• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fans of Erika can repeat ad nauseam that he didn't mean the things he said because he was ill but if you continued to watch through his outbursts you're part of the problem.

You claim the disgust of watching him act like a monkey on stream but continued to be his revenue stream for the entertainment.

His mental illness should not be your daily laughs or your YouTube drama schadenfruede. You should have turned it off until he accepted help.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
It's some kind of self-harming mental illness, intentionally talk shit like the examples above to make people hate you to confirm no one will give you a chance and will not miss you or anything when you're gone.
Exactly, it's really obvious that he didn't mean any of this. He was a loving guy.

Seemed like some High functioning psychosis from him.

When he got suspended for using the N word in an old tweet, that seriously changed him. RIP.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can see an argument being made about being more empathetic to people who are battling depression but: There's in my opinion no doubt a good amount people are using his suicide to push their agendas because they don't like moderation or are straight up trolls. Now how would we handle this with people like Kanye West or other people with truly horrible views in case they were about to contemplating suicide? What's a cry for help in this situation and what isn't? Plenty of folks use that as an excuse to create a platform for those shitty views. How far do we want them to push it? This doesn't count for the average user but well known people on the internet with mental illness need real help and you can't offer that on a video game forum. All I see right now is plenty of users trying to push their personal agendas with this sites moderation amongst an event where someone has lost his life. To me that's as disgusting as some of the responses in the other thread.

Before today, I largely had no issue with the moderation team or their practices; It was part of the allure of Era.

But the last few days have been really disappointing. If you perceive me now being critical as "pushing an agenda", I don't really know what to say to that.

Jan 11, 2018
I see a lot of blame to mental health professionals and other doctors in this thread and I know it's coming from a place of passionate empathy but you need to know it's just not true. In the US, if a patient is legally an adult - and Etika was 29 - and gives you no evidence that they are still suicidal, you have to let them go or you are, by legal definition, kidnapping them. You can prescribe them medication, but you can't force them to take it. If someone is in medical care for suicidal ideation, they are completely lucid, and they tell you they want to go home, you have to let them go home.

And unfortunately, the thing about mental disorders is that they spend a lot of time convincing you that you don't have them.

As someone who works in health insurance and gets to observe how doctors and pharmacies provide care on a large scale, i can absolutely confirm that there is a lot of substandard care for mental health patients. But the whole system is fucked here, thats for sure.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not. I came into this thread to remorse and as it progressed it turned into what it is now and I offered a reason for some people's skepticism. My first post in this thread is me being angry with Keemstar.

In a complex case about a dude's suicide there is zero way you are unaware how posting all those pictures and saying we have reasons to dislike him would look.

I simply leave you with this. If you are truly empathetic, stop dragging him here and just let people give condolenses

Redstreak

Jan 17, 2018
And a thread about a genuinely nice dude killing himself got derailed into a discussion about forbidden slurs that automatically make you the worst person ever, just like in every other thread on this site. Grow up.

Idk man you're the only that seems to be hung up on the subject of "forbidden words". This is one particular instance where unchecked mental illness caused a person to say things out of character for them and where to people who weren't intimately familiar with the topic thought it looked bad, which to be fair they shouldn't have really thrown their two cents out while being uninformed. Is your solution then to just never get mad at people using slurs cause it kinda seems like that's what you're gunning for.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I'd really rather not have to add on to what's going on in this thread, but I can't find anywhere else that would be more suitable for asking.

When looking at threads like this, which were locked for "metacommentary":

Why is metacommentary banned, exactly? I mean it as a sincere question.

I totally understand not piling on individual users, but banning the entire concept of "talking about the site we're members of" seems bizarre to me.

If metacommentary weren't banned, then this thread wouldn't have to be clogged up with so many posts (like this post that I'm writing right now) that aren't about grieving for Etika's death and celebrating his life.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It went like that the last time we had one
The easy thing is just point the finger at the (unpaid volunteer) mods who are doing the best they can with a huge forum of thousands.

Buts it's the user base. It's always been the fuckin userbase, going back to GAF. I've talked to so many former and current mods/admins about what a thankless, hopeless job this is. A userbase That has continually, for well over a decade, dogpiles and lashes out and attacks and screams over each other. It's like a giant room filled with ten thousand kindergarteners, and it's the teachers fault she can't get the whole room in line?

It's too damn big and sprawling to ever get under control. That's why the best parts of this site have always been in the community section, with a few dozen likeminded regulars who can control their own conversation. Cuz out in gaming/OT side it's the fuckin wilderness man. Prayers up to anybody trying to mod this.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you need to talk to someone and you don't know who to reach there is a mental wellbeing thread, or just pm me, pm anyone, the pathetic and callous actions of people here with this situation don't represent all of us.

Find someone to talk.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Was his "I'm sorry" video posted here at any point in time? I feel like more people needed to see that.

That was the real Etika, barely joking, with no masks for the fans or anything. He was lost.
Exactly. And I already know a lot of people in the other thread didn't even watch it before they dismissed it as attention seeking or whatever else. Shit was heartbreaking to watch, and anyone who came away from it and thought he wasn't serious needs to check themselves.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly this is what disgusts me. This place builds itself up and flaunts how "empathetic" it is, but in the end events like this show it's all a bunch of BS and hypocrisy, especially from the mods and admins. All these people, viewing things only in "good or bad" or "black and white" without a shred of nuance or thought is what led to how pathetic the prior threads were handled.

RIP Etika, I loved your XB2 reaction videos :(
So much this.

Really sorry, Etika... I'll miss you 😔

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
Can some of you posters take the moderation/member attacks/Era commentary elsewhere so people who want to discuss Etika/Mental Health/this tragedy can do so without another thread getting locked?

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
This right here is why this forum is getting insufferable. A guy is clearly mentally unstable, suicidal and having a mental breakdown? Fuck him! He said forbidden words! Oh, he actually committed suicide? Who cares! He said forbidden words!

This forum's obsession with bad words is astounding.
If others weren't so focused on dunking on people who had issues in the past, it probably wouldn't go that route. I think if anything, this was an eye-opener for many and a good chance for all of us to learn to improve, but some of you seem more focused on call outs. We could all stand to be a bit more empathetic and not try to place blame on what's a pretty complicated situation.

I always refrained from dogging on the guy, but I know I was skeptical in the past. Not sure if it means anything, but I will definitely be better going forward.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People had valid reasons to be skeptical of Etika and be frustrated with him. Look at the things he was saying. This situation isn't as simple as some are making it to be, these words are hurtful.

NgS6Rbd.png

Z6v55oX.png

qBCYZeg.png

QOtRm4F.png

It's tragic that this man who built up this channel and a lot of fans died in this manner as he didn't deserve to go out like this. However these words were definitely harmful and some people's frustrations were warranted I feel.

What is really sad to me is that this kind of self-destructive behavior is likely what drove Etika to suicide. He said in his video that he had pushed everyone away because he felt like a god who couldn't suffer consequences. To me these comments seem driven by that mentality.

I understand if you were personally hurt by Etika's comments. He was hurt by them too, and paid the ultimate price for them.

AdolRed

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
United States
User Banned (Permanent): Concern Trolling and Community Attacks in a Sensitive Thread; Numerous Prior Infractions; Account in Junior Phase
I can't believe a community whose only guiding principle is spineless civility handled such a delicate topic poorly

Jun 17, 2019
Fans of Erika can repeat ad nauseam that he didn't mean the things he said because he was ill but if you continued to watch through his outbursts you're part of the problem.

You claim the disgust of watching him act like a monkey on stream but continued to be his revenue stream for the entertainment.

His mental illness should not be your daily laughs or your YouTube drama schadenfruede. You should have turned it off until he accepted help.
I'm curious how cutting off his means of making of living is supposed to be helpful to a person who is already mentally breaking down.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean as a queer woman no anti-gay slur has ever hurt me the way that the flip treatment of mental illness does. Not ever.

Because as awful as it is to be called a slur, as much as it does hurt, I know that the vast majority of people understand that I'm not a monster because I'm gay. But a shocking number of people still really suggest -- through their actions, their words, their treatment of others -- that my mental illness makes me monstrous, irredeemable, and worthy of being shunned.

You want to hold him to a higher standard because kids were watching, but you really don't seem to think about how your own words look to people who are suffering from mental illness.

Couldn't agree more

People still flippantly use "OCD" to express being overly organized despite it being an extremely serious mental illness that millions of people currently suffer from.

It sucks to see people who want to do right by others still fall into traps regarding mental illness. We have so much more to go before it's taken remotely seriously

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I can see an argument being made about being more empathetic to people who are battling depression but: There's in my opinion no doubt a good amount people are using his suicide to push their agendas because they don't like moderation or are straight up trolls. Now how would we handle this with people like Kanye West or other people with truly horrible views in case they were about to contemplating suicide? What's a cry for help in this situation and what isn't? Plenty of folks use that as an excuse to create a platform for those shitty views. How far do we want them to push it? This doesn't count for the average user but well known people on the internet with mental illness need real help and you can't offer that on a video game forum. All I see right now is plenty of users trying to push their personal agendas with this sites moderation amongst an event where someone has lost his life. To me that's as disgusting as some of the responses in the other thread.
I can't speak for everyone in this thread but you do understand that genuine people that have shared their grievances pretty respectfully with a hope to be heard have been banned already. To paint it all as agenda pushing and trolls because there is no difference to the moderation is just...
.... You know what whatever, I guess it's pretty clear people don't actually care. Everyone being negative is a troll /caseclosed #easylife *shrug*.

Chariot

Oct 26, 2017
Hamburg
That some people could abuse it shouldn't be an argument to help people in need.

There are people that take advantage of food banks, of people being generous, people that live on social benefits who couldn't but just don't want to work - however, that doesn't make food banks and social security bad.

Secondly, you say that a gaming forum is not a place to provide help for suicidal thoughts. That's fair. What's not fair is letting people just dismiss and run over someone with suicidal thoughts. And that's the issue many people have.

Why do you think users "push the agenda" of getting the mods to talk about the issue? Because there is no other place in this forum where people can do this, so it happens in the related places.

xinoart

Oct 27, 2017
And y'all wanted a community thread to openly discuss things politely huh

The problem with the internet at large is that almost no one calls people on their bullshit. There are more than a handful of people in this thread who rightly do need to be called on their bullshit and either warned/banned.

Calling out any issue you have with moderation is frowned upon by almost all mods and even paraded around like some beacon of nobility that we can't talk about issues in the public view. This thread is an example of this.

Shutting down any previous Etika threads because of some words that were taken solely at face value is problematic at the very least and a window into how hypocritical the entire moderation process is. It's not just this forum.

I don't care who they are and even if they run/pay for this website. Every mod who is a shitheel should be called out publicly. There is no reason to hide decisions from the public other than they don't want anyone to question their absolute authority. It's how dictators and regimes get started. This very forum was created because of the hypocrisy of GAF and it's admins, mods, and owner. If you can't see any parallel in this topic, then you don't want to see it. Mods on here are hypocritical when it comes to religion, mental health, obesity, and probably a few others that I'm forgetting.

This is sad outcome and perhaps, JUST MAYBE, this wouldn't have happened if enough people read the actual topics in the previous threads and tried or at least offered help instead of shutting down any discussion that could have led to him surviving this ordeal and becoming a spokesperson for streamers with mental issues to either seek help or at least talk about it openly on their preferred medium/media of choice.

We will never know if any of that would've changed what happened, because no one gave it much of a chance. They just shut it down because of reasons that few people really know (if any).

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User banned (permanent): Trolling, attacking the community, inventing highly inflammatory accusations. No moderator created any such thread, no such thread was deleted.
So now the thread that admin made to mock on suicidal guy is gone. Deleted. Erased like it never existed.

You really like covering your tracks you pieces of shit. It's all true what people say: it's a place of hypocritical mob.

Fuck this vile place and it's mods.

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
This was the last photo I took with Etika. It was only three days before he disappeared. I felt you all may want to see this, as the thread honors his memory.

Last edited:

Jadusable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe a community whose only guiding principle is spineless civility handled such a delicate topic poorly

This is going to be a huge blight on the community for a long time, mark my words. Lot of eyeballs on here right now that have never paid attention to ERA before and the hypocrisy of the images circulating the internet of screencaps of reaction posts to Etika's videos is on display for the rest of the internet to see.

Bookkoo

Apr 9, 2018
Truly, disappointed with a lot of people here, and what this thread is turning into

I was not an Etika follower and did not follow much about him, but at the end of the day we lost a fellow gamer and Nintendo fan and that's what sucks. I have had two friends commit suicide in the past 2 months, suicide is a real problem. RIP dude

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Etika seemed like a really fun dude to be around. His enthusiasm was infectious. Really sucks to see things turn out this way.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kind of at a loss here, can someone give ma a TLDR on how did this thread went from Etika's death to discussing the ethics of the moderation team?

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I wonder if the people in the thread complaining that they can't complain about moderation have the self-awareness to realize that they've been openly complaining about moderation for the better hour without getting shut down on what is no doubt a closely monitored thread right now

Why does this matter?

I'm sure they are aware of this. But what do you have to gain by bringing it up?

It was, people mocked him and it got locked.
www.resetera.com

Etika Nintendo Gamer Youtuber Just made an apology video that seems to be very suicidal

if you dont know who is etika he is a famous youtuber that over hypes nintendo stuff and usually has fun crazy streams. for last couple of months, he had some meltdowns but seemed to be back a few weeks ago untill today at 12 midnight he uploaded this video. take in mind that he lives in NYC and...

Had no idea this thread existed... Must've missed it. Shouldn't have read that first page. Might need a break after reading some of this.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Can some of you posters take the moderation/member attacks/Era commentary elsewhere so people who want to discuss Etika/Mental Health/this tragedy can do so without another thread getting locked?
That's actually what people have been talking about. It's been talked about in the past in other threads and they all get locked.

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck.

I haven't been a fan for long as it was only the past year where I discovered his content, specifically his Xenoblade 2 streams. He had such a great air of charisma around him and likeability that you couldn't help but like him and share with his joy.

This such a sad and terrible loss.

RIP Etika

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
I'd really rather not have to add on to what's going on in this thread, but I can't find anywhere else that would be more suitable for asking.

When looking at threads like this, which were locked for "metacommentary":

Why is metacommentary banned, exactly? I mean it as a sincere question.

I totally understand not piling on individual users, but banning the entire concept of "talking about the site we're members of" seems bizarre to me.

If metacommentary weren't banned, then this thread wouldn't have to be clogged up with so many posts (like this post that I'm writing right now) that aren't about grieving for Etika's death and celebrating his life.
I agree with this notion. We should be allowed to metcommentate to better ourselves. Otherwise we're at risk of closed minded views.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is no place for a wall of shame. I took issue with that when it was initially posted. I think the mods were right to remove that image specifically. However I don't think it's off topic to talk about how we can be better. That is very relevant to this terrible tragedy.

ERA was just as toxic as anywhere else in regards to Etika. We need to take a hard look at how we treat people here, and something needs to change. As many have mentioned there is a great mental health thread. People in that community to amazing work and should NOT be lumped together with the bad apples. That is a safe place. However that safe place is one thread on a massive forum where there is a surprising amount of toxicity. The mods here generally do great work. I'm not here to criticize them. However, we need to set a higher standard for how we treat other human beings, especially in cases that may involve mental illness.

We can and have to do better. It starts with us as a community. We have to hold ourselves to a higher standard and lead by example. We have to report posts that are hurtful or dismissive in anyway. We have to be the change we want to see in the world. But the mods have to enforce a higher standard. There will always be bad apples, and we can't let them get away anymore. Snarky, dismissive toxicity is not ok. We cannot stand for that anymore. We need to treat each other and those around us on and off the internet with respect. There are no exceptions.
The moderation on this forum in regardsto mental health issues is severely lacking. Just today someone made a thread asking for sincere advice about a possible porn addiction, and the thread is full of users making jokes, talking about what porn to watch and swapping porn titles, which is all incredibly disrespectful behavior when someone is reaching out to this community for assistance with their mental health.

The many past threads on Etika, particularly his suicidal posts, were full of people suggesting he was just 'crying wolf' which is not a fucking thing when it comes to suicidal ideation. Posts like that should at least get a warning, if not an outright temporary ban. The mental health thread here is a great resource, but the larger community has a huge empathy problem when it comes to mental health (addiction, suicidal ideation, depression, triggering/trauma, etc.) and the moderation is not doing enough to address it.

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He was mentally ill. He was being self destructive. I've done similar in the past, not using the words he did, but I've lashed out and acted terrible to people around me when I've been at my worst mentally.
It's some kind of self-harming mental illness, intentionally talk shit like the examples above to make people hate you to confirm no one will give you a chance and will not miss you or anything when you're gone.
Exactly this. But people will still dismiss this and believe he is like the likes of Pewdiepie and jontron...

Oct 25, 2017

Fiona Nova was a close friend of Etika... and imo this thread she mad is talking about something that really fucking bothers me about how some people are treating his death and Etika while he had his breakdown.

People have just boiled down this dude and instead of posting anything significant they just post gifs and memes saying "wow, I'm sad" and ones that egged him on while he had his breakdown.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not. I came into this thread to remorse and as it progressed it turned into what it is now and I offered a reason for some people's skepticism. My first post in this thread is me being angry with Keemstar.

Save your remorse. You should be fucking ashamed of yourself.

Kokonoe said:
I have not been dismissive, he could very well kill himself. But don't expect everyone to care about a bigot who is constantly baiting people regardless of his mental health and put on a whole parade like three times already and we have one more example in this thread that this may be planned.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm kind of at a loss here, can someone give ma a TLDR on how did this thread went from Etika's death to discussing the ethics of the moderation team?

No because the thread will be locked and scrubbed.

This was the last photo I took with Etika. It was only three days before he disappeared. I felt you all may want to see this, as the thread honors his memory.

Fuck, that's such a beautiful picture too. I hope he had a good time.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious how cutting off his means of making of living is supposed to be helpful to a person who is already mentally breaking down.
How is using it for your own entertainment better. He rejected help from his friends and family and he still had a legion of fans doing nothing but goading and defending him. If you cared you should have turned that shit off, not continued to be part of the fire.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

I think it's a combination of the fact that this was a drastically mishandled situation which may demand moderator action, seeing as how the moderators are the ones in the bet position to change the culture of the forum, combined with people already having legitimate or illegitimate issues with moderation.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My point was, if I wasn't clear, was he said hurtful things about races while clearly being mentally unwell. Yet this can be seen as an anomaly because when he made a video about the n-word, he was articulate, pointed, talking about the power and control of language. Very clearly you can see a difference between "this is how he usually acts" to "this is different".

And people took the different take to be all about attention, always about clicks. If they didn't outright "cancel" him until today, thinking his suicide video was just "another grab at attention" to paraphrase the sentiment posted.

Personally, I don't hold racist words that someone says during a mental breakdown against them. If one wants to be a puritan about it, it explains how pervasive the lack of understanding mental illness really is amongst those that did just that against him. People should have been concerned, not offended, when he posted those posts.
The problem is most people didn't even know the man, but saw that he said bad stuff on twitter and instantly labelled him as a racist homophobe, and everytime they saw his name their reactions were...well like the ones we have seen.

Oct 25, 2017
Gordita Beach
The easy thing is just point the finger at the (unpaid volunteer) mods who are doing the best they can with a huge forum of thousands.

Buts it's the user base. It's always been the fuckin userbase, going back to GAF. I've talked to so many former and current mods/admins about what a thankless, hopeless job this is. A userbase That has continually, for well over a decade, dogpiles and lashes out and attacks and screams over each other. It's like a giant room filled with ten thousand kindergarteners, and it's the teachers fault she can't get the whole room in line?

It's too damn big and sprawling to ever get under control. That's why the best parts of this site have always been in the community section, with a few dozen likeminded regulars who can control their own conversation. Cuz out in gaming/OT side it's the fuckin wilderness man. Prayers up to anybody trying to mod this.
That probably is the larger issue, it's simply too big to really deal with.

Probably why discords are much more relaxing to me.

Deleted member 28076

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A thread was posted about what eventually became Etika's suicide note when he posted it, which was treated with a callous response by many Era members including a moderator. The administration has seemingly made it clear that nobody in that thread is going to be punished. https://www.resetera.com/threads/et...-video-that-seems-to-be-very-suicidal.124467/