• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MOD EDIT: This story is about a young man who was uncomfortable being kissed. He would have said no if asked. How he feels after the fact does not change what happened.

Don't use this thread to rationalize unwanted physical contact or making physical contact without consent. Do not dismiss that this person did not want to be kissed. Be conscious of this when discussing this event.

An ABC American Idol contestant received an unwanted kiss from Katy Perry which has drawn controversy: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/03/14/style/katy-perry-kiss-american-idol.html

March 14, 2018

The first kiss of an aw-shucks teenager from Oklahoma, delivered by a superstar singer, might have made for a sweet pop-culture moment in a previous era. But as the nation re-examines sexual conduct and power dynamics in workplaces and in the media, the kiss didn't land well with all viewers.

When Benjamin Glaze, at the time a 19-year-old cashier from Enid, Okla., auditioned for "American Idol," he had hoped his big moment would come as he belted out "Stadium," a song he wrote himself. That or Nick Jonas's 2015 single "Levels."

Instead, it came when the popstar Katy Perry, a judge on the show, surprised him by kissing him smack on the lips, moments before his audition. He had never been kissed before.

"I was a tad bit uncomfortable," Mr. Glaze said by phone this week, after the incident aired on the season premiere. His first kiss was a rite of passage he had been putting off with consideration. "I wanted to save it for my first relationship," he said. "I wanted it to be special."

"Would I have done it if she said, 'Would you kiss me?' No, I would have said no," he said. "I know a lot of guys would be like, 'Heck yeah!' But for me, I was raised in a conservative family and I was uncomfortable immediately. I wanted my first kiss to be special."

"Have you kissed a girl and liked it?" asked Mr. Bryan, making a coy reference to Ms. Perry's first hit single, "I Kissed A Girl." Mr. Glaze said that he had not. "I have never been in a relationship and I can't kiss a girl without being in a relationship."

At that, Ms. Perry stood up. "Come here," she said to Mr. Glaze. "Come here right now."

Ms. Perry motioned for him to come over to the judges' table and stuck her face toward him. "One on the cheek?" he said and she smiled. He quickly touched his face to her cheek. She asked for another kiss, complaining that he hadn't even made the "smush sound." As he moved toward her cheek again, Ms. Perry swung her face toward him and kissed him quickly on the lips. "Katy!" he yelled, as he stumbled backward. "You didn't!" Ms. Perry raised her arms in victory.

"It was a forced sexual act," one viewer posted in reply to American Idol's tweet: "Imagine if this was from a male judge. Has @katyperry not taken anything from the #metoo movement?"

Last edited by a moderator:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If genders were reversed, the dude in Katy's position would be raked over the coals. Especially if the person on the other end voiced being uncomfortable with it.

Last edited:

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The power dynamics of this are fucked... She's literally there to judge him and if he'd refused, it would've probably screwed his audition.

Oct 28, 2017
User warned for being dismissive and arguing in bad faith
"I wanted my first kiss to be special"

Was this not special? It seems to have made the fucking news.

Clockwork

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wisconsin
User warned: Dismissing and rationalizing unwanted physical contact.
The power dynamics of this are fucked... She's literally there to judge him and if he'd refused, it would've probably screwed his audition.

No need for power dynamics impacting his audition. He sucked all on his own.

Regarding the kiss:

It was innocent. Sheesh.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
If genders were reversed, the dude in Katy's position would be raked over the coals. Especially if the person on the other end voiced being oncomfortable with it.

Yep. This is literally our society's double-standard at play. Regardless of how the individuals felt... if it was a guy in Katy's position, this would be a huge deal.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I think that the expectations that guys are supposed to be horndogs that enjoy this even if without consent is part of why we see the issue happening the other way. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of people in this thread criticizing him for not wanting it. If this wasn't ResetEra and people weren't concerned about getting banned, I'd expect to see a post accusing him of being gay, just going by the attitudes I've seen in response to similar situations.

Clockwork

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wisconsin
I'm sure a lot of sexual offenders would claim that their actions were purely innocent as well.

Apples/Oranges

Whatever you say I guess. She should totally pay for these actions!

*shakes fist* *outrage*

Let us not pretend if the genders were revered, people would be calling this innocent, especially post #metoo.

If it happened in exactly the same way as on the show? I wouldn't care and would say exactly the same thing I did.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
basically making fun of the kid for not having kissed a girl before

perpetuating the idea that men are basically required to have extensive sexual experience or else they're losers

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If genders were reversed, the dude in Katy's position would be raked over the coals. Especially if the person on the other end voiced being oncomfortable with it.
Yeah, I suppose this is true. Upon reading it, my first reaction was that this dude was being over-sensitive, but if it was a girl being forcibly kissed by a male judge, I would immediately see the problem with it. I guess it's a good learning opportunity.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
200.gif

It's not cool that it happened without him being totally comfortable. But also Katy Perry.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
He kissed a girl and didn't like it.

(no but seriously that's an inappropriate thing to do to someone)

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I'd feel better about this if he hadn't specifically said he didn't want to kiss someone outside of a relationship. Bad optics but I guess when your show reboots any press is good press so the producers are probably happy with Katy.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
Apples/Oranges

Whatever you say I guess. She should totally pay for these actions!

*shakes fist* *outrage*
It's not about outrage. It's about making people understand the consequences of their actions. I doubt she recognized the harm she was doing, but she and anybody else on a position of power should take this as a learning experience.

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
Katy Perry: "I better use some Tic Tacs just in case I start kissing him. You know I'm automatically attracted to beautiful—I just start kissing them. It's like a magnet. Just kiss. I don't even wait. And when you're a star, they let you do it. You can do anything.

Grab 'em by the cock. You can do anything."

Tapeworm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The dudes entire gimmick/backstory is that he loves his job as a cashier because it forces girls to talk and say hi to him. Him and Katy deserve each other—creepy predators. Lock them up and throw away the key.

Last edited:

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
If this had been a man, this would be a bigger problem.
If Katy Perry wasn't broadly considered attractive, this would be a bigger problem.

This was a dumb move on her part especially considering what he said before-hand.

Oct 25, 2017
Hasn't Katy Perry been really tone deaf on race relations issues as well? Not really a surprise that she'd also be tone deaf on consent and gender ones as well.

MacReady13

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User warned for being dismissive about the issues of unwanted contact
Dude wanted it to be with his first girlfriend. Special as in someone he had strong feelings for.
She barely kissed him ffs. Geez, why make a big deal out of this? It's not like she stuck her tongue down his throat! Funny how after the kiss he was bragging to his family on the show, but now he's making an issue out of it. Can't believe this is being made into an issue. There are SO MANY more things that we can (justifiably) outrage over...

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This screenshot NYTimes has of the specific scene described in this section:

Ms. Perry motioned for him to come over to the judges' table and stuck her face toward him. "One on the cheek?" he said and she smiled. He quickly touched his face to her cheek. She asked for another kiss, complaining that he hadn't even made the "smush sound." As he moved toward her cheek again, Ms. Perry swung her face toward him and kissed him quickly on the lips. "Katy!" he yelled, as he stumbled backward. "You didn't!" Ms. Perry raised her arms in victory.

Looks really awful and bad, Katy Perry looks very happy and the dude next to her wearing the hat seems to be laughing and pointing at the contestant who received the unwanted kiss from Katy:

14idol-superJumbo.jpg

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Off topic:

"tad bit " is redundant. It's not as bad as "on accident" or "heighth" but it's on my list.

Another aspect of the kiss was that it's part of an obviously deliberate marketing effort by Perry's team. I think he'll be fine but I wouldn't want to be the punchline in a marketing skit regardless of how prudish I was.

Oct 25, 2017
She barely kissed him ffs. Geez, why make a big deal out of this? It's not like she stuck her tongue down his throat! Funny how after the kiss he was bragging to his family on the show, but now he's making an issue out of it. Can't believe this is being made into an issue. There are SO MANY more things that we can (justifiably) outrage over...
While I think it wasn't her right to do it, yeah, it's not the end of the world.
He still hasn't had his first real kiss.

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I think it's unfortunate that she kinda "made" him kiss her, he said he doesn't feel it was sexual harassment. Plus he almost sounds grateful because he got more air time and more interest in his music because of it.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
While his reasoning is super old-fashioned and borderline insane (protecting your first kiss like saving your first time for marriage level of insane), he's also within his right to refuse and feel harassed/assaulted for being unwantedly kissed by someone.
If genders were reversed, the dude in Katy's position would be raked over the coals. Especially if the person on the other end voiced being uncomfortable with it.
Exactly.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
basically making fun of the kid for not having kissed a girl before

perpetuating the idea that men are basically required to have extensive sexual experience or else they're losers
Yeah I mean this is the most egregious things in the world, but it was wrong of her to do and there seem to be a lot of double standards afoot, and this as well as trur

Status
Not open for further replies.