issues that need to be adressed, here's what they are and why I believe so"

vs

"Now women can be war criminals too!"

I know it's hard to tell, but there actually is a difference between those two statements.

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
Sure, but complaining on threads about drone strikes and "war criminals" when these positions have nothing to do with that is just pointless and derailing.

I share your point. I also don't get how NOT hiring PoCs into this role is somehow better? (which is the implication when people come into these threads to make this point...).

I fear people on ResetERA can't seperate or have a nuanced conversation.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Nice to see half of era has already decided Biden and his administration are gonna be drinking the blood from the skulls of children they commit genocide on.

Frankly, I don't blame anyone for believing that is the de facto stance of the Biden administration. Historically, both Republicans and Democrats have waged war on foreign nations for generally no justifiable reason, and Biden was literally the 2nd-in-command of an administration that did just that. I'm optimistic that things will be different this time, but it would be completely unsurprising if drone strikes continue in the middle east.

EDIT: To be clear, I voted for Biden because he's a better choice than Trump. That doesn't mean that I'm blind to the track record of the administration in which he was VP.

Aug 12, 2019
Does that position inherently have to be "warmongering?" Who is to say it won't be different with a different perspective in the role?

The system itself is warmongering and there's zero indications of a true willingness to change or even confront that reality from anyone related to Biden. Remember, he's the "back to normal President", which means, nothing with fundamentally change relative to a few years ago.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
What the hell is up with these bans? Not one of them was "drive by trolling; they were direct responses to the topic.

The topic is about Biden's hires for DHS, DNI, and climate czar. The DNI does not execute drone strokes and the other two have nothing to do with drones period. A bunch of people just saw "intelligence" in the OP and jumped at that.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017

EDIT:

Nah. I actually agree with the viewpoint of some of the drive-bys (drone strike forever wars are fucked), but they're still drive-bys that do absolutely nothing to further discussion in a thread that was clearly made for some sort of substantiative discussion. This isn't Twitter.

Also I don't see folks celebrating beyond basic "phew, someone competent," which is understandable IMO after the past 4 years.

How about we abolish the DHS, which is younger than almost everyone on this board instead.
Haven't various polls shown that most people on ERA are in their 20s and 30s? DHS is 18 years old.

Also, abolishing DHS would take legislation, as explained earlier in the thread.

Oct 25, 2017
If these departments decide for the first time in their history to not murder and oppress brown people around the world (which they have been doing regardless of who is in power) then I'll have a different opinion. I haven't seen anything to suggest that's going to happen. Women and POC being in these positions is of course an improvement on the front of precedent for government appointments in general, but it indicates *precisely zero* about how they will be run.

People in this forum who have had family killed by Drones under Bush, Obama, Trump, etc are probably especially taken aback by those Yub Nubbing over this.

"Drive by" is a red herring to squash dissent. A flippant comment in support of the popular opinion here is just as "drive by" as any flippant comment by the people who have been banned.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
These "both sides are the same" drive-by posts remind me why Donald Trump was the president we deserved for the last four years.

I don't expect anybody to know much about Tony Blinken or Alejandro Mayorkas. You have to be really in the weeds to know much about them. But, if you don't know much about someone you aren't obligated to post hot takes about them. If you don't know who Alejandro Mayorkas is, there's nothing compelling you to say that he's going to bomb Arab (... how the Dept. of Homeland Security chief even does that is something I'm not aware of, but w/e). You can, actually, just wait and wait for people who do know a lot about these people to write articles about them, and then you can read those articles.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
It was created in 2002, it was hastily made and poorly thought of, it's not such a hot take that it should be gone.
I personally don't have terribly detailed thoughts about how those government functions are best organized, but I feel very strongly that immigration services need to go back to the DOJ, like it was before 9/11.

This, it was a terrible ideal then and should be reshuffled more to what it was before 9/11. It's always smelled of nationalist garbage.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
These "both sides are the same" drive-by posts remind me why Donald Trump was the president we deserved for the last four years.

It never occurred to you that many people voted for Biden only because of Trump? Especially on this forum, that leans a lot more left than many. Well, now Trump has lost and Biden no longer has that protection. He will need to prove himself to not be another in a line of war criminals. Respect will need to be earned.

edit: also it was the moderation's rather insane choice to start banning people over anti-war jokes that really derailed this topic. It was just a couple of throwaway posts otherwise.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that is the case. There can be a harm reduction aspect of putting the DHS into more capable and caring hands. Fixing the border policy and abolishing ICE would be a good start. It sounds like he helped on the DACA bill and has done other good work on immigration, hopefully he can bring that to the DHS.

EDIT:

No. There is a difference between voicing your opinion in a way that is conducive to discussion and learning in a community and posting a one-sentence post without putting any thought into it that will derail a thread or be counter-productive.

Like instead of saying what got most banned on the first page, all they had to do was: "I see these picks, I hope that they do not continue *a policy here*. In reality, this arm of the government shouldn't exist or should have certain powers taken away from it". Then they wouldn't get banned for posting their opinion. This forum shouldn't aspire to be the Youtube comment section.

Status
Not open for further replies.