• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Colloco

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
florida
Stunned. This news hurts my heart, I've always appreciated Etika for the passionate love he had for our hobby.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Fuck, I heard there had been a body found on the news this morning. Just utterly sad.

Rest in Peace.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I'm not just sad. I'm fucking furious. Furious that he had been showing signs of mental health issues for months, if not longer, and yet was being clowned on constantly by an ignorant fanbase with memes and shitposts, including here on Era.

Society failed Etika. We failed Etika. Fuck this.

Pretty much. I hope this showcases how much complete bullshit mental health is in this country and how fucking horrible social media can be for those with mental health issues. Etika had above all else passion, passion for the industry, passion for Nintendo, and passion for Smash Bros. His reactions to everything were among the best parts of every Nintendo direct. And people tore him apart for expressing himself and doing what he loved to do.

End of story. If you need help, ask for help. Hell, PM me if you need to talk, I'm always here. We need more people in this world who are more willing to help others rather than put people down - A LOT more.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
This is deeply depressing. With the signs being broadcast around the Internet it feels particularly tragic that this would happen.

I hope his friends and family can find the strength to get through this, and that this is remembered as an example of why the signs of mental health disorders should never be dismissed.

Last edited:

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The man was seriously ill yet you could never discuss anything on this very forum because everyone liked to clown on him because he said a bad word probably due to the fact he was obviously mentally unwell.

Then social media glorified his very problematic moments like breaking furniture over Smash characters, getting into a police standoff, getting hauled off by the same police, and pretended nothing was wrong when he came back to stream.

Then we have a very deficient mental health system where people who are not cured can just walk away without any follow-ups.

This whole situation is tragic and this forum acting like they weren't constantly shitting on him before today should be embarrased.
Well said. I got hounded and then banned for saying something. That's why I pretty much stick to the football thread or stick to threads about games that interest me. As someone who suffered depression and suicidal thoughts, I was appalled by someone of the post in threads about him. And the mods on here were no help either. They are too busy warning and banning people over stupid shit.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there is a lot to unpack here: the 24/7 never sleeping streamer culture, the fact that streamers might not be well equipped mentally for fame and that streamers are literally just everyday people with flaws.

Edgy 12 years old kids made it their playground.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I may have had some less than charitable feelings about the outcome of Etika's multiple breakdowns in the past but I have to imagine that, in retrospect, I think I just projected to distract from the fact that the facilities just failed to take him at all seriously. It is undeniable that he needed help of some kind, especially after the last time he got arrested, and it's frustrating that he was failed to be given that.

Fuck, this is so, so frustrating.

Necrokey

Jan 20, 2019
Orlando, Florida
R.I.P, im hoping your in a better place and can see how your content created so much joy for so many around the world. I may not have personally watched you a lot but just thinking about your reaction to the persona 5 battle theme brings a smile to my face. Thank you

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
RIP Etika. I enjoyed the over-the-top vids as it was how the inner child in me was truly reacting during a lot of those Nintendo Direct presentations.

We really need to remove the stigma behind mental health services. I'm of the opinion that all youtube influencers should check in once in a while with a counselor even if its just to talk. The meteoric rise of just living a simple life to having hundreds of thousands of followers (sometimes millions in a brief amount of time) can be pretty jarring mentally, emotionally and spiritually. Take care folks.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
As someone both suffering from, and close to people also suffering from depression (including a few attempted suicides and a successful one), I couldn't help but think this was the inevitable outcome when he kept getting hospitalized and then released after a couple days, especially in such a clearly unstable way. Fuck any mental health system that fails people in such a monumentally catastrophic and yet entirely predictable way. >:(

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I met him at PAX East a couple years ago. He was a really cool guy.

Also, fuck everyone who went after him for his illness. He didn't deserve this. Seriously, I think mods should comb through the other thread and start issuing bans.
Same. Every single person who mocked him should receive a permanent ban. That includes the now ex-mod who posted the gif. People have been banned for much, much less.

Feb 5, 2018
Past 6 months or so, hes gone off the wall on twitter and in videos that went viral. It all seemed like a call for help, but many people tried to say he was doing it for internet fame or points. Last thing he did was livestream him saying goodbye. Again, people tried to say he did it for fame.

Honestly sad people think this way

kylecoley182

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember some people thought he was faking his mental illness on here. It was disgusting. We lost a good soul folks. Remember you think someone is in pain please help.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Why couldn't I find this via search? I can never get that working properly....

Really sad. Despite his behaviours the root cause was untreated mental issues that should never, EVER be ignored. As a society, we have a responsibility we're ignoring here.

RIP.

Oct 25, 2017
youtube-etika-missing-nintendo-switch.png

Gonna miss him. Watching his videos and Reaction to Smash bros always mad me feel good, when i felt down. He didn't realize how important he was to other people.

lol at that pic.

3 jugs of cream, a roll of toilet paper, and an anime girl.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people making jokes and not taking his obvious mental health decline seriously. Also a lot of people trying to shame people for their concern because, as Etika's mental health obviously slipped, he began saying some hateful things.

There's a dreadful misconception some have that mental illness "unmasks who you really are", when it in fact can make someone who is genuinely kind say and do horrid things. Some people here refused to show any concern for Etika's predicament purely because of the awful things he said in his mental decline.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
An incredible hype man, gone far too soon. Please reach out to friends, family or anyone who can offer you connection and community if you are struggling! Don't try to fight your battles solo.

Oct 26, 2017
Rest in peace, Etika. Mental health issues are no joke but they're so casually dismissed or even mocked by those who don't understand what it's like, lack empathy, or went through relatively minor ones themselves. I can only help that they're taken more seriously in the future

Wate

May 22, 2019
New media seems like a very perilous place for people afflicted with certain kinds of mental illness. Even in everyday life, people with Bipolar disorder find themselves celebrated during manic episodes and shunned during depressive ones. I didn't watch Etika but it seems like he must have been wrestling with something similar. Without proper support, trying to tackle one half of your condition while people encourage the other would easily spiral out of control.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
Quoting this for another page.

Unfamiliar with him but needed help and never got it.

Goddammit, man. He didn't deserve this- he was obviously in need of help when he was put under arrest. Fuck man.

If you feel you might be suicidal, and live in the United States, I urge you to call the Suicide Hotline at 800-273-8255 or navigate to http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/ for a live chat and additional resources. If it's not an emergency, but you want to know more about mental health, the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) offers information on their website https://www.nami.org/ and a free HELPLINE 800-950-6264. If you do not live in the United States please seek out local resources. /r/SuicideWatch has a list that may cover your country: /r/SuicideWatch/wiki/hotlines Let me know if you need any other guidance to people who help.