• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
So Alison's releasing a line of vintage cookware that she talks about in an interview with The New Consumer:
In an interview with The New Consumer about her increased popularity and the avenues she might pursue to capitalize on it, the popular food columnist discussed her hesitance to put her name on a product line—citing the Japanese organization maven and Chrissy Teigen as examples of what she did not foresee in her own future.

"I have a collaboration coming out with [the cookware startup] Material, a capsule collection," Roman said. "It's limited edition, a few tools that I designed that are based on tools that I use that aren't in production anywhere—vintage spoons and very specific things that are one-offs that I found at antique markets that they have made for me."

She uses this to say that Marie Kondo and Chrissy sold out by "slapping their names" on anything in Target:
"Like the idea that when Marie Kondo decided to capitalize on her fame and make stuff that you can buy, that is completely antithetical to everything she's ever taught you," Roman said. "I'm like, damn, bitch, you fucking just sold out immediately! Someone's like 'you should make stuff,' and she's like, 'okay, slap my name on it, I don't give a shit!'"

Later on, Roman railed against Teigen's business strategies as well. "She had a successful cookbook. And then it was like: Boom, line at Target. Boom, now she has an Instagram page that has over a million followers where it's just, like, people running a content farm for her. That horrifies me and it's not something that I ever want to do. I don't aspire to that. But like, who's laughing now? Because she's making a ton of fucking money."

That's the thing — you don't need a ton of equipment in your kitchen to make great food. "For the low, low price of $19.99, please buy my cutting board!" Like, no. Find the stuff that you love and buy it. Support businesses and makers. It feels greedy. Unless something just simply didn't exist that I wish existed, but that would make an inventor, which I'm not.

Then she seemingly mocks Kondo's accent in quoting her saying "Please to buy my cutting board":

And then poorly responds after:

Chrissy responded:

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting she only called out women of color....interesting in a Post Goop world

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
I have to question why she'd post an "inside joke" in a serious article. Very lame backpedal.

It looks like she got too comfortable in her privilege and lifted the curtain a bit too much.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
She said some shit, trapped herself in an ouroboros of stupid comments, and will eventually segue into the white guilt boot loop that results in a shutdown, apology, and divorce from social media in order to reflect.

And by reflect, I mean let the heat die down.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Marie Kondo should win a Nobel Peace Prize for all the broken homes she's fixed. She's earned the right to slap her name on some shitty Target organizing shelves for a little coin.

Maybe Alison would be more successful if her brand wasn't "salt."

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Marie Kondo should win a Nobel Peace Prize for all the broken homes she's fixed. She's earned the right to slap her name on some shitty Target organizing shelves for a little coin.

Maybe Alison would be more successful if her brand wasn't "salt."

Marie Kondo also comes across as a nice, likable person. This Roman character doesn't some off as likable at all-seems very smug.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Marie Kondo also comes across as a nice, likable person. This Roman character doesn't some off as likable at all-seems very smug.
Roman reminds when you have a youtuber or a twitch person try to crossover and they had zero media training

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017
I'm not an expert on Marie Kondo (I only watched a few episodes of her show) but I don't think her message is to not buy things. It seemed to me her message was reevaluating what's important in the things you have at home, and letting go of what's clutter and unimportant. I guess some people would argue she is selling potential clutter to people and this could be where Roman is coming from.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
So she wanted some heat and free press for her hipster spoons but it ended up backfiring, I guess?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She's not wrong about Kondo's junk. It's like slapping Queer Eye on a pair of jorts.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know why I spent time reading about beef between people I don't know or care about but there it is.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Marie Kondo was about keeping things that bring you joy and letting go of things that don't and not necessarily a minimalist lifestyle, so if random shit makes people happy that's fine and so is her selling products with her name on it, if they bring people joy that doesn't contradict her method at all. She also doesn't tell people what they need, she just teaches her method and lets the individuals make decisions.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I'm not an expert on Marie Kondo (I only watched a few episodes of her show) but I don't think her message is to not buy things. It seemed to me her message was reevaluating what's important in the things you have at home, and letting go of what's clutter and unimportant. I guess some people would argue she is selling potential clutter to people and this could be where Roman is coming from.

Absolutely on the bolded. Not gonna defend her on the other shit, but I remember my girlfriend and I sending each other links to Marie kondo's store, which was filled with tons of unnecessary and expensive shit that was no doubt being at least partly bought by people who understandably loved her. I don't think it's wrong to note the hypocrisy of pushing a minimalist lifestyle while still pedaling junk that is inessential. Yes, people don't have to buy it, but you could say that of any salesperson selling overpriced wares with their names attached to it.

But again, that aspect aside, she fucked up on the other stuff - the inside joke and the Chrissy teigan stuff.

OP
OP
RastaMentality
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely on the bolded. Not gonna defend her on the other shit, but I remember my girlfriend and I sending each other links to Marie kondo's store, which was filled with tons of unnecessary and expensive shit that was no doubt being at least partly bought by people who understandably loved her. I don't think it's wrong to note the hypocrisy of pushing a minimalist lifestyle while still pedaling junk that is inessential. Yes, people don't have to buy it, but you could say that of any salesperson selling overpriced wares with their names attached to it.

But again, that aspect aside, she fucked up on the other stuff - the inside joke and the Chrissy teigan stuff.
Her critique was weak and poorly said tbh. There's definitely a point to be had but a NYT blogger who sells vintage spoons isn't the one to making it. Especially trying to force this into being an anti capitalist thing

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really need a white woman or anyone to tell me that everyone is just there to sell out and capitalize on their fame.

Blame the game instead and the degree of its effect in your society.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, after reading Chrissy's tweets you can tell she is genuinely hurt. Not faux outrage or her normal slap backs, just totally bummed out that someone she really liked took a hot steaming dump all over something she's worked hard on because they share a similar interest.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Alison needs to cool down. All she fucking does is make grandma's food with a few "modern" ingredients anyway. I don't feel too bad for Chrissy; she's anti-black and a gigantic, unhinged psycho cyberbully.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A while ago a friend showed me a link to Marie Kondo shop where she was selling exorbitantly expensive shit. Like....nearly $300 for a metal cup.

shop.konmari.com

Authentic Japanese Brass Tool or Utensil Holder

The Futagami brass foundry is renowned for its sand-casting technique, which creates a distinctive, rustic texture that will develop a rich patina over time. This faceted brass vessel was designed by Oji Masanori to hold kitchen utensils and is striking enough to be used as a vase. Lined in...

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
How dumb do you have to be to trash someone who might potentially be bankrolling your television career?

So dumb. And probably so privileged it hurts.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
"I'm not racist. It's an inside racist joke that I make with my racist friends".

Jon_Sama

Aug 19, 2018
Funny how she only sees the need to publicly apologize to the one person her career depends on. Who is the sellout again?

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
🤣🤣

The same chef who rebrands a staple Indian dish as 'Alison Roman's Internet-famous Chickpea Stew', markets it everywhere and talks like she re-discovered turmeric in the wild? Who woulda see this coming?

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
🤣🤣

The same chef who rebrands a staple Indian dish as 'Alison Roman's Internet-famous Chickpea Stew', markets it everywhere and talks like she re-discovered turmeric in the wild? Who woulda see this coming?
LOL you know I saw this recipe a while back and was confused about why it was being presented as "internet-famous," because I didn't understand what about it was new or interesting, either. That context makes more sense now.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I get her, and might even agree with, her bigger critiques.

1)She finds Chrissy being a huge brand of selling you shit as opposed to focusing on the art of cooking, wrong
2)By extension Kondo using her platform of preaching minimalism to sell you stuff

Not bad takes (but arguably privileged takes). She damned herself in the delivery though, and doubling down...esh. And in a world of Rachel Ray's and Snoop Doggy Doggks bff, to use them as targets, worse

Seems that working at the nytimes turns you into an unreflective asshole because this is turning into a pattern for their writers. Meanwhile in the social media space normally more pretentious rags like the New Yorker, their writers come off cool and down to earth as fuck.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Well that's an easy way to have a huge amount of people not want to buy your shit.

Nice.

SOBOSLDR

Nov 27, 2017
All the cookbook home making stuff all these people sell is bull. It's all just Instagram lifestyle nonsense. Modern day Martha Stewart junk.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Critiques of capitalism are always on the menu! Also Chrissy Teigen sucks ass and deserves criticism as a very vocal and useless lib. I'm not familiar with Marie Kondo. I think I get what this woman is trying to say, about monetizing your fanbase and making yourself wealthy on their back. It's just not real well formed here.