• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
If you feel you might be suicidal, and live in the United States, I urge you to call the Suicide Hotline at 800-273-8255 or navigate to http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/ for a live chat and additional resources. If it's not an emergency, but you want to know more about mental health, the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) offers information on their website https://www.nami.org/ and a free HELPLINE 800-950-6264. If you do not live in the United States please seek out local resources. /r/SuicideWatch has a list that may cover your country: /r/SuicideWatch/wiki/hotlines Let me know if you need any other guidance to people who help.

Thank you for this. I lifted your list and used on Twitter.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck man, I'm sad. rip Man. I just loved his infectious enthusiasm, so it hurts to see him struggle through this.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My prayers really go out to his mother too. Two of her children dead at such young ages. Fucking tragic as hell.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All those assholes that were mad at him should be ashamed.

Mental health is a real, important thing.

I hope he rests in peace.
It's easy to say this now, but when he said those things, you can't blame people for being angry. That should've been the sign for people close him to acknowledge that something wasn't right. People really dont take mental health seriously and wait until too long before deciding it's time to maybe see if something is wrong. Seriously people, if you know something is off about someone close to you, just talk to them! Don't stand around and ignore it. RIP.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Oh that's sad to hear, its awful that he wasn't able to get the help he clearly needed.

Its sometimes the hardest thing to do but its so important to try and reach out to people you know who are suffering, be well everyone!

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
I still can't believe this is real. This is so insane to me.

I really didn't think he would be the one to do this. I really didn't.....

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Mental health and suicide among youths is starting to get out of control, at least from my experiences. Just last year one of my best friends from high school killed himself, and then there was a big problem at my university where at least 3 other students killed themselves throughout the year, and just last month, my cousin attempted suicide. It's a real sad state of affairs where mental health is still a taboo issue to talk about. This stigma and lack of transparency between friends and family needs to end. For those who need help, seek it, and for those who support said individuals, treat those concerns with the utmost seriousness.

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
Fuck, this is terrible. Mental health issues aren't a joke, that's about all that can be said. RIP man.

Croco

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
RIP. Can't believe not even a month ago I was watching his E3 streams. This is extremely sad.

Joegrine_25

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Trinidad and Tobago
Almost a week after popular streamer Etika, whose real name is Daniel Desmond Amofah uploaded a video to YouTube entitled "I'm Sorry," in which he's walking outside in New York and saying what sounds like to many of fans, a final goodbye, the New York Police Department confirmed that they recovered his body from the East River, a half mile from the Manhattan Bridge, where Etika was seen walking toward in his final video. He was 29 years old.

https://heavy.com/news/2019/06/etika-dead/

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
:(
rest in peace
hopefully this leads to changes in peoples hearts in not being dismissive of mental health issues and cries for help

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I'm not just sad. I'm fucking furious. Furious that he had been showing signs of mental health issues for months, if not longer, and yet was being clowned on constantly by an ignorant fanbase with memes and shitposts, including here on Era.

Society failed Etika. We failed Etika. Fuck this.

I'll just echo this, because I do not have the words to properly express my feelings right now.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I had a feeling it was his body they found.

People, please take mental health seriously. "Just doing it for attention" is in fact a sign of poor mental health. People who have it mostly together do not fake commiting suicide and shut themselves off from the world.

I actually didn't watch his final video until yesterday. I'm very surprised anyone thought it wasn't genuine. What really got me was him saying he was disappointed he wasn't gonna see Attack on Titan. It sounds silly but those are the parts of you that want to stick around trying to grab onto something, anything that will make you change your mind (I've been there).

I'm also very intrigued to see exactly what happened to make him do this. He came across like he had done something irredeemable in his mind and couldn't face the consequences. He had said something along those lines. I feel like there's more to the story that will be unfolded in the investigation.

R.I.P. Etika. You were a wild one but you went way too young and I wish you got the help you needed when you were alive

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's clear that he needed more help than he was ever able to properly receive. There are few things more dangerous for an individual than poor mental health. Rest in peace.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Almost a week after popular streamer Etika, whose real name is Daniel Desmond Amofah uploaded a video to YouTube entitled "I'm Sorry," in which he's walking outside in New York and saying what sounds like to many of fans, a final goodbye, the New York Police Department confirmed that they recovered his body from the East River, a half mile from the Manhattan Bridge, where Etika was seen walking toward in his final video. He was 29 years old.

https://heavy.com/news/2019/06/etika-dead/
search

TarzanUSP

May 12, 2019
I don't believe I won't see more reactions from Etika getting nuts with Nintendo announcements. I'm so broken. RIP.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
It breaks my heart to see this, dude has had issues for months that have been escalating with time yet he never got the help he was desperately clamoring for.

He will be missed, his over the top reactions somehow felt so legitimate compared to many others.

Damn, this sucks.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I have no words. RIP. I hope his family and friends get to grieve in some kind of peace. There has to be better ways of dealing with/helping people who quite obviously have mental health issues. And if anyone feels suicidal, please talk to someone. There will always be people out there that will listen to you. Suicides happen far too often and it's one of the biggest killers of young men especially.

Also fuck those who downplayed this shit.

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
I saw his live stream of him being arrested and he clearly wasn't in right mind. Its sad it had to come to this. Shit dude. Rip.

ElOdyssey

Oct 30, 2017
I was out of video games for probably about 10 years, this guy brought me back in with his excitement for the Switch before and after it's release. One of the realest of dudes, going to miss him a lot
Watching him with Alex camp out for so many days to finally get the Switch was one of the best moments in gaming for me. I'm so gutted by this. :(

VoidPlot

Nov 1, 2017
Horrible news . I wasn't a huge fan as my little brother who was a fan of his streams but i'll Never forget how happy my brother met one his favorite streamers when we were lining up for A pokemon midnight release in NYC. He was Vlogging the line and my brother freaked out when he saw him. "Omg Etika you are here" it was a very touching moment seeing both of them smile like crazy . Rest In Peace Etika 😭

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Oooof. Awful.

The signs were clearly there but this kind of thing is so hard to handle. It's very difficult to get through to someone that they need help sometimes.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still very angry at that previous thread, showing how callous some people on this very forum were about the whole situation. I don't care what he did before, dude did not deserve that, he deserved help and recovery. Rest in peace.

100% ashamed to be a part of this community knowing how some people acted. Have family that suffers from bipolar disorder. Have friends. If they were seeking attention constantly and having trouble I sure as fuck wouldn't cut them out of my life. I'm glad I didn't see the thread until after because I would have said some insulting stuff and gotten myself into trouble.

fossi8

One Winged Slayer
Apr 22, 2018
Rest in Peace bro, your videos were the first I used to watch after nintendo directs/news. We are gonna miss you so much.

MrMegaMill

Nov 28, 2017
People often think those with fame, notoriety or money shouldn't complain about their lives or need help, but that is just not the case. Look at Anthony Bourdain, Robin Williams, and now here. Mental illness affects everyone, no matter their stature in life.

RIP Etika. I hope you have what you need where you are now.