• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I tend to defend Liam on his rumors, but like, he's also been saying this since GAF. The community since GAF generally has shit on him all the time, and no matter if he gets rumors correct, he's still treated like shit by the community.

I'm aware that he's been acting this way since GAF - but that doesn't dilute his complaints at all. If anything, it makes them more prominent, because they still haven't been dealt with even after a new website was made (I actually can't remember off the top of my head how old Era is). The point I was trying to make by including his Tweet was to highlight how the response from the admins slightly missed the point in my opinion - and to also prove my point regarding the pervasive issue with mob mentalities and whatnot on this website. The fact that people still hold a grudge against him after all this time is evidence for this point.

At the end of the day, I'm not trying to take cheap shots at the mod team. I'm trying to make it clear that they need to look into the future and really take a step back and understand how this has happened and how it can be avoided in the future - because nobody wants a thread like the first Etika thread on this site again. It's an embarrassment to look back on, and a stain on this community as a whole.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
While there's definitely a lot of what you said goign on, introspection isn't unwarranted.
I hope you're doing some introspection of your own, considering what you posted in that thread. There's no shame in ignorance if you genuinely care to learn from it, and try your best to do better next time. I hope you do.

Gleethor

Oct 25, 2017
Dot Matrix with stereo sound
I mean I'm definitely more inclined to listen to people with grievances with Era who are actually active in the community and generally care about it. There's no shortage of people like that in this thread.

No need to involve the multitudes who've been previously banned from here or their numerous axes they'd like to grind.

Nov 13, 2017
Alright I'll try to weight in on this with my limited experience.

There is every reason to be sad about everything that happened here, especially since it resulted in someone's death. However something important to note that mental illness is not and never has been en excuse or a justification for saying and doing things that hurt others. That one's not even a controversial opinion. This all exploded with Etika saying some VERY racist and homophobic things and those things hurt people, that cannot be denied.

This whole...

schtick is misleading or in bad faith or both because it is downplaying the things he said as if they were just him getting mad about fucking video games or something when it wasn't. It was part of a larger trend of racism, antisemitism and homophobia that is prevalent in media surrounding video games.

You'll find that the people who react nastiest to those things are people who have to
A. Deal with those things on a day to day basis
B. Are frequently asked to excuse that language for a variety of reasons

And I really want you to focus on that B part. A lot of you people don't realize it but there are many times in this thread and in previous threads where you come off as going

and it is probably unintentional but it really reaches some victim blaming area where people who are hurt are asked to vouch for aggressors under the guise of "mental illness" despite the fact that there are thousands of mentally ill people that do not act that way.

So mods, you're probably not doing a very good job locking stuff like this onhand just because it's going to make people think that you are protecting your own or have some sort of bias and whatnot. But it's important to understand that for the next couple days every website and their mothers is going to be using Etika's death as a springboard for "I TOLD YOU ABOUT ERA I TOLD YOU DOG!". And Era does deserve scrutiny about a lot of things but today it won't be because of hostile responses to people bring up issues of transphobia or toxic displays of machoness both of which happen here far too frequently but because of a misrepresented idea that Era doesn't take suicide seriously.
This times 100. You absolutely nailed it. The expectations that some members in here have of LGBT and Jewish members to just completely dismiss acts of bigotry under the guise of mental illness when the delivery of said acts was nearly identical to the same nonstop internet harassment we've been facing our entire lives is just not realistic.

There is so much nuance to this situation and people need to look beyond the black and white.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A reminder for everyone to remember to feel some empathy for your fellow posters. This kind of thing is a stark reminder that we're all human, we're all going through some shit of our own, and we need to do a better job of listening to one another. We can do better and we will together as long as we slow down, recognize our faults, and work towards a better future. This shit is really getting me down but I know that if we focus on taking whatever positive lessons we can out of all this we'll come out of it ok.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean I'm definitely more inclined to listen to people with grievances with Era who are actually active in the community and generally care about it. There's no shortage of people like that in this thread.

giphy.gif

Hopefully, these same people will listen to my rant fest about Era

[SPOILER"]They won't. Boy, I sure wish there was a massive "shame on Era" on its Islamphobia[/SPOILER]

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I am utterly despondent over this and I dearly wish someone could have gotten through to Etika before it was too late. Mental illness is one of the major silent killers of our generation, and we as a society need -- no, we have -- to be better about confronting it honestly, directly, loudly, and without stigma, especially for groups that are particularly at-risk. Having personally suffered from severe depression throughout my life to the point of sometimes being a danger to myself (this isn't a cry for help; I've got things under control at present), it makes me sick to my very core to think of how horrifically lonely and hopeless Etika must have felt in his final moments. One of the very worst places you can ever be is trapped within the darkness of your own head, and I'm incredibly lucky I've had loved ones to help pull me out while they could still get through to me. I only wish Etika could have been as fortunate.

Let me be as clear as fucking possible: MENTAL ILLNESS IS NEVER A JOKE AND IT'S NEVER YOUR FAULT.

Anyone who believes, or especially says, otherwise or that "it's all in your head, get over it" is an abject monster. There is no middle ground when it comes to mental illness.

Rest in peace, Etika.

Jun 6, 2018
Coming out of lurker retirement just to say this.

Sincerely fuck you to anyone that did the usual Resetera and decided to flame, "cancel" or send any ill will towards Etika. Anyone who actually knew him enough to comment or give a shit about him knew that his behavior was abrupt, was not normal and wanted nothing more than to see him pull through. I hope the mods sift through previous threads and ban your absolute cunt asses because if you fall under this group you need to grow the fuck up and get off your keyboard as you do not deserve a platform. I don't necessarily appreciate mod behavior and what they usually let slide on this garbage gaming political forum but if they are truly taking this as hard as they say I hope they can actually prove me wrong about this place and make some changes. There are people who post here who are genuinely good people and don't jump at the chance to abuse someone after reading a thread title or controversy then proceed to calling a struggling human "dumb" or a "piece of shit" without knowing who the fuck they are even talking about. The people that send positive energy and read all the facts are the people who can make this forum a better place. If Etika only saw the responses from the good people who wanted to help him maybe things could have been a little different.

Richard Masucci has said it better than most.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why people are holding a stupid "I told you so!" in high regard? Who does that sentiment even help? The people who don't even think mental illness is a real problem aren't the people following this situation to begin with.

It's not an "I told you so," it's a direct callout to the people calling what were actually Etika's cries for help, attempts to get attention and fame.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I was waiting for someone to say this. Yes, Liam Robertson hates this website - because of the way he was treated (due to the mob mentality that's on this website), and rightfully so - but his sentiments still hold true in my view. The problem is that the moderation of this website is... mediocre at best. We've seen repeatedly that when it comes to sensitive topics, that the moderation team just cannot take action quick enough. I was reading the old Etika thread earlier and was disgusted at the hundreds of accusations that he was faking it, and was astounded that nothing was done. It was clear months ago the dude was suffering from mental health issues. The response from the admin, while appreciated (silence would be worse), fails to underline how the team will grow and ensure that nothing like this ever happens again, instead choosing to talk about how the issue has affected the mod team personally (and whilst I am sympathetic, this shouldn't be about them). The mob mentality that founded this website (when NeoGaf imploded in the space of a few days) still persists even now, and it annoys me (I very often voice frustration at how some Era members act in this regard), and I want us to improve. However, to improve, you have to be tough and give harsh criticism: and this criticism from Liam and the other user was the best example I could find.

So, how that's for taking cheap shots, eh?
How the moderation team will grow/change will become clear over time. They've admitted to the mistakes and have dealt out punishment. What more are you expecting from them? A 6 month roadmap? They're volunteers dude.

Also making font smaller to hide snide remarks is indeed cheap, yes

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Etika's last video is a harrowing warning for me as someone with mental health problems to harshly limit my consumption of Internet forums and social media. The way in which anonymous and digital users interact with each other on a publicly shared space is very often simply unhealthy and uncivil. I made a thread about this a couple of months ago. I will continue to work harder to protect my mind and my mood from the toxicity and shallow reactions people feed each other online by strictly limiting my time and investment in these spaces. Seeing Etika feel trapped like he had to answer to a legion of digital scrutinizers, critics, and fans is a warning to me about how muddied the water is between social media notoriety and mental health, especially with "cancel" culture.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope you're doing some introspection of your own, considering what you posted in that thread. There's no shame in ignorance if you genuinely care to learn from it, and try your best to do better next time. I hope you do.
You're referring to the thread a while back, right? Yeah, I realized I massively fucked up (and that's putting it lightly) when I heard the news about his altercation with the police.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I never followed Etika. I saw some of his reaction videos and they were funny. I was guilty of being dismissive of his mental health issues, never out loud or in a public forum (why would I ever go around putting people down like that?), but internally I was like, "eh, if he's in a bad spot people around them will help him". Even his last video, which I never saw, just read the descriptions of, (because, again, why would I ever watch the potential suicide note of someone I've never met?), i was dismissive internally.

I feel guilt for this. Even if there was nothing I could have done myself, one person that's never interacted with them, I think, what if I was slightly closer? What if more people that like me were indifferent suddenly weren't? What if it had been a friend of mine? What if it'd had been me there, on the other side of that youtube video?

i've had bouts of suicidal ideation not that long ago, near the end of last semestre. I fucked up a thing royally, disappointed myself and those around me. i pictured how I could kill myself, in a way that was most sure and least painful, (but not too least painful, I needed to punish myself eitherway!). I never went through with it. I feel that I never would have gone through with it. Its not in my nature, I said. I never told anyone but my psychologist, who made me see that suicidal ideation does not come from nowhere. That made me see that going through with it would be damaging to everyone involved at the least. I guess I was lucky. Very much so, having a support structure around me that dashed any potential of that happening. Im in a much better place right now, thank the gods.

But if I hadn't? If that youtube channel I tried to make when I was like 15 took off? If I my life was a public book, a spectacle? If I had gone public with this ideation and posted it online, maybe said some shitty things to get people to pay attention to me? If people had reacted not even in the way YT or FB would react with "kys"s and "attention seeking"s but even in the way some reacted here, in this relatively tolerant forum, with the "eh"s and "I don't believe you"s?

Etika-- Desmond, is a man failed by society. Me and you, person reading this message probably included. Failed by the US police and healthcare system. Failed by rabid "fans" that loved to see their "stars" implode. Failed by an algorithm based, click-bait machine that is social media and youtube. Failed by the games enthusiast community at large. And yes, failed by the ResetEra community.

I love this community and the positives it can bring and show and grow in the videogames enthusiast community at large. But we can always be better. We can aknowledge our mistakes and move to fix them. As individuals and as a community. We might not have been able to save Desmond, as far removed as he probably was from us. But we might have been able to be a positive change in our communities. And if that were the case more people might have been able to help him directly. And maybe, just maybe we still could not have saved him. But we could have helped others. As a community. And perhaps we already do, but wouldn't it be grand if we could help more? Ourselves? I think that's something to strive for...

Desmond Amofah was a passionate man, and that pure passion was perhaps twisted inwards by a fickle, uncaring public. His tragedy was perhaps an avoidable one. And his death was everyone's loss.

Rest in peace, man.
Great write up, and ecstatic you're in a better place. I had major concerns the moment he went missing; regardless of any sceptical explanation others could muster, everything about his behaviour was a massive cry for help.

Not going to bandwagon the meta-discussion here about the reactions from parts of this site - in all honesty there are many pockets of discussion surrounding Desmond's passing online that mirror, if not sink lower, than the dismissive thoughts and comments of posters in these recent threads - but to anybody who has looked at this story, and felt in any way similar to Desmond, please reach out and seek help, even if only on here! I mean, I don't even post there but I've had nothing but the highest level of respect for Era's and formerly Gaf's Mental Help support OT. No matter what you do, do not give in to that desire, that compulsion to lock it into yourself and let it fester.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A reminder for everyone to remember to feel some empathy for your fellow posters. This kind of thing is a stark reminder that we're all human, we're all going through some shit of our own, and we need to do a better job of listening to one another. We can do better and we will together as long as we slow down, recognize our faults, and work towards a better future. This shit is really getting me down but I know that if we focus on taking whatever positive lessons we can out of all this we'll come out of it ok.

Thank you, this is a wonderful post.

In tragedies like this it's easy to place blame elsewhere, but I hope each of us can try to be more empathetic to other people and how we treat each other online.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I was waiting for someone to say this. Yes, Liam Robertson hates this website - because of the way he was treated (due to the mob mentality that's on this website), and rightfully so - but his sentiments still hold true in my view. The problem is that the moderation of this website is... mediocre at best. We've seen repeatedly that when it comes to sensitive topics, that the moderation team just cannot take action quick enough. I was reading the old Etika thread earlier and was disgusted at the hundreds of accusations that he was faking it, and was astounded that nothing was done. It was clear months ago the dude was suffering from mental health issues. The response from the admin, while appreciated (silence would be worse), fails to underline how the team will grow and ensure that nothing like this ever happens again, instead choosing to talk about how the issue has affected the mod team personally (and whilst I am sympathetic, this shouldn't be about them). The mob mentality that founded this website (when NeoGaf imploded in the space of a few days) still persists even now, and it annoys me (I very often voice frustration at how some Era members act in this regard), and I want us to improve. However, to improve, you have to be tough and give harsh criticism: and this criticism from Liam and the other user was the best example I could find.

OT: Personally i criticized him in the past (never by insulting or mobbing) just because i think leakers have huge responsibilities they sometimes tend to ignore: when you want to trick people, or hyping people up for fake news even if you don't know if those are true or not, then you need to come clean afterwards and admit where you are wrong, and unfortunately he threw some of these fake rumors in the past to then delete those tweets to avoid the criticism.

For example i enjoyed Brad Sams transparency report video where he looked back at all his rumors / predictions for E3 2019 and point out where he was right and wrong.

/OT

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
For real. The takeaway absolutely needs to be that people should be better, not that people should be disconnected/punished indefinitely, especially when they have made an effort to express sympathy and discuss how poorly everything went. Taking away someones ability to post on an internet forum (one of the better moderated and respectful ones) doesn't encourage a positive change toward the perceptions of mental health.

Bans are a clear indicator that something isn't acceptable. When people can post that sort of thing about mental health or any other ailment freely the behaviour is encouraged.

Etika likely wasn't influenced by this site, if he even payed attention to it, but other posters have been driven off by the dopiling and insensitive mocking mob behaviour here. Not banning these sort of people leads to things like that Dragon Quest homophobia thread a while back. One of the most disgusting threads I've read on here, but it's an extension of the same attitude.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
How the moderation team will grow/change will become clear over time. They've admitted to the mistakes and have dealt out punishment. What more are you expecting from them? A 6 month roadmap? They're volunteers dude.

I've moderated smaller forums and given roadmaps to how the forum is going to be changing over time.

Hell even a Start, Stop, Continue would be appreciated.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not an "I told you so," it's a direct callout to the people calling what were actually Etika's cries for help, attempts to get attention and fame.
I dunno, man. It just feels like a completely shallow take that I find baffling that people resonate with. There are much more interesting things to say about mental health issues than shitting on peoples' ignorance, many of which have already been posted at length in this thread. Yes, plenty of people are clueless when it comes to how severe depression works. Let's change that via education rather than just going "see! It's a thing!". Yeah no shit.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

I'm not implying they need to produce a detailed plan as to how they'll change - you know as well as I do that such a suggestion is hyperbolic. But the response as it stands gives no implication as to how they might grow - such as by making the rules clearer, or by being more proactive. But when you haven't got much else to say, I suppose hyperbole is the best retord, eh? As I've said, I don't want a repeat of the Etika situation the next time a popular influencer has a breakdown - because it was an embarrassment. Retroactive punishments do little to stem the main issue at hand, though even I will admit they are still a welcome step.

Not hiding it. Gives it a little more oomph.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Back when he got the swat called on him and was running around using the fa- word, my first thought was that he was an asshole rather than someone suffering from mental illness. My response in that thread was that he should be honest with people if he has problems with mental illness and not state that he was just joking about the whole thing in follow up tweets. Clearly, that's not how mental illness works, and I see that now. By the time I saw he had no real control of his actions, he had already posted his suicide note, so it was far too late. I promise to myself to never make light of someone making a public stunt like his ever again for the rest of my life.

Hope you rest in piece, Desmond. Sorry the internet as a whole, myself included, failed you.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Bans are a clear indicator that something isn't acceptable. When people can post that sort of thing about mental health or any other ailment freely the behaviour is encouraged.

Etika likely wasn't influenced by this site, if he even payed attention to it, but not banning these sort of people leads to things like that Dragon Quest homophobia thread a while back. One of the most disgusting threads I've read on here, but it's an extension of the same attitude.

Not disagreeing with the bans. Disagreeing with the reactions to that admin statement. As someone who constantly struggles to stay alive every night, and has lost people to the same struggle, I want people to change their perception, not just demand punishments.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
holy crap...i just watched the whole i'm sorry video he made and...man oh man, all of the signs were there in the video. whenever i felt very, very depressed and thought about what i would say to the people i left behind in a note or something, it is pretty much everything etika addressed in his video...i didnt watch it when he first went missing because i just had a bad, sick feeling and planned on watching it when he was found alive. but geez, for anyone with major depression or whoever has had suicide ideation, geez this video just had all of the signs wow...it hits way way too close to home: the self-blame, the feeling of being trapped, the mental and emotional numbness, the tiredness...geez.

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
End of an era, in my opinion. Horrible end. I actually think he changed the internet and the world in many ways that we don't give a lot of credit to in the insane internet age because everything changes so fast. But micro / macro changes come from individuals like him.

I both understand and do not understand the path he took, and that should scare everyone. We are all capable of having mental health issues at any time in our life, and without our own control or knowledge. Incredibly sad end to this, and his story. :0(

Edit: Also - the role the internet and the self reflection of the internet and his role in the community plays in some of his final statements is a chilling concern for the future of internet stars IMO.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Back when he got the swat called on him and was running around using the fa- word, my first thought was that he was an asshole rather than someone suffering from mental illness. My response in that thread was that he should be honest with people if he has problems with mental illness and not state that he was just joking about the whole thing in follow up tweets. Clearly, that's not how mental illness works, and I see that now. By the time I saw he had no real control of his actions, he had already posted his suicide note, so it was far too late. I promise to myself to never make light of someone making a public stunt like his ever again for the rest of my life.

Hope you rest in piece, Desmond. Sorry the internet as a whole, myself included, failed you.

do not beat yourself up over it. we were all outsiders to the situation and no can be blamed for being rather neutral with the whole situation (although some people in the other thread were downright inhuman in some of their comments). i felt for a moment that maybe it was an attention grab but i always felt it was more of someone struggling mentally. i think we should all move on, self-reflect (everyone), and appreciate the lives we have and try to continue our fight for life everyday.

Nov 13, 2017
This might be a dumb question, but does Twitch offer some kind of health care plans or anything of the sort once you reach the streaming level of fame of people like Etika and Ninja?

elektrocats

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
Somebody died.

And yet many people still feel the need to downplay it because of his mental illness which many here are trying to masquerade as legit racism, homophobia etc etc. Not to get political but this is why our country continues to be so divided and probably will continue to do so, Too many of you are just constantly moving the goal posts around to favor your views and opinions instead of taking a good look at the situation and coming to your senses.

RIP. The internet was a mistake.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
I saw this tweet in my feed and in light of Etika taking his life, I wanted to share this so we can help remove someone like this from YouTube. I recommend you don't listen to the video on Etika very long, it is extremely heartless, hateful and has no place in any community. The guy may be a small fry but he is very much a part of the problem:

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Why paint with such a broad brush? Wouldn't it be more useful, and effective, to educate people like that rather than callously exile them at first?

For the ones who know they need and are willing to be educated, sure. In my experience, though, those kinds of people account for a depressingly small minority. But even then: it only takes one clueless idiot, whether they're simply ignorant or an intentional troll who's trying to be mean as possible, to push someone who is suffering from mental illness over the edge. That is something I have zero tolerance for.

So no, I don't really have anything for those people. You are not wrong when you say it would be more useful and effective to educate those who are willing, but I'm just not that person. There are plenty of people who are much more accommodating and patient with such people than I who can take up that mantle. Spreading awareness and being loud and honest about mental illness is more my thing.

I do appreciate and understand your perspective, though. Thanks for the reply. :)

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why people are holding a stupid "I told you so!" in high regard? Who does that sentiment even help? The people who don't even think mental illness is a real problem aren't the people following this situation to begin with.
I get what you mean. I think it was more the way he said it than what he actually said. It wasn't especially important but I just had that feeling of anger/being fed up and how he responded resonated with me. Sorry if it came across like it was anything more than that.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not implying they need to produce a detailed plan as to how they'll change - you know as well as I do that such a suggestion is hyperbolic. But the response as it stands gives no implication as to how they might grow - such as by making the rules clearer, or by being more proactive. But when you haven't got much else to say, I suppose hyperbole is the best retord, eh? As I've said, I don't want a repeat of the Etika situation the next time a popular influencer has a breakdown - because it was an embarrassment. Retroactive punishments do little to stem the main issue at hand, though even I will admit they are still a welcome step.

Not hiding it. Gives it a little more oomph.
It's pretty clear to me from their response that they'll be treating dismissal of mental illness with harsher punishment moving forward.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There is every reason to be sad about everything that happened here, especially since it resulted in someone's death. However something important to note that mental illness is not and never has been en excuse or a justification for saying and doing things that hurt others. That one's not even a controversial opinion. This all exploded with Etika saying some VERY racist and homophobic things and those things hurt people, that cannot be denied.

This whole...

schtick is misleading or in bad faith or both because it is downplaying the things he said as if they were just him getting mad about fucking video games or something when it wasn't. It was part of a larger trend of racism, antisemitism and homophobia that is prevalent in media surrounding video games.

You'll find that the people who react nastiest to those things are people who have to
A. Deal with those things on a day to day basis
B. Are frequently asked to excuse that language for a variety of reasons

And I really want you to focus on that B part. A lot of you people don't realize it but there are many times in this thread and in previous threads where you come off as going

and it is probably unintentional but it really reaches some victim blaming area where people who are hurt are asked to vouch for aggressors under the guise of "mental illness" despite the fact that there are thousands of mentally ill people that do not act that way.

So mods, you're probably not doing a very good job locking stuff like this onhand just because it's going to make people think that you are protecting your own or have some sort of bias and whatnot. But it's important to understand that for the next couple days every website and their mothers is going to be using Etika's death as a springboard for "I TOLD YOU ABOUT ERA I TOLD YOU DOG!". And Era does deserve scrutiny about a lot of things but today it won't be because of hostile responses to people bring up issues of transphobia or toxic displays of machoness both of which happen here far too frequently but because of a misrepresented idea that Era doesn't take suicide seriously.

i agree to an extent. I think a lot of good people do a lot of bad shit because of their mental health. Whether or not there is consequences is one thing, but understanding that your mental health can lead to shitty choices is something I don't see a lot of people understanding or empathizing with.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was waiting for someone to say this. Yes, Liam Robertson hates this website - because of the way he was treated (due to the mob mentality that's on this website), and rightfully so - but his sentiments still hold true in my view.

The problem is that the moderation of this website is... mediocre at best. We've seen repeatedly that when it comes to sensitive topics, that the moderation team just cannot take action quick enough. I was reading the old Etika thread earlier and was disgusted at the hundreds of accusations that he was faking it, and was astounded that nothing was done. It was clear months ago the dude was suffering from mental health issues.

The mob mentality that founded this website (when NeoGaf imploded in the space of a few days) still persists even now, and it annoys me (I very often voice frustration at how some Era members act in this regard), and I want us to improve. However, to improve, you have to be tough and give harsh criticism: and this criticism from Liam and the other user was the best example I could find.

I disagree with your motives.

Criticism means more when it comes from someone with an intent to improve, not tear down. If I so wanted, I could go onto 4chan, KIA, and other "gamer hubs" to find criticism of this site. But whatever they post isn't going to make this site better, all it is will be a collection of hot-takes and anger with an intent to hurt. I'm not familiar with Miller's history with his site, but his tweets seem to be aimed towards riling people up. Members in this very thread have posted their own critical opinions, and I'd rather take their words over someone nursing a grudge towards this site.

Also, your shots at the "mediocrity" of moderation are in the wrong spirit. The mods can improve, yes, but to actively downplay the efforts of the mods to make this forum a decent place to discuss gaming's issues and areas of improvements is wrong. The moderation team fucked up this time, but they're clearly learning from this event and will do better. That's why I completely disagree at your claim about how "self-centered" their statement is. They made a mistake, and they owned to up to it. At least give them a day to respond fully and propose a plan to be better.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Not disagreeing with the bans. Disagreeing with the reactions to that admin statement. As someone who constantly struggles to stay alive every night, and has lost people to the same struggle, I want people to change their perception, not just demand punishments.

Well you're right. It's not just an admin issue. It's us as well. We all need to learn to be empathetic, not jsut ban thsoe who aren't.

At the same time though, a lot of those posters who spoke about Etika as they did were just allowed to continue posting unimpeded. And sure, there's more effective ways of changing them than banning them, but the mods only have the power to ban and need to remove those sorts of people from controling or influencing the area discourse.

I'd bet there's a lot of posters who engaged with laughing at Etika because of a mob-mentality or trying to be part of the pack that could have been avoided if people had been banned from the start.

Also, as an aside I'm sorry to hear that about you. I don't think we interact much here but I recognise your avatar a lot here and would hate to hear anything happened to you.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

This is bullshit though, what are you trying to justify?

A person in the midst of a mental crisis saying offensive words should have those words ignored and forgiven, within that context.

When my brother is full blown manic, he might as well have Tourette. Why would I hold him to those words?

If your experience is that limited, don't weigh in at all. Fuck a "however" when a guy just committed suicide.