• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This forums reaction was no doubt set by some of his particular comments.

What eventually happened to your brother?
I'm aware of the comments. But one would think that those comments would be understood, not excused, as coming from a mentally unwell person.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
So sad and preventable

RIP Desmond, I hope someone out there is watching and changes their view on helping mentally ill people or asking for help themselves.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
i will not let you forget this
MOD EDIT: Callout images and links removed.

dude is trash. hey mods? you ban people for calling out these shits, i'll do everything in my power to make sure media outlets recognize what a trash fucking job you do here. maybe you need to add some rules about mocking the mentally ill?

Last edited by a moderator:

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Tragic T_T RIP Desmond

Hopefully some of the people here educate themselves about mental health

KLoWn

Oct 27, 2017
Hey:

Fuck every single one of you. And everyone I missed because I have to go.
Oh wow. Such "progressive" and good people! I these assholes doesn't get a ban of some kind this place is officially fucked up.

*Edit*
And to echo others in here. People have been banned for FAR LESS.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What positive function could any of those previous threads serve by remaining open?

I probably came off callous in some of them, but my frustration with them stemmed primarily from the feeling that they did nothing more than feed the internet social media circus, which doesn't exactly help anyone.

Having a place to talk about mental health issues in general to edcuate others?

There is always going to be a media circus around news stories like this, but if any place should be somewhere to discuss a YouTube gamer who was suicidal and educate others on the matter, it should be a place like Era. Closing topics just shuts down discussion and looks bad.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Wow a mod said that? That's absolutely cruel. So letdown by this site turning the other way on Etika. There is a mob mentality that some have on here that is sickening.

I don't want to dogpile on people because that isn't the way to go about combating mental health but damn, people need to calm down with what they say. Even poster on poster interactions on here are cruel and cold hearted. It needs to stop.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
This not only makes my heart sink, but it also makes me angry knowing how people treated him. I couldn't even escape seeing that attitude on this very forum.

Of course he wanted attention. He needed attention. I've lost enough people in my life that went through years of this. Their cries for help turned into weapons against them.

I hope that those users on this very forum who dismissed and joked about his mental health issues feel good about themselves.

And I hope those users who claimed that we should ban discussion if this turned out to be a false flag feel good about themselves. Congratulations, he isn't banned on this forum, he did go through with it. Fucking hell.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Its fucking awful. People thought it was all a hoax just because of shit like this so I'm not going to blame them, but God we need better access to mental healthcare in this country.

That tweet is a sign of mental illness. Openly talking in a public forum about how you're going to have a mental breakdown for the lulz is a sign of mental illness.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
Yes mental health services in the US and a lot of other places are seriously lacking, yes it is a very real and very sad problem, however there is one ugly truth.

There is no cure.

For almost every mental health issue. There is only treatment, some treatments make the person not feel like themselves or super foggy, plus unless they are an active danger to themselves or others you can't hold a person against their will; that's how you end up with Asylums from decades/centuries past. As of now the current psych hold is 96hrs excluding weekends or holidays.

Once you are done with that and can have a lucid moment where you let your physician know that you are feeling okay and don't want to hurt anyone they legally cannot stop you from leaving.

This isn't anyone's fault. A young man had problems that aren't really solved without a ton of personal help/support and the will to keep going with treatment. He may have not had a good support system.

Seriously people if you feel like there is no place to turn to, or you just need something to help, the are many services that will give you a hand. It isn't charity it's humanity. All you have to do is take that one terrifying and possibly embarrassing step to ask for help. Just that one step could help you in so many ways.
100%. Quoting so more people read this.

The sad fact of the matter is that there isn't much that could've been done if he did not express a desire to be helped. You can't force someone against their will to be admitted for an extended period of time. He even said in his last video that he wasn't willing to face the consequences of his actions (I may be paraphrasing a bit).

I understand that people are angry, but I don't think channeling that anger towards mods and the forum in general are helping any. What would happen if those threads stayed open? More people saying it was all fake?

It's a tragic situation, and a sad story all around. Hopefully it encourages people to seek help. May he Rest In Peace

Oct 31, 2017
RIP Etika. Saw a few of his Xenoblade 2 reactions and found it legitimately entertaining. Truly sad that he ended up down this road.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
A hundred times this.

But let's be real, these people are never going to change, shades of grey doesn't exist in their world. Your with them, or against them. Sickenly narrow-minded...

Like the people asking for members who were wrong about Etika to be perm'd?

They probably learned their lesson. I suspect their problem was one of emphasis: yes, mental health issues are brought up disingenuously all the time (e.g., "surely this white person isn't actually openly racist and is just going through an episode??"); no, people with mental health issues don't necessarily start behaving this or that way; yes, there's a need to hold irresponsible streamers accountable ... and yet, the #1 thing that mattered in this instance, as we all know very well now, was making sure Etika got the help he needed.

It would have been understandable to call out some of the things he did, to show apprehension, but the thing some people forgot was to fill in the most important part of those sentences: "...and I hope he gets whatever help he needs."

That's the thing: we have a framework for dealing with the bullshit that comes out of streamers and their fans. We have a framework for maneuvering around attempts to blame people's flaws on mental health issues. But that framework failed in this case, and the discussion very much needed to be supplemented by a much stronger framework for maneuvering around mental health.

This is one of those cases where, although some people had a significantly better approach than others, we collectively fucked up. Feel free to call out the individuals who especially fell short, but I don't think improving our community requires getting rid of them. We can all learn from this.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
mods will probably temporarily lock thread soon and then ban metacommentary, another issue with discussing the problems that plague the place

Deleted member 12186

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I understand some of the things he said were terrible and offensive. Those whom it affected have every right to be offended. Although I'd say the context matters in which something is said that should be taken into consideration, that didn't matter to some. All I ask is don't get in the way or condemn those who try to see past the action and instead the core of the problems.

Rip

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
RIP. He shouldn't have been released this soon, we need better systems to treat patients with severe Mental Health problems.

Also, I'll rather not comment on how some people here seems to be more busy pointing fingers than actually caring about the core of the matter, that is the deficience our system has to treat patients with mental health issues.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey:

Was anyone warned for this at all? It seems very against the following

Obituary Threads

While context will be taken into account, we do not welcome celebration or cheering for the death of public figures. Members that appear to be using an obituary thread as an opportunity to post vitriol will be moderated. There will be no shortage of opportunities to discuss the legacy of a public figure in other, later, threads. We simply do not want to celebrate death.

And

Dismissive and Disruptive Behavior
Low effort, inflammatory, or insensitive drive by posting is always unacceptable. However, it is especially inappropriate in serious and sensitive discussions. Threads involving race, gender identity, sexuality, sexual assault or harassment, sexualization of minors, or any marginalized minority groups should be approached with sensitivity. Dismissive or disruptive behavior in these threads will be usually be met with a ban. The following are examples of such behavior:
  • Dismissing the importance of issues that concern women or minorities and/or denying the experiences of users affected by these issues.
  • Lamenting or mocking the sensitivity or "outrage" of others in reference to legitimate concerns, or claiming that members are pretending to be offended.
  • Condescendingly talking down to people who are affected by sensitive issues.
  • Trying to derail the discussion such that it is no longer about the group of people that are affected by the issue.
  • Attempting to shut down the discussion altogether.
  • Framing support or defense of abhorrent views as questions in order to make them seem acceptable, and/or as a means of shifting the burden of proof on to others.
Please note that dismissing, downplaying, or making light of sexual assault allegations will lead to a lengthy ban.

Inflammatory Generalizations

Context and intent will matter here, but take care to avoid making inflammatory generalizations that are likely to cause offense. This includes generalizations regarding gender, race, sexuality, nationality, and ethnicity. It can also apply to inflammatory accusations made against large groups or communities of people. Always try to make nuanced points rather than broad and sweeping statements.

Inflammatory Defense/Support

Defending heinous behaviors (especially those related to bigotry) or supporting individual public figures who are guilty of the same can constitute inflammatory posting, even if the tone of your post is otherwise mild. Note that members found trying to abuse this policy to bait others into bans will instead be moderated themselves. This policy is intended to guard against provocation, not encourage interrogation.

Jack Bauer

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
Late last year, I was lucky enough to be eligible for free professional counseling through a non-profit in Montana. The state also picked up the bill for my stay in a crisis stabilization facility. It literally saved my life.

Now that I've moved, I have to shell out thousands of dollars a year for insurance that will cover MH services. I'm lucky I can afford it. Others obviously aren't. My point is, I wish there was more free and accessible help available for people in this country. I don't know why it's not a nationwide thing.

So many people fall through the cracks.

RIP to this young man. It's a sad day.

fiskyfisko

Mar 23, 2018
Hey:

Classic Era.

someone says few bad things and for some it's free real estate to go nuclear on them, and mods are asleep.
This mob mentality and pages of shitting on people should be banned here.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Temporarily locking thread while we review reports

Thread guidelines

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
Official Staff Communication
This tragedy is not an opportunity for drama, it is not entertainment, nor is it an occasion to organize harassment against people who most likely already feel terrible about what has happened here. Our guide/FAQ states:

"Members that appear to be using an obituary thread as an opportunity to post vitriol will be moderated."

Attempting to hurt or punish is a poor way to pay your respects. This thread began with a tremendous outpouring of sympathy and support. It must not end by tearing itself apart.

As always, our Mental Health community welcomes members seeking support or company during difficult times like these:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/mental-health-era-ot2-community-and-understanding.95803/

If you or someone you know is suffering, additional help is available:

International: https://ibpf.org/resource/list-international-suicide-hotlines
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_suicide_crisis_lines

US: https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/chat/
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255

UK: http://www.samaritans.org
Samaritan Lifeline: 116 123

US/UK: https://www.crisistextline.org/

AUS: https://www.lifeline.org.au/
Lifeline Australia: 13 11 14

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This not only makes my heart sink, but it also makes me angry knowing how people treated him. I couldn't even escape seeing that attitude on this very forum.

Of course he wanted attention. He needed attention. I've lost enough people in my life that went through years of this. Their cries for help turned into weapons against them.

I hope that those users on this very forum who dismissed and joked about his mental health issues feel good about themselves.

And I hope those users who claimed that we should ban discussion if this turned out to be a false flag feel good about themselves. Congratulations, he isn't banned on this forum, he did go through with it. Fucking hell.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
If there is one thing that I think absolutely must change about the modern streamer culture, it is this: Audiences literally cheering on the real-time mental descent of this man while bottom-feeding tabloidists sought to make money off it and further provoke him. I strongly believe his police encounter should not have been allowed to have been livestreamed, and that he should not have retained access to a streaming platform amidst his breakdown.

I believe that when it comes right down to it at the very end, someone who is sufficiently dedicated to the goal of ending their life can and will find a way to do so. There is only so much that public bystanders or even licensed agents can do in such cases. Etika's standoff with the police was, frankly, miraculous. Though he was at great risk for harming himself and others in that moment, even now I don't know that a mandatory hold could have done much.
I do not believe that holding a person in miserable conditions, denying them their autonomy, in order to keep them alive is necessarily an act of generosity.

I am quoting these posts as I believe they deserve to be reposted:

The system has been fucked since Reagan and his handling of the hospitals. I absolutely hate Baker acting someone. You're taking away the last thing people have some control over which is personal freedom with the goal of protecting them. The 72 hrs is really to get them typically out of the psychosis, get them on/back on meds, and hopefully transition out with support. It doesn't always work that way especially when people leave AMA after the hold is over.

Yes mental health services in the US and a lot of other places are seriously lacking, yes it is a very real and very sad problem, however there is one ugly truth.

There is no cure.

For almost every mental health issue. There is only treatment, some treatments make the person not feel like themselves or super foggy, plus unless they are an active danger to themselves or others you can't hold a person against their will; that's how you end up with Asylums from decades/centuries past. As of now the current psych hold is 96hrs excluding weekends or holidays.

Once you are done with that and can have a lucid moment where you let your physician know that you are feeling okay and don't want to hurt anyone they legally cannot stop you from leaving.

This isn't anyone's fault. A young man had problems that aren't really solved with a ton of personal help and the will to keep going with treatment. He may have not had a good support system.

Seriously people if you feel like there is no place to turn to, or you just need something to help, the are many services that will give you a hand. It isn't charity it's humanity. All you have to do is take that one terrifying and possibly embarrassing step to ask for help. Just that one step could help you in so many ways.

A more accurate statement would be no one was willing to lock him up and force help on him.

Getting an involuntary hold isn't a low bar, and with good reason.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Man, don't even watch him content but what I did see I knew he needed help. All the canceling bullshit was just that. People quick to dash another human to the curb because of mental issues, and some of the worst things I've read on this site too.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Era needs to fundamentally reform the way it approaches conversations around mental illness. There is no rule against ableism on Era and why its tolerated is beyond me. This board is not a safe space for people suffering from mental illness and long before the Etika incident the way people on this board openly mocked people with mental health issues with zero consequences ripped me apart and deeply hurt as someone with a life-long history of mental health struggles.

I hope we can take this as an opportunity to listen and learn because what's happening now on this board is systemic ableism and there needs to be a fundamental review of policy

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
My condolences to everyone affected.
RIP. He shouldn't have been released this soon, we need better systems to treat patients with severe Mental Health problems.

Also, I'll rather not comment on how some people here seems to be more busy pointing fingers than actually caring about the core of the matter, that is the deficience our system has to treat patients with mental health issues.
This.

It's undeniable that previous comments have been disgusting and if some people want to turn this tragedy into Twitter drama then yikes. Report posts which are against the rules.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
RIP Erika. Been quietly following this story, was hoping it wouldn't end like this, fuck

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Today we lost someone that didn't have to end it this way. It's honestly a shame.
Same shit happened to Lil Peep. Everything he did all his cries for help on Instagram had been brushed off everything he had been saying was just touted at being a part of his image. But really everyone ignored some of his last cries before it was too late.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
User banned (1 week): Ignoring staff post, trolling, member has a prior infraction for ableism
Feeling bad is punishment enough. Circle the wagons. Protect "trusted" members. Remove their hateful words. Forgive and forget.

RIP

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Damn. That's really sad. I'm not familiar with him, but how heartbreaking. My heart goes out to all of his loved ones. :(

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I was too upset and mad to post anything before. But I'll quote myself from another thread:

I have severe depression. But I have never thought of killing myself cause to me that would not only cause pain to myself, but to others.

But you know what? Not everyone thinks like me. Not everyone is me. And we should NEVER take any idea of suicide lightly. No matter how much the person has changed or attempted before, it's always important. It's always crucial. Don't ever downplay no matter how much a past history has hurt you or gotten you mad. A person who goes through mental problems can completely change themselves.

Take these things seriously. Because they literally can happened to anyone. And the worst thing we can think of afterwards is "It might have been!" Let's not get to that. Let's help as much as we possibly can. Even if they don't ask for help.

RIP Etika. I'm really gonna miss you. Even though this past year has been really difficult, I'll always remember the greatest moments you shared with the world. Like the Smash Ultimate roster reveal and other videos of that time. I can only hope that now you will finally find peace.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
RIP Etika. Hopefully everyone here has learned a lesson about the seriousness of mental illness. Hopefully mods & posters alike will reflect on their behavior in past threads involving this topic.

Etika, I am so sorry that you couldn't find a way to live with yourself. You will be missed.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Its messed up that he was in custody not long ago when it was obvious to everyone that he wasn't OK but they just let him go like "he's fine". He obviously wasn't. This most likely would have been avoided if he had got the help he needed when he needed it. Its a shame.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Era needs to fundamentally reform the way it approaches conversations around mental illness. There is no rule against ableism on Era and why its tolerated is beyond me. This board is not a safe space for people suffering from mental illness and long before the Etika incident the way people on this board openly mocked people with mental health issues with zero consequences ripped me apart and deeply hurt as someone with a life-long history of mental health struggles.

I hope we can take this as an opportunity to listen and learn because what's happening now on this board is systemic ableism and there needs to be a fundamental review of policy
Actions speak louder than words....

I'm pissed as hell at how Etika was treated here, but apparently cannot express that fact without retaliation now.

Loveless

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck man RIP. But I'm so much fucking more pissed off on how people treated this as a fucking joke.