• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Southwestern areas need to find a solution fast because water rights are a huge deal and many have been agreed upon many years ago.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure the Great Salt Lake is far more salty than ocean water. Far too salty to support fish of any kind, only algae, flies, and brine shrimp.

Sure but filling it with salt water instead of fresh would cause its salinity to get even higher over time as it evaporates

I suppose that doesnt matter much but maybe someone smarter than me can tell me what that would mean

YourFriend

Nov 15, 2017
Without trillions spent creating artificial lakes under sea level, I think much of the southwest will be uninhabitable. We could build large reservoirs by piping in salt water and using hydro and solar to desalinate and create great lakes in Mojave desert that would supply water and also increase annual precipitation by a few inches due to extra humidity, but it would take decades to build such lakes and by then many will move east of basically I-35 in the US where annual precipitation is 35-80 inches.

It would be a lot better to just buy out farm land in California and Arizona that is used for exports and decrease water usage or use the ground water that was meant to be a back up water source for the Colorado River to refill the reservoirs we already have.

Sam Bridges

May 3, 2022
Sure but filling it with salt water instead of fresh would cause its salinity to get even higher over time as it evaporates

I suppose that doesnt matter much but maybe someone smarter than me can tell me what that would mean

The Great Salt Lake is up to 27% saline in some parts. Seawater is like 3.5%.

Seawater would dilute the salinity of the Great Salt Lake, not make it more saline.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
It's always funny seeing the idea that getting rid of lawns and golf will solve the West's water problems. Until we get agriculture under control it will be nearly impossible to cut municipal water use enough to have water sustainability unless you don't want people to have parks, tree shade or green spaces to fight carbon emissions. We should be getting rid of cattle being raised in the desert for dairies in Minnesota, we should be getting rid of alfalfa ground water drilling for livestock in Saudi Arabia, we should be moving cotton farms to areas of the country that aren't in 20+ year droughts, we should be cutting almond and pistachio farms in California and Arizona. Thats if we actually wanted to solve the problem.

It truly is amazing that Saudi Arabia can regulate its ground water drilling for Alfalfa when it drained their aquifers too low, but not here in America.

It's gonna be a huge mess. Unless CA can kill agricultural use within the next few years there's going to be a mass migration. The rot of decaying large swaths of cities creates a domino effect like it did in the rust belt. Then you're dealing with 2 catastrophic issues. People won't want to live there.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
The planet will recover. Humans are fucked.

Hopefully. The rate of climate change in unprecedented. Normal climate change happened within the course of tens of thousands of years. Human induced climate change happened in decades.

That said, life on this planet is resilient. As long as we die off and something manages to cling on, life will continue on.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
It would be a lot better to just buy out farm land in California and Arizona that is used for exports and decrease water usage or use the ground water that was meant to be a back up water source for the Colorado River to refill the reservoirs we already have.
Good luck getting that land out of the hands of the Reznicks

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
poisonous air? No big deal

Don't worry!

wiggum-flu.gif

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
Being SLC, their biggest effort to combat this will be to pray harder.

If only God would warn them about this catastropheā€¦

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Just buy gas masks and oxygen tanks, problem solved and a couple of new millionaires will arise, win/win!

May 26, 2018
Colorado doesn't have a bright future either.

"The lead author of the study said Colorado will experience a 50% to 60% reduction in snow by 2080."

"We're not saying Colorado is going to become a desert. But we see increased aridity moving forward," said hydrologist Katrina Bennett at the federal government's Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico.

www.thedenverchannel.com

Colorado will lose half its snow by 2080 and look more like Arizona, federal scientists conclude

Parts of Colorado, Wyoming and Utah are drying out due to climate-driven changes in stream flows, and these states will shift to become more like the most arid states of the Southwest.

Significantly less snow pack = less water. Ouch

I imagine when it reaches that point it will be a quick road to similar toxic clouds.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah my understanding is that it could turn into a supersized version of the Salton Sea if they do nothing.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Just passing by that place gives off eerie vibes.
Bombay Beach is literally one of the creepiest places I've ever been to.

It was a resort town in the 50's 60's and 70's and now it's a salt rotted ghost town.

There's a bunch of hipsters/artists living there that are trying to "revive" the town, but it's like painting a fucking skeleton.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
This is fucked up. So where are some 'future proof' places to live?

Water scarcity will be a widespread problem, however the great lakes area is safe and the amount of effort east of I-35 to build reservoirs that replenish reliably is much lower. Rainfall around I-35 is 35 inches per year and rapidly increases as you reach east Texas and is high until the Atlantic.

Texas is uses underground aquifers to get by and will have similar but much more practically resolved by building 3x more lakes.

Edit:
Clearly I've missed something as the person responding to is in Chicago. The toxic dust?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Pipe it in from the ocean and dump it into the lake.

For every other state, pipe it in from the ocean into a desalination plant, and then move it to where it's needed. Put the brine in evaporation tanks, filter that water out, and use the salts for whatever industry can use them.

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020

For every other state, pipe it in from the ocean into a desalination plant, and then move it to where it's needed. Put the brine in evaporation tanks, filter that water out, and use the salts for whatever industry can use them.
Use that salt to maintain the Great Salt Lake's salinity

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The pipe issues are large. it would take a metric fuckton of money, serious term planning and half a dozen or more states working together. California can't even get its act together on desalination plants.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
This is fucked up. So where are some 'future proof' places to live?
PNW, Great Lakes regions, NE.

Upper Washington, Minnesota, Wisconsin, upper Illinois, Michigan, Vermont, Maine are all solid.

I trend toward the Great Lake region due to fresh water reserves.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
It's always funny seeing the idea that getting rid of lawns and golf will solve the West's water problems. Until we get agriculture under control it will be nearly impossible to cut municipal water use enough to have water sustainability unless you don't want people to have parks, tree shade or green spaces to fight carbon emissions. We should be getting rid of cattle being raised in the desert for dairies in Minnesota, we should be getting rid of alfalfa ground water drilling for livestock in Saudi Arabia, we should be moving cotton farms to areas of the country that aren't in 20+ year droughts, we should be cutting almond and pistachio farms in California and Arizona. Thats if we actually wanted to solve the problem.

It truly is amazing that Saudi Arabia can regulate its ground water drilling for Alfalfa when it drained their aquifers too low, but not here in America.

We used to have a functioning USDA/government where they could look at something like this and literally pay farmers not to grow crops. I think the program is still in effect but doesn't seem like it's being used aggressively enough.

PNW, Great Lakes regions, NE.

Upper Washington, Minnesota, Wisconsin, upper Illinois, Michigan, Vermont, Maine are all solid.

I trend toward the Great Lake region due to fresh water reserves.

Basically where people used to live before the 1960s

Much of the Southeast is probably fine too in the near term but it's going to get hot

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Use that salt to maintain the Great Salt Lake's salinity
Juts pulling it from the ocean should be able to do that; it's why I separated the paragraphs and made mention of every other state.

Well, Salton Sea too; no need to treat water for that.

The pipe issues are large. it would take a metric fuckton of money, serious term planning and half a dozen or more states working together. California can't even get its act together on desalination plants.
The entire southwest trying to move would take a a shit ton of money too. Spend the money, make the plans, and work together. Build those desal plants along the coast, build some inland in the desert and in Nevada and Utah, move water to them, and then move the cleaned water to wherever.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Juts pulling it from the ocean should be able to do that; it's why I separated the paragraphs and made mention of every other state.

Well, Salton Sea too; no need to treat water for that.

The entire southwest trying to move would take a a shit ton of money too. Spend the money, make the plans, and work together. Build those desal plants along the coast, build some inland in the desert and in Nevada and Utah, move water to them, and then move the cleaned water to wherever.

The entire country couldn't even get their act together to deal with a global pandemic. I seriously doubt a bunch of red states start suddenly become concerned enough about climate change to spend the trillions needed to make these ideas come to fruition over decades of time. At best they'll just turn to the usual scapegoats to keep their base angry and distracted.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America

Dictatorship have their advantages if the dictator is enlightened. For instance, I would be a great world emperor if my fellow humans would let me, but apparently, I need to campaign and whatnot, and I don't want it that much, that's why I'm a good choice for it. I would be counting the days until I abdicate the throne.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I had to do a double-take on this. How on earth is 96 gallons per household per day even possible?

I believe they calculate the total usage and divide by the number of residents. So a farm's usage numbers are included as well as someone who lives alone and just takes a shower and flushes the toilet four times. This is all water used by residents and industry.