• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
And the trolls come out the woodwork. No surprise here.
Some of the bans I'm seeing in here are not trolls. They are actually people that know what they're talking about instead of this joke of a moderation that let this shitshow happen to begin with.

Ban me too for this now honestly but maybe it's time to actually deal with criticism instead of silencing it like it has happened several times over for a lot of issues on this site.

Jun 17, 2019
Not everybody is coming from the same place, or can discern between "not mentally well" and "straight-up bigoted." Words affect people in a lot of different ways. I'm not defending people's dismissal of Etika's cries for help as anything but abhorrent, but at the same time I'm not going to get mad at somebody who has been harassed and attacked emotionally and even physically for their sexual orientation when they react in anger or hurt when somebody starts throwing the word "fag" around at them. Appreciation for mental health goes both ways. In general this whole sorry episode should be a reminder that people are dealing with a lot of things that they don't expose on the surface, and we could ALL use a lot more empathy.

There was a lot of evidence to suggest he wasn't mentally well, it wasn't very difficult to discern.

Which is not even to say that people shouldn't have been made at him, just that they shouldn't have been saying things like "he's a piece of shit. fuck him." in response to him having episodes,

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, the what? I'm pretty critical of Era at times but I've never ever seen the site be pro-pedophilia? Did I miss something?

A vindictive bigot, who was banned from this site for downplaying racism, doctored evidence to falsely frame this forum as some pro-pedophilia den. Their audience, which consists of people who refuse to improve themselves and instead blame others for their mistakes (ie people who were also banned), ate it up. And now those losers are popping up in this thread to spread misinformation. Just ignore them.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rest easy wherever you are, Desmond. You deserve it. I'm sorry that you, and countless others slip through the cracks. This could have been different, my heart aches for you.

We need more empathy for one another, and a massive look at our mental health systems and how we handle it.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
When I first knew of Etika around March 2017 via Alex he had a GF. They broke up sometime in 2017 or 2018 GF claimed he refused to get help with his mental issues. His GF even made a video explaining why. He tried to brush it off then his meltdown started over months. First red flag was when he deleted his original channel

So.it was known he had issues but people around him treated his outbursts as entertainment and Era turned on him cause he said stuff that was very crude by all measure. I avoided the giant thread on him some months back but by the looks of it people harassed him over his crude bigoted language

I don't have the right answer or know how to properly handle someone having a breakdown in such a public fashion over the span of one year . But I think a lot of people let him down, including his friends. Eras reaction probably didn't help but he probably didn't care either way

He needed help. RiP. Joycon Boyz was the best Switch meme.

carlystan

Mar 23, 2019
Fuck. RIP. I didn't watch his videos very often, but when I did I was always entertained.

Pretty fed up with the staff on this site. Era is so fucking faux-progressive and that's why I continue to simply lurk. Ban the users who mocked Etika for being mentally ill. And while you're at it, ban CDPR and THQ Nordic hype threads as well. At least pretend that you actually care about vulnerable people.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
People had valid reasons to be skeptical of Etika and be frustrated with him. Look at the things he was saying. This situation isn't as simple as some are making it to be, these words are hurtful.

NgS6Rbd.png

Z6v55oX.png

qBCYZeg.png

QOtRm4F.png

It's tragic that this man who built up this channel and a lot of fans died in this manner as he didn't deserve to go out like this. However these words were definitely harmful and some people's frustrations were warranted I feel.

People with mental health issues can say things they don't mean.
He had been suffering, and showcased self destructive behavior. I'm not dismissing what he said, but at the same time you can't dismiss what he had been going through and prompted him to say these things.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mental illness isn't something you can just move past or walk off. It's something that affects the very thoughts and thought processes of those unfortunate to suffer it. Etika needed sustained professional help and treatment, but never received it. Worse, people thought he was just clowning, indulged, and encouraged his behavior when it was clear he was spiraling downward.

Quoting this for visibility.

It's a good post and it lines up with my own experiences, struggling with mental health. I don't think a lot of people seem to grasp just how significant of an effect it has on your ability to think rationally. In fact, I think a lot of people take it for granted, judging from some of the responses made in this thread

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Locking the threads is just admitting defeat to the trolls though. What looks worse, a thread with you whacking bad actors who are trying to shut down serious conversation or admitting defeat and shutting down the conversation yourself? With the prior at least you're making an effort.

In a world where staff was getting paid, sure, but the moderators and administrators don't get paid and volunteer time for this between whatever full-time work they do. This is a passion project for them, and I can understand why they don't want to reopen that can of worms again.

She. But even as an ex-siteadmin, she's still a community leader and would do well to reflect on what actions she can take to improve the community in terms of compassion instead of doubling down on the current path. "We tried that; it didn't work," is not an encouraging answer when (most) people are criticizing from a position of care for inclusivity and transparency.

I don't think the issue has anything to do with staff or how moderation is handled. I think it has everything to do with a community that jumps to cancel or dunk on people, lacks basic human empathy, and generally isn't interested in having discourse or conversation about most topics. There's not enough moderators in the world to fix the problems that this community has. There's no magic rules that can fix it either. It can only be fixed by the community, within the community. While the community will always hold a close place in my heart, it is part of the reason I stepped down as community manager.

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
god this really hit me hard after watching a clip of his last video, I didnt want to believe that he'd actually do it and hoped that he'd seek out some help. I feel like even I could have done more...something...anything. Idk this whole situation has me incredibly anxious like the whole day just soured over. Anyways, rest in peace Etika hopefully Youtube does right by him and restores his channel/videos so we more content to remember him by.

Jar0d

Banned
Jun 11, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Excusing Bigotry, Highly Inflammatory Attacks Against Staff, and Hostility Towards other Members Over Multiple Posts; Account in Junior Phase

Maybe it's just time to stop posting, don't you think ?

One of those situations led to someone death and many members seems to have contributed, even by just casting small stones. Things add up. I don't think it's the right time to make shitty comparisons to further some weird agendas.

Yes, by the way, if you absolutely want to make comparison, I think people shitting on someone with mental health issues that led to his death and the Resetera moderation doing nothing about it, is way worse than what happened on Neogaf.

But even as an ex-siteadmin, she's still a community leader

Not my leader, that's for certain, regardless of the past responsibilities.

Croco

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Defending bigotry, history of similar infractions.
And a thread about a genuinely nice dude killing himself got derailed into a discussion about forbidden slurs that automatically make you the worst person ever, just like in every other thread on this site. Grow up.

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
What led all up to this? I never really followed him, but I know he had a couple breakdowns along the way. I just never knew what they werr about. What exactly is he so sorry for?

Tragic news :( . RIP.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I have a lot of thoughts on this, but I'm so weary and sad and just worked for 10 hours so I'm just going to leave it be so I don't get banned.

I just wish internet culture was better. We have the power to lift people up instead of tearing them down. There's no true enjoyment that can be found in watching others fall.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
The thing is that this is an incredibly difficult and complex situation to talk about, has the potential to lead to very dark consequences, and did, in fact lead to the darkest worst case scenario.

But leading campaigns to quarter folks ain't it. Nor is it lashing out by saying that no one was helping him (which is one slap in the face to the people that we know did likely try to support him leading up to the end). This needs to be a learning experience for everyone that mental illness is never something to take lightly, as there's no repeats if things turn out like they did here.

Alternatively, also don't be like the old place in using this as a means to rail against a certain, purple-themed message board.
I can see an argument being made about being more empathetic to people who are battling depression but: There's in my opinion no doubt a good amount people are using his suicide to push their agendas because they don't like moderation or are straight up trolls. Now how would we handle this with people like Kanye West or other people with truly horrible views in case they were about to contemplating suicide? What's a cry for help in this situation and what isn't? Plenty of folks use that as an excuse to create a platform for those shitty views. How far do we want them to push it? This doesn't count for the average user but well known people on the internet with mental illness need real help and you can't offer that on a video game forum. All I see right now is plenty of users trying to push their personal agendas with this sites moderation amongst an event where someone has lost his life. To me that's as disgusting as some of the responses in the other thread.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Frustration is absolutely warranted at least, dismissing him completely as a person is not.

My point was, if I wasn't clear, was he said hurtful things about races while clearly being mentally unwell. Yet this can be seen as an anomaly because when he made a video about the n-word, he was articulate, pointed, talking about the power and control of language. Very clearly you can see a difference between "this is how he usually acts" to "this is different".

And people took the different take to be all about attention, always about clicks. If they didn't outright "cancel" him until today, thinking his suicide video was just "another grab at attention" to paraphrase the sentiment posted.

Personally, I don't hold racist words that someone says during a mental breakdown against them. If one wants to be a puritan about it, it explains how pervasive the lack of understanding mental illness really is amongst those that did just that against him. People should have been concerned, not offended, when he posted those posts.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am aware. It doesn't stop it from being hurtful. It doesn't stop it from reaching a large audience of kids who see this behavior and might mimic it. I understand he was suffering, but these words hurt me regardless of his mindset.

You're fair to express your own feelings, but not fully acknowledging (or understanding) just how much Etika struggled with his own mental illness and going with the "but what about the children!" excuse is pretty low.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yup. The staff here are horrible. There have been four or five locked threads relating to Etika with each saying "we are reviewing reports" or something and no action has been taken. Absolutely awful.
Incredibly awful. A mod, who should be held to the highest of standards gets a free pass for an incredibly awful post. Sure, that person is an ex mod now, but they in no way have been held to the same standards as anyone else, who would have been instantly banned for that kind of post.

Moral of the story, find your way into the mod club and you'll be protected no matter what bs you post.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is no place for a wall of shame. I took issue with that when it was initially posted. I think the mods were right to remove that image specifically. However I don't think it's off topic to talk about how we can be better. That is very relevant to this terrible tragedy.

ERA was just as toxic as anywhere else in regards to Etika. We need to take a hard look at how we treat people here, and something needs to change. As many have mentioned there is a great mental health thread. People in that community to amazing work and should NOT be lumped together with the bad apples. That is a safe place. However that safe place is one thread on a massive forum where there is a surprising amount of toxicity. The mods here generally do great work. I'm not here to criticize them. However, we need to set a higher standard for how we treat other human beings, especially in cases that may involve mental illness.

We can and have to do better. It starts with us as a community. We have to hold ourselves to a higher standard and lead by example. We have to report posts that are hurtful or dismissive in anyway. We have to be the change we want to see in the world. But the mods have to enforce a higher standard. There will always be bad apples, and we can't let them get away anymore. Snarky, dismissive toxicity is not ok. We cannot stand for that anymore. We need to treat each other and those around us on and off the internet with respect. There are no exceptions.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
In a world where staff was getting paid, sure, but the moderators and administrators don't get paid and volunteer time for this between whatever full-time work they do. This is a passion project for them, and I can understand why they don't want to reopen that can of worms again.

I can understand that, modding sucks but the same time if you pick up the sword you should know what you're getting into. Anyone who voluntarily wants to be a mod on any site are outta their mind IMO lol.

Also maybe they *should* be paid, the job sucks and this site does generate revenue from people paying monthly + ads. Anyways I've said my peace, hopefully everyone that has been affected by Etika's death will find theirs.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
I am aware. It doesn't stop it from being hurtful. It doesn't stop it from reaching a large audience of kids who see this behavior and might mimic it. I understand he was suffering, but these words hurt me regardless of his mindset.
I'm sorry you were hurt and thank you for sharing with us. But considering the context of when they were said, do you really think your comment is best posted in this situation? To me it reeks of someone trying to reconcile the dismissive things they said once the reality of Etika's mental health became clear.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I might be able to give some insight into this. This is a cynical view but most likely realistic. It all comes down to money. According to similarweb (not completely accurate but gives a good estimate) era is getting around 17 million hits per month. When it comes to ad revenue, that amount of traffic can be very lucrative. I'm going to be extremely vague here but I know for a fact another gaming related website that gets around 3 million hits per month is making around $20,000 per month just on ads.

If there is any sort of event that causes a mass exodus from era, the owner will lose a ton of money.

I guess this is worth a permaban :/

This is silly. Can we please not dive into conspiracy theory nonsense?

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, enough. This isn't the time or place for you to be doing this. The complexity of the situation regardless, why are you so hell bent on dragging this dude moments after discovery of his suicide? You know this isn't the time for it.
I'm not. I came into this thread to remorse and as it progressed it turned into what it is now and I offered a reason for some people's skepticism. My first post in this thread is me being angry with Keemstar.

Fuck Keemstar for making a parade of his mental health.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

I don't think the issue has anything to do with staff or how moderation is handled. I think it has everything to do with a community that jumps to cancel or dunk on people, lacks basic human empathy, and generally isn't interested in having discourse or conversation about most topics. There's not enough moderators in the world to fix the problems that this community has. There's no magic rules that can fix it either. It can only be fixed by the community, within the community. While the community will always hold a close place in my heart, it is part of the reason I stepped down as community manager.
I don't think people are talking about rank and file mods here. They're talking about much more higher-ups.

This community began with a commitment to transparency. Today, it's rather non-existent. That's a strategic commitment, not just a tactical one.

Locking threads is just a tactic, but it shows there's a lack of commitment to that original focus.

Jun 17, 2019
My point was, if I wasn't clear, was he said hurtful things about races while clearly being mentally unwell. Yet this can be seen as an anomaly because when he made a video about the n-word, he was articulate, pointed, talking about the power and control of language. Very clearly you can see a difference between "this is how he usually acts" to "this is different".

And people took the different take to be all about attention, always about clicks. If they didn't outright "cancel" him until today, thinking his suicide video was just "another grab at attention" to paraphrase the sentiment posted.

Personally, I don't hold racist words that someone says during a mental breakdown against them. If one wants to be a puritan about it, it explains how pervasive the lack of understanding mental illness really is amongst those that did just that against him. People should have been concerned, not offended, when he posted those posts.

Sure, that makes sense.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Excusing the use of hate speech and slurs
People had valid reasons to be skeptical of Etika and be frustrated with him. Look at the things he was saying. This situation isn't as simple as some are making it to be, these words are hurtful.

NgS6Rbd.png

Z6v55oX.png

qBCYZeg.png

QOtRm4F.png

It's tragic that this man who built up this channel and a lot of fans died in this manner as he didn't deserve to go out like this. However these words were definitely harmful and some people's frustrations were warranted I feel.

As you get older in life you really do start to understand that words....well are just words. Without any intent they hold no power. Problem we have on here is that everything has to be Black and White. People are too desperate to be seen as progressive and want to wear that shit like a brownie badge.

Etika isn't defined by an outburst. You can be critical of said outburst but at the same time if you really are progressive, really have empathy then try and understand the ''WHY''. A young man has felt the need to take his own life because he could see no other way out, that needs to be the real story here.

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
Was his "I'm sorry" video posted here at any point in time? I feel like more people needed to see that.

That was the real Etika, barely joking, with no masks for the fans or anything. He was lost.
I don't think the whole one was posted. It's truly unnerving seeing a human being on the verge of committing suicide.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
I can see an argument being made about being more empathetic to people who are battling depression but: There's in my opinion no doubt a good amount people are using his suicide to push their agendas because they don't like moderation or are straight up trolls. Now how would we handle this with people like Kanye West or other people with truly horrible views in case they were about to contemplating suicide? What's a cry for help in this situation and what isn't? Plenty of folks use that as an excuse to create a platform for those shitty views. How far do we want them to push it? This doesn't count for the average user but well known people on the internet with mental illness need real help and you can't offer that on a video game forum. All I see right now is plenty of users trying to push their personal agendas with this sites moderation amongst an event where someone has lost his life. To me that's as disgusting as some of the responses in the other thread.

A Good Post

stupei

Oct 26, 2017

I mean as a queer woman no anti-gay slur has ever hurt me the way that the flip treatment of mental illness does. Not ever.

Because as awful as it is to be called a slur, as much as it does hurt, I know that the vast majority of people understand that I'm not a monster because I'm gay. But a shocking number of people still really suggest -- through their actions, their words, their treatment of others -- that my mental illness makes me monstrous, irredeemable, and worthy of being shunned.

You want to hold him to a higher standard because kids were watching, but you really don't seem to think about how your own words look to people who are suffering from mental illness.

Jadusable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This video is required watching for people who say "I feel bad for him, but the things he said were problematic"

Those people are unhinged and maladjusted to the real world, plain and simple. No one should really care too much what they think. These aren't people who are altruistically trying to better the social climate, they've revealed themselves time and time again on this forum to just be looking for an excuse to spew vitriol and hurt people and get away with it.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Was his "I'm sorry" video posted here at any point in time? I feel like more people needed to see that.

That was the real Etika, barely joking, with no masks for the fans or anything. He was lost.

It was, people mocked him and it got locked.
www.resetera.com

Etika Nintendo Gamer Youtuber Just made an apology video that seems to be very suicidal

if you dont know who is etika he is a famous youtuber that over hypes nintendo stuff and usually has fun crazy streams. for last couple of months, he had some meltdowns but seemed to be back a few weeks ago untill today at 12 midnight he uploaded this video. take in mind that he lives in NYC and...

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
Man, I just watched his goodbye video again and damn, this hurts and breaks my heart now so deeply that we know what happened. Once he realized all the things he made, he couldn't take the the burden of it, I wish some fan recognized him and helped him while we was talking in this video, I feel sick.

PER_Soul

Apr 2, 2019
Lima, Peru
Not everybody is coming from the same place, or can discern between "not mentally well" and "straight-up bigoted." Words affect people in a lot of different ways. I'm not defending people's dismissal of Etika's cries for help as anything but abhorrent, but at the same time I'm not going to get mad at somebody who has been harassed and attacked emotionally and even physically for their sexual orientation when they react in anger or hurt when somebody starts throwing the word "fag" around at them. Appreciation for mental health goes both ways. In general this whole sorry episode should be a reminder that people are dealing with a lot of things that they don't expose on the surface, and we could ALL use a lot more empathy.
Because people do not fucking care, they can´t tell the difference because they do not bother to care about a fucking people going through this spiral of destructive behavior, I wouldn't be alive right now without the people that we are able to help me live after all the things I said, is a fucking a world , it hurts I know it does I know it from people who I though where my closest friends but guess what? It hurts, but Im alive, he is fucking dead, because know I see hundreds during weeks in this very fucking forum who did not care, this hurts much more that any f word I received in my entire life.