• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rest in peace Etika. It's awful that whatever was going on ended this way.

I only participated in his community in passing. But I've been surrounded by an unfortunate amount of mental illness-driven pain and death in my life, so this hits close to home for me. All my best goes out to his loved ones.

Shinku_King

Nov 11, 2017
You can do 99% right but the one time u do something wrong everyone wants to cancel you and assume they know you, we live in this cancel someone era an that can take a toll on someone's mental, I think most people in this forum or even twitter forgets that we are human and we don't need to comment on every single thing. Rest up kid I wish people would've helped.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
You're referring to the thread a while back, right? Yeah, I realized I massively fucked up (and that's putting it lightly) when I heard the news about his altercation with the police.
Yeah, that one. I hadn't read that thread until today, and I know you weren't the only one to fuck up, far from it, but yours was one of a couple posts that upset me most, and then saw you posting again in here. I'm honestly glad to hear you've since changed your mind and hope you'll continue to treat these issues with the empathy they deserve.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
I was waiting for someone to say this. Yes, Liam Robertson hates this website - because of the way he was treated (due to the mob mentality that's on this website), and rightfully so - but his sentiments still hold true in my view. The problem is that the moderation of this website is... mediocre at best. We've seen repeatedly that when it comes to sensitive topics, that the moderation team just cannot take action quick enough. I was reading the old Etika thread earlier and was disgusted at the hundreds of accusations that he was faking it, and was astounded that nothing was done. It was clear months ago the dude was suffering from mental health issues. The response from the admin, while appreciated (silence would be worse), fails to underline how the team will grow and ensure that nothing like this ever happens again, instead choosing to talk about how the issue has affected the mod team personally (and whilst I am sympathetic, this shouldn't be about them). The mob mentality that founded this website (when NeoGaf imploded in the space of a few days) still persists even now, and it annoys me (I very often voice frustration at how some Era members act in this regard), and I want us to improve. However, to improve, you have to be tough and give harsh criticism: and this criticism from Liam and the other user was the best example I could find.

So, how that's for taking cheap shots, eh?

What a misrepresentation of the moderation's penitence.

I'm not implying they need to produce a detailed plan as to how they'll change - you know as well as I do that such a suggestion is hyperbolic. But the response as it stands gives no implication as to how they might grow - such as by making the rules clearer, or by being more proactive. But when you haven't got much else to say, I suppose hyperbole is the best retord, eh? As I've said, I don't want a repeat of the Etika situation the next time a popular influencer has a breakdown - because it was an embarrassment. Retroactive punishments do little to stem the main issue at hand, though even I will admit they are still a welcome step.

You have a point. Etika's situation should not be repeated in this forum.

But it feels like you are fighting people for the sake of fighting. Nobody here is disagreeing with you that it's a failure on everyone's part.

Last edited:

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
RIP. I wish he had stayed in the hospital to get help though that was a foolish hope.

Last edited:

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i find it real disrespectful how some of you keep pushing politics in front of the tragedy of Etika's death. For fuck sake someone dies and all you can think of is who to point out as the enemy. Regardless of what's being said the crux of the issue is that we as a community and the moderators didnt handle this issue well but i guess pointing fingers or telling people to take the meta commentary elsewhere is the only thing that some of you can even think of doing huh?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm particularly moved by something Omni said in his video
ytma!▶Loading data . . .

His point about how this has happened before, how everyone takes off their clown mask and mourns for a few days, weeks, maybe even months, only to put that clown mask back on and engage in the same hateful behavior as soon as it is encouraged again. That this has happened before and will happen again. That everyone who contributed to Etika's passing will point fingers at everyone else to avoid ever having to engage in self-reflection.

Fuck "cringe culture" and fuck absolutely anyone and everyone who engages in it. It is wonderful that the internet has given a voice to so many people, yet truly deplorable how many people use that voice to push others down in an attempt to raise up their own garbage selves.

I respect the moderation team for having contrition about their decisions and how they could have better handled this. I do not respect the people who spend their lives shitting on the very concept of empathy, only to turn around and disingenuously invoke it when it helps in their fucking pointless culture war against tolerance and inclusion.

Rest in peace Etika.

Last edited:

Laille

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much. Using someone's death to push the anti-ERA agenda. Another win for the alt-right i see.

Gross shit.

What the fuck does this have to do with that parasitic cluster of assholes? You can't just take literally every bit of feedback contrary to what you want to hear and try to tie it back to the alt-right just because they're assholes.

SaiyanRaoh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Coming out of lurker retirement just to say this.

Sincerely fuck you to anyone that did the usual Resetera and decided to flame, "cancel" or send any ill will towards Etika. Anyone who actually knew him enough to comment or give a shit about him knew that his behavior was abrupt, was not normal and wanted nothing more than to see him pull through. I hope the mods sift through previous threads and ban your absolute cunt asses because if you fall under this group you need to grow the fuck up and get off your keyboard as you do not deserve a platform. I don't necessarily appreciate mod behavior and what they usually let slide on this garbage gaming political forum but if they are truly taking this as hard as they say I hope they can actually prove me wrong about this place and make some changes. There are people who post here who are genuinely good people and don't jump at the chance to abuse someone after reading a thread title or controversy then proceed to calling a struggling human "dumb" or a "piece of shit" without knowing who the fuck they are even talking about. The people that send positive energy and read all the facts are the people who can make this forum a better place. If Etika only saw the responses from the good people who wanted to help him maybe things could have been a little different.

Richard Masucci has said it better than most.

Never wanted to like, love and subscribe to a comment more. I'll miss you bro.....

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
I am utterly despondent over this and I dearly wish someone could have gotten through to Etika before it was too late. Mental illness is one of the major silent killers of our generation, and we as a society need -- no, we have -- to be better about confronting it honestly, directly, loudly, and without stigma, especially for groups that are particularly at-risk. Having personally suffered from severe depression throughout my life to the point of sometimes being a danger to myself (this isn't a cry for help; I've got things under control at present), it makes me sick to my very core to think of how horrifically lonely and hopeless Etika must have felt in his final moments. One of the very worst places you can ever be is trapped within the darkness of your own head, and I'm incredibly lucky I've had loved ones to help pull me out while they could still get through to me. I only wish Etika could have been as fortunate.

Let me be as clear as fucking possible: MENTAL ILLNESS IS NEVER A JOKE AND IT'S NEVER YOUR FAULT.

Anyone who believes, or especially says, otherwise or that "it's all in your head, get over it" is an abject monster. There is no middle ground when it comes to mental illness.

Rest in peace, Etika.

True words.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not explicitly in that exact manner, but there is some kind of narrative of the people who were hurt by "Fag" and "Jew" being unsympathetic to suicide by what's being said in this thread.

I've been following the thread pretty closely. and I don't think that was the sentiment.

I get it, I really do, that people use mental illness to cape for bigots but I think this is a tricky balance of people being both hurt by these comments and understanding that these are the outbursts of someone engaging in self-destruction and sabotage to ruin his own life and make others less sympathetic to him. And I know it's additionally fucked up that he has such a large audience for whom those comments are visible.

What a lot of people are mad about are people using these hurtful comments as an excuse to not care about his mental state. A lot of members have shared personal experiences - whether it's themselves or loved ones - about mental illness resulting in one being dysfunctional and saying things they wouldn't say. In Etika's case, these outbursts seemed very out of character, as opposed to someone like JonTron who very consistently has demonstrated bigoted views.

It's also a sensitive topic because in the direct aftermath of his suicide, it feels uncomfortable to bring (as opposed to a public figure like Justice Scalia who ruined lives with his bigoted views, Etika's comments are the symptoms of someone in a downward spiral who needed help).

tl;dr No, people who were hurt by those comments should not be seen as unsympathetic to suicide, if i havent made that clear

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
This times 100. You absolutely nailed it. The expectations that some members in here have of LGBT and Jewish members to just completely dismiss acts of bigotry under the guise of mental illness when the delivery of said acts was nearly identical to the same nonstop internet harassment we've been facing our entire lives is just not realistic.

There is so much nuance to this situation and people need to look beyond the black and white.

You don't have to forgive him for those hurtful remarks. Just know when people say shit like that they are hurting inside in some way.

I don't think Etika hated Jews or was a homophobe. Actions speak louder than words and he said some irredeemably stupid shit on his downward spiral. But he never physically harmed anyone and apologized for it. I stand by it being a cry for help and a lot of his lingo was in line with most dudes I know from New York and that's something our (the black) community is working on.

We are human, we all say hateful shit, and we all do things we aren't proud of. Hate speech is never ok, but I do think he would've been able to come back from it. People still dehumanized him and ripped him of that element, and I think that says something. If that's all it takes for ERA to not bat an eye over someone dying then I think some introspection is needed. We aren't talking about a guy who walked into a church and killed a bunch of people, we are talking about a young man who did and said a couple of bad things and then took his life. Yet he earned the same label as mass shooter by some here. That is insane to me.

And personally speaking, I recently found out that a sizeable group of community of gay guys really close to my neighborhood in Chicago are pretty racist. Nonetheless, I stay on the side that will keep voting and standing for their rights. I refuse to meet that same negative energy and give it anytime of day. I don't see how this line of thinking benefits anyone. It's more for you; the individual, than anything.

Last edited:

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
This is bullshit though, what are you trying to justify?

A person in the midst of a mental crisis saying offensive words should have those words ignored and forgiven, within that context.

When my brother is full blown manic, he might as well have Tourette. Why would I hold him to those words?

If your experience is that limited, don't weigh in at all. Fuck a "however" when a guy just committed suicide.
Those words still hurt though, you are asking a lot for people to ignore how those words made them feel.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

There is a lot of uncertainty with these subjects. I like to think most people, myself included, who were hurt by his words wanted him to stop using his platform for hate speech and get treatment so he would do better and live a healthier life. As a mentally ill bisexual Jew, this has been a weird, tumultuous, and emotional last few days.

Hindsight being 20/20 and all, it's easier to see it as the actions of someone aiming to push people away. I wish I was able to channel that frustration into something more productive, but the unfortunate reality is it's extremely hard to help people not in your physical presence with this stuff. I've tried and have had people try it with me.

I think about suicide more often than I'd like to admit, but I am somewhat frank about my own weaknesses and shortcomings as a mentally ill person, and not everyone is or can be. There is no "cure" for it, but we can all learn better about both ourselves and the people around us who can support us. Unfortunately it seems like Etika felt he had no choice but to sabotage his connections and friendships. He didn't deserve to harm himself like that, but it's so hard to help someone when they're at that point.

There's just a lot going on here and as forum posters we really can't do much. But we can try to be there for those in our own lives, at least, even if it's really hard.

This might be a dumb question, but does Twitch offer some kind of health care plans or anything of the sort once you reach the streaming level of fame of people like Etika and Ninja?

I sincerely doubt it.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
That's great, but how is anyone here supposed to know who is far more familiar with certain issues than anyone else?

Honestly I don't think now is the right time for people to go on witch hunts calling other people out. In the same way people are saying the problem with the culture here and all over the internet is people dunking on each other that's exactly how a lot of these posts are coming across whether or not that's the intention.

Edit: glad to see the mods are re-reviewing the original thread.

I'm not looking for or hunting anyone. That's kind of the point.

People know whether others are more familiar with certain issues because it was very apparent that many of the people speaking, based on some of their very vocal ignorance, had zero experience with mental illness. I hope that they are reevaluating their limited understanding on the topic and will possibly exercise more caution when speaking about it n the future. I'm not trying to shame or hunt anyone; I want people to be better. Because I know I was hurt, very much, reading some of the things people were so carelessly saying and I know that I'm honestly in a pretty good place overall in regards to my mental wellness right now. Someone more vulnerable than me could have been hurt much worse.

I would hope people saying these things, being so needlessly cruel, were unaware of all the ways they might be having a real negative impact on the emotional and mental well being of their fellow Era members and would prefer to actually be made aware of the repercussions of their behavior so that they can correct it.

I really, really hope that people correct it.

Alright I'll try to weight in on this with my limited experience.

There is every reason to be sad about everything that happened here, especially since it resulted in someone's death. However something important to note that mental illness is not and never has been en excuse or a justification for saying and doing things that hurt others. That one's not even a controversial opinion. This all exploded with Etika saying some VERY racist and homophobic things and those things hurt people, that cannot be denied.

This whole...

schtick is misleading or in bad faith or both because it is downplaying the things he said as if they were just him getting mad about fucking video games or something when it wasn't. It was part of a larger trend of racism, antisemitism and homophobia that is prevalent in media surrounding video games.

You'll find that the people who react nastiest to those things are people who have to
A. Deal with those things on a day to day basis
B. Are frequently asked to excuse that language for a variety of reasons

And I really want you to focus on that B part. A lot of you people don't realize it but there are many times in this thread and in previous threads where you come off as going

and it is probably unintentional but it really reaches some victim blaming area where people who are hurt are asked to vouch for aggressors under the guise of "mental illness" despite the fact that there are thousands of mentally ill people that do not act that way.

So mods, you're probably not doing a very good job locking stuff like this onhand just because it's going to make people think that you are protecting your own or have some sort of bias and whatnot. But it's important to understand that for the next couple days every website and their mothers is going to be using Etika's death as a springboard for "I TOLD YOU ABOUT ERA I TOLD YOU DOG!". And Era does deserve scrutiny about a lot of things but today it won't be because of hostile responses to people bring up issues of transphobia or toxic displays of machoness both of which happen here far too frequently but because of a misrepresented idea that Era doesn't take suicide seriously.

It's not about making excuses.

Nobody who is mentally ill thinks that their illness is a justification for their behavior. If you actually watched Etika's final video, even he says that he finally realized he probably actually is mentally ill, but that it's not an excuse for his mistakes. Seriously, people who are mentally ill know this already so saying, "But their mistakes are still bad," helps nobody. But that wasn't even the real problem with the thread or the way people acted. The problem was that people now wanted to frame him and all his struggles as, "Fuck this guy, he's a bigot," repeatedly saying the very untrue statement that if someone says something bigoted it must be what they really believe and feel in their heart, even if it appears to have happened as a part of a manic or self-destructive episode. That is NOT at all true.

Now can there still be consequences for those actions? Yes. Of course. Absolutely. If Etika lost certain friendships or fans because they were hurt by his actions, whether or not he could control them, that's the reality of living with mental illness that everyone living with it has to accept as part of growing and healing. But that does not mean he is necessarily a hateful person and the people saying so over and over, relentlessly, endlessly, that he is a bad person at his core and defined by his illness and its symptoms is really gross and ugly behavior.

If people were so hurt by his words, they obviously have a right to that, but they didn't have to come into every thread about him to repeat over and over that when mental illness is ugly it makes you bad and we shouldn't "signal boost" your "attention seeking." People were literally saying that nobody says things they don't mean when in the middle of a nervous breakdown, it's just you without your mask. This is not true and it is, in fact, a very real concern that makes a lot of people with mental illness hate themselves. Seriously, I frequently think things (usually about myself) that I know I don't believe, am very aware I don't believe , and then feel disgust with myself for even thinking them. Then that disgust compounds with the original thoughts and you start to wonder where the line is. Did you mean it? Do you mean it now when you're liking yourself a little less? If you say something really awful, will people just believe it because that's how little they think of you? If they believe it, if you seem that bad that easily, are you? Were you always? Is that the real you and do you deserve to say terrible things so that people can hate you like they should?

My stuff has never been racist like his was, certainly, but I've definitely picked fights with friends just because I was hating myself and felt like they should hate me too; like the part of my brain that belongs to the mental illness wanted to see how easy it would be to make other people think I'm as bad as I felt I was right then. And that maybe I should, that it would be more honest to be seen in that way.

This stuff happens, and it's not uncommon, and the fact is that it's a struggle all the time for lots of us with mental illness to differentiate between the thoughts that are our own and those that are symptoms, and the fact that people were so eager to use ugliness to define someone -- to say that it doesn't matter, essentially, because your symptoms are who you are and always will be -- is really, really hurtful.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I disagree with your motives.

Criticism means more when it comes from someone with an intent to improve, not tear down. If I so wanted, I could go onto 4chan, KIA, and other "gamer hubs" to find criticism of this site. But whatever they post isn't going to make this site better, all it is will be a collection of hot-takes and anger with an intent to hurt. I'm not familiar with Miller's history with his site, but his tweets seem to be aimed towards riling people up. Members in this very thread have posted their own critical opinions, and I'd rather take their words over someone nursing a grudge towards this site.

Also, your shots at the "mediocrity" of moderation are in the wrong spirit. The mods can improve, yes, but to actively downplay the efforts of the mods to make this forum a decent place to discuss gaming's issues and areas of improvements is wrong. The moderation team fucked up this time, but they're clearly learning from this event and will do better. That's why I completely disagree at your claim about how "self-centered" their statement is. They made a mistake, and they owned to up to it. At least give them a day to respond fully and propose a plan to be better.

Fair enough. In the case of Liam, I feel his criticisms on Twitter must be also taken with the context that he knew Etika fairly well by the looks of it (or at least more than the average joe), and so was hit by this news worse than the average bystander like you or me in this situation. This is why I chose that post, but in hindsight, I was heavy-handed with my inclusion of the post by the other user, because I had no idea of their experience with Era. I'd much rather use opinions voiced by Era members, but at the time, I couldn't find any at all. I would like to make it clear that I would like to see Era improve, if you've seen my more recent posts.

I'm not implying that the mod team haven't made some improvements to this site since it was first formed - my use of "mediocre" is looking at the longer term. Whilst the response in terms of the retroactive punishments is a welcome step today, there's no guarantee that progress will be made in the future. And when we consider how long this issue was left to build up since the initial Etika threads, this is another reason as to why I've called the moderation of this issue mediocre. And let's not forget about this thread here: https://t.co/ZBJHvnXAEL - I'm not satisfied that enough debate will take place to ensure that the moderation of this site will be more effective in the future, and this is also why I think the moderation on this website is mediocre; criticise the mods and your thread gets locked. Hence why I don't believe that a "plan to be better" will manifest like you've implied.

I don't think the entire response is self-centered, but I don't think the remark that this has been tough for the team had to be included - I'm sure it was, and I do feel sorry for them. But this issue isn't about them - it's about Etika and how we as a community talk about mental health.

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
Everything about this hit so so fucking hard to me. I tried to take my life a month ago, had pills ready to take in and was planning to drown myself to death. When I went in the water and started to float I tried taking in the pills but I couldn't. I wanted to die but when I had to, I couldn't do it. I can't imagine how it felt for Etika when he jumped. You don't have a choice anymore once you commit. This entire situation made me realize that mental illness is real. That voice in your head that's continuously telling you that you're worth nothing, have no future and that you're better off dead, isn't you. You know this, but the line between that voice and yourself starts to blur and that's when you have a mental breakdown and start making bad decisions. After seeing how his death has effected so many people, and me included, I think I'm going to look into therapy.

Oct 25, 2017
It's both tragic and poetic that such an ugly, harrowing situation has turned into the mirror by which Era finally gazes for some self-reflection.

The dreary state of world affairs has taken a large mental toll on decent folks who pay attention to the news (which is Era's primary demographic). There's so much cultural rage and fear, and over time it can turn otherwise well-intentioned people into twisted caricatures of the causes they've tried to champion all along.

In a desperate attempt to make sense of the daily horrors we subject ourselves to reading about day after day and year after year, a laser-focus is put on every individual transgression. The troubling issues in society are so unfathomably complex, so impossibly interconnected by a million different variables, that the macro-reasons underlying things like widespread corruption, bigoted views, and ruthless violence are too big to tackle. But by honing in on the unending supply of individual scapegoats to pin these problems on instead, we can at least bask in the comforting delusion that there's an underlying system of logical, black and white morality at play. If we can just uproot every weed one-by-one, eventually the world will stop being the hateful hellscape that has caused communities like ours to lose all sense of nuance in the first place.

I don't know what the answer is. More compassion towards all is surely part of it, but the fiery justice side of me automatically bristles at the thought of giving people a pass for contributing to the type of woes that keep me up at night. If I really look deep though, I know ultimately that righteous indignation is just a smokescreen many people (myself included) use to justify trotting out their own personal demons. Sure, I made a snap-judgment about the totality of a fellow human being based solely on a single terrible thing they said, but dammit, they spewed hatred first! Can't you see that my venom is now justified?

But people who truly do cling to ignorant, harmful, or otherwise ugly views certainly shouldn't be allowed to let their idea of a perfect society seep into the real world. Trump is prime example number one of what happens when groups like that are allowed to influence society. I have a sneaking suspicion that killing them with kindness just won't work.

In the end, I think the hardest pill to swallow is this: We won't solve society's woes. Ever. Moral and social progress will ebb and flow like the tide, and will continue to do so long after our lives end. The only real way to go to the grave with a life well-lived is by doing what we can to alleviate the suffering in others and ourselves while we're still here. And if that means letting go of your own internal anger so you can have a more serene existence, even as injustices lurk around every turn, so be it. You can still stand up for what's right without building a cave of demons in your head to mentally (or publicly) denigrate every single human soul you've ever witnessed saying or doing something foul.

It's sad that it's taken something as irreversible as suicide to spur these types of discussions, but I hope many of us can take a step back now and examine the internal machinations of our minds. Let's finally turn off the autopilot setting for our collective judgement and vitriol, no matter how justified we think it may be.

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Those words still hurt though, you are asking a lot for people to ignore how those words made them feel.
A consecutive series of Tweets with random slurs never should have been taken in a vacuum in the first place.

Let's get down to the damn problem with recognizing and respecting mental illness.

Why not ask "why is a person who doesn't do this suddenly doing this" before just going "he did this I'm bothered fuck him canceled"?

It makes no sense to not stop to see what is going on before leaping directly to outrage, when a situation is completely out of left field.

I live this shit every day of my life. People just do not understand.

Bitmap Frogs

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Agreed, ritual sacrifice for the sake of the community isn't actually going to fix anything.

I have the thread opened in another tab to check on the progress and they're being curiously selective about the sacrifice.

Heck, some of the posters in that thread who you'd think they'd get the axe, are on this same thread complaining about the people trying to voice their concern.

Oct 25, 2017
It would be really great if this common belief that is possible to construct a fully consistent moral framework in a single short post would stop, now.

Nothing in life is so simple that it can be encapsulated in a single post! There will NEVER be perfect answers to complicated multifaceted situations, all we can do is try our best to create a kinder world.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Damn :(

I only saw one reaction video of his and it's the one where he's slowly destroying his shelf over time due to the hype lmao. His enthusiasm was infectious.

Rip, Etika

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
Everyone who is saying "I wish he stayed in the hospital to get help" I don't think gets it, and I'll say this as someone who has bipolar myself: it's a different beast than most mental health issues and while I'm at at it not all mental health issues can be grouped in the same boat. It's entirely possible that Etika himself was actually fine by the time he was released, but sometimes all it takes is snap and you're back to having serious issues: take it from someone who''s had it happen to himself several times. This is just how bipolar is, there's no "cure" for it but only treatment and even if you seek treatment you're going to forever display a lot of different personality traits than everyone else. One of the major aspects of a lot of disorders but ESPECIALLY bipolar is that seeking help is crucial, but you need some serious strength to realize yourself when something's happening as medication and therapy does a lot but it only goes so far and in a lot of real world experiences, which aren't just limited to being a social media star of sorts, anything can happen.

Even though now I am seriously looking about going back to college for this, at the moment I am nowhere near an expert and I am not going to pretend I am. One of the things I do have, though, is actual first hand experience with the same disorder that really affected Etika and this situation i sa lot more complex than simply saying "he needed stronger mental help" or "the hospital should have kept him longer" because while those may be true, there's a myriad of issues at play here and it wasn't just one single issue. All I can truly hope for is that since this has blown up to be a full on event that has wider reach than Etika's subscriber base ever was, that as a full on society something changes because this isn't just tragic, WE should be doing better than this.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
It's reeeeeallly too late to be saying this but it really looked like the internet was taking a huge toll on him and yet IIRC he kept coming back to it.

What he did on the net were things he couldn't help. Even he didn't mean those things, the various communities he interacted with took his tirades literally and responded with nastiness. That nastiness could've been prevented by outright banning discussion WHILE making sure he was in a safe location.

It doesn't fucking matter if he was or wasn't a bigot, he needed help. STOP BLAMING A PERSON FOR SHIT THEY DO DURING OR EVEN AFTER A BREAKDOWN. They were fucking words. If he actually hurt people it would be a bit different, but the justice and health systems still have allowances for that too.

Let him be apologetic AFTER he gets out on the right path. You'd probably still call him pathetic from your high horse, but he could've been alive and could've better coped with both his actions and the public.

Every time he retuened to the internet was another chance he could've been monitored. It will NEVER be the internet's business to speculate what his, or anyone's, problem was. We have all the power at our keyboards and phones to make sure the right people know, though.

I'm not saying that there isn't room for discussing critical mental health in social media but he needed to be safe more than any of our opinions. The people in his real life needed him more than they need social media.

I'm so sorry this happened to you, Desmond. Rest in peace.

Nov 13, 2017

A person in the midst of a mental crisis saying offensive words should have those words ignored and forgiven, within that context.

When my brother is full blown manic, he might as well have Tourette. Why would I hold him to those words?

If your experience is that limited, don't weigh in at all. Fuck a "however" when a guy just committed suicide.
When you don't have the full context of the situation, don't know the person's full mental state, recognize that doing an armchair diagnosis of someone's mental health from behind your computer screen is problematic, see that the behavior they are exhibiting is nearly identical to "troll" behavior, know that a big part of streaming culture is centered around shock and spectacle, and belong to the minority groups that are being attacked...Is it out of the realm of logic to recognize that people were skeptical after being called Jews and faggots?

Jumping down each other's throat's, especially when the post you're replying to was thoughtful and clearly articulated so as to not fan any flames, you're not accomplishing anything but creating even more animosity in this thread.

Echoing what a lot of others have said before me–pointing fingers and accusing people right now isn't doing anything meaningful or productive. It's not healing anyone. It's not honoring this man's life. Era needs to take what happened, learn from it, commit to doing better, and then spread that learning beyond our forum so that places were people don't have the safety of this forum recognize that there are people that care about them and want them to make it through this.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone who is saying "I wish he stayed in the hospital to get help" I don't think gets it, and I'll say this as someone who has bipolar myself: it's a different beast than most mental health issues and while I'm at at it not all mental health issues can be grouped in the same boat. It's entirely possible that Etika himself was actually fine by the time he was released, but sometimes all it takes is snap and you're back to having serious issues: take it from someone who''s had it happen to himself several times. One of the major aspects of a lot of disorders but ESPECIALLY bipolar is that seeking help is crucial, but you need some serious strength to realize yourself when something's happening as medication and therapy does a lot but it only goes so far and in a lot of real world experiences, which aren't just limited to being a social media star of sorts, anything can happen.

Even though now I am seriously looking about going back to college for this, at the moment I am nowhere near an expert and I am not going to pretend I am. One of the things I do have, though, is actual first hand experience with the same disorder that really affected Etika and this situation i sa lot more complex than simply saying "he needed stronger mental help" or "the hospital should have kept him longer" because while those may be true, there's a myriad of issues at play here and it wasn't just one single issue. All I can truly hope for is that since this has blown up to be a full on event that has wider reach than Etika's subscriber base ever was, that as a full on society something changes because this isn't just tragic, WE should be doing better than this.
I also would like to state that sometimes, some psychic wards can make you feel worse. Some have very low budgets and you cannot really talk to a psychiatrist and are just given medicaments. The atmosphere can be heavy and make you feel worse, I was in one for 3 weeks and I cannot say it helped me at all.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Just got home from work to find out this. Definitely not something I was expecting or wanting.

While I didn't follow his content, I did watch some of his reaction videos and you could tell that, while exaggerated, his reactions were very passionate and showed a lot of legit emotion. He certainly made quite an impact in the streaming community.

Also hope this is a wake-up call for a lot of people not to take mental issues lightly. I was really hoping he would get the help he needed, yet the situation ended in the worst way possible, when it was something that could have been avoided.

Rest in peace, my dude.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
Everything about this hit so so fucking hard to me. I tried to take my life a month ago, had pills ready to take in and was planning to drown myself to death. When I went in the water and started to float I tried taking in the pills but I couldn't. I wanted to die but when I had to, I couldn't do it. I can't imagine how it felt for Etika when he jumped. You don't have a choice anymore once you commit. This entire situation made me realize that mental illness is real. That voice in your head that's continuously telling you that you're worth nothing, have no future and that you're better off dead, isn't you. You know this, but the line between that voice and yourself starts to blur and that's when you have a mental breakdown and start making bad decisions. After seeing how his death has effected so many people, and me included, I think I'm going to look into therapy.
Please do. I'm recovering from a severe depression, and what got me out of it was therapy. I could not have done it without therapy. If I could, I would have just solved all my issues by myself in the decade prior. But trying to solve those issues by myself is why I ended up where I did.

Therapy helps, and you deserve to get that help.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Please always talk to someone, anyone, friends, family, strangers, professionals, just please do it.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.

Please do look into therapy, sooner (or even better, right now) rather than later. Mental illness is deadly real (literally). Your story really resonates with me and while I haven't been quite so close to the brink as you with your experience, I've been just a stone's throw away from that more than once and therapy has been an invaluable part of my treatment and recovery since. So has medication, and finding a treatment plan that works for you is also vitally important, but medication can only be so effective without talking to people and undergoing real therapy.

I'm really glad you didn't do it and that you're (relatively) okay. I hope you continue to be. And maybe this is weird because we don't know each other, but if you ever find yourself in a moment of crisis with what seems to be no way out, message me. I'm always, ALWAYS happy to listen and talk to someone in need.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A consecutive series of Tweets with random slurs never should have been taken in a vacuum in the first place.

Let's get down to the damn problem with recognizing and respecting mental illness.

Why not ask "why is a person who doesn't do this suddenly doing this" before just going "he did this I'm bothered fuck him canceled"?

It makes no sense to not stop to see what is going on before leaping directly to outrage, when a situation is completely out of left field.

I live this shit every day of my life. People just do not understand.

And you don't understand either.

They're not just words. Those words have been used to kill Jewish people and homosexuals.

So forgive them if they didn't want to reach out to another person using them.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
This legitimately made me really sad today when I read it. Hopefully everyone can remember him for the positive things he was able to accomplish within the gaming community and at large, and that this can help bring attention to the lack of help there is in general for those suffering from suicidal depression and mental illness.

I'll probably always remember his infectiously upbeat attitude when Howard Stern was ripping on him for his enthusiasm. It takes a lot of self-acceptance to weather that kind of ribbing. I know I would've crumbled.

RIP.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just saw Etika's final 'sorry' video, how devastating it is. I wanted to cry at the end, this dude was a year younger than me for fuck's sake, this could've all been avoided, despite him claiming he had 'no choice'. I'll remember his words for a while. It's a damn good reminder why I post like once a year on my personal Facebook and use Twitter only sporadically, this shit consumes you and he's a victim of that.

Official Staff Communication
As staff we should in fact have paid more attention to and done better with the initial thread, and that's something we've been agonizing over for days. We do usually moderate mental health topics much more vigilantly and that did not happen in this case. We regret that enormously and it's taken a personal toll on all of us.

We do not usually retroactively revisit old threads to issue a lot of bans, but this is an unprecedented situation and we feel it is both appropriate to correct a mistake and also the best way for the community to heal. We will be reviewing the thread again. We have to balance what was known at the time with what is never appropriate, but the bans will not be short.

At the end of the day we are a small team of volunteers trying to keep up with a massive community as best we can. We are members as well and we feel the same things you do.

Thanks for sharing this.

I do believe that the majority criticizing with the harshest words are doing it this way without ill intents and truly care about what happened.

Now let's all be more accepting, loving and understanding to one another.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
And you don't understand either.

They're not just words. Those words have been used to kill Jewish people and homosexuals.

So forgive them if they didn't want to reach out to another person using them.
Yes, but we know he was not a rational actor here. Just as when he attacked a cop.

This is why we try not to make snap judgments on people without context.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017

It really, really isn't you. You aren't your symptoms and you're so much stronger than you realize to have had to live with them so long, but please do get help. You don't have to carry it all by yourself and when you realize that it only makes you stronger.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Heart goes out to you. Glad to see you're looking into therapy. Sometimes, we need an outside push. Sad that this had to be it for you, but I hope you get the help you need. Glad to still have you with us.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
It's both tragic and poetic that such an ugly, harrowing situation has turned into the mirror by which Era finally gazes for some self-reflection.

The dreary state of world affairs has taken a large mental toll on decent folks who pay attention to the news (which is Era's primary demographic). There's so much cultural rage and fear, and over time it can turn otherwise well-intentioned people into twisted caricatures of the causes they've tried to champion in the first place.

In a desperate attempt to make sense of the daily horrors we subject ourselves to reading about day after day and year after year, a laser-focus is put on every individual transgression. The problems in society are so unfathomably complex, so impossibly interconnected by a million different variables, that the macro-reasons underlying things like widespread corruption, bigoted views, and ruthless violence are too big to tackle. But by honing in on the unending supply of individual scapegoats to pin these problems on instead, we can at least bask in the comforting delusion that there's an underlying system of logical, black and white morality at play. If we can just uproot every weed one-by-one, eventually the world will stop being the hateful hellscape that has caused communities like ours to lose all sense of nuance in the first place.

I don't know what the answer is. More compassion towards all is surely part of it, but the fiery justice side of me automatically bristles at the thought of giving people a pass for contributing to the type of woes that keep me up at night. If I really look deep though, I know ultimately that righteous indignation is just a smokescreen many people (myself included) use to justify trodding out their own personal demons. Sure, I made a snap-judgment about the totality of a fellow human being based solely on a single terrible thing they said, but dammit, they spewed hatred first! Can't you see that my venom is now justified?

But people who truly do cling to ignorant, harmful, or otherwise ugly views certainly shouldn't be allowed to let their idea of a perfect society seep into the real world. Trump is prime example number one of what happens when groups like that are allowed to influence society. I have a sneaking suspicion that killing them with kindness just won't work.

In the end, I think the hardest pill to swallow is this: We won't solve society's woes. Ever. Moral and social progress will ebb and flow like the tide, and will continue to do so long after our lives end. The only real way to go to the grave with a life well-lived is by doing what we can to alleviate the suffering in others and ourselves while we're still here. And if that means letting go of your own internal anger so you can have a more serene existence, even as injustices lurk around every turn, so be it. You can still stand up for what's right without building a cave of demons in your head to mentally (or publicly) denigrate every single human soul you've ever witnessed saying or doing something foul.

It's sad that it's taken something as irreversible as suicide to spur these types of discussions, but I hope many of us can take a step back now and examine the internal machinations of our minds. Let's finally turn off the autopilot setting for our collective judgement and vitriol, no matter how justified we think it may be.
Beautifully said. Thank you for writing that.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
c

Talk about not reading the rest of the post. You're ignoring a lot of context about video game culture and what kind of language people have to go through every single day. Those words still hurt people, people still have to go every day seeing one or another excuse for why someone shouldn't take offense to someone's bigoted speech or how you shouldn't feel offended by it.

The only thing I'm trying to bring about right now is that this narrative that people who reacted nastily to Etika "don't care about suicide or the mentally ill" is a huge misrepresentation because it implies that it was the act of him being suicidal that people were spitting at and not the act of him spouting out bigoted hate speech that came with it.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't watch this guy but I am aware of him and as someone who has depression, this whole situation nearly brought me to tears. My condolences to his family and friends. RIP.

kmg90

Feb 20, 2018
I genuinely never heard of this man before today, what is he known for?

I scrolled through multiple pages of this thread and also can't find anything on searching the web that isn't coverage from drama surrounding the past few weeks of troubled state of mind

I'm not implying in any way he is not significant (EVERY ONE IS SIGNIFICANT), it's just I can't find what he was known for.... (other than few react videos)

I will say as a fellow 29 year old, it's way too young. Rest in Peace.