• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dozer

May 30, 2019
Orlando, FL
I love that I've never heard of any of these people. Please fill the whole cabinet with competent non-politicians I never have to hear about in the news!

edit: yall i know who John Kerry is. I meant the cabinet

Last edited:

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Because they hate Biden and are going to spend the next four years complaining about how he eats crackers. Ignore.

Don't know much about the women mentioned here but I'm excited to see Kerry acting in an official role. He was a great Secretary of State and his commitment to fighting climate change is well-proven by now. Hopefully the plan he and AOC hashed out will see the light of day in Congress.

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (5 days): drive-by trolling
they-say-the-next-ones-will-be-sent-by-a-9562107.png

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
Refreshing to not have heard of these names (aside from John Kerry, of course), and for them not to be relatives. Won't miss the nepotism.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I recognized Mayorkas from deputy DHS secretary. Looks like he was in charge of US Citizenship and Immigration Services under Obama. That's probably going to get some pushback.

Had to look up Haines, but wow wikipedia updates fast:

In 2020 she was revealed to be President-elect Joe Biden's nominee for director of national intelligence.

Edit, and yep another familiar pick:

From 2007 until 2008, Haines worked for the United States Senate Committee on Foreign Relations as Deputy Chief Counsel for the Majority Senate Democrats (under then-chairman Joe Biden).[17] She then worked for the State Department as the assistant legal adviser for treaty affairs from 2008 to 2010.[18]

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Kerry is the first Climate Change czar at the NSC:

Biden Transition: "Former Secretary of State John Kerry will fight climate change full-time as Special Presidential Envoy for Climate and will sit on the National Security Council. This marks the first time that the NSC will include an official dedicated to climate change."

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because they hate Biden and are going to spend the next four years complaining about how he eats crackers. Ignore.

Don't know much about the women mentioned here but I'm excited to see Kerry acting in an official role. He was a great Secretary of State and his commitment to fighting climate change is well-proven by now. Hopefully the plan he and AOC hashed out will see the light of day in Congress.
You them crackers I called them coups lol

nomster

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know Kerry's climate bona fides but having a seat on the NSC for climate is great.

OP
OP
kambaybolongo

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
they are more interested in shitposting than having a functional intelligence arm of the government to stop the rise of domestic terrorism
Yes, famously the top priority of the United States intelligence community has been to stop domestic terrorism.

And I'm sure the millions of people who get deported by ICE in the future, put in concentration camps, or separated from their families will feel better knowing that the head of homeland security will be a Cuban.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I don't know Kerry's climate bona fides but having a seat on the NSC for climate is great.
Kerry's been pretty invested in the climate fight for a while now.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/30/climate/john-kerry-climate-change.html

WASHINGTON — John Kerry, the former senator and secretary of state, has formed a new bipartisan coalition of world leaders, military brass and Hollywood celebrities to push for public action to combat climate change.

The name, World War Zero, is supposed to evoke both the national security threat posed by the earth's warming and the type of wartime mobilization that Mr. Kerry argued would be needed to stop the rise in carbon emissions before 2050. The star-studded group is supposed to win over those skeptical of the policies that would be needed to accomplish that.

Former presidents Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter are part of the effort. Moderate Republican lawmakers like Arnold Schwarzenegger, the former governor of California, and John Kasich, the former governor of Ohio, are on the list. Stars like Leonardo DiCaprio, Sting and Ashton Kutcher round out the roster of more than 60 founding members. Their goal is to hold more than 10 million "climate conversations" in the coming year with Americans across the political spectrum.

With a starting budget of $500,000, Mr. Kerry said, he and other coalition members intend to hold town meetings across the country starting in January. Members will head to battleground states key to the 2020 election, but also to military bases where climate discussions are rare and to economically depressed areas that members say could benefit from clean energy jobs.

"We're going to try to reach millions of people, Americans and people in other parts of the world, in order to mobilize an army of people who are going to demand action now on climate change sufficient to meet the challenge," Mr. Kerry said in an interview.

He and AOC were also the co-chairs on the Biden-Bernie task force regarding climate policy.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
User Banned (5 days): drive-by trolling
So many little girls are going to grow up believing they too can be war criminals! ♥

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Organizing the Paris climate accords for one!

Having Kerry in as climate czar is excellent. Although I hope the position doesn't also preclude the creation of a National Climate Council, sitting alongside the NSC and NEC.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

Yeah. I like Kerry but I'm not aware of him as being a big climate guy. It's possible he is and we and we just don't hear of it or he's competent enough and Biden likes him enough that he trusted him to put him in the position regardless.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Wikipedia led me to this old article. It's an interesting somewhat informal look at Haines.

www.newsweek.com

The Least Likely Spy

How did an amateur pilot turned artsy bookstore owner end up at the pinnacle of the CIA?

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You folks are impressively one note.
I blame moderation for continually letting them get away with this kind of shitposting. All the usual suspects ready with their canned responses regardless of who was nominated. And yeah, I'll likely be banned for this post, but it needs to be said because this place is becoming unreadable.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was created in 2002, it was hastily made and poorly thought of, it's not such a hot take that it should be gone.
I personally don't have terribly detailed thoughts about how those government functions are best organized, but I feel very strongly that immigration services need to go back to the DOJ, like it was before 9/11.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good to see the addition of Kerry's position, having climate change be considered a key priority for the NSC is an essential step at this point, hopefully the first of many.

And man some of these shitposts are exhausting

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Because it reeks of applying surface level diversity without any desire or intent to actually address the systematic issues.

Like those memes about needing to hire more black women prison guards as the way to address prison reform. Or the notion that a lot of liberals would be fine with grotesque wealth inequality, as long as the top 1% are demographically representative.

Idk enough about these people to say if that's the case, but given who Biden is, it's a valid concern. He's been pretty open about his opposition to fundamental reforms of structural issues and his desire to just get "back to normal." So I don't think it's inappropriate to be concerned that this will amount to surface level pandering to placate people who want real, foundational changes.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
If it doesn't require congress, then I would think there is a good shot?
There's a fair bit Biden's White House can do for climate policy without having to get Congress involved. Vox has a decent list here which also goes into other issues (like student debt and immigration):

https://www.vox.com/21557717/joe-biden-executive-order-student-debt-climate

The most obvious steps involve reviving measures taken during the Obama administration. Biden has promised to rejoin the Paris climate accord on day one of his presidency.

Beyond that, he could revive the more than 125 environmental rules (and counting) — including more than 40 involving greenhouse gases directly — that the Trump administration rolled back. He could restore California's waiver allowing it to set stricter car emissions rules, which the Trump administration has tried to revoke. He could revoke the Affordable Clean Energy rule, the Trump's administration's replacement for the Obama administration's Clean Power Plan rule, and replace it with a rule leading to net-zero emissions by 2035, his stated goal for his climate policy.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feeling optimistic about Kerry in the climate czar spot.

And I wonder if there'll be any Biden administration threads that aren't overrun with shitposts.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Nice to see half of era has already decided Biden and his administration are gonna be drinking the blood from the skulls of children they commit genocide on.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Pretty sure the DHS doesn't have anything to do with foreign drone strikes. I'm just glad to see normal people back in these positions and not inexperienced shills like the past four years.

Status
Not open for further replies.