• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really think this will backfire on him the way something like the deplorables comment did, he didn't seem to even get into specifics about who those 10-15% of people are.

I think a key element is that 10% is low enough that anyone who might fall into that category can easily convince themselves that he's talking about some non-specific other awful person. Part of how deplorables took off - and it wasn't from what Hillary said, just in terms of how it was twisted by the framing - is that it was presented as "She's calling you a monster".

Of course, the unsaid bit is "And there's about 25% more who are really shitty"

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Biden will be fine with this because A) it's a lower percentage and not as catchy as "deplorables" and B) the country is in a bad state rather than the public being on a high after 8 years of Obama.

Nov 1, 2017
Get people you know out to vote so that the comment is meaningless. Take a vacation day And help organize to drive people to the polls.

And with everything going on, with the garbage that we have seen the last four years and the current progress being made by protestors, if people aren't going to vote again because of the mildest of takes, they either weren't going to anyway or they are on the other side and pretending they're not.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Biden will be fine with this because A) it's a lower percentage and not as catchy as "deplorables" and B) the country is in a bad state rather than the public being on a high after 8 years of Obama.
And he also didn't name any specific base. I think everyone in America thinks at least 10-15% of the population are "bad people". Who those "bad people" are changes depending on your politics.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Probably shouldn't have said it but honestly who's really offended here? Trumpers and deplorables? They don't matter here anyway.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
The only way this becomes an issue is if he walks it back like Hillary did. The lack of conviction hurt her with her own voters. The deplorables were never voting for her anyway.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
"Do we really think this is as good as we can be as a nation? I don't think the vast majority of people think that," the former vice president said. "There are probably anywhere from 10 to 15 percent of the people out there that are just not very good people, but that's not who we are. The vast majority of the people are decent, and we have to appeal to that and we have to unite people — bring them together. Bring them together."

Mr. Biden's comments harked back to controversial statements by past presidential nominees who generalized in negative terms about portions of the population. In 2012, Mitt Romney, whose taped comments at a private fund-raising event were later leaked, said "47 percent" of voters would never support him because they were "dependent on the government." And in 2016, Hillary Clinton said half of Mr. Trump's supporters belonged in a "basket of deplorables."

oh yes, "probably 10-15% of the people out there are not very good, but the vast majority are decent and we have to unite people and bring them together" is just like Mitt Romney saying 47% of the population will never support him because they want government handouts and Hillary saying half of Trump's supporters were "deplorables". Don't fall for this nonsense, lol.

Last edited:

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
This board does the whole gnashing of teeth routine for the stupidest shit. He's not going to get in trouble for saying 85% of the country are good people. It's already off the front page of the NYT. Have some perspective. What, are the deplorables going to change their Twitter handles to say "10-15%"?

Biden's a man, he's known for being folksy and gaffey, there's a pandemic and mass social unrest going on. No one cares. He doesn't even say who the bad people are. It's a cipher-style comment that lets people read into it whatever they want.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
If people get upset about this it's an easy tell that they know they're in that 10-15%.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone believes at least 50% of people are terrible, regardless of their background or beliefs

15% is unbelievably low

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Everyone believes at least 50% of people are terrible, regardless of their background or beliefs

15% is unbelievably low
You obviously haven't read this thread. In this group 35% is the average.

Besides, to believe every other person is terrible is just mental. If you thought that poorly of humanity I don't even know why you bother interacting with us if you think the amount of terrible people is 50%.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Weird thing to say for him. But whatever.
"Not very good" What does that even mean? Just good? Bad? Evil?

JetSetSoul

Oct 28, 2017
I believed they had best intentions till the last week. I'd say a much more sizable number are irreversibly evil.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I mean... He's not wrong.
Yes he is, it's closer to 30%!

I mean really look at Trumps approval numbers, I mean: What do you call those people that support him through all of this? Very Nasty people.

And most of them are above 40%! So 30% is a conservative estimate of Nasty People Percentage.

The US her NPP is at least 35% I'd recon.
projects.fivethirtyeight.com

How Popular Is Donald Trump?

FiveThirtyEight is tracking Donald Trump’s approval ratings throughout his presidency.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Good ol NYT just doing their thing

I didn't even know what that quote "harkens back to..." was from, but as soon as I read it I thought is sounded like somthing the NYT would write. Here we go again.
Good thing Biden doesn't have any buttery emails for them to screech about.

Also, Biden is being way too kind.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
He could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and say that 10 to 15 percent of Americans are not very good people and he wouldn't lose voters!

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Won't have the same play as the deplorables comment, too specific, youd basically have to be racist, sexist and a criminal to think: "hang on a minute!"

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Don't get cocky Biden you're still an ass, just not anywhere near as big of an ass as President asshole.

With that said it's way higher of a percentage, closer to 30% easy.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
Gotta get those clicks.

Everything is going to be used against him from the other side. He has a shotgun mouth. Just don't worry about every thing that comes out, or you'll be having a heart attack every day.

That said, I wish he'd stop and think. He may get away with this because of privilege.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
This is like a really watered down version of what Hillary said because it is a lower percentage than she described, doesn't target just Trump voters, and "not very good people" doesn't fit on a t-shirt like deplorables. Plus, people are more likely to agree with the statement after Minneapolis, and he has more leniency as a white male. But that's the downside of Biden, the foot in mouth syndrome. Hopefully his remaining gaffes are not too harmful like this one.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Yeah they loved it when Hillary did the same.

It's actually higher than 15%. But he still shouldn't say it.

I thought it was pretty clear that people just did not like Hillary. When Biden told that automaker who asked about the guns to 'shove it', the narrative was that people liked Joe pushing back like that.

If Hillary would have done the same, it would have been a different reaction.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
Would be weird if conservatives got mad over that quote unless they believe 100% of Americans are good people.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
10-15% are not very good.

But whatever Trump's approval rating is, those are trash.

Then what's leftover is largely good or at least not shameful.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Biden is literally being handed the election on a plate and he can't stop putting his foot in his mouth. Jesus Christ.

I don't know how this helps in any possible way. You're becoming president of all people, it's like a forceful act of polarization and that's the last thing America needs when depolarization is like one of three things that is necessary to save this state moving forward. For what, brownie points for narrow-minded Liberals to stoke their hatred for conservatives? After all these decades of polarization, and seeing what happens when people start to believe their opponents are inherently bad, who in their right mind with any basic understanding of what usually transpires when this happens thinks even holding this view is helpful to anyone?

He has the chance, even as a relatively moderate candidate, to swing people back to the left at an INCREDIBLE moment of vulnerability that American citizens are experiencing, and he's stoking the flames. Absolute insanity and a pretty dehumanizing approach that is not only unnecessary but counterintuitive to progressivism.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Why is this a dumb thing to say? No matter what side of the party you are on, you agree with this right? So the dumb fuck GOP people will nod their head vigurously and say "hes right, those damn leftist, Soros paid yahoos are not good people" whilst everyone else knows we are talking about them. Im done with treading the middle ground and pandering to both sides. Fuck the GOP and their evil supporters. They were never coming onboard anyway, lets make it about who is there more of, assholes or good guys. The good guys need to be encouraged to go to the polls.

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
Hillary was obviously naming Trump supporters and Republican voters in general specifically with her comments. That's the reason people got upset and even started proudly calling themselves "deplorable". This Biden quote isn't targeted at a specific political inclination and is actually being used to argue that the vast majority of Americans are decent people. It's not a controversial statement in the slightest and if you believe it is, it's probably because it fits your agenda.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Guys, I'm voting for him and want him to win. But man does he say some nonsensical stuff sometimes.

Good is all relative. Just say what you mean, Biden. If you're saying that 10 to 15% of people are racist, that's probably low balling it.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
This shouldn't be a news headline. Trump literally says that Democrats are vermin scum of the earth and it's just another day in trumpville.