• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
If someone comments about taking their own life in a jokey fashion, maybe it is just a joke. But when it's a recurring thing in someone's behaviour it becomes a real cry for help.

People generally don't being up suicide unless they are also ideating. It's a thing to take seriously and not just dismiss as a stunt for attention. Joking and talking about suicide in a casual way can just be a way for someone to normalise and make it easier for themselves to cross that mental barrier, where there's no turning back from.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Ignoring staff post, inflammatory derailment
RIP hype fella, may he find the peace he never could in this world.

It's astounding that a community founded by a lack of transparency regarding the administration is........ shying away from transparency regarding it's administration.

You would've thought if any lesson was learned, it was that one.

The mods here are far worse than the GAF mods ever were. Besides Cerium, the lot of them are ban-happy power-trippers who continue to expose themselves one after the other.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Curiouser and curiouser. My thoughts go out to his family and friends . Mental illness is real and always eating at a person.

There are alot of people on this board that should be damned ashamed of themselves though certain threads will no doubt not be found anymore and the looming "transparent" banhammer will keep people quiet.
If nothing else I hope someone learns from this.
Absolutely. I know it really isn't the time to talk about stuff like that so this will be the last I mention it but looking through the previous threads about Etika and seeing the responses really pisses me off. Even worse is that from what I can see none of them have had any kind of warning for what they said. It doesn't feel consistent at all with the rest of the site and I'm not sure why certain users are able to just get away with what they posted.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Era needs to fundamentally reform the way it approaches conversations around mental illness. There is no rule against ableism on Era and why its tolerated is beyond me. This board is not a safe space for people suffering from mental illness and long before the Etika incident the way people on this board openly mocked people with mental health issues with zero consequences ripped me apart and deeply hurt as someone with a life-long history of mental health struggles.

I hope we can take this as an opportunity to listen and learn because what's happening now on this board is systemic ableism and there needs to be a fundamental review of policy

Ableism has always and will always be against the rules -- we action these types of infractions frequently. It is enshrined in our guide alongside racism, sexism, sexual orientation etc:

We do not allow behavior or rhetoric that attacks or discriminates against users based on race, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion or disability.

A lot of our staff have first hand experience with the burden of mental health woes themselves. Multiple staff members have disabilities. These are personal issues for a lot of us.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You should always seek professional help. ERA is not a place you should seek help for any mental health issues you have. I never understood why people act like ERA is that place for medial, mental health or anything that is extremely important? This is a forum with strangers and any advice should be with a grain of salt.

ERA should never be that much of an importance in you life. People, seek professional help in finance, mental health, medial, real state, etc.

I've seen ERA do wonderful things for people like Talal in the past. It's just, don't solely rely on a message board for help

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Worst outcome. Condolences to his friends and family.

Also a reminder to all the people here, remember to talk, especially if you feel suicidal.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I take heavy doses of three different medications to ensure I can even get out of bed in the morning. I know what mental illness feels like. I hope everyone in that thread is finding a supportive experience, but I am not slighting them when I say that airing out your grievances on ResetEra is now a much less appealing option in the face of numerous people condemning a man making a call for help and the worst punishment they're going to get it "well I'm sure they feel bad enough about it."

I understand where you're coming from. There have been a lot of hostile and harmful reactions to Etika's health issues on this forum. But we shouldn't discourage efforts to correct that within the community.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
I never heard of this kid until the news came out that he was missing. I have no idea about his background other than the video I just saw that was his final goodbye. Very sad that his life ended this way.

Deleted member 28076

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is a terrible response that would drive people away from seeking the help that they often desperately need. Shame on you.
I'm pretty sure, as someone who often needs help with depression and suicidal tendencies, the thing driving people away from seeking help here is actually an administration that refuses to enforce any form of consequences for mocking those calling for help.

free_bubble

Oct 27, 2017
RIP, Etika.

I remember stumbling upon one of his reaction videos and just being struck by the guy's energy and effortless charisma. I'm gutted by this news and the manner in which his situation was treated here and elsewhere. His life shouldn't have ended this way, surrounded by so many people who cared for him but feeling like he had nothing to live for. We all need to be kinder to each other. Our words online matter.

For the first time, I feel ambivalent about being an Era member. I hope that "meta-commentary" will not be used by the staff to shut down conversation about what happened in this case. It was shamefully permitted to go on and one of the mods even engaged in it. Never again.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It always mindboggles me how people with so much going for them choose to take their own life.

I know, I know, depression doesn't discriminate but it's so sad and confusing all the same.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Can we talk about the treatment of mental health here on ResetEra? Or is that drama/entertainment? If there's something to take away from all of this, it's that no one struggling with suicide should ever post here. This thread began with support and sympathy, but was preceded by vitriol and skepticism towards someone who had clear mental health struggles, vitriol and skepticism that for all intents and purposes was left un-moderated. If now is not the time or place to have an open discussion about the treatment of mental health perception on Resetera, when or where is? Are obituary threads meant exclusively for walls of condolences, or should we actually start some self reflection? Are we just to ignore what the climate around this subject was less than a week ago?
As someone very currently diagnosed with spiraling depression, I'm all for it, but I'm also all for it to keep that discussion out of this thread. There's plenty room in the rest of the board, without steering this thread about the death of a person into metadiscussion and (probably) a good amount of name&shame if things go wrong.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
for the response to just be "if you're criticizing us, you're just trying to start drama" with ZERO acknowledgement of the systemic ableism that is now festering on this board and ZERO acknowledgement that mistakes were made and then saying basically "we've always supported people with mental health issues" when there's mountains of evidence that's not true is really a shockingly disgraceful response. there is zero chance i will ever feel comfortable talking about my mental health issues on era. it's not a safe space for people with mental health issues, it's a safe space for their harassers, attackers, and ableists instead.

Era needs to launch a review into its policies on ableism. now.
👍

Oct 25, 2017
I think the system failed him too.

When they had to knock down his door, I thought he would get extensive time in a place that could help him.

He didn't.

Then he got in an altercation with a police officer.

Surely then, he would be in a place for an indefinite amount of time that could help him.

He wasn't.

Deleted member 42105

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
It was only a bit for a few weeks but I'll never forget how entertained I was by the antics of Young Ramsay.

BROOOOOKLYN
:(

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
This is a common issue.

I will always find it strange to see comments saying that someone is just faking it. That its just their "thing" like its a shtick. I will never understand the comments that brush it off. I'm sure the same people who made jokes about it are the same people who also needed mental health help at one point.

We live in a time where it feels like we are more reactionary and angry than empathetic and its honestly killing some of us.
Yeah it really sucks because, just another person who had been like this as well. Would be Mac Miller and his music and his general tone was he needed help but yet nobody bothered to do so. In my opinion, If someone makes jokes about suicide and or their being overtly dark/edgey with their captions or their general tone with their messages, most times it looks like attention seeking, but it's really just them asking for help for someone to talk to about everything going on with them. People always need a place to vent to and I know this from experience of being completely silent about all my issues till it hit a point where I tried to take my own life. I'm in a much better place now, and I can't stress enough that keeping problems to your self only works for a small while till it implodes and causes a lot more damage to yourself. For most people it's difficult to gauge, but in Etika's case I mean this was basically being screamed at the top of his lungs and tattooed on his forehead that he needed help, and almost everyone just stood and watched.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Oh my God....

That's awful. Oh man! This is horrible!

I heard about then finding an unidentified body late last night and figured that was it.

Mental illness is no fucking joke, I honestly hope people can learn from this.

This news really has me feeling a bit down today. Depression can really be contagious sometimes.

I've had suicidal thoughts as recent as a few months ago and while I tell myself it's something I would never actually go through with, never say never. Currently not on any medication although some friends have suggested I do so. I keep telling them at the end of the day I'm okay, and I can handle this. It is true you can't force somebody to get help if they don't want it, I can speak from my own stubborn experiences. On the other hand, last year I felt great and it was one of the best years of my life. I know all too well how up and down mood swings can feel.

So sad to hear this news and it's awful that he didn't get the help he clearly needed.

I really don't wanna point fingers so I'll be avoiding that for now, and I'm not talking about internet drama but rather the people who were in positions to help him and must have seen warning signs. The system clearly isn't working when awful stuff like this happens.

It sounds like he was a good guy overall and he helped people out through some tough times. "Cancel culture" is far too extreme these days and I hope people learn that a few rough moments don't negate all the good he's done for people.

There are serious lessons to be learned from this.

Hopefully his passing helps people to be better and have more empathy.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Why would anyone feel comfortable discussing their mental health issues here anymore?

Exactly. I felt less secure in my own mental health after reading some of those past threads -- the repeated assertions that the symptoms of mental illness are just the real person being unmasked were incredibly nasty -- and I don't think those concerns are a matter of unfair vitriol. This forum has become a less safe place for a percentage of the community and wanting to say that doesn't make us vindictive.

The fact that such ignorance has been allowed to foster and grow unchecked -- let's just close the thread instead of having a productive discussion about it, that's reserved for this other thread over here that the offending uninformed users will never partake in -- is a symptom of the overall cultural problem with even talking about issues of mental health at all, let alone speaking about them in a respectful or healthy way. The idea that we can't talk about it even here, that we should just keep moving it to other threads where the people who need to see this shit won't ever have to confront their own ignorance and the harm it actively does to others, is not actually helpful in any way.

Do they feel bad? Okay. They should. One man very obviously clearly openly showing how hurt he was doesn't need to be the thing that lets someone know that cries for help should matter. All the people reading those threads who might be in a similar place can see your words. Think about that next time. Be better.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
I must admit that I didn't take his disappearance seriously at first.
I'm terribly sorry.

I heard that his brother also died a few years ago. This must be terrible for the family.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If someone comments about taking their own life in a jokey fashion, maybe it is just a joke. But when it's a recurring thing in someone's behaviour it becomes a real cry for help.

People generally don't being up suicide unless they are also ideating. It's a thing to take seriously and not just dismiss as a stunt for attention. Joking and talking about suicide in a casual way can just be a way for someone to normalise and make it easier for themselves to cross that mental barrier, where there's no turning back from.

I realized this a while back myself. I was checked into the emergency room because I was misdiagnosed with bacterial spinal meningitis, and I cracked a really, really dark suicide joke in front of the triage nurse in an attempt to keep myself from completely breaking, and for the rest of the time I was in the ER I had a literal guard stationed in my room who would not leave, even after the diagnosis was rescinded, because they flagged me as a risk to my own safety.

Doctors can't afford to play the 'it was just a joke' card when someone is in crisis, and the doctor who talked to me after the diagnosis was removed basically chewed me out while at the same time playing super kid gloves because she couldn't be sure how much of it was just me trying to cheer myself up and how much of it was sincere ideation, especially thanks to my history of depression and anxiety.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RIP Etika. As dumb as it sounds, I'll think of him everytime I read attack on titan now. In his suicide message he expressed regret that he would never get to see the ending. It fucking sucks. I cannot imagine what his family is going through. They have lost 2 children.

Official Staff Communication
This tragedy is not an opportunity for drama, it is not entertainment, nor is it an occasion to organize harassment against people who most likely already feel terrible about what has happened here. Our guide/FAQ states:

"Members that appear to be using an obituary thread as an opportunity to post vitriol will be moderated."

It is not a dramatization or entertainment that this rule was applied to everyone except for one notable exception.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I never watched Etika, but my condolences to his friends and family. Its incredibly saddening, and Im sure internet culture didnt help matters any. Rather than being too down though, Etika brought a lot of joy to people's lives, and that is something to be remembered for. He may be gone in body, but will live on through people's heart. They say you die twice. Once in body, and once in name, but Etika won't be forgotten as he has touched millions of people. He will be remembered.

RIP

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
This is absolutely heartbreaking. I can't even begin to describe what I'm feeling. I barely saw any of his content, but this is something terrible to happen to anyone.
Actions speak louder than words....

I'm pissed as hell at how Etika was treated here, but apparently cannot express that fact without retaliation now.
Absolutely. I'm completely disgusted by how the mods have been handling this situation. I know I'm most likely gonna get temporarily banned for this, but they've fucked it up big time. Era is a place of help and support most of the time, but letting people who mock mental illnesses get away scot-free just because "he's a bigot and this is definetely one of his stunts"? Fuck that. A lot of stuff needs to change if we don't want this to become another disaster like GAF.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
The reason they were locked was because it was the same poster just shitting on people and the community and that was when this thread was locked for moderation. You may be pissed but that doesn't mean the whole community is shit.
Someone just tried again and made a very detailed thread. And it still was locked: https://www.resetera.com/threads/we-need-to-openly-talk-about-moderation.125550/

So tell us then what are we allowed to discuss?

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
RIP hype fella, may he find the peace he never could in this world.

The mods here are far worse than the GAF mods ever were. Besides Cerium, the lot of them are ban-happy power-trippers who continue to expose themselves one after the other.

Prior GAF mod transgressions ranged from literally doxxing people, scamming forum members out of money to fuel drug habits, or literal pedophillia.

The mods here have issues but let's not get crazy here

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ableism has always and will always be against the rules -- we action these types of infractions frequently. It is enshrined in our guide alongside racism, sexism, sexual orientation etc:

A lot of our staff have first hand experience with the burden of mental health woes themselves. Multiple staff members have disabilities. These are personal issues for a lot of us.
that's buried in a post from 2017. the rules Era links to under "terms and rules" say "abusing or harassing other users, including but not limited to the posting of racist, sexist, homophobic, or transphobic content" only and does not reference disability. if it is indeed against the rules, it's time to start enforcing them. how about banning people for the "r*tard" slur instead of just warning them. how about saying calling someone who has been public about their mental health struggles a "psycho clown" is not acceptable. how about actually enforcing that rule that apparently exists (not within the terms and rules section of the site, though)

As the community manager during my tenure at ResetEra, I worked behind the scenes helping a lot with suicidal members. I can say proudly there are members still alive today because of the good work that the team has done to help combat mental health issues in the community
okay, and I can tell you as an Era user that has suffered from mental illness the horrible bullying and ableism on this board has brought me to tears and triggered some pretty nasty stuff. don't try to pretend there isn't a problem
It is something we always took very seriously, and there was a rigorous policy in place to help users when they show signs of suicide. I'm not going to comment on moderation policies because that isn't my place, but the staff takes mental health issues and awareness seriously, regardless of if you think they do or not. There's an incredible community here for mental health support that I know @Ketkat and @The Woods have worked hard to build and support.
there is nothing to be proud of with the way this board has treated people with mental health issues. why is "r*tard" not banned, only warned? why are there no rules against ableism in era's official Terms and Rules, only buried in a post from 2017? why can you call someone with mental health issues "psycho clown" with zero consequences, and then when you point out that bigotry you get banned for derailing a thread? there's no point trying to whitewash the problem. Era needs to learn because I am not joking when I say i have felt very severe pain at the attacks on disabled people i've seen on this site allowed to flourish. the site can't keep saying "we're perfect, we don't tolerate anything" when there's now a mountain of evidence that this ableism has been tolerated and swept under the rug

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's astounding that a community founded by a lack of transparency regarding the administration is........ shying away from transparency regarding it's administration.

You would've thought if any lesson was learned, it was that one.

Honestly, yeah I agree. Sucks to say but I see a lot of resemblance to what GAF was as we got closer to the end.