• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Remembering him being so happy in his streams is killing me right now. It's so frustrating. I wish someone had reached out to him before it came to this and you figure being so popular he would have had someone but he probably made it difficult to also.

It's so messed up. Really wish it didn't come to this. Feels so awful.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
I started following Etika on YouTube in 2014 looking for different Nintendo related channels. He was always such a joy to watch for me. When he had his breakdown last year I was really concerned. I wish I could have helped. Hearing the language he was using I just wish I could have been there. That feeling of absolute despair is something you need to be helped out of. You can't do it on your own.

What a fucking trip it has been watching some of the reactions to him in previous threads on here.

Listen to those who need help with their mental health. Be supportive. Understand that different people inherently struggle with different things and may express pain differently than you do.

I was up way past when I should have been listening to the news livestream. First thing I checked when I woke up before coming to work.

I don't know how to express how much his content has meant to me over the years. Very few people I know IRL care about gaming. This is really one of my only outlets to talk about it.

Etika and his content and a lot of the creators that were big around 2014-2018; I'll never forget any of them.

Rest in peace Etika and I'll miss you, man. Even if it doesn't make sense or seems stupid since I never met you, I'll miss you. Your infectious positivity and humor is something I hope to be able to spread to others.

Even if you're not suicidal: if you're in any sort of crisis, Crisis Support Services of Nevada is a good resource that is free for anyone to use: https://cssnv.org/

It's helpful to seek help before it gets to the point where you can't even bring yourself to cry and everything just internally builds upon itself.

Even if it is to total strangers -- post on here and ask for help if you have to.

Etika -- I always love your content. I'll say it again, I'm going to miss you.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Why would anyone feel comfortable discussing their mental health issues here anymore?
No one should discuss these issues in an online forum alone. This is why professionals exist and spend years honing and learning their craft.
I find it's ok to discuss these matters on a forum like Era in addition to other means. I agree that if an internet forum is your only outlet, it won't ever be as personal as it needs to be. Literally a thousand voices all saying different things isn't conducive to getting proper help. Although from personal experience it may ease certain things. But this is where I'm the most saddened by all these events and this horrible outcome. I don't know anything regarding Desmond's personal life, but I have seen the large portion of his internet life. I've seen so many people who made fun of his antics, many people seem like they were legitimately worried about him, many angry at him, many laughing with him, the entire gamut of thoughts and feelings were being thrown at his internet persona. I truly hope he had real friends and family that were trying to help him in his times of great need. Because that's what people really need to get through it. I kept seeing people post about Etika throughout the year and every single time I felt that it sucked his life was so intertwined with being an internet celebrity. I watched his final video and got the notion he didn't have any real friends left because he pushed them away, but I hope that wasn't entirely the case. To anyone out there that knew him personally and might read this, my condolences. This is a terrible thing read today. Stay strong and if there's somebody in your life that ANYONE thinks may be suicidal, talk to them and be there for them. Even if they push you away there are ways to keep your distance but still remain in their lives to keep them thinking twice about leaving for good. This may be super personal, but I have a younger brother I've been very worried about for the past few years. He's shutdown and barely responds to anything I ask or have to say. But I keep being in his life in case he does. Life's short.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I never heard of this kid until the news came out that he was missing. I have no idea about his background other than the video I just saw that was his final goodbye. Very sad that his life ended this way.

His reaction videos to Nintendo Directs were always great. Only this week I watched his reaction video to the Nintendo E3 2019 Direct. His reaction was superb to the BOTW 2 announcement.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone just tried again and made a very detailed thread. And it still was locked: https://www.resetera.com/threads/we-need-to-openly-talk-about-moderation.125550/

So tell us then what are we allowed to discuss?
Discuss what you want but there are very clear rules in place regarding it. If the thread stays open great but alot of this is shitting on the mods and the moderation for really bad reasons. Could things have been handled better? yes were they handled as bad as some as saying? not at all.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
The internet gaslit the fuck out of him and this case should be held as a prime example of how platforms that give you constant access to people, like Twitch and Twitter, are used to bully and psychologically manipulate a single person on a level not possible before social media. His "fans" took advantage of him and had him play to the worst parts of himself and this is the result. Etika, Chris-chan, Spoony - all infamous/popular internet personalities who were put through the wringer by people pretending to be fans when they just use their access to a celebrity to be abusive. When this stuff gains mob mentality, it becomes extremely dangerous.

Deleted member 28076

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I understand where you're coming from. There have been a lot of hostile and harmful reactions to Etika's health issues on this forum. But we shouldn't discourage efforts to correct that within the community.
If discussing my reasons why I don't feel comfortable openly discussing my mental
health here makes others also feel uncomfortable doing the same, then that's not an indictment of me, it's an indictment of this forum.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): Highly inflammatory attacks
ResetEra staff, do better. This tragedy could have been avoided, and by shutting down discussion on what this community did wrong you are implicitly saying that you are willing to let it happen again.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. The staff here are horrible. There have been four or five locked threads relating to Etika with each saying "we are reviewing reports" or something and no action has been taken. Absolutely awful.

I hope you realize that the mods are people and it takes time to actually look into things.

JetSetSoul

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sad for the loss, never trust the group on the internet, they can be very damaging to the person, who always matters more than whatever trivial thing is being discussed.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Someone just tried again and made a very detailed thread. And it still was locked: https://www.resetera.com/threads/we-need-to-openly-talk-about-moderation.125550/

Really don't understand why these threads are being locked. These kind of issues absolutely need to be discussed somewhere instead of folk pretending that it don't exist.

This entire shit has me so fucking sad man. RIP to Etika man.

Oct 25, 2017
RIP

The thing is that social media has been shown to exacerbate depression in people. I think we are entering a new age in psychology in which a form of prescription for it would be a total ban on any forms of social media for those afflicted with chronic and acute episodes of depressive episodes.

It was too late for Etika though, sadly.
In a world where it takes 30 seconds to make a Gmail, and by default a youtube and a minute to make just about anything else, how do you ban someone from social media?

Especially in a world where people don't want to do phone call verification?

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. The staff here are horrible. There have been four or five locked threads relating to Etika with each saying "we are reviewing reports" or something and no action has been taken. Absolutely awful.
The Staff here isn't horrible and rushing to shit on them is not fair to them. Can things be better? absolutely but shitting on them is not helping anything

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wtf nooo, y!!..

Why didn't anyone get him help? His poor mom is heartbroken. Dammit!

Rip Etika.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
there is no excuse for banning discussion on this sites moderation and policies (so long as its done respectfully)

Nov 8, 2017
We need an open discussion about the moderating regarding situation like this.
The previous Etika threads were full of hatred and few actions were taken. We even had a mod participating in the discussion and really nothing happened to him.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit.

I used to watch some of his videos. His playthroughs of Fire Emblem Awakening and Xenoblade 2 were particularly fun to watch. I knew he was having some issues lately, but I never expected this.

Rest In Peace.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I don't believe Era is anywhere close to what GAF was at this current point, the whole handling of this scenario is how you get a ResetEra 2/NeoGAF 3.

Agreed. We're a long way off to how bad GAF was but man, I can't help but see little signs here and there, mainly in terms of the moderation.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
the staff as a whole can talk about how deeply they care about mental health issues, but at the end of the day actions speak louder than words. Several users on this very site were mocking Etika in a thread regarding his last video, and the users in question didn't get a warning, let alone a ban.

As someone who suffers from mental health issues, please don't pretend you care about people struggling with mental health issues when you don't even give warnings to people who were very much mocking someone who clearly had mental health issues.

Deleted member 9746

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 week): trolling in a sensitive thread
Does anyone think global warming is a good thing? I love Lady Gaga. I think she's a really interesting artist.

Kainé

Oct 26, 2017
We need to get better with mental health. It's as important as physical health and even more.

RIP, Etika.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
RIP Etika. Never saw his stuff but the reactions to his downward spiral were straight up disheartening, stuff like that is why people are afraid to open up and ask for help

Had a much longer post before the lock that I decided to delete. Just hope people can learn from this

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So let me see if I have this right. Instead of banning the users who were turning Etika's call for help as a choice moment to denounce him as a person, denounce his struggles, say they don't care about someone having a mental breakdown and accusing them of literal faking a SUICIDE NOTE, you just closed the threads instead? And now, knowing that someone lost the battle to mental illness and those same posters are still fucking allowed to be here, a former moderator no less, and someone in this thread got banned for criticizing the mod team instead? Do you not see the problems with that? Are we going to catch bans if we make another thread talking about the shitty way the kid team has been handling this whole situation, or will they actually allow us to air our grievances with them like should be done?

This is seriously fucking shameful.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think social media sites in general need to take a more proactive approach with streamers, influencers, etc., like Etika. Allowing him to essentially blog his mental spiral, continue to interact with the wider internet via social media, etc., only allowed him to feed into his own issues. The moment he posted his first suicide threat he should have been reported, and banned/deplatformed from every social media site for an extended period of time. Instead he was allowed to continue on, attract the worst kind of attention by making homophobic and anti-Semitic remarks, and ultimately just invite rampant speculation as to his mental health. None of that helped his situation, particularly considering that there is a portion of the internet that actively look to try and get suicidal people to commit suicide.

And yeah people are rightfully angry at some of the terrible responses in the various Era threads, but unfortunately for many they only became aware of his situation due to him making the remarks I mentioned above. In the end I think it's likely that since he was not a poster on this board, and was not reaching out for help, it would have been best early on to lock any discussion about his situation for the period of time that all of this was going down.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
While I don't believe Era is anywhere close to what GAF was at this current point, the whole handling of this scenario is how you get a ResetEra 2/NeoGAF 3.

We now equating a website owner sexual assaulting someone with this?

giphy.gif

lol stay frost era

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
May he rest in peace. I watched a lot his videos and feel devastated.

The way the mods are handling situations is NOT HELPING.

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User banned (duration pending): Conspiracy theories, repeated history of trolling, previous severe infraction

You wont be able to because 'image' is everything with this forum and maintaining that is more important than having an open discussion on anything that disrupts it. I've avoided politically charged threads for a long time now because it's obvious this place doesn't want to engage in civil discourse, it wants to promote a certain view. This time however, an individual was 'selected' for authorised vitriol and it's come back to bite them in the ass.

Deleted member 12129

Oct 27, 2017

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
The Staff here isn't horrible and rushing to shit on them is not fair to them. Can things be better? absolutely but shitting on them is not helping anything

Yeah, a lot of the staff are good people here, i just don't think they know how to cope with this incident. The one who was demodded has always been a troll and it was about time he had that taken away from him.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there is no excuse for banning discussion on this sites moderation and policies (so long as its done respectfully)
Which it's very rarely done respectfully and any of the threads I've seen posted has not been done respectfully and just wanna shit on people, I think there's nothing wrong with wanting a discussion and possibly a thread but it would have to be handled right.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. We're a long way off to how bad GAF was but man, I can't help but see little signs here and there, mainly in terms of the moderation.

Shit have you seen how GAF is responding to this same news now?

Started off as a thread for genuine remorse and respect, immediately started to devolve into a way to throw shade and attack ERA (and this was egged on by Evilore himself at that)

Era still has a ways to go if it wants to live up to its goals, and this is definitely one of those critical junctions. And it needs to address this now in light of why they split in the first place/state of GAF now

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018