• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I don't think the mods are the issue here, except in their role to control the community. There are evidently issues with how this situation was handled on this forum, and while it isn't going to happen right now, hopefully eventually there's a plan of action with how to correct it.

When these get discussed, there's almost inevitably going to be someone who uses it to piggyback in unrelated, perhaps less wholesome concerns - but I think what that ultimately demands is moderation of the conversation.
Agreed. Mistakes were obviously made, but I don't believe the staff is being malicious or downplaying the seriousness of the matter. And these situations always bring opportunistic trolls out of the woodwork to piggyback off of those with legitimate concerns.

I hate for it to be the case, but heavy moderation in this thread feels necessary. And though I hope a similar situation never arises again, I'd hope that the staff learn from and improve their response to these slow-motion tragedies.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
People need to not shit on the entire mod team over the actions of one individual and extrapolate it to such a unbelievable degree, the hyperbole is getting ridiculous. This is one of the best places on the internet to talk about what happened because of the efforts moderating the conversation, and we should appreciate how seriously they are taking the situation.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Veeeeery interesting reading all those users in the other thread shitting on his suicide video. The pros of locking a thread means users can't go back and change their fuckshit posts. That's shit's forever.

sephi22

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We now equating a website owner sexual assaulting someone with this?

giphy.gif

lol stay frost era
One of the two situations may have led to someone's death. You can guess which one. Also not a competition

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, they're serious, but there's a mountain between a website owner sexually assaulting someone and posts being moderated or lack thereof. That kind of hyperbole helps no one and accomplishes nothing beyond trying to whip up into a frenzy, which is what this thread has invariably turned into instead of topics it should be about.

Great post.

You're drawing lines where I wasn't. The lack of transparency and lenience regarding moderation is what's similar, not the owner being a sexual predator.

Any discussion about moderation outside this thread is being locked, so of course it will funnel into here. If the moderation team actually cared about discussing systemic treatment and perception of mental health, their actions should reflect that and let this type of conversation (on moderation) breathe outside of this one thread, so this Etika thread can regain focus.

I keep seeing people claim "disrespectful/toxic conversation", but I have yet to see very little, or even any examples of this.

Talk about tone policing.

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
Jun 17, 2019
A lot of attention was paid to things like racist comments by Etika. There's a necessary balancing act here. Not everyone is going to be disconnected from the material. When a bigoted comment is made, it's likely some of the people who are responded are going to be from the targeted group, and they shouldn't be silenced for the sake that everyone else gets to have peace and quiet. But it is important that we appreciate the context, and that words that come as part of a mental breakdown are very different than the actions of someone who has displayed a consistent history of bigotry and rejected appeals to sympathy.

While true, it is also not appropriate to say things such as "I don't care what happens to this guy" in response to what was essentially a troubled person recording a suicide video, even if they have personally offended you in such a way. You can disapprove of someone or not like them without dismissing the entirety of their humanity.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, they're serious, but there's a mountain between a website owner sexually assaulting someone and posts being moderated or lack thereof. That kind of hyperbole helps no one and accomplishes nothing beyond trying to whip up into a frenzy, which is what this thread has invariably turned into instead of topics it should be about.

Well said Nicole. Thank you for the response. I'm still sick to my stomach about that previous thread, but honestly no amount of finger pointing can bring back Etika. This thread should really be about him.

I discovered Etika back in 2014 and his channel (along with a few other Youtubers) helped distract me during a rough time in my life. I still remember his stream when Smash for 3DS leaked, or when Mewtwo was announced as DLC. I never knew the guy, but I enjoyed his content. I feel terrible for his friends and family. I hate he never got the help he needed.

Deleted member 28076

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I see a lot of blame to mental health professionals and other doctors in this thread and I know it's coming from a place of passionate empathy but you need to know it's just not true. In the US, if a patient is legally an adult - and Etika was 29 - and gives you no evidence that they are still suicidal, you have to let them go or you are, by legal definition, kidnapping them. You can prescribe them medication, but you can't force them to take it. If someone is in medical care for suicidal ideation, they are completely lucid, and they tell you they want to go home, you have to let them go home.

And unfortunately, the thing about mental disorders is that they spend a lot of time convincing you that you don't have them.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Having cops have to bust into your apartment followed by "assaulting" an officer weeks (days?) later isn't considered unstable enough?
Nope. I have a younger brother that fought our mother, fought a cop that came to the house, acted insane, and the hospital discharged him because he acted totally fine while on the 5150 hold. They discharged him as soon as possible. Those places don't care about anything outside of what the patient is acting like within the walls. So many people come in and out of there that they need room for the new ones.

Daebo

Oct 26, 2017
Cincinnati
People need to not shit on the entire mod team over the actions of one individual and extrapolate it to such a unbelievable degree, the hyperbole is getting ridiculous. This is one of the best places on the internet to talk about what happened because of the efforts moderating the conversation, and we should appreciate how seriously they are taking the situation.

is this a not all men post?

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I just wish he had more people in his life that could have shown him he could have been happy again.

A tragedy. Never be afraid to seek help.

RIP.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is the issue with locking the other threads. What should be a thread for people to pay their respects is now the mod discussion thread, and it will almost certainly soon be locked

That said, I don't even think we need a thread, something like a monthly update from the Mod team on questions they have received (anonymously) via PM and how they're responding to them would at least address the concerns people have. I don't think a thread on moderation would go well, for the reasons Crossing Eden outlined earlier

RIP Etika

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh...am I the only one who thinks that ERAs mod issues will become the next one in the same line as those other gaming forums that get articles about their moderation issues? There was the GAF stuff, recently there was the Total War subreddit stuff. Like, this man had dudes literally brushing off his suicidal comments and the threads were locked while those dudes continued to roam free. I don't care what side of the fence you're on, you gotta know that's fucked up.

Wouldn't be surprised to hear about this forum on the Giantbombcast, Kotaku or other places that comment on gaming forum drama.

Oct 25, 2017
No. It was a harassment campaign orchestrated by people off of the site.

That happened before the psych hold. If he was lucid again after the hold's time expired he can't be held against his will. The threat has to be clear and present while the patient is in the hospital, not just "he did a bad thing a couple days ago so we can hold him as long as we want".
No, he was taken somewhere before that.

I'm talking about when he was flashing the finger and he got into it with a cop and "shoved" him down(the video wasn't totally clear).

I'm not talking about when they were at his door and then broke it down. He wasn't confrontational there, just mentally all over the place.

Never mind, think you are talking about the right sequence after all.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
It's good to see that in typical fashion (for these situations), yall have made this person's death about yourself. Good job
36tOEOE.gif

Nov 8, 2017
this tragedy? come the fuck on have some respect and don't use the death of a person for forum wars.

Hmm care elaborating what you think I said was wrong?
Etika explicitly said that social network was a problem for him in his final video.
The mods could and should do better in handling this situation, which will also benefit the whole community going forward.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Lives have been shattered today, and you're posting gifs.
A mother had to hear the worst news that a mother can. His fans are grieving him. People want for all members of this community to be held to the same standard that they try to hold people that AREN'T ON THIS BOARD to. And you?

You're here, mocking them with gifs. Can you show a little empathy and understanding that people are upset?

The reality is that no one on ERA had anything to do with Desmond's passing. But that doesn't mean that something similar won't happen in the future, to someone exposed to ERA. What happens when it is the fault of this community's habitual toxic behavior? Compassion and empathy are the only path towards progress.

Compassion and empathy are the only path towards progress.

Don't lash out. Don't mock. Don't dismiss. People don't become "understanding" by a show of force. It's by compassion, and empathy.

One of the two situations may have led to someone's death. You can guess which one. Also not a competition

repeating myself:

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's struggled with suicidal thoughts, not sure how I feel about people here using the topic of mental health as a guise for airing out their dirty laundry with this site and generally using it as a vindictive soapbox. Feels really disingenuous.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not just sad. I'm fucking furious. Furious that he had been showing signs of mental health issues for months, if not longer, and yet was being clowned on constantly by an ignorant fanbase with memes and shitposts, including here on Era.

Society failed Etika. We failed Etika. Fuck this.

Absolutely. The internet is a pile of shit when it comes to this. Calling out that sort of behaviour and the lack of moderation imposed on it in this place is not "seeking drama", it's a god damn courtesy to Etika for everything he went through.

He was such an infectious and by all accounts loved guy, may he rest in peace. Fuck all of this.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lives have been shattered today, and you're posting gifs.
A mother had to hear the worst news that a mother can. His fans are grieving him. People want for all members of this community to be held to the same standard that they try to hold people that AREN'T ON THIS BOARD to. And you?

You're here, mocking them with gifs. Can you show a little empathy and understanding that people are upset?

The reality is that no one on ERA had anything to do with Desmond's passing. But that doesn't mean that something similar won't happen in the future, to someone exposed to ERA. What happens when it is the fault of this community's habitual toxic behavior? Compassion and empathy are the only path towards progress.

Compassion and empathy are the only path towards progress.

Don't lash out. Don't mock. Don't dismiss. People don't become "understanding" by a show of force. It's by compassion, and empathy.

Here here. Losing a lot of respect for names I see a lot around here in this thread.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Nope. I have a younger brother that fought our mother, fought a cop that came to the house, acted insane, and the hospital discharged him because he acted totally fine while on the 5150 hold. They discharged him as soon as possible. Those places don't care about anything outside of what the patient is acting like within the walls. So many people come in and out of there that they need room for the new ones.
That's fucked up, dude would still be alive
System failed him

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Wtf nooo, y!!..

Why didn't anyone get him help? His poor mom is heartbroken. Dammit!

Rip Etika.
Mental health problems are a bitch, and honestly I'm not sure if there is really any treatment or help that could have done anything but delay the inevitable, short of locking someone up or chemically zombifying them. People tried to help, but you can't help someone who doesn't respond to that aid.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Considering that there are multiple
-specific websites
-forums
-twitter accounts

Dedicated to chronically every single thing Era does including specific members the last thing we need is a public "hey let's shit on the mods" thread.
Unfortunately people forget that there is an intense amount of stalking, harassment, etc., that goes on in relation to this site, it's staff, and it's members, with tons of posts, threads, mistakes(or fakes) being consistently regurgitated elsewhere with some additional spin. This happened with GAF, particularly in the last few years before everyone left. Additionally there are a number of bad actors/alts in this board who wait for situations like this to cause further problems.

That's not to say that there shouldn't be a frank discussion about what happened with this situation, about why people like Professor Beef were ever mods to begin with, etc., but I don't foresee any reactionary thread going well, given what has happened in this thread already.

Oct 28, 2017
Rest In Piece Etika.
I feel like a lot of people have failed him and the topic in general from all over the place including here.
I hurts and frustrates me to see mental health issues handled in this way.
This entire situation might not have been preventable but I feel not there has not been enough effort to help a human being who desperately needed it.
As for what is happening right now here on Era has been upsetting to me as well.
I'm taking a break from the site for a while since I just can't really handle what's going on right now and want to give everyone here some time to figure shit out.
Depending on how this thing goes I hope I can come back to what I always held as a beacon of hope for the industry that I love and an industry that really needs it the most.
So once more I'll say rest in piece Etika.
If anyone wants to just talk about how they are feeling pm me or contact the sources posted in the mod post. Please.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User banned (1 Month): Misrepresenting a troll thread as basis for personal attacks, hostility over a series of posts
kind of like how when someone made an Era thread discussing ableist language and how we could address ableism, you personally shut down the thread and revoked their thread making privileges. but i'm sure criticism of that is just whipping people into a frenzy

(source: https://www.resetera.com/threads/"stupid"-is-an-ableist-slur-breaking-down-defenses-around-ableist-language-liberating-our-words.4684/ )

and then you tell people who say they feel uncomfortable discussing mental health on this forum now because of all the ableism "shame on you"? no, shame on you. shame on you so much.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
No, he was taken somewhere before that.

I'm talking about when he was flashing the finger and he got into it with a cop and "shoved" him down(the video wasn't totally clear).

I'm not talking about when they were at his door and then broke it down. He wasn't confrontational there, just mentally all over the place.

Never mind, think you are talking about the right sequence after all.

Right. I'm just saying that if the police didn't get a court order for detention, the hospital can't hold him indefinitely UNLESS he expresses a sincere desire while in their care to harm himself or others. It's the law. We can't just assume that someone with mental health issues is a definite threat and throw them into custody, otherwise we wind up with mental health gulags.

There has to be a better way to handle situations like this, but holding people with mental health against their will like prisoners can't be it, you know?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Damn, this is some shit news to wake up to. I felt like it was coming after they found his belongings along the NYC Bridge, but I was still praying that this wouldn't be the outcome. Etika's hype and positive reactions actually helped me through some tough spots in life, so this is absolutely gut-wrenching. Goodbye Desmond; you'll be missed.

Clearly this thread is going through some drama right now, but i'm not in the mood for that.

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Not the update I was hoping to wake up to, but I'm sadly not surprised. As the days went by it wasn't looking good. May he Rest In Peace and my condolences to his family, friends, and fans.

And I'm extremely disappointed in the ResetEra mods/admins for not taking this whole thing and previous Etika threads more seriously and trying to sweep any talk of it under the rug, instead of actually moderating the discussion like their supposed to. It's so sad and frustrating.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't follow his contents but whenever something big was announced (such as Banjo in Smash) I often looked for his reactions because they were so out there and funny to me. He had so much to share with everyone...I was hoping i'd wake up to news of his return and from there hopefully he could find the help needed...

RIP Etika. :(