• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a person who HAS been raped (by a woman when I was about 20) and molested (older step sister, when I was VERY young), OK. Go ahead.

And yet while those events are horrifying and I am so sorry you experienced them, it does not give you the right to judge another's experience of being sexually assaulted, and YES he was sexually assaulted.

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And yet while those events are horrifying and I am so sorry you experienced them, it does not give you the right to judge another's experience of being sexually assaulted, and YES he was sexually assaulted.

Didn't think I judged his reaction. To tell you the truth, i'm judging some of your (edit) reactions here, however.

Last edited:

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
This is a reality tv show/contest not an interview for employment. On top of that, she didn't just kiss him out of nowhere. What she did was a surprise but there was already some ridiculousness going on. It is all taped and is supposed to be entertaining (including drama, silliness, controversy, etc).

Get back to me when they have a show called "Mike's Interview for a Middle Management Job at ACME Offices".
"Supposed to be entertaining" validates an unwanted kiss?

MacReady13

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed

Oh good, it's difficult to tell here.

Also important:

"The kiss did result in his getting more screen time, which has helped draw attention to his music. "So in that way," he said, "I'm glad she did it because it's a great opportunity to get my music out."

He said he does not feel he was sexually harassed and is grateful to Ms. Perry for tweeting about him."

Glad he said that last part...

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I feel for the guy. I was absolutely the same way growing up and I would've been equally disappointed if I were in his shoes. I hope this doesn't just get swept under the rug because he does seem like he's been effected by it and he absolutely deserves an apology at the very least.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yep, that is definitely an unwanted sexual advance. The penalty for committing such an act should be the same for either sex, but we're clearly not there yet. Imagine if Lionel Ritchie had done that to a young white contestant. Trump would have probably tweeted a noose.

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was wrong. There is a difference in power between men and women broadly speaking but in this case the power difference between Katy Perry the American Idol judge and pop star and this contestant was far greater than whatever power is afforded to them by gender - and I don't think we can measure power levels like it's Dragon Ball or something, but I don't think it's unreasonable to make that general statement that she's in a position of greater power than him.

I also don't think there's any use quantifying how bad it was, that's an impossible task and it does no one any good to say if it was as bad or somehow "less bad" than if the genders were reversed because of the immeasurable variables involved, I really don't think we can compare acts like that as if it were on some sort of scale. What's clear is that it was wrong and an unwanted sexual act.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
I see Katy's doing the absolute most to save her dying career. Forcing a kiss to get airtime on a reality tv show IS predatory behaviour.

Oct 24, 2017
I'm having a real hard time with commenting on this thread. Because I GET it. On one hand there is a power dynamic that is here. On the other hand she was PROBABLY thinking she was making his first kiss special, and had no ill intent. I get that there should be NO difference in when a woman or man does this, but that's not how society is. I can't, and won't, get outraged at Katy Perry here.

Didn't think I judged his reaction. To tell you the truth, i'm judging some of your here, however.

?¿

Fauxpaw

Oct 25, 2017
He can be upset, I have no problem with him being upset. People get upset everyday, they get over it. I am sure this guy will manage to get on with his life.

It's not like he has any other choice. I've been raped, sexually assaulted, and sexually harassed, and while it has obviously had a negative effect on my life, I have no other choice but to get on with my life.

Nov 9, 2017
I'm having a real hard time with commenting on this thread. Because I GET it. On one hand there is a power dynamic that is here. On the other hand she was PROBABLY thinking she was making his first kiss special, and had no ill intent. I get that there should be NO difference in when a woman or man does this, but that's not how society is. I can't, and won't, get outraged at Katy Perry here.

So society just is what it is and women and men aren't really equal? It's not the worst thing that ever happened in the world, but it is really pretty unacceptable behavior.

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
Howcome when I read the article I was like "WHAT!!!"

But then I watched the video and was like "oh..."

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

scotdar

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
It's not like he has any other choice. I've been raped, sexually assaulted, and sexually harassed, and while it has obviously had a negative effect on my life, I have no other choice but to get on with my life.

Do you think it's fair or good to put this in the same category as those. I see no harm here, the guy was glad it happened. If he is ok with it why would anyone else care? She apologizes to him, I just don't see anything here. People interact everyday and this just does not meet any level of criteria that leads me to care about it.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am also confused why the person you quoted is making it political.

Fuck off libs? I am a liberal and don't understand the outrage. Why is everyone so damn binary? Why the false equivalencies?

Sure. If you read the thread you'd know that I already commented on that.

Ah sorry, I comment as I go along - bad habit.

Still, I didn't mean you specifically, I meant more "Can you imagine the reaction if the genders were reversed?"

Deleted member 4274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've said it before on here, but if I had done half the things to women that they did to me I would probably be in jail. There is a massive double standard when it comes to genders and what is considered rape, non consensual acts, etc.

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
The only person that gets to decide if the kiss was okay or not is the kid, end of story

If he says it was inappropriate or it offended him then she should apologize at the minimum.

This thread would look so so so much different if Simon Cowell did this to a 19 year old girl.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
There have only been 2 aired episodes of idol this season and In one episode Katy stole a kiss from a kissing virgin, and in another episode she tried to get with a contestant that has a girlfriend and even after he told her he was taken, she persisted on. Not a great start from Ms Perry

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
I think she was in the wrong here. Kissing a stranger on the lips without consent is not ok, hearing that he was saving it for a relationship makes me sad. He kinda undercuts the controversy a tiny slight slight bit at the end of the article though by saying he doesn't feel it's sexual harassment :/

Last edited:

soniko_

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
she placed her mouth on his. And that is wrong.

A kiss used to be something you did for someone/something you have feelings for.

Fauxpaw

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think it's fair or good to put this in the same category as those. I see no harm here, the guy was glad it happened. If he is ok with it why would anyone else care? She apologizes to him, I just don't see anything here. People interact everyday and this just does not meet any level of criteria that leads me to care about it.

Yeah, I do actually. I don't know why so many people are so obsessed with ranking levels of assault. To me, that's not the point. The point is that consent was taken from him, and that isn't cool. The point is that we shouldn't accept this as ok, because what's ok for one person isn't ok for everyone. We also live in a society where men can't be honest about how they feel if they're assaulted, because often they are ridiculed. I'm not saying he's lying about actually liking it, but things aren't always so cut and dry.

And the guy wasn't glad and said so, then walked back on it (or that's what I'm seeing here).

scotdar

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Yeah, I do actually. I don't know why so many people are so obsessed with ranking levels of assault. To me, that's not the point. The point is that consent was taken from him, and that isn't cool. The point is that we shouldn't accept this as ok, because what's ok for one person isn't ok for everyone. We also live in a society where men can't be honest about how they feel if they're assaulted, because often they are ridiculed. I'm not saying he's lying about actually liking it, but things aren't always so cut and dry.

And the guy wasn't glad and said so, then walked back on it (or that's what I'm seeing here).

So what do you propose should happen in this case? Should she be charged with sexual assault? What would resolve this in your mind and bring justice to the victim?

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
He was accepting of a kiss to the cheek, not of a kiss to the lips.
He didn't change his mind afterwards on that aspect. Katy Perry's trickery is going against consent, it's problematic.
14idol-combo-articleLarge.jpg
He went to kiss Katy's cheek, she turned and kissed him on the lips. How do you know he wanted to be kissed on the lips? This is problematic

He bragged about it to his family afterwards.

Fauxpaw

Oct 25, 2017
So what do you propose should happen in this case? Should she be charged with sexual assault? What would resolve this in your mind and bring justice to the victim?

An apology would be fine for me. I'm not concerned about "justice" so much as society coming around to the idea that consent is important whether you're male, female, non-binary etc, or whether the person ultimately liked it or not. It's not ok to kiss someone without permission.

For an analogy: Some people like getting slapped in the face during sex. Some people you could slap them without permission and they'd love it. Others would be shocked, hurt, taken aback, etc. When it comes to any sort of intimacy, consent first is important instead of banking on the person ultimately liking something.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious if the contestants had to sign anything regarding potential physical contact by the judges.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As a general rule, don't put your lips on stranger's bodies unless you're reasonably sure that they're ok with it

An apology from Katy should be adequate

Nerdyone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is it possible that we take a step back on this and not escalate everything into a gender/power/#metoo issue? The young man didn't want this to be his first kiss which I get. However, not every unwanted touch or uncomfortable moment needs to be escalated into an issue like this. I've been hit on before by girls and guys which I didn't like as I am sure many of you have. Sometimes you need to shrug things off and soldier on and not make mountains out of mole hills.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
Seemed benign to me. Its a show, and it played like a show, complete with him falling over.

That said, I can see the way its described step-by-step it being an issue. Idunno

I get that there should be NO difference in when a woman or man does this, but that's not how society is. I can't, and won't, get outraged at Katy Perry here.

Kind of feel this way for whatever its worth. An attractive girl pecks his mouth for the first tine, he falls over. But I can see there's a double standard feeling this way too. It just didnt feel like there was ill intent, seemed steeped in more funny than cruel or self serving.

Last edited:

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's not cool. Katy should've known better. Being a young, attractive women doesn't give you a free pass. I can sympathize with him. I used to have a boss who'd rub on my chest and biceps while talking to me. She was an attractive 30-something and I was in my early 20s, but it still made me uncomfortable.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
A boss giving an "innocent" kiss to a young intern after prying into her sexual experiences, would be fired if wind of that ever spread throughout the company and the intern was publicly complaining. And yes, it follows that Katy Perry should also be fired. This event will change the course of this person's life and his emotions. It's not going to be a small deal for him. A person in authority who thinks they have the freedom to do this shouldn't be in that position.

scotdar

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
An apology would be fine for me. I'm not concerned about "justice" so much as society coming around to the idea that consent is important whether you're male, female, non-binary etc, or whether the person ultimately liked it or not. It's not ok to kiss someone without permission.

For an analogy: Some people like getting slapped in the face during sex. Some people you could slap them without permission and they'd love it. Others would be shocked, hurt, taken aback, etc. When it comes to any sort of intimacy, consent first is important instead of banking on the person ultimately liking something.

She apologizes in the video, or do you mean something more formal an official?

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
That's a tangent. What's your opinion on her kissing him on the lips instead of the cheek, as agreed upon?
It's not a tangent. It shows us exactly how he felt about it at the time, before he sat back later and reflected upon it.

I obviously can't know for sure but I suspect his agreement to kissing her on the cheek was because he thought that's all she would offer, not because he was at the time opposed to more than that. Many things about his response suggest this to me.

Do I think it was wrong of her to do? No. I think when both parties consent to engage in physical interaction there is limited license to attempt to escalate the interaction as long the escalating party immediately stops on removal of consent.

Oct 25, 2017
A boss giving an "innocent" kiss to a young intern after prying into her sexual experiences, would be fired if wind of that ever spread throughout the company and the intern was publicly complaining. And yes, it follows that Katy Perry should also be fired. This event will change the course of this person's life and his emotions. It's not going to be a small deal for him. A person in authority who thinks they have the freedom to do this shouldn't be in that position.
How do you know it will change his life???
Are you him or his psychologist??

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To those saying, "He liked it," or, "He's okay with it," realize that he's being put in an incredibly awkward situation right now. Look at how he has processed the situation in the months since it happened:
When he returned home, Mr. Glaze worked through his feelings about the kiss by talking to his friends. "They agreed with me that it didn't really count," he said. "It was lip contact versus a romantic situation with someone you care about. That's what a real first kiss is."
Perry took that first kiss away from him, and it really doesn't sound like he's entirely gotten over it.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
She had/has no right to do that. Hate it for the kid.

Having said that, dude, please don't just stick to the first "one special person" for your kiss, or sex......or marriage. It's a horrible idea...work all the fish in the sea (or your pond/area) till you figure out which one is actually best for you!

Shuri

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She basically ruined one of this man's life watershed moment in his life for ratings. It's so wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.