• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
It looks like the combination of lower crowds and safety protocols has helped at Disney World. It might be a way forward for things before vaccine is fully ready to gk

www.nytimes.com

At Disney World, ‘Worst Fears’ About Virus Have Not Come True (Published 2020)

Attendance has been low since the July reopening, but health officials and worker unions also say safety protocols have kept the coronavirus at bay.

In July, one infectious disease expert said Walt Disney World's reopening was a "terrible idea" that was "inviting disaster." Social media users attacked Disney as "irresponsible" and "clueless" for pressing forward, even as coronavirus cases surged in Florida. A few aghast onlookers turned Disney World marketing videos into parody trailers for horror films.

Attendance has been lower than anticipated. Travel agents say families have been postponing Christmastime plans to vacation at the Orlando-area resort, in part because of concerns about the safety of flying. In recent days, Disney World, citing continued uncertainty about the duration of the pandemic, began laying off 15,550 workers, or 20 percent of its work force.

As tumultuous as the three months since the reopening have been, however, public health officials and Disney World's unions say there have been no coronavirus outbreaks among workers or guests. So far, Disney's wide-ranging safety measures appear to be working.
"We have no issues or concerns with the major theme parks at this point," said Dr. Raul Pino, director of the Florida Department of Health in Orange County, which includes Disney World.

Edit: I apologize, i accident hit send before completing the post 😟

Last edited:

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Whats with the title of the thread?

I've watched some videos since I was interested to see how current Vloggers were dealing with Disney World and it seemed like protocols were being followed and necessary steps were being made (i.e. Social distancing, wearing masks and sanitizer stations).

Though it helps much of Disney world to be outside.....dont see how its possible to do that in a theater setting.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This is a good thing because let's face, whole industries are getting devastated. More case studies like this help build safer options.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
I will give this thread a response that matches the level of thought and dedication that op gave:

Lmao

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like there have been reports - by workers, not the unions nor Disney - that quite a few workers got covid?

Oct 26, 2017
This is a good thing because let's face, whole industries are getting devastated. More case studies like this help build safer options.

The problem is many industries arenot going to have the same level of care.
Case in point, the airline industry are trying to get governments to remove the quarantine approach in order to promote more travelling. All the while admitting that they have carried Covid-19 positive passengers.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How are other parks in Orlando like Universal and SeaWorld? I know I have a friend who lives there and I've seen they've gone but I feel like I haven't heard of their protocols and the pictures I've seen make it seem a lot more crowded than Disney.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
How are other parks in Orlando like Universal and SeaWorld? I know I have a friend who lives there and I've seen they've gone but I feel like I haven't heard of their protocols and the pictures I've seen make it seem a lot more crowded than Disney.
Universal has better policies IMO. They were enforcing distancing more than Disney. Disney is really strict as well but I felt universal is doing a better job.

Deleted member 69501

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2020
In general we already know when safety protocols are followed the covid risk becomes manageable. Think about it, how many outbreaks are traced to grocery stores were common protocols are being enforeced? (None, at least in Canada)

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Disney declined to say how many Disney World employees had tested positive for the coronavirus since the resort reopened. In phone interviews, union leaders said cases had been minimal.

And in a state famous for reclassifying thousands of covid deaths as "Pneumonia" exactly how far are we expected to trust Disney's self-reporting when they're not releasing numbers?

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Without widespread testing for people who visited these parks, how could we possibly know?

Now now, let's give Disney the benefit of the doubt. After all they've shown how much they care about their workers and the random peeps. Forget contact tracing or anything like that.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Some advice OP, leave the title for last when making a thread. That way you won't accidentally post it.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I love Disney. There's not a chance I trust what they are reporting.

Zoso

Oct 27, 2017
See? If you don't do any testing or contact tracing, there's zero cases! Way to go Disney...

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

Theres not tracing data so they can't really claim there's no outbreaks of cases.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Universal is stricter than Disney World. Sea World is a joke. At UO, the team members won't hesitate to tell you to put a mask out while Disney is a bit too "nice". At Universal they also force you to use hand sanitizer before getting in every ride while at Disney it's optional.

Saito

Oct 25, 2017
Dangerous articles like this contribute to the awful position we find ourselves in (USA.) There's no way to truly know the effects of the park reopening because Florida is a shit show for actual contact tracing, testing, and any form of responsible approaches to COVID.

Last edited:

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Co-worker of mine just got back from one day in the Magic Kingdom. Said she felt completely safe and they Disney handled it well.