• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
I really wish Etika could have gotten the help he needed.
Please don't dismiss or ignore someone's cries for help if you know anyone who is like this.
It could mean the difference between life and death.

RIP Etika.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
This is very probably completely offtopic, so I have no issues with a mod editing it, but I wanted to write this in an earlier thread that got closed 2fast4me:

So a LOT of these complaints regarding moderation issues and "the state of Era" weirdly enough always show up when there's a current "outrage" thread on Gaf going on, with tons of people admitting or bragging their account privileges over here. Which is the case right now, where people over there literally send messages to NYPD about how Era caused Etikas death, and their whole conversation regarding this tragedy focusses straight in on Era, as usual.

So it's very, very hard even for me as a regular user to take many of these complaints - over here - seriously, when I myself am suspecting idiots from GAF, Bore, or whateverthefuck new sites there are, creating them just to seed discord by pretending to be very concerned Era users who only want the best for the site.

Obviously mods can fuck up, they're human, too. Obviously, on a board with thousands of active users and tens of thousands of potential one-time posters, the community itself might fuck up - be it one comment or half a thread. I usually don't have any major issues with how the mods over here handle things, and I have been tempbanned as well.

What I do agree with though, that - if only to be free from these thoughts - we should have an open conversation about how to handle things. Generally. Era, to me, always was a place founded on the community living in it, a work of togetherness instead that of a few people in charge. Since Community Management is my job, I know how fucking hard this can be, and how easy it is to fall into a flow of "silencing" voices (this sounds way worse than I mean it, English is not my native language), but I also know very well how these cases may look to legit, honest users who aren't here to troll or to see the forum burn.

Maybe we can have this conversation, under good moderation. Maybe even not in here, but in a Discord channel with a bunch of selected users who've proven their role on Era. Maybe not. Regardless, I'm pretty sure this thread is not the place to have it, and everyone should direct their criticism somewhere else instead of a thread about a person's death.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I don't doubt it but we were founded on a principle of transparency, I'm not sure the notion of feedback only being accepted privately is compatible with that.
Considering that there are multiple
-specific websites
-forums
-twitter accounts

Dedicated to chronically every single thing Era does including specific members the last thing we need is a public "hey let's shit on the mods" thread.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Its not comparable to sexual assault, but suicide and mental health issues are serious business and I'm disgusted with the behavior I saw in the previous thread.

Sure, they're serious, but there's a mountain between a website owner sexually assaulting someone and posts being moderated or lack thereof. That kind of hyperbole helps no one and accomplishes nothing beyond trying to whip up into a frenzy, which is what this thread has invariably turned into instead of topics it should be about.

There's nothing more true than it's considering that there are LITERALLY tons of people with low post account alts/trolls with dormant accounts at the ready to argue in bad faith, not to mention the constant stalking of the forum of it's members. Case and point, the discussion isn't even respectful ITT and you think an entire thread dedicated to it will be any better when most users going by this thread will just use it as a place to vent about how "bad" moderation is. Some of you people need to use your heads. This thread is not the time or place. And no, don't ask me "when then."

Great post.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I've found if you start throwing it out in the middle of a thread (something I have been guilty of in the past) it gets messy really really quickly, you end up saying things that get nasty and emotional and it ends up hard picking apart who's in the wrong - you post to the mods to dicuss it, they will investigate, explain what's going on and take action, and they do it all without yourself wading in and getting banned from saying something that goes over the lines cus you are emotional. Again, you can say "transparency" all you want, but public forums are really bad at one to one discussion and escalate quickly with others pilling on - and there is some transparancy as ussually if it results in a ban it will then appear on whoever's banned original post.

Exactly. These kinds of discussions always become like chain lightning - even if one user makes a valid point things just expand and expand and expand because everyone (good faith posters AND otherwise) wants to get their word in edgewise and suddenly it's 60 to a hundred people all bringing up their own personal issues with moderation and the actual topic of discussion is lost in the muddle.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
The fucking worst thing about all of this is that his parents will have to bury a second child. I genuinely feel so fucking bad for them. My heart goes out to his family.

Jun 17, 2019
Damn, this is so fucked up. I can really relate to this guy. I'm basically the same age as him, and I'm someone who has been going through a lot of severe depression and suicidal ideation recently, and have a lot of the same hobbies and interests this dude did that serve as coping mechanisms or distractions, especially Smash Bros. It's scary to look at a situation like this and feel like it could be so easy to slip away and end up the same way.

Nov 8, 2017
User Banned (permanent): inflammatory accusations, account in junior phase
We need to stay on track, If the Mod talk keeps up the thread will just be locked again. I'm sure you can PM a mod with your issues and leave them off this thread.

Mods locked the thread. And they are part of the problem that could lead to this tragedy.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
At the risk of my account, this is the definition of bad moderation. Being a good person doesn't automatically make you a good moderator.

Forum moderation is more than just banning/locking things that aren't convenient.

I would tend to agree here...in lots of cases that kind of moderation works. But when there's situations like this that arise, locking threads immediately isn't a great look. Communities flourish with open, clear communication between parties and I would hope the mods see that. 2B and other users have tried to make well thought out posts explaining their position, and I think it merits discussion.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Mods need to allow people to openly discuss this. Reading the mod message in the locked thread, if the problem is bad actors hijacking the conversation, then address those people specifically, that's your job. Don't lock down discussion altogether so you don't have to bother moderating, this is one of the biggest issues people had with the prior place.

nicolasacmf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck every single person on this earth who shat on him and called his episodes a "hoax". Fuck every single person online, here and anywhere else who called him a clown when these were obvious calls for help. Fuck the professionals at the hospitals where he was taken to, for not doing their fucking job properly. Fuck this god forsaken system. How is it POSSIBLE that there were people FROM THE VERY BEGINNING saying that this man needed help and yet he was still let go? How come so many assholes online internet thought they had the right to pile on him when, right from THE BEGINNING there were so many people saying "no, this isn't a joke, he needs help"? And don't get me started with that "he ignored help when offered" shit because that really shows you know NOTHING of mental health issues.

This hits too close to home. Too fucking close. The lack of empathy shown by people is infuriating. I wish I could personally slap every single one of the people who called this a hoax and everyone defending these people. Self-righteous cowards and soulless vultures. Don't defend them. Don't you dare fucking defend them, if you do, you're as much scum as the people piling on him. Right now I'm hoping real hard you all learned your lesson, but I don't know if I believe that's possible. Next time someone is having an obvious mental breakdown, if you don't want to believe them, the least you can do is remove yourself from the conversation and their lives permanently.

ZServ

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Lives have been shattered today, and you're posting gifs.
A mother had to hear the worst news that a mother can. His fans are grieving him. People want for all members of this community to be held to the same standard that they try to hold people that AREN'T ON THIS BOARD to. And you?

You're here, mocking them with gifs. Can you show a little empathy and understanding that people are upset?

The reality is that no one on ERA had anything to do with Desmond's passing. But that doesn't mean that something similar won't happen in the future, to someone exposed to ERA. What happens when it is the fault of this community's habitual toxic behavior? Compassion and empathy are the only path towards progress.

Compassion and empathy are the only path towards progress.

Don't lash out. Don't mock. Don't dismiss. People don't become "understanding" by a show of force. It's by compassion, and empathy.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Can't believe this was his last reaction, only a few weeks ago.

He feels like his usual self here. A life can be taken so fast.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I don't get how someone who was obviously troubled could just get released. He wasn't going to get better on his own. I'm not saying they should have threw him in a jail cell but shouldn't he have been placed in Bellevue for a few months.

No court system could see a history of behavior and been like "for his safety and the safety of others he is being ordered to seek help"

It's a slippery as hell slope to take his freedom out of his hands but it was super obvious he was not of sound mind.

It takes so much to hold somebody against their will in these establishments. The person needs to be seriously unstable for the doctors to sign them in for longer holds.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still in shock this has happened.

This was the one youtube I actually clicked the bell to notify me when he went live. His streams were always filled with the funniest and most unexpected stuff. But sometimes beneath all the craziness we could hear him talk deeply and passionately about things that he loved, and I very much aprecciate the entertainment and joy he bought me throughout the years.

RIP Etika...this is just so strange.

Gaiaknight

Oct 25, 2017
I was really hoping i wouldnt see this news today but here it is, and i'm just sitting at work just staring at my computer screen hoping its not true. Story time so i had the privileged of meeting etika last year when i was in new york. He went out of his way to talk to me as a fan and was very welcoming and just very kind i got to chat with him for about an hour over some food it was a very cool conversation one that i will now cherish forever, now please excuse me while i got find the photos that he took with me and make sure they are safe forever. Mental health issues are no joke and should always be takin with very extreme seriousness RIP Eitka i will miss you.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
A lot of attention was paid to things like racist comments by Etika. There's a necessary balancing act here. Not everyone is going to be disconnected from the material. When a bigoted comment is made, it's likely some of the people who are responded are going to be from the targeted group, and they shouldn't be silenced for the sake that everyone else gets to have peace and quiet. But it is important that we appreciate the context, and that words that come as part of a mental breakdown are very different than the actions of someone who has displayed a consistent history of bigotry and rejected appeals to sympathy.

yes

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
This forum did poorly in the handling of Erika's mental wellness topics, I'm guilty as well, but in my opinion his fanbase did an even worse job.

Have nothing else to say but rest in peace and condolences to his family.

Oct 25, 2017
Hull, England
I only became aware of him a month or two ago when his old YouTube Channel got closed, I never got to see much of his content but he seemed like a cool guy from the few clips I have seen of him. RIP Etika.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really embarrassed by the response by this website. This + that pro-pedophilia expose from a few weeks ago are making me really sad and weary. I've even heard that the mods are being sympathetic towards members like Professor Beef too, telling him what he did was dumb but not taking any action, essentially giving him a light tap on the wrist, which I hope is just a rumour. I really think there needs to be a shake up before things get worse. 🙁
Wait, the what? I'm pretty critical of Era at times but I've never ever seen the site be pro-pedophilia? Did I miss something?

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
it seems like problems within our community have been building up because they weren't addressed and it's very unfortunate that this young man's death and the conversation around him seems to be what is causing it to boil over. That said, these issue should be discussed if we want to keep Era one of the only good places for discourse in the gaming community.

Etika's Passing was a failing of not just our society but also the safety nets that are supposed to be in place to help people like him.

PER_Soul

Apr 2, 2019
Lima, Peru
You all fucking all those thread full of people making fun of people with mental illness was fucking RESPECTFUL??? The amount of vitriol me and many others in this forum had to live through again was the best fucking job the mods could do, ResetEra the fucking "safe heaven of the internet" well guess fucking what that dismissal attitude is the same that all those asholes on twitter that drive Etika into fucking suicide. And now what? we have live we with a bunch of those of that got off without warning or consequence, because guess what? Suicide drives into this self destructing cycle to confirm your own beliefs that your are not loved, and all people who dismissive him as a joke contributed to that cycle.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
#Notallmembers, right?

Oh wait, I've seen that before, and it doesn't work.
I'm just sayin. How you gona judge a whole community based on a few people? Its dumb. A lot of people annoy the shit out of me in a lot of topics here. Its still a caring community even if it has some flaws. I mean, people in this community raised money to help pay for another members cancer treatment they couldn't afford and saved their life. Do we throw those people in the same pile as some who post dumb ignorant ass shit? Anyway, getting off-topic. I think those posts were shit about Etika but at the same time people in this community have helped me through some rough shit so I instinctively go on the defense at times like this but its whatever. I'll shut up about it.

RIP Etika

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Didn't read through the whole twenty pages but one of the reasons so many posters were trashing the guy is because he said fa##ot that one time and so he got cancelled, and I think in the minds of posters, once you're cancelled, it's open season regardless of the circumstances.

Just my two cents.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
This thread should be a celebration of this young man's life, but of course, it's turned into a "I WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG" echo chamber of people who should be spending more time focused on the way this kid brightened people's days and should be less focused on derailing the thread.

Go start another thread in Etc if there are serious concerns about moderation and mental health on this forum, but don't turn his death into an opportunity to act holier-than-thou for no reason other than your own narcissism.

I fully agree. I understand it's frustrating that we don't have any place for that meta commentary or feedback on this forum, but I'm seeing grandstanding and imo it's inappropriate.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Mods need to allow people to openly discuss this. Reading the mod message in the locked thread, if the problem is bad actors hijacking the conversation, then address those people specifically, that's your job. Don't lock down discussion altogether so you don't have to bother moderating, this is one of the biggest issues people had with the prior place.

sephi22

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
RIP to my man Etika
Your reactions were great. I found Cupcakkes Duck Duck Goose through your reaction and that songs a banger

I understand that some are in disagreement with how things are handled, but, I don't think this is the right time for this debate.
A man died, some will share their memories, some will need to talk and some will rethink the way they saw the Man.

This should not be a time for conflicts or arguments
I somewhat agree, yet this seems like a "this is not the time to talk gun control" thing Republicans say after every mass shooting.

This is as good a time as any. Meta discussion threads get locked so it's not like people would get another chance.

I dont have a horse in this race. I not for or against the way moderation is done on this site. I just avoid posting in controversial threads.

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that even after a mental break, without a court order, a patient cannot be held in a hospital against their will after 72 hours. Once they are lucid, if they express a desire to leave the hospital, by law they have to be released. The only way that can be overridden is if they display a clear and present danger to themselves or others, and that means direct evidence, not just 'we think he might do something dumb'.
The physical altercation with the cop isn't a display of that???

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RIP man. I wish he could have gotten the help he needed, as someone who struggles with mental health as well this is extremely sad to see.

I am also putting blame on the internet for this. Outrage culture is insane, everyone needs to be offended over everything or else you're branded.. whatever.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Even making that phone call can be difficult. No, nobody on this forum should be diagnosing mental disorders, but sometimes speaking with likeminded people in what some consider a comfort zone is a good way to start.

That avenue is still there. When people post threads asking for help, people tend to circle around them with advice, comforting words, and so on. There's a dedicated mental health thread, as well. Our failure with Etika wasn't that we are in general dismissive of people with mental health issues, but that our approach to mental health issues overlapped with the imperative to hold popular streamers accountable, with a general suspicion of streamer culture, and with an even more general suspicion (arising from years of experience with this) of how mental health issues tend to be invoked when someone is saying/doing shitty things.

It's obvious we need to update our overall framework in order to reconcile all those things. And yes, that includes being more empathetic, smarter, and more knowledgeable when it comes to the subject of mental health.

The one thing I would say about moderation is this: it would be useful to acknowledge that the broader community and moderation collectively fell short here, and some recalibration of policy/implementation of policy/articulation of policy regarding conflicted discussions involving things like possible suicidal ideation is warranted.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We now equating a website owner sexual assaulting someone with this?

giphy.gif

lol stay frost era
You're posting meme gifs and laughing things off like it's a competition. That is an incredibly shitty post.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, the what? I'm pretty critical of Era at times but I've never ever seen the site be pro-pedophilia? Did I miss something?

No. It was a harassment campaign orchestrated by people off of the site.

The physical altercation with the cop isn't a display of that???

That happened before the psych hold. If he was lucid again after the hold's time expired he can't be held against his will. The threat has to be clear and present while the patient is in the hospital, not just "he did a bad thing a couple days ago so we can hold him as long as we want".

Otherwise you need a court order to hold someone against their will like that, and those orders are extremely difficult to get.

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't really know him or watch his content, I was only made aware of through the threads here that called out his objectively bigoted comments. Regardless of that matter, no one should have to face their end alone like this. It's incredibly tragic it ended this way. Mental health should be taken seriously and every plea for help should be taken seriously. It hurts my heart to see how people abetted his suicidal tendencies. They are scum.

SENPAIatLARGE

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We need to stay on track, If the Mod talk keeps up the thread will just be locked again. I'm sure you can PM a mod with your issues and leave them off this thread.
This culture of fear permeated GAF in its final months. If mods don't want people to comment on what they feel is true missteps, they should open up a secondary thread. You can lock and ban only so many people and threads before everything gets out of control. The loss of Etika is so tragic, and the responses from mods and posters when he went missing makes me furious. Something has to be done before the discourse truly explodes

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Which it's very rarely done respectfully and any of the threads I've seen posted has not been done respectfully and just wanna shit on people, I think there's nothing wrong with wanting a discussion and possibly a thread but it would have to be handled right.

Agreed. Obviously there are some things Era needs to work on in terms of moderation particularly with mental health. But several of the people who are calling for "open discussion" really mean "we want to clapback on this person, and these people, and this person here, etc."

RIP to Etika. It sucks that he couldn't get the help he needed, and that the views he presented while going through what he did only served to push people away instead of making them reach out.

Given the nature of said views and a lot of folks on Era's stances against bigotry, I get why they didn't see it that way and reacted the way they did, but sadly it was a genuine case where you had to look past it to see the call for help.