• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
RIP omg. I can't believe this.

This is why folks were "using mental health issues to excuse him", dude needed help - but we were too late.
Yep.

Fuck everyone who was tossing his cries for help to the side and making jokes about it. This is horrible. Mental health is no joke. Fuck man.

Oct 25, 2017
I said unkind and unhelpful things about etika in earlier threads and I feel bad about that. A young person shouldn't face those kind of problems without the support they need. I should have been more considerate and thoughtful.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
I just have to say that the "I told you so" posts and doubt-shaming maybe belong in their own thread and discussion. In this thread they're coming across really distastefully, even though it's obviously really important that we all learn an important lesson from this episode.

RIP. Reach out to someone *today* who you know is struggling with their mental health.
They're well deserved considering the man got constantly shitted on by this forum every time when there was a clear mental health problem affecting his behavior.
You can't have a progressive forum that markets itself as a safe space also constantly mocking a person with a mental illness, especially with consequences as grave as these.

vitamind

Nov 1, 2018
The system has been fucked since Reagan and his handling of the hospitals. I absolutely hate Baker acting someone. You're taking away the last thing people have some control over which is personal freedom with the goal of protecting them. The 72 hrs is really to get them typically out of the psychosis, get them on/back on meds, and hopefully transition out with support. It doesn't always work that way especially when people leave AMA after the hold is over.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
RIP.

It was obvious he was mentally ill. This forum's reaction was embarrassing

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I'm not just sad. I'm fucking furious. Furious that he had been showing signs of mental health issues for months, if not longer, and yet was being clowned on constantly by an ignorant fanbase with memes and shitposts, including here on Era.

Society failed Etika. We failed Etika. Fuck this.

Yeah that's what gets me the most. People were fucking memeing about it and treating his mental illness like it was joke.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
RIP. Hope his family and friends find sollace during these tough times.

Cappa

Oct 25, 2017
Jesús christ rip......this makes those already shitty comments by that POS boogie all the much worse

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
This is just devastating for me. Been watching Etika's stuff for years and to see him gone like this...RIP.

Fuck everyone in the suicidal apology video thread that shrugged it off with boy cried wolf nonsense/inappropriate memes. Hope you learned something from this.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Rest in peace Etika, your reaction videos were best in the biz because you were passionate AF.

Mental issues are no joke and everyone should realize that.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I feel like there is a lot to unpack here: the 24/7 never sleeping streamer culture, the fact that streamers might not be well equipped mentally for fame and that streamers are literally just everyday people with flaws.

Edgy 12 years old kids made it their playground.

this 100%

sure, the guy was mentally not really stable but there is definitely also this new media consumption stuff to blame. need to stream, need followers, need to keep up the content for exactly what? this throws many people that are not up to the pressure under the bus

RIP, a shame that he didn´t get the help he needed

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people don't understand what it's like to be suicidal mainly because it's just not something that we talk about as a society. It's stigmatized and meant to be hidden away from others, but suicidal feelings don't just come out of nowhere and then go away just as suddenly most of the time. I was suicidal for years, making plans, coming within an inch of doing it, before I finally managed to get proper help and attempt to move past those feelings. I tried reaching out for help to people close to me several times throughout that time, and even strangers, but people feel that you aren't actually suffering because you keep barely resisting those feelings. It's normal to play off those feelings as "just a joke" or a prank or whatever because being vulnerable in our society, especially when you have a massive Internet fanbase isn't easy.

It's incredibly tragic that it went this way, and I really hope that we can stop failing the people who need help.
Man I'm so sorry to hear that, but glad to see you're doing better now. You're exactly right in that there's definitely a stigma associated with suicide. I've never been suicidal myself, but I've had close friends in such situations and it's really scary. People love to joke about suicide or assume said suicidal person is just "exaggerating" when that's such a shitty response to such a serious issue.

In cases like Etika, it feels in part that the people trolling him are in part what brought him to this level. Wonder if those people feel proud about themselves or something now. Fucking pathetic. Bullies exist in all shapes and forms.

Darkgran

Oct 27, 2017
Same. Every single person who mocked him should receive a permanent ban. That includes the now ex-mod who posted the gif. People have been banned for much, much less.

I agree with this 100%

Every single one of them should be ashamed of themselves and take a good hard look at themselves in the mirror.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not just sad. I'm fucking furious. Furious that he had been showing signs of mental health issues for months, if not longer, and yet was being clowned on constantly by an ignorant fanbase with memes and shitposts, including here on Era.

Yeah it makes me angry. I'm at work and this is pissing me off so much. Just, here of all places too, just, fucking wow.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
Past 6 months or so, hes gone off the wall on twitter and in videos that went viral. It all seemed like a call for help, but many people tried to say he was doing it for internet fame or points. Last thing he did was livestream him saying goodbye. Again, people tried to say he did it for fame.

Honestly sad people think this way
A lot of people making jokes and not taking his obvious mental health decline seriously. Also a lot of people trying to shame people for their concern because, as Etika's mental health obviously slipped, he began saying some hateful things.

There's a dreadful misconception some have that mental illness "unmasks who you really are", when it in fact can make someone who is genuinely kind say and do horrid things. Some people here refused to show any concern for Etika's predicament purely because of the awful things he said in his mental decline.

Holy shit. I hope they take seriously going forward. This isn't a game.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Holy shit. RIP
You never know, that's why you have to take it serious every time. Even if any past incidence was "just a hoax"
Hope he is in a better place now.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Was bound to happen, don't know why they didn't court order him into a mental health facility on any of the last few stunts he pulled. He would still be alive today if so.

There has to come a time where if someone is a danger to themselves or the public where they lose the right to sign themsves out. Have the courts pass that off to the parents, sibling, loved one, something.

Abhor

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I wasn't a fan of him, but he needed and deserved help. People that mocked him and didn't take it seriously especially on this forum should be ashamed and resolve to better themselves. Is having a bit of empathy that fucking hard for people?

Oct 26, 2017
Man I remember Etika and Alex CND kinda blew up around the time Switch launched, no?

To see where they were two years ago to how much anguish they both were in in recent months is heart breaking

Armite

Mar 30, 2018
I didn't follow the guy but this is still incredibly sad to find out, especially after hearing he's been showing signs of poor mental health for a while and the necessary help wasn't there.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Oh no... was really hoping they'd find him safe and sound, even despite how unlikely it was becoming.

Rest In Peace.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the "he's doing this for attention" posts are even more gross now than they were already. Rest in Peace. Mental health isn't a joke.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Nah man, never too early.

Giving our thoughts and prayers is never enough.

Wasn't saying we cross our hands on our laps and offer thoughts and prayers.

I'm just saying this thread might have been the perfect place to finally unanimously celebrate this person and the things that he created that we loved. He was torn down by toxicity, and bringing that same spirit of toxicity into this thread feels wrong *to me.*

The way it's happening isn't constructive, it's vindictive. That kind of expression of anger is mainly gratifying to the one expressing it and doesn't do much to honor the deceased. That's just my two cents. I know everyone is upset.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A lot of people making jokes and not taking his obvious mental health decline seriously. Also a lot of people trying to shame people for their concern because, as Etika's mental health obviously slipped, he began saying some hateful things.

There's a dreadful misconception some have that mental illness "unmasks who you really are", when it in fact can make someone who is genuinely kind say and do horrid things. Some people here refused to show any concern for Etika's predicament purely because of the awful things he said in his mental decline.
There was even a user saying that someone should just make a suicide OT because he's just faking it and will continue to do so.

coconut gun

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

go off king

you're 100% right

ShiftyHermit

Oct 27, 2017
Then we have a very deficient mental health system where people who are not cured can just walk away without any follow-ups.

Yes mental health services in the US and a lot of other places are seriously lacking, yes it is a very real and very sad problem, however there is one ugly truth.

There is no cure.

For almost every mental health issue. There is only treatment, some treatments make the person not feel like themselves or super foggy, plus unless they are an active danger to themselves or others you can't hold a person against their will; that's how you end up with Asylums from decades/centuries past. As of now the current psych hold is 96hrs excluding weekends or holidays.

Once you are done with that and can have a lucid moment where you let your physician know that you are feeling okay and don't want to hurt anyone they legally cannot stop you from leaving.

This isn't anyone's fault. A young man had problems that aren't really solved without a ton of personal help/support and the will to keep going with treatment. He may have not had a good support system.

Seriously people if you feel like there is no place to turn to, or you just need something to help, the are many services that will give you a hand. It isn't charity it's humanity. All you have to do is take that one terrifying and possibly embarrassing step to ask for help. Just that one step could help you in so many ways.

Last edited: